Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you need an adapter for 3mm in your butt

New thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hadlock posted:

New thread title?

Hey, I didn't finish that statement for a reason 😂

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I was drawing up a simple part yesterday and decided to do it in Rhino because I already had it open and it was fine for part design but making a drawing for it sure had me missing solidworks, all those automated tools sure are nice.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
can i seriously not wrap sketches around spherical solids in solidworks in the year 2021. cmon son

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 19, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What is a good resource for free 3D models of stuff? I'm talking about basic widgets like toilets/sinks/tables/chairs etc. Household sort of junk, obviously not needing to be high quality, just good enough for general layouts and whatnot. Also stuff like generic fasteners would be nice, but I suppose I could grab those off McMaster or something.

Preferably in generic formats that FreeCAD can take (IIRC STEP and IGES)... last thing I tried to import I ended up having to run through SolidWorks first. I'm sure this has been asked/answered but I looked around and wasn't able to find anything.

I hate googling stuff like this because it's inevitably 1 good link hidden among a thousand scam sites.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

What is a good resource for free 3D models of stuff? I'm talking about basic widgets like toilets/sinks/tables/chairs etc. Household sort of junk, obviously not needing to be high quality, just good enough for general layouts and whatnot. Also stuff like generic fasteners would be nice, but I suppose I could grab those off McMaster or something.

Preferably in generic formats that FreeCAD can take (IIRC STEP and IGES)... last thing I tried to import I ended up having to run through SolidWorks first. I'm sure this has been asked/answered but I looked around and wasn't able to find anything.

I hate googling stuff like this because it's inevitably 1 good link hidden among a thousand scam sites.

GrabCad

https://grabcad.com/library?page=1&time=all_time&sort=recent&query=couch

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

GrabCAD and 3D Content Central are my go-to sites for that kind of thing. It's all models folks have made themselves and uploaded, but it's handy. Depending on what you're looking for, sometimes you'll get supplier models.

Both sites require accounts, so hopefully that's not a deal breaker.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://thangs.com/ also has some weirdly interesting/handy models of things (once you figure out how to search for what you're looking for).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Awesome, thanks!

Creating an account isn't a big deal as long as I get something out of it. It's just trying to find a site that is actually useful without having to wade through a dozen SEO sites that promise the moon and end up being junk after you jump through a dozen hoops.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also like yeggi.com (check the "free models" box)

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I've got a million personal SW designs I'd like to start publishing on grabcad, thingiverse etc, but I wanna be sure i'm not including my real name (which is associated with my software key) or other sensitive metadata in the files- how do I go about this? I've never had to share anything outside the company so I've never had to worry about this before. For SW working files, primarily, but .stls and the like too- I've got no idea how metadata works with those at all.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Hmmm there might be some of that in the SLDPRT properties - if you want, I'd be happy to take a look to see if it carries over.

Generally a STEP file won't carry any metadata, though, if you would rather go that route.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
I think I got it figured out; might take you up on double-checking the metadata for part/assembly files soon.

Another question- is there a way to publish a bunch of part iterations at different scales, but driven by the final part mass? As in, I want to generate 5/10/15/20/25/30/40/50 gram versions of a part, can i do this by directly entering the weights i want vs my current approach of playing with the scale to ballpark each part's mass, one by one?

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 12, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You ought to be able to override mass properties in different configurations. Nothing about the design is changing, right?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That would seem like a fairly advanced application of global variables/etc. and I'd be interested in seeing some screenshots of how you set it up if you get it to work.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're just scaling the part up and down, I don't think you need to use global variables at all. Double the scale should be double the mass and so on.

If you are trying to change one specific feature to adjust the mass, that's certainly more complicated. I don't know if the part's mass can be an input into the equation editor. However, you could do it manually if the changing geometry is simple enough. Say you're making a simple barbell with cylindrical weights. You start with the bar and calculate its mass. Then decide on the diameter of the weights on the end. Create a global variable for the barbell's total weight. Create a feature of the proper diameter for the weight, and set its extrusion length with the following equation, assuming I got everything right:

L = (desired mass - bar mass) / (4 * pi * r^2 * rho)

where
L is the length of the extrusion,
r is the weight radius,
rho is the density of the weight material,
and we assume there is an identical weight on each end.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

NewFatMike posted:

You ought to be able to override mass properties in different configurations. Nothing about the design is changing, right?

I gotta stop answering questions before coffee because I got the totally wrong read on this.

I know there's a workflow with Simulation Xpress if you have Premium (educational or otherwise) that can do goal seeking functions. Do you have a screen grab of the part?

I know there are other goal seeking functions you can do with SW, but I haven't had to use them. If the part is pretty complex and the above solutions don't really work, I can ask around.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

If you're just scaling the part up and down, I don't think you need to use global variables at all. Double the scale should be double the mass and so on.

Yeah, but if you're wanting to semi-automate it you'd have to find a way to reference the mass in a formula that then re-scales the entire object based on your desired mass.

I'm trying to think of a way to do it that doesn't involve circular references, but you'd basically have to make a Global Variable that is set at whatever scale value you need to make the part your baseline mass value, and a separate Global Variable that is the baseline mass itself.

After that you either create a design table and populate it with rows for whatever mass values you want and formulae to apply a final Scale feature to the entire part in each configuration the table generates for a given mass value.

I'm can mentally picture how I'd do it, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to word it that isn't circular in the explanation.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
fwiw i’m designing multi-part casting molds for fishing sinkers/jigs, so we’re talking about spinning off maybe 6-12 sizes for a given design, almost always a simple uniform scaling. i have two molds i’m working on currently so it’s not actually onerous to tweak the scales by hand as it stands, but if i start doing this in earnest i’ll definitely need to sit down and streamline this particular aspect.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If you're going to be doing this kind of thing a lot, it might be worth checking out the Driveworks Xpress tutorial in case that works better than a design table and configurations.

