Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

simmyb posted:

I had no real content to add, except that I started a new job, we use Inventor, and I hate it.

Mostly just it's extremely clunky UI for views/view directions and coordinate systems.

I've somehow gotten stuck in a career using Inventor, and yeah, it's the basic software for companies who were unwilling to shell out money for better software 20 years ago, and are now stuck with it. At least with the 2020 version, they updated the renderer so it