Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dominoes posted:

It's a California / Hacker News term for a webapp, often in the form of a ponzi scheme - startups make these things for other startups, ad infinitum. If you're really successful, a FAANG buys your SAAS, and do it again, but this time you're rich.

This is an emotionally charged hot take. Software as a service is not inherently any of that, although it certainly can be.

When "cloud computing" started to take off, the industry needed a way of differentiating cloud stuff, so they came up with the terms "Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)", "Platform as a Service (PaaS)", and "Software as a Service (SaaS)". These terms have been globally accepted and used for like a decade now. They're not hacker news buzzwords. IaaS essentially covers service offerings from Amazon, Google, Microsoft and the like that let you say "Hey I need 30 servers" and then in 5 minutes or so you have 30 servers in the cloud that you can mess around with. PaaS takes you a little bit further from the metal, and lets you say "Hey I need a 10 node Postgres database cluster" or "Hey I need this particular webserver stack so I can deploy a packaged Java application" and then in 5 minutes you have that thing.

SaaS is exactly what it is named - software as a service. You are delivered the use of some software using a service model rather than a (historically more conventional) ownership model. Facebook, gmail, instagram, snapchat, gently caress even the SA forums, are ALL Software as a Service. You don't own the software, you may have paid but may not have paid, and you are able to use the software according to some terms of use.

What Dominoes is getting (to some extent rightly) mad about here are software products that used to follow a "shrink wrapped software" distribution model whereby you would pay once and then own the software. There was an inbetween time, after the internet but before the widespread adoption of the SaaS model by big software companies where you would buy the software, but then in order to get updates you would need to pay for a support subscription. That model has essentially been phased out in favor of just having you pay a subscription and never owning the software at all. That model tends to gently caress over the consumer, because while you do gain the advantage of continuous updates and generally some cloud enabled features like file storage or other perks, you end up paying a lot more over time than if you would originally have just bought the software once and not paid for support.

That is not an inherent evil of Software as a Service though. The mobile computing experience as you know it today is powered almost entirely by the SaaS model, and on the whole it has done way more good (by which I mean provided way more capability for free) than harm (by which I mean cost more money) to end consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Yeah so just to be clear, the "as a Service" part is the main differentiator here. You can have Software as a Service that is still delivered as desktop software, although most of it takes the form of either a webapp or (in the case of mobile) an app. Fusion 360 is SaaS that is delivered as desktop software, but is closely tied to the backend in that it calls home all the time for updates, license checks, etc, and also has some cloud enabled features where you can invoke some menu function in the desktop software that actually then gets computed in the cloud rather than on your machine. That last sort of feature tends to have a correspondingly poor user experience because of weird latency issues (and the fact the user often doesn't know it's happening in the cloud, and thus expects the same sort of instant response they would get otherwise.) Well managed SaaS will enable a company to do things like push fixes for security vulnerabilities, add features over time, improve UI/UX based on user feedback, etc. In practice, a lot of companies do things like push new features that break customizations (like Sagebrush is mentioning above). Netflix constantly analyzes user data and tweaks the UI to minimize the number of clicks needed to get to the stuff they want you to watch (and also hopefully the stuff you want to watch).

Basically I'm just trying to make it clear that the 'aaS' part essentially refers to the delivery model, and isn't really inherently good or bad. I personally think it enables a lot of really cool things that we use all the time today, but I also recognize that it's poorly implemented, frustrating, and expensive in a lot of other cases.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LloydDobler posted:

McMaster apparently is really committing to having CAD models of all their products:

https://www.mcmaster.com/1983N13/

I downloaded it, and will stick it somewhere in every project I do from now on.

What is it, for those of us not logged in?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Thanks that's awesome!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Don't tell anyone but I've been using solidworks for like 10 years and I still do that at least every couple days.

software engineering 101

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Hadlock posted:

Photo of YouTube on TV of a print out of a cell phone photo of a computer screen

:psyboom:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
With the understanding that I am super, super bad/new to fusion 360, is the content in the (free?) courses they have here https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/courses/ worth my time to go through? I can do basic stuff like importing an svg into a sketch and extruding it, or making a simple sketch on a plane and doing some very basic operations from there. I've had no formal CAD training though, and almost certainly doing things "wrong".

Regardless of the answer to my question above being yes or no, are there other good free training materials that I should check out? I have a technical background and an engineering degree, so I think I could pick this up to a reasonable degree if I understand better how fusion 360 wants me to use it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

This is super helpful. Honestly getting this sort of insight into how people use the tools and why makes approaching some designs way more intuitive. Without that perspective I'm just like "Oh what does this thing do? Maybe I should use it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Yooper posted:

The Cool Kid's CAD Clubhouse : at times like this, when I'm really high

When your speed holes have speed holes.