Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I'm not sure how much this qualifies as a spoiler, so just to be on the safe side you will be able to get tools which make spike bouncing much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

Pogoing off spikes is actually never required at all except for the Path of Pain (don't look at that spoiler nat 20) but it's definitely useful tech.

You're forgetting the centipede gauntlet in Deepnest.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I never used the compass, but I did occasionally look up a walkthrough to check where in an area Cornifer would be.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I think Nat is doing a pretty good job of attempting to put the lore together given the amount of information that's been presented at this point, which is not much.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I hope Nat doesn't miss anything by entering a room and then immediately leaving. That still fills it out on your map, so it might not be obvious you haven't explored there.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I hesitate to call any upgrade in this game mandatory, but the Lantern is awfully close to being required to beat the game. It makes a few areas much more tolerable, to the point where I can't imagine doing them sans Lantern. In fact when I started up my playthrough just now I took a detour to Dirtmouth to buy the Lantern...only to realize that I had already purchased it :doh:

I assume you mean store bought upgrades, because you definitely need the upgrades like the dash, wall jump, double jump, and so on. You also actually do need the Lantern - Distant Village is behind a locked gate, and you can't open it in the dark, which I learned the hard way on my first attempt to get the speedrun achievements.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Gathering swarm doesn't give you the geo if you leave the room before it gets to you. Much faster just to dash over the corpse real quick than stand at the exit waiting.

Still worth it for everything that falls into spike pits

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

This is about where the actual story begins to happen. It's crazy how much more sense what the Dreamers say makes after you've finished the game. Right now, it might as well be gibberish.

I've seen everything in the game, watched a lot of lore videos and such, and I'm still not entirely sure what happens when they first appear in Greenpath.

Reveilled posted:

I know when I first saw hornet looking down at me from that ledge in Greenpath I was determined to get up there and spent 15 minutes luring the mosquito enemy into juuust the right place so I could pogo off it to reach.

The speedrun trick there is that the Vengeful Spirit pushes you backwards a bit, so if you jump, turn to face away from the ledge, and cast three times, it'll push you backwards onto it.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Tenebrais posted:

Legend tells of a mysterious beetle, lurking in every shadow. His only goal to ensure every sign and lamp post in Hallownest is as pristine as the days the great king walked its paths. Most will never catch sight of this reclusive artisan, or ever know he was there, but when they turn their backs for even a moment they will find every broken sign silently replaced without a hint of damage.
This lone legend has a name spoken only in whispers. It does not translate cleanly out of buglish, but the best efforts have translated it to "We're Not Dedicating Memory To Every Destructible You Break, gently caress Off".

https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Menderbug

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

I cannot wait to see your backtracking videos. In my head, your to-do list is an absolute nightmare.

Also, fun fact/easter egg about the Colosseum: if you've encountered a certain NPC enough times in the wild, they show up as a bonus boss in that first Trial! And no, it's not Tiso.

I forget how this works, has Tea been looked out of the Grey Prince fight now?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Cloth :unsmith: I'm glad you found that event because it's technically missable!

And yeah, real good atmosphere here too with the complete silence.

It's really unfortunate how missable the encounters with some of the NPCs are. I wouldn't have even known that you can encounter Cloth before this in Deepnest if I hadn't stumbled across it on the wiki.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Nat walked into that room with the bench before, but it was blocked off by a one way door, so you didnt actually make it to the bench itself.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Man, I forgot how many paths the map just doesn't show you. Tea might have to direct Nat towards Nosk if we're going to see that boss.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Cactus posted:

I'm pretty sure he did but now I'm second guessing myself. I have various playthroughs of games on as background noise sometimes and occasionally they blend together.

