Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
4 seconds after Nat gets control: {Walljump tests}

Oh here we goooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

EggsAisle posted:

I have complicated opinions about this game. There's a lot about it I really like, and it's mostly the things that have been praised already- visuals, sound design, controls, mood, etc. It's all really, really good. Actually it's excellent, most games aren't half as inspired. And I love the Metroidvania genre, so Hollow Knight was definitely in my wheelhouse. Steam says I've put 40.3 hours into it, which sounds about right, and for the most part I had fun. But I never finished it, and I probably won't pick it up again.

I feel a little sad reading the essay in the OP, because I agree with so much of it, and it started off really great for me too! But then the wheels came off as I got into the later game. I must have missed some crucial clues or dialogue or encounters or something, because 40 hours in the game I didn't have any clearer a picture of what was going on than 4 hours in. I didn't know who my character was or why I was here. I felt like characters either kept mistaking me for someone else, or rambled on about whatever like I wasn't even there, or were shopkeepers. About halfway through my playtime, I started following a guide to make sure I wasn't missing areas or lore tidbits or whatever, but it didn't really help. Maybe it even made it worse because of detail overload? And I like mysteries and understated stories, but eventually this one just ran out of gas on me and wasn't sustaining my interest. Vague cryptic mumblings are fun and atmospheric, but if there's no coherence at all, anywhere? It just feels like a weird fever dream.

As for the gameplay... yeah, it got too difficult for me. Dying to a boss 50 times is part of the experience, but once you get good enough, it's satisfying to finally win, right? I got to the point where I finally beat a boss and felt a sweet rush of... exhaustion and demoralization. I didn't feel like I'd gotten better, I felt like RNG just hadn't sent as many 99% undodgeable attacks my way this time. And then I thought about doing it all over again for the next boss, and the one after that, and... meh. I distinctly remember thinking "This... is really unenjoyable" to myself. So I stopped playing.

And that sucked a ton of rear end! Because there's so much in this game that's excellent! But man, I put up with enough poo poo in my life telling me I'm stupid and incompetent, I need something else from games. I'm looking forward to this LP, and I hope you don't burn out like I did. :v:
This right here is why I absolutely love Hades, and hope it sets an entire new trend in gaming. God Mode's progressive +2% damage reduction per death made it possible for me to not only beat the game, but actually feel like wasn't hitting a brick wall. No judgement, no mocking, just toggle it on and you still get to enjoy the game.

Games are the only form of entertainment that has a skill check in order to continue enjoying them. They don't hand out a test at the end of the first hill on a roller coaster and kick you off if you can't solve the math problem for why it works.. No one goes to a movie expecting to be handed a button that needs to be pressed in an exact sequence or the scene repeats until everyone in the theater gets it right. Bands don't stop a concert because someone in the back is singing out of tune.

Games do this.

Can't beat the Capra Demon? Don't have time to grind for 20 levels just to handle the end game bosses? Didn't buy the guide for Final Fantasy 9 and want to find secrets on your own? Sorry, your ride ends here.

More games need a shame free "busy adult" mode. My reflexes were never fast and the years haven't helped. Put in a tourist/story mode that has no penalty. If your game is intentionally hard, put in some sort of optional safety net. I paid for the entire game, it's your job as a good designer/developer to figure out how you're going to help get your customer through it. Don't give me poo poo because I'm playing on easy. That's the professor saying "only x number of people will pass this class". If there's less than 50% of your players who have gotten the game cleared achievement, you haven't created a masterpiece. You've screwed people out of money and enjoyment and failed as a designer.

I wanted to love this game for all the same reasons as above, but my skills as a player crapped out before my refund timer was up on Steam.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Natural 20 posted:

I wanted to save this discussion until after Episode 6 aired so sorry for the long time on getting to this!

I said at the end of episode 6 that I'm sure this isn't a game I could play outside of the LP format. For full (potentially too much) disclosure, I come out of every session sweating buckets because I'm so anxious in the game about going the wrong way etc. It's not a game that isn't fun to me by any means but I literally couldn't deal with that level of stress for a long time and I definitely wouldn't be able to make it work without talking to Tea the entire time.

To bring this on topic, the atmosphere of this game is a choice by the developers and one that honestly would drive a person like me away from the game.

It strikes me that in the same way that atmosphere or art can evoke certain emotions in a player then so can difficulty.

If it is a legitimate choice to say that making the game friendlier or less isolated would compromise the emotion the developers want to evoke from a player, it is probably also legitimate to say that a game should be x level of difficult because of the emotion that struggling against that difficulty can evoke.

I'm not sure that's the right decision to make, but I feel like it's one that isn't necessarily wrong to make either. (Even though as I get older I would really like there to be busy adult modes in more of the games I play)

I understand the desire for developers to say "This is my vision. This should be difficult for the player to overcome." I can respect that as an art form. As an artist, it's your choice to make something direct or as obtuse as you'd like. Write a poem in 6th century Latin if that's what you're moved to do. That's your call as the creator, and maybe that's how you are best able to express your vision to the world.

