Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

SirSamVimes posted:

I really do love the fact that Cornifer basically drops this game's thesis statement on you when you first meet him.

"There is a joy in getting lost and finding your way again. We are exquisitely lucky, you and I."

Thank god there aren't any sprout moles in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Since they're so tiny, bugs don't take fall damage in real life, either.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This thread convinced me to buy the game. I just finished Greenpath. Dunno if I'll catch up with Nat before he beats the game, but I'll try.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Cactus posted:

Go a different route. Just because you can.

:yeah:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I just finished beating three bosses in a row: the Mantis Lords and two Nat hasn't seen yet. I'm a bit peeved that, using my preferred method of following the walls clockwise, I didn't get to talk to Cornifer in the Fungal Wastes, since his spot is one of the last places I visited there.

Crystal Peak is the next area I'm gonna visit, so I'm looking forward to fighting the guardian myself.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I also beat the Crystal Guardian on my first try. :smuggo: The game has had many other opportunities to kick my rear end, though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Guess who just lost 6,800 geo by dying before they got to their original shade? :suicide:

I decided to start the game over completely instead of playing further and waiting to get that poo poo back naturally, or stopping my progress to grind more.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I did not know that the initial burst of the super dash damages enemies, probably because it's hard to get a practical use out of it.

Tylana posted:

Counter point : There totally can be especially with the DLC. I mean, Sly's shop with the key Nat20 found is probably over 8k of geo to buy out. Salubria is also not cheap. Worth buying becomes an argument. But buyable for sure.

You do need to be a bit careful about shades and stuff. But Nat has already shown there is a little get out of dumbass jail option.. if you can get back to it without dying.

So in short, yeah that sucks. There's ways to grind for money faster, but I don't advise them except for some dumb end-game stuff.

Also a restart is probably pretty quick, and a chance to find out if you still suck about bosses. :D

I've been dying much less in my second playthrough, and so Fragile Greed is a new mainstay for me until it comes time to fight a boss.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Alxprit posted:

I sure am glad I played the game three title updates deep!

Same. I rarely feel the need to play games anywhere near their initial release date these days.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Kingdom's Edge is one of two areas I haven't been to at all yet, so I've got that to look forward to.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

fractalairduct posted:

I forget how this works, has Tea been looked out of the Grey Prince fight now?

No, but I doubt he'll unlock it on his own.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I vote Sly.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Cactus posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that completely forgets about howling wraiths because it's given to you too late in the game, well after your internalised moveset has calcified.

I got it into my moveset just fine.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Tylana posted:

This is where I am sad that Tea put in Nat's head the idea that the stomp move doesn't do damage. because it does like twice hadoken damage. And has some mercy frames.

Oh cool. I haven't been using that in combat because I was concerned that it would put me in a tight spot.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

C-Euro posted:

Cowardly Patreon members giving Nat an out to his haphazard exploration. Sad!

Also lol I did the exact same thing to poor old Poggy Thorax or whoever when I first played this game.

I did it to Dirtmouth's gravekeeper. Poor guy was vindicated about me being a killer.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

It's very much required. And unless you know where all the the whispering roots are, you need to face at least one of the dream bosses to access the White Palace

Huh. I thought I got all the roots, but if what you're saying is true I haven't yet, since dream bosses were the next thing I was gonna do in my playthrough before I stopped playing the game for a while.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Just managed to get through the White Palace. My completion is now at 107%.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Since all I have left for full completion is the pantheons, NKG and the other endings, I've decided to try completing a Steel Soul run at 100%+ under 20 hours.

I died at the first Soul Warrior fight.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Marluxia posted:

Wait until you meet the Watcher knights. I actually just finally did a steel soul run, finishing up the speedrun achievements I never did, like finish under 5 hours and 100% in 20 hours too. A lot more stressful in a steel soul run.

Now that I think about it, I might need to alter the route I found online to pick up Rancid Eggs since you can sell them with Steel Soul on.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I haven't technically done everything in the game yet, but I'm close and I found Grimm to be the hardest boss I've beaten yet.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Epicmissingno posted:

Unrelated to Path of Pain or the Grimmkin flames, but it's something I'm surprised hasn't come up yet: if you save and quit from the pause menu, it'll transport you to the last bench used while keeping your progress. It's really useful! Makes navigating in endgame much less painful.

Speedrunners do this constantly. It's like having a second dreamgate up.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Can you not just bind the dash to another button? I did that when I kept accidentally casting spells, because the Switch's R button is too easy to press when I'm trying to hit ZR.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Take it from a coward who used Shape of Unn for all the late game bosses during his first playthrough: You were right when you said that healing is a crutch.

With NKG and several other bosses it's easier to simply not get hit and to do more damage, because a lot of the time trying to find windows to heal just means you get hit and are thus wasting Soul + Charm slots on said healing.

It's good that you're having fun though! I didn't enjoy my time with NKG half as much as you are doing. Judging by the number of pufferfish attacks and times he was staggered you were like 2-3 hits from beating him that one time, so you'll get him soon.

Joni's Blessing is probably my favorite charm in the game for this reason. It was always what I put on when I had a hard time with a new boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Hooray! Here's a speedrun to celebrate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Koct0kvykw