Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've finally found it: an LP that will actually kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Speaking of useful things to know, every NPC had extra things to say if you talk to them more, some moreso than others.

And sometimes if you talk to them from different directions! Vendors in particular will all do this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Three instances in this video where I shouted "no you fool!" at my screen, LP living up to my expectations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zernach posted:

It was the shopping, right?

going to spoiler this just in case: Gathering Swarm sooths my pennypinching soul, not a single geo lost to spikes

Nah it was traversal stuff, namely not unlocking routes that were right there for the unlocking (and that you had seen!). It'll get fixed eventually.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't deal with a game that doesn't give you a map that shows where you are on it by default, or requires you to give up precious badge slots to see where you are on it. So this only further confirms I would hate playing this game, and I'm glad to experience it via someone else playing it so I don't have to. :v: Because so much about this game is really neat, and I enjoy watching it.

Once you get deep enough into the game you can forgo the compass badge entirely, and just get by on room shape and landmarks. It makes the experience feel weirdly authentic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thank you for going into the Grub room, it looked like you were flirting with not checking it and I was going to be very cross if you skipped it!

Try walking up to a trapped Grub, getting its attention, and then walking away. The sound they make is very cute :3:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm behind an update, but that was some S-tier dodging and platforming in Fog Canyon. Especially the second big jellyfish that you killed where you knocked its brain into acid, preventing it from rushing at you to blow up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ah Tea you spoiled the name of an area that hasn't actually been revealed! Shame on you.

Also Nat you'll definitely want to get accustomed to using the dash in combat.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Like Tea pointed out in the video there's lots of really great details in the level art of this game. Some people say that it looks like a Flash game and I don't think they're totally wrong, but a lot of love and care went into the detailing for these areas.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fungal Wastes rocks, really good music and lots of environmental storytelling if you know what you're looking for. Also Cloth is the best.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Longclaw charm is great, I think I rolled with attack range extension for the entire game. It make pogo-ing more forgiving as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The Mantis Claw kicks rear end and opens up a ton of new stuff, as I'm sure you might have felt when looking at your map right after getting it. That said this area is really really cool and was the point in my first playthrough where I went from "hey this is pretty neat" to "oh wow there's something really special here", so I'm glad you went that way.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 10, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh good you went back and found the Nailsmith, I definitely did a large chunk of this area without finding him and boy was that a pain!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Haven't watched the video yet but at the start of this year I began another playthrough of this game and dropped it right where the previous update started, and tonight I picked it back up in part because of this LP. So thanks for that! My goal is to not just fall into the exact same route I took last time (which, based on the banner for the current update, isn't the route you're taking!)

Alxprit posted:

Very surprised that you stored your money instead of immediately buying the Lumafly Lantern back in town.

I hesitate to call any purchase in this game mandatory, but the Lantern is awfully close to being required to beat the game. It makes a few areas much more tolerable, to the point where I can't imagine doing them sans Lantern. In fact when I started up my playthrough just now I took a detour to Dirtmouth to buy the Lantern...only to realize that I had already purchased it :doh:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 15, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fractalairduct posted:

I assume you mean store bought upgrades, because you definitely need the upgrades like the dash, wall jump, double jump, and so on. You also actually do need the Lantern - Distant Village is behind a locked gate, and you can't open it in the dark, which I learned the hard way on my first attempt to get the speedrun achievements.

Oh yeah, I mean purchases specifically. And the area you mentioned was one of the last things I did in the game, though they pull that same trick elsewhere!

E: oh God I forgot about those enemies who split in half once you kill them.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 15, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Mantis Lords is one of the best fights in the game and Mark of Pride is one of the best charms in the game. Just a very good segment all around, and on my first playthrough I waited way too long to do this fight.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

What a lovely update :haw:

One of main devs does the voice of Dung Defender, he dropped a few lines live during a demo or some live event. There's a lot of really good fake voice acting in this game in general.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Team Cherry is based in Australia :eng101: I think they wanted each "speaking" bug to sound like a different actual language, but I don't know that it gets more complex than that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

YggiDee posted:

Team Cherry is based in Australia, and one of the devs hung around the main Hollow Knight thread for a while:

Hey there's a couple of names we haven't yet encountered in here that should be covered up, but that's a cool write-up regardless.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Longnail and Mark of Pride do indeed stack :eng101: There are a bunch of charms that interact with each other in special ways, though it's not obvious when you've come up with a functional pairing until you see it in action.

