Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Duh 29 19.46%
Come on 26 17.45%
It's obviously Rosa vs Baker 90 60.40%
Option 4 for the person who liked Cody vs Penta more 4 2.68%
Total: 149 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It seems to me that his bias is that he sees late 80s and early 90s AJW as the gold standard of women's pro wrestling and apparently he doesn't think that anything he's seen since then has reached the same level, which actually is a pretty defensible point of view because the golden age of AJW was, you know, unbelievably loving good.

This is correct, and why for years he said he would never institute a womens section in the Observer Awards because if a woman is good enough they'll top the mens awards and would use as his examples Manami Toyota, who won Most Outstanding Wrestler in 1995, and Ronda Rousey, who won best box office twice most valuable fighter twice and outstanding fighter.

Now if you are an observant and neutral observer you might notice using those two as your examples may set up sirens in your head screaming "outliers" in that one is the greatest womens wrestler of all loving time so he set the bar of entry to women the same as essentially Ric Flair or Misawa, and the other is a pioneering groundbreaking MMA fighter whose existence was the first ever true MMA crossover star to the mainstream (before her there was some crossover, but nothing on Ronda's level until McGregor and sicne McGregor theres been no one).

Thank gently caress he eventually caved on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Germansimp posted:

Add Bryan vs KENTA to that.

poo poo, even Kurt Angle never had a 5* match according to big Dave, and he also had a few matches that easily deserved it (but are tough to watch these days because of his opponent/tag partner).

It's annoying that neither Angle nor Danielson ever got 5*, but they both have collected so many stars in their career that honestly, there's no real reason to give a gently caress about that ominous 1/4* that wasn't added a few times during their careers.

Kurt's smarkiest accomplishment was that he debuted in 1999 and was in the Hall of Fame by 2004. I don't think literally anyone else has had a rise that meteoric ever, and moreso because it is utterly uncontroversial that in just five years Kurt Angle was a HOF talent. Hell he was a HOF talent in the first two years.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Do we have any announced matches etc for Elevation yet? I know last time they had announced a few by now and a billion over the weekend.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Lamuella posted:

Do we have any announced matches etc for Elevation yet? I know last time they had announced a few by now and a billion over the weekend.

No, they went heavy on press for the premiere. I'd assume a less crowded card this time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Evil Badman posted:

No, they went heavy on press for the premiere. I'd assume a less crowded card this time.

Kind of hoping so. I love Dark, but two Darks a week felt like a lot.

Hoping it settles into its style as a one hour show with a combo of story driven matches and showcases for talent.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When do they tape the Elevation stuff for the weeks when Dynamite isn’t live?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When do they tape the Elevation stuff for the weeks when Dynamite isn’t live?

4 am

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Apart from the Dark Order matches, can't interfere with -1's bed time

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

4.75 is good for a match with such a minimal crowd. Dave probably would have went 5 with a non pandemic crowd.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Even their limited crowd would've gone nuts for that match.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

:hmmyes:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Evil Badman posted:

He's shown a pattern of refusal to recognize women's wrestling on the same level/scale with the men.

is that why he rated it higher than the men's light's out match

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ll ask

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In a discussion on Twitter I just described Shawn Spears as "The Hirooki Goto of Pinnacle" and I feel like that's insulting but I'm not sure which one it's insulting to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dave only gives women 81% of the stars he gives men

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

In a discussion on Twitter I just described Shawn Spears as "The Hirooki Goto of Pinnacle" and I feel like that's insulting but I'm not sure which one it's insulting to.

Goto has good matches at least

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

Definitely Goto.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lamuella posted:

he's the BUSHI

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Goto has good matches at least

True. Especially during the 2018 G1 Climax.

I didn't want to stoop to calling Spears the Yujiro of Pinnacle. That felt too harsh.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Spears doesn’t elicit any emotion from me whatsoever but he’s a technically good wrestler so he’s closer to being Goto than BUSHI or Big Yuj

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He’s the Naito of the group

Don’t reply to this

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Lid posted:

he's the BUSHI

I've seen Bushi have good matches. He's the (og) Bone Soldier.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

collocation posted:

I've seen Ibushi have good matches. He's the (og) Bone Soldier.

Corrected your typo for you :)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I regret to inform you that Shawn Spears is, in fact, the Shawn Spears of the group. Try as you might, you cannot wish him into something else.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cagematch currently has the match ranked 8.89 which is roughly a ****1/2 average, so Dave isn't even that far off from the consensus. In fact he might be slightly above it. It's well below Sasha/Bayley (9.35) and on par with Becky/Charlotte (8.87), which I doubt many people would argue with.

Would anyone even be talking about this if Britt didn't make that throwaway joke on the post-match video? What a bizarre non-story.

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 20, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Shawn Spears is the Maven of AEW.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

collocation posted:

I've seen Bushi have good matches. He's the (og) Bone Soldier.

Chairman fookin' Shawn Spears? Get the gently caress outta here.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Hes the EVIL of the group

You get to decide which group

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Benne posted:

Cagematch currently has the match ranked 8.89 which is roughly a ****1/2 average, so Dave isn't even that far off from the consensus. In fact he might be slightly above it. It's well below Sasha/Bayley (9.35) and on par with Becky/Charlotte (8.87), which I doubt many people would argue with.

Would anyone even be talking about this if Britt didn't make that throwaway joke on the post-match video? What a bizarre non-story.

They absolutely would, nothing riles up PSP like a 4.75 rating, it is our nature

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave did mention he thought it would winmatch of the year and I can totally see it (even if I think Ibushi/White was a better match).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dave Meltzer has said Britt vs Thunder Rosa was 4.75 stars

Because he is Albanian

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Seams posted:

Because he is Albanian
He never said that

Conrad_Birdie fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 20, 2021

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Seams posted:

Because he is Albanian

Show me proof that his paternal grandfather was born in Massachusetts . If you dont have then dont talk straight from your rear end. ;)

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Meltzer's wife who is a star lacrosse player gave Britt Baker versus Thunder Rosa 5 stars.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shawn Spears looks like the lackey that the rest of the group only keeps around so they have an errand boy

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Shawn Spears looks like the lackey that the rest of the group only keeps around so they have an errand boy

So he's the Yujiro.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

IcePhoenix posted:

He's the guy you send off to pick up the boss' dry cleaning on the other side of town just so you don't have to see him all day

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Going old school, he's probably the Paul Roma.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shawn Spears is THE NEW Living Legend Larry Zabyszco