Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Grimmkin are annoying to hunt down and fight but also they spend the entire time laughing. They're the only thing in the game that made me turn the sound off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ah, Nightmare King Grimm. How I love to hate thee.

I bounced off Hollow Knight a few times because of things like the map system, difficult bosses, etc. I ended up cheesing through a bunch of bosses and getting only the basic ending then leaving it there. I still continued to listen to the hauntingly beautiful soundtrack, watching lore vids and the like, but this is the first LP of it I picked up. Watching Nat20 breeze through everything including Grimm (who I could only beat by cheesing with a spell build) inspired me to get good and give the game another shot.

Beating NKG took me about 3 hours spread through several days. Sharp Shadow is good, but it changes the distance of your dash and that throws me off, so instead I used Dreamshield which hits for about Nail damage (sans Unbreakable Strength) and sometimes hits NKG while he's above or under you which Sharp Shadow couldn't do. I did not heal at all except when he was staggered floating around, which barely is enough to get you one hit's worth of healing against his double mask damage.

I think your approach for the next episodes and the rest of the postgame content is a good one. It's a very briskly paced LP so far and 10+ episodes of bashing your head against the superhard stuff before getting to the ending would be a momentum killer.

Great show, you two. :)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The "teleports behind u" -> hiss and skitter -> dash uppercut combo is super rude and hits me nearly every time.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

She's no Quirrel, who is a sweet cinnamon roll too good and pure for this cruel world, but I appreciate how much fun she's having watching the world end.

If nothing else, she's the NPC I wish we could interact with more, because I imagine she must have interesting insights to offer about Hallownest's society back in the day.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I found Weaversong + Grubsong to be super useful for the Trial of Fool as the spiders would constantly harm any enemies on the ground while leeching Soul off them. I could leave one enemy alive, then heal while my spiderlings fill up my Soul meter. They also leeched Soul from the invincible Garpedes which was nice. I also stan by using Dreamshield for NKG to rack up tons of free hits when you dash over/under him.

But yeah pets are kinda niche which is a shame.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Take it from a coward who used Shape of Unn for all the late game bosses during his first playthrough: You were right when you said that healing is a crutch.

With NKG and several other bosses it's easier to simply not get hit and to do more damage, because a lot of the time trying to find windows to heal just means you get hit and are thus wasting Soul + Charm slots on said healing.

It's good that you're having fun though! I didn't enjoy my time with NKG half as much as you are doing. Judging by the number of pufferfish attacks and times he was staggered you were like 2-3 hits from beating him that one time, so you'll get him soon.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Doing the Radiance first try is up there with doing the Pale Flower quest on the first try as the most impressive things you've accomplished in this game. I'm really looking forward toi you tackling Godhome, I think you can do it, unlike most of us mere mortals.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I practiced Sly for an hour and change, made absolutely no progress in figuring him out, and decided I was satisfied with 110% completion, a 5h speedrun completion and a steel soul 100% completion. I love this game but I don't love twitchy precision fights like nkg or yoda enough to grind practice what's left at this point.

I know you can do 112%, you god-gamer you. Also, re: completion, let me add a correction to what Tea said: You don't need to beat stronger Zotes, the Eternal Ordeal or finish the Bestiary for that extra 2%,. Spoiler for what you have to do (no explicit names given) beat pantheon 3 & the mysterious last boss the statue said was left.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah that would be a lot better.

Congrats on 112%! Pure Vessel looks like a more cerebral fight than Sly so I'm a little sad I never unlocked him but ah well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The sane way to do pantheon of hallownest while still making it a boss rush like the rest would've been to just make it have all the new fights + NKG because that one isn't in the earlier pantheons. Then it's just the toughest fights in the game back to back no filler and it lasts about as long as all the others.

Like beating flukemarm and gorb again doesn't add anything meaningful to the experience.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

i just cheated myself access to godhome to access the sisters of battle because there is no way i'm doing the pantheons legit, can confirm they're super fun

flying nosk is a huge letdown tho, like it's arguably even easier than normal nosk who was already already a pretty weak fight

btw this is prob too late to get it into a regular episode but there is exactly one very minor bit of exploration left that i'm pretty sure tea has forgotten about there is another essence tree inside the snail shaman's shell in the infected crossroads

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Modding Steam HK is relatively painless. You just gotta choose to opt into betas from the Steam menu to downgrade your version of the game (the only option listed should be v.1.4.3.2 so pick that one) and then use the mod installer to cherry pick what mods you want. IIRC there should be a Steam guide with both download links and an explanation of what each mod does.

Thanks for the LP, you two. I may not be able to follow live but I'll definitely watch any bonus videos you upload later.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

For a moment I thought you were going to beat it on your first try, you madlad. Clearly I underestimated the monstrous difficulty of this boss, which... Sheesh! The frequency of attacks makes some sequences feel really unfair. Also the particle effects and color palette do not help. Like there were multiple points in which I went "wait what even hit him just now?".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Literally the first try today. Nat, what the hell.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

After that display last stream it isn't really much of a surprise but... Still, holy macaroni, you did it. Well done and congratulations. What else can be said at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just when I thought Nat was getting tilted, I checked how much video was left and, with only four minutes left, thought "Guess there'll be a part 2 to this later". Then he nails it in the time left. He didn't even die to the surprise gotcha at the end! Stellar job.