He hasn't, he hasn't gone back in the general direction of Queen's Gardens since geting the Mantis Claw.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah, there's a few reasons - most of which have already been discussed - that Nat had a much easier time with the Watcher Knights. First, you can encounter them much earlier (you don't even need the monarch wings, actually), before you're reasonably equipped to fight them. Second, a lot of people (myself include) tend to focus on full strength builds resolving soul for healing, and that just doesn't work for this fight because the Knights don't stagger and their attacks come quick enough that you can't heal easily. The most effective way is indeed using spells to do as much damage as quickly as possible. I do think Nat also got a bit lucky when it came to avoiding the bouncing attacks when healing.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Dareon posted:

There's two things I know Nat hasn't gotten yet: The Weaversong charm and the grub stash. I do not remember where either of them actually is in there, though.

I'm pretty sure it's the Weaver's Den in general. Which is actually not in Distant Village itself, it's off to the east of that large room with the dream tree. Look for a Devout blocking a path that seems to be protecting nothing - the entrance is actually behind it.

I also hope you go back and save Bretta sometime.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

pun pundit posted:

Prediction: In three episodes, Nat beats Nightmare Grimm and Adjective Zote both first try.

If he wants to get to GPZ, he'll still have to save Bretta.

I never used the Nail Arts until I did the Trial of the Fool, where (as Alxprit said) they're great for dealing with weaker enemies quickly. Replaying the game I use them a lot more, though Cyclone Slash is probably the least useful. Which is a shame because Mato is great. There is a bit of a trade-off in that fewer times striking an enemy means less Soul collected, though.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Marluxia posted:

Nice job on Hornet 2! It's just the first fight but the increased speed throws off a lot of people

She has some new moves, like the traps she throws out, or being able to jump off of the walls.

I hope Nat remembers to revisit Bardoon now he has the monarch wings. That's probably one of the most direct sources of lore.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT2: Grats on finally getting Isma's Tear. There is still one place that you can use it to reach that you can't otherwise, and that is the Lake of Unn

I mean, that's not the only place. He needs it to get the Love Key as well, for exampe.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

You don't take double damage on Steel Soul, it's just a mode with no respawns.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Eeepies posted:

Actually, what's left in the main game?

1. Warrior Dreams - Elder Hu, is that it? Galien, Gorb, Markoth, Marmu, No Eyes and Xero are all done yeah.
2. Dream rematches - all 3.
3. White Palace
4. Flower Quest, what other mask shards is he missing?
5. The Collector and Grub quest
6. Trial of Fools
7. Ending

And Grimm.

E: missed that you said main game. Since I did, I suppose I'll also mention Godhome, and the rest of the dream bosses from the other DLCs.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 10, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Elder Hu's basically a test of how well you understand the dash mechanic. Once you have Shade Cloak it becomes a lot easier. It's also a pretty good fight to use Shape of Unn in, since it lets you move around while healing.

Howling Wraiths does stall you in place for a fair amount of time, and I believe it doesn't have a whole lot of invincibility frames, so it is a bit of a risk to use.

I love how covered in paint Sheo's arena gets.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I mostly just associate accordions with (characters voiced by) Weird Al.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

When the Grimm Troupe DLC launched, it was true that the circus would disappear when Grimm was defeated, and you would lose your chance to get the unbreakable charms. Team Cherry obviously realized the problem with that, and fixed it so now Divine will stay even when the rest of the circus leaves.

The Collector's an interesting boss, because, being made of void, it doesn't give you any soul when you hit it. Of course, the add-ons still give you plenty of opportunity to gain soul, but it's an extra thing to deal with.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 13, 2021

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Solitair posted:

Joni's Blessing is probably my favorite charm in the game for this reason. It was always what I put on when I had a hard time with a new boss.

Yeah I tend to use at least one of Joni's Blessing/Quick Focus/Shape of Unn as essentially training wheels for a boss fight to give me more time to learn their patterns and figure out how they work. Once I've got that down I can change to focus on dealing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Banishing the Troupe gets you Brumm playing the accordion in Dirmouth. Forever. Poor Elderbug never gets his peace and quiet. I think it's clear what the morally correct choice here is.