Also I'm almost certain that the big gold bug dropped 420 Geo :420:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Alxprit posted:

Crystal Peak! I always forget how exactly one gets here for whatever reason. I believe you can't interact with that tollgate without the lantern. It's one of my favorite areas in the game, mostly for its aesthetic. Can't wait to see more of it next time.

Correct, and the only other entrance is a one-way route. So if you enter by that way and don't have the Lantern, you're trapped until you "clear" this area. Guess what happened to me on my first playthrough!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

That fall is how I got to the Resting Grounds the first time.

I will say it's worth it to head back up and finish exploring what you can of Crystal Peak.

:same: to both. As someone else mentioned, the game does a good way of indirectly nudging you towards Resting Grounds after you've gotten the Mantis Claw.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Jumping down that shortcut early after how long it took you to clear that platforming challenge was :discourse:

They did a good job of making backtracking interesting and well-paced in this game. It feels like there's something to do in each area for just about every new movement upgrade you get. Plus you open up a lot of shortcuts in the process, there's a lot of those walls that are breakable from one side but that look normal from the other.

E: also thank you Tea for telling Nat that he can Dream Nail NPCs, I don't know that the game ever explicitly tells you this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Love that you went out of your way to go to the bank, had the menu open, decided to go buy something first, and then just forgot about going to the bank.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't think you can get the Fog Canyon map right now, but that doesn't mean you can't poke around! It's pretty brave that they give you the ability to explore part of it early, if you're feeling up to it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 6, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This was the first area I went to when I first got to the City of Tears lmao. Managed to get this boss in one try but it was, as you might guess, extremely harrowing! This whole little area has a a great sense of dread, I spent the whole time thinking "I shouldn't be here right now, right?".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Love the visual storytelling in this are with all of the bug corpses and journal tablets strewn about, and exits hastily blocked off with furniture. Some bad poo poo went down here for sure.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The pins were added as free DLC about a year after the game's release, so they literally were an afterthought :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Omobono posted:

Yeesh. Yeah that's bad.

If you think that's bad, apparently in version 1.0 there wasn't an audio cue for when Cornifer was nearby. I can't remember if his paper trail was still present or not though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
That secret passage from King's Station out to Kingdom's Edge was one of the very few things in this game that I was spoiled on. I'm glad I wasn't the only one going crazy by how close Nat got to discovering it on his own the first time!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tea I'm 99% sure this area was in the 1.0 release of the game, so I'm not sure that I understand your comment wondering how Nat will enjoy the DLC areas. In fact, without giving too much away, the content updates for this game did very little to add new areas to the map, and they were primarily about putting more stuff into the geography that was already there.

Also Nat I'm begging you, please use your map pins.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I cannot wait to see your backtracking videos. In my head, your to-do list is an absolute nightmare.

Also, fun fact/easter egg about the Colosseum: if you've encountered a certain NPC enough times in the wild, they show up as a bonus boss in that first Trial! And no, it's not Tiso.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 18, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

fractalairduct posted:

I forget how this works, has Tea been looked out of the Grey Prince fight now?

Nope, but obviously that fight is elsewhere even if it's unlocked by the same chain of events.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Cloth :unsmith: I'm glad you found that event because it's technically missable!

And yeah, real good atmosphere here too with the complete silence.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I missed that on my first playthrough.

This is actually the "good" ending for that particular plot thread!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I unironically like Quirrel as a cat name.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Gonna be mad at you until you go back to that hole you just breezed past on the run-up to Broken Vessel. Where's your explorer's instinct? :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until you rescue Zote.

Also if you haven't realized it by now, enemies love to make a beeline for you as soon as you start healing. You better be absolutely sure that you'll be able to pop off a heal in time if you go for one!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

Such as the secret room above and to the left of the Mantis Lords with a lifeblood cocoon in it, the only way to reach it is by climbing the closed door before challenging them... or with the crystal dash or double jump.

The what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh thank Goodness.

Also, if you go to the Failed Tramway before the Ancient Basin, Cloth will appear on the Tramway bench! All she says is "haha, this sucks".

Also also, I forgot to point it out before but the Ancient Basin stag station wasn't in the original release of the game. So if you wanted to come back to that area, you had to take the tram or hoof it from King's Station.