Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Signed up for the Solidworks 3dexperience for makers. The web interface is confusing as hell, there is a specific server you need to login to to get your personal dashboard and not some bizarre linkedin knockoff with built in marketing buzzword selector wheel. Downloading the 14gig installer for the "3dexperience Solidworks Desktop" now and hoping I didn't waste $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Well, download failed. Can't resume from Firefox and clicking on the link in my dashboard broke. Navigated away and now my dashboard is all changed and I can't access that download page anymore. I think you might be onto something with that not supposed to be out idea.

Edit 1: Now using their launcher installer from the app pane instead of downloading a huge ZIP. It started a progress bar like it was opening and now is sitting there in the background inaccessible doing nothing. There is something in the taskbar but it only seems to be able to open a browser to the useless web interface. Hahahaha wow.

Edit 2: The sneaky hidden launcher claimed it would stop the download and lose all progress when i tried to close it. So I am just going to leave it for a day and test my luck

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 28, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

It was not doing anything as far as I could tell. I relaunched it and now have a progress bar. :sax:
I'll let you know if it ever pans out.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

Commodore, when that install finishes, would you be able to confirm if it includes SOLIDWORKS CAM? I've only gotten dodgy answers.

Well, it's not in add-ins in Solidworks, or in the pane of apps in 3DX. That is... disappointing really.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

So with 3dExperience Solidworks for Makers, you can save local files with the same extensions as commercial SW, but guess what, only SW for Makers can open them! You have to use a metadata free interchange format to get them into the pro version. I'm not sure what I was expecting, I mean you can't have commercial users just using the cheapy tool. Also I made some parts and have no idea how to get them to save to my cloud lol.

Edit: Had to install their drive app. Not sure how I was supposed to know this. Also it took `5 minutes for it to react to clicking to install it from 3dx we control panel. What a joy this platform is.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 31, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Check your email for a sample file, btw.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Yeah, I'll still use the maker's thing because in many respects I still like it more than fusion. Mostly navigation / familiarity from years of use and their drug dealer esque college training deals making it my first parametric cam software. I still hope that they pull their heads out of their keisters and change the offering, BUT I'll see how long that lasts once I am actually machining because lack of inbuilt cam will make part changes a huge pain.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I gotta say, lack of CAM is a real killer. I regret my purchase, but I've wasted $99 on worse. I have been enjoying using the modelling part of it just as much as I hoped, which makes it sting even more. If it was all garbage I'd just go right back to Fusion.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Dunno about fusion, but what Nastran solvers are you going to use? Detecting if something tips sounds like it would have a strong chance of flipping out when it started moving. I think you can use the large displacement option on some solvers and stop even if it doesn't converge.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

Popped in a :words: email to the folks at Dassault, it's getting pushed along to their Product Manager for 3DX for Makers, so keep them fingats crossed something good comes of it.

Nice! I've been using it a few days, and its a 1 out of 3 tries that I actually connect to my cloud drive and can open things I've worked on. If I leave it sitting in the background, the login times out and opens string of popups containing "login failed 5 attempts you will prompted to save." Which if course it never does prompt me to save and close. I just close the dozen or so little windows and go on my way. Sometimes, though, it won't even take my password in the popups. Copied and pasted, same password every time and sometimes, it just decides it's wrong.

The modelling is solid, it's the ONLY thing that's keeping me from just giving up on the thing as irredeemable garbage.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Not about mold design per se, but if you are doing more metal casting you should check out the Mini Casting Handbook by John Campbell. It has all sorts of really cool stuff on runner and pouring basin design etc. Specifically to avoid entertainment of air bubbles and the formation of defects. It's a condensed version of the textbook version and is a good read.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 28, 2021

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Is that tooling alloy really 30ksi!? Wow! Alright, reasons to get a resin printer just +1'd

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Woohoo GRBL posts. I checked just in case, but I don't have the role yet. I'm excited to try it out.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

If you’re on the 3DX SOLIDWORKS for Makers platform, check your emails to add CAM. Mine just came through.

There’s some training in the wiki on the Makers Support

I love how this works, just purchase a $0 dollar package and it will be added to your account.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i'm installing it on a new computer right now and lmao this fuckin thing is all i can think about.

I was thinking for a while that maybe I was a little too harsh on it, but no I think flipping my poo poo was the right response.
Granted I am now used to its quirks and someday when I have the spare brain cycles I will try out the CAM I REALLY wanted when it launched.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Oh hey, anyone who has Solidworks for makers should check their bank / credit card statements. I got charged $710 dollars for my $99 annual subscription. Got a flood of super scammy sounding / phishing esque group emails about it, turned out they were real! Apparently I got copied with everyone one else who it happened to, or at least a subset.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Also, at the bottom of the last email, after they figured out that they sent the previous to several people:

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,

(i) you should not read, disclose, or copy it,

(ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,

(iii) Dassault Systèmes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.

Please be informed that your personal data are processed according to our data privacy policy as described on our website. Should you have any questions related to personal data protection, please contact 3DS Data Protection Officer at 3DS.compliance-privacy@3ds.com

For other languages, go to https://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've grown to enjoy using the Solidworks connected as they have continued to improve it. Offline file storage was made functional, licensing was broken enough to let me use it offline. The background license client even seemingly improved to only asking for password daily instead of what seemed like every time my pc slept. That being said I cancelled my subscription as for the second year in row billing was magically charging me almost $800 for a $99 listed cost. I waited a month and repurchased at the correct price.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 11, 2023