Now it's time to sell the poem. The critics who read poems professionally praise it for really stretching their skills. It gets highly rated reviews. Streamers read the poem and make it seem reasonable to digest, so it becomes a wide market hit. Now there's a large portion of people who've bought the poem who are unable to read it. Sure, they might make it through a few lines, and some might really get dedicated to the idea of reading it and manage to force their way through after hours and hours of struggling.

The artist could easily include a translation, but a bit of the nuance would be lost. A pun here, an entendre there, but a translation would make it accessible to large amounts of people who bought the poem. Not handing out that translation is the poet saying to everyone who bought the poem (and were unable to return it because it'd been over two hours that they'd tried to read it or it could only be returned for another copy since the shrink wrap was removed), to "Ut banum".

The most frustrating part about games going for the "Hard Games" ideal for difficulty is that the developers have almost 0 issue including challenge items that allow the player to handicap themselves. An item that sets you to 1 heart or makes you take double damage? Perfectly fine. An item that can be used to let you take half damage? "THAT'S NOT OUR VISION."

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Shitenshi posted:

I'm reminded a Bioware dev said a decade ago that there should be an option for people to simply skip the gameplay and see the story alone if they want to without playing the game. She got poo poo on hard for it because gamers will be gamers, but you know what? She's right. People should have that freedom, no matter the reason, as a matter of decency from the developers. And if that extreme is allowed, then poo poo, developers should go a lot harder for allowing accessibility options. In today's day and age where they can add patches as much as they want to, no excuse for not giving one that allows a god mode or failing that, just difficulty toggle options. It should be normalized, the same way that good controls and other basics are normalized.

re: disability chat, maybe easy mode accommodations are all that's needed for now. Fine tuning the experience might be what's ideal, but the perfect is the enemy of the good. It's a step in the right direction.

There's been some trending toward doing "story mode" difficulties, and I've found it to be fantastic. Horizon: Zero Dawn has an amazing story and some of the most interesting world building I've seen in a game, all with gameplay that I absolutely *hated*. Story mode turned it from something I would have quit playing a couple hours in and wrote off as a negative experience into a game where I've completed nearly every sidequest and the DLC just to get more of that world.

EggsAisle posted:

:v: :barf: :barf: :barf: :fuckoff: :suicide:

Title: Profound, inscrutable artistic vision
Artist: EggsAisle
Medium: SA smilies

(I get what you mean, I just... guh.)

Well said.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I'm in on the dead pool.

I'm going with a static room hazard after managing to beat yet another boss we all expect him to die on.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Grub mimics are rude as hell :colbert:

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Since there's a delay on these videos, how's the cat and why haven't we seen pictures of it?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

"Hmm. That seems ominous. Anyway, WHERE'S MY MONEY?"

Nat's avoidance of the actual story in favor of vengeance for minor in game slights will always be fantastic.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Cactus posted:

Ok, unpopular opinion incoming...

The "story" in this game, in my opinion (which is the correct and objective viewpoint of course) isn't all that. Every playthrough I watch has comments saying "DrEaMnAiL EvErYtHiNg!!!" but in the vast majority of cases all you get are vague phrases that mean next to nothing, or actual nothing.

There's two layers of story. The overall story is told through the environments, the enemies, npc designs, signposting, and the player character themselves. On this layer, Hollow Knight is an absolute masterpiece: Something really bad happened a long time ago and nearly wiped out this bug kingdom. Some bugs tried to stop it and mostly succeeded at sealing that something away. All that now remains is a nearly empty world with hints that the seal is leaking. At the point we are now, the player's actions have made things much worse.

Thanks to Metroid Prime's Scan Visor, we now have a secondary story telling method that can build a massive, lore filled world that can be completely ignored, obsessively collected, or somewhere in between, all powered by the player's willingness to hunt. This is the Dream Nail layer. RPG storytelling in an exploration platformer, doled out in frustratingly tiny amounts with huge amounts of unrelated worldbuilding fluff. This type of storytelling needs to force the player into activating mandatory plot reveals via the Dream Nail / Scan Visor / Telepathy somehow, and to be honest, Hollow Knight isn't great at it. This last episode, Nat got to one of the major map marked McGuffins and got virtually no story reveals.

Because everyone raves about the environmental story telling of games like Dark Souls and Hollow Knight without addressing the elephant in the room of people who don't obsessively push the "Check to see if this copy and pasted doodad is plot relevant this time" button, other game devs see that as the new popular way to tell a story and bury 90% of the plot behind optional scan visor points, 4 vague words at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Bifauxnen posted:

As someone still following along blind here, I gotta say I found the lack of any fanfare or plot dumps or even a boss fight with Lurien was awesome at setting a mood to make the whole thing feel extremely eerie.

Don't get me wrong. Hollow Knight taps into the lonely isolationist feelings of Super Metroid extremely well, but even when chasing down all the plot threads, there's very little indication of important info vs fluff.

It's a frustrating take on show, don't tell. It's ok to tell a little bit!