Looking through the help files, I think a Design Study is what you're looking for.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I'm looking to get into some more organic modeling, and trying to decide where I want to spend some time learning and expanding my skillset. The primary use would be for designing medical models for patient education. Some aspects would need to be dimensionally accurate (mounting to displays, integrating with mechanical components), but the majority of it would be less constrained. Some parametric design capabilities would be nice for my sanity at least, as well as things like interference detection and maybe limited motion modeling. Animation and fancy renders aren't important to me. Output would be for 3d printing for eventual casting and molding at small-medium batches so the ability to handle scaling for shrinkage/etc would also be nice.

I have ~a decade of experience using solidworks for functional mechanical design. I've barely touched its surfacing tools, though. I work at a university, so have access to academic pricing on most software. We're somewhat budget constrained at the moment but can handle some limited expenditures (non-subscription, ideally).

Initially I have been looking at Blender and Rhino3D, with a slight tendency towards the latter but not for any specific reason. Any other packages I might want to look at would be welcomed, and if people with experience using both have commentary about which packages might be better suited for my needs, I'd love to hear more.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

There's a 3D graphics/sculpting thread somewhere, but those dudes make some amazing stuff, they might be a better resource. I'll pop in the link if I find it.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Imo never surface in SOLIDWORKS it's loving miserable and models come out like poo poo. Blender and subD modeling is a little easier to do but harder to.get exact dimensions, rhino and surface modeling will have a higher learning curve but better dimensional control and accuracy. The subD tools in rhino 7 might be the ticket for you but I haven't used them personally.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Use this for non-mechanical modeling.

https://zbrushcore.com/mini/

Or Scupltris/full Zbrush for more features/etc.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
They mentioned needing dimensional accuracy and in my limited experience getting dead nuts on even simple dimensions can be hard due to the smoothing in subD modeling, you'll get ballpark easily but anytime you're working with meshes that are being smoothed you end up with weird dimensions in unexpected areas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you need both mechanical precision and smooth freeform shapes, you are pretty much stuck with NURBS. The Rhino subD tools might do it but the gold standard is still plain old NURBS surfacing. Unfortunately that is probably the hardest kind of 3D modeling there is. But that's what we've got.

Get thee a copy of Rhino and buckle down!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The rhino 7 subD tools convert back to NURBS which is the nice thing, you can get it close with subD and then pull sections and isocurves to use as a base when you adjust dimensions for final surfacing without having to deal with the bullshit problems of actual meshes at any point

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like Rhino it is! Thanks for the feedback. Any recommended tutorials or resources to get me started? I've been pretty spoiled by the built-in SW tutorials.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Signed up for the Solidworks 3dexperience for makers. The web interface is confusing as hell, there is a specific server you need to login to to get your personal dashboard and not some bizarre linkedin knockoff with built in marketing buzzword selector wheel. Downloading the 14gig installer for the "3dexperience Solidworks Desktop" now and hoping I didn't waste $99.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

What the gently caress? That's a full month ahead of when I was told it would be out :v

I have an onboarding document for my makerspace if you want to see something a little more helpful than whatever it is I am sure they are sending you. I specifically reached out to the guy in charge of this to help with new person onboarding because the 3DX platform is a dumpster fire.

Shoot me a DM with your email if you would like that PDF! It's primarily geared towards the browser-based stuff.

The SOLIDWORKS Tutorials are surprisingly good and cover a shitload of stuff:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well, download failed. Can't resume from Firefox and clicking on the link in my dashboard broke. Navigated away and now my dashboard is all changed and I can't access that download page anymore. I think you might be onto something with that not supposed to be out idea.

Edit 1: Now using their launcher installer from the app pane instead of downloading a huge ZIP. It started a progress bar like it was opening and now is sitting there in the background inaccessible doing nothing. There is something in the taskbar but it only seems to be able to open a browser to the useless web interface. Hahahaha wow.

Edit 2: The sneaky hidden launcher claimed it would stop the download and lose all progress when i tried to close it. So I am just going to leave it for a day and test my luck

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 28, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, 14GB is the full SOLIDWORKS download, all of this is very unusual.

The website is giving me more guff than the usual 3DS website, too, so I think someone accidentally a button.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Commodore, when that install finishes, would you be able to confirm if it includes SOLIDWORKS CAM? I've only gotten dodgy answers.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

It was not doing anything as far as I could tell. I relaunched it and now have a progress bar. :sax:
I'll let you know if it ever pans out.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

Commodore, when that install finishes, would you be able to confirm if it includes SOLIDWORKS CAM? I've only gotten dodgy answers.

Well, it's not in add-ins in Solidworks, or in the pane of apps in 3DX. That is... disappointing really.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ooh big bummer. I'll see what the scuttlebutt is.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

So with 3dExperience Solidworks for Makers, you can save local files with the same extensions as commercial SW, but guess what, only SW for Makers can open them! You have to use a metadata free interchange format to get them into the pro version. I'm not sure what I was expecting, I mean you can't have commercial users just using the cheapy tool. Also I made some parts and have no idea how to get them to save to my cloud lol.

Edit: Had to install their drive app. Not sure how I was supposed to know this. Also it took `5 minutes for it to react to clicking to install it from 3dx we control panel. What a joy this platform is.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 31, 2021

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Good Lord. Can you send me one of those files? I'm real curious about it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is it safe to assume that the EAA path to getting Solidworks is still better than the 3dExperience for Makers path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, if you can't share files and there's no CAM.

If you're on Linux or Mac, I'd recommend the Makers version for the browser based bits.

Still waiting to hear back from the folks in charge of the actual program to figure out what's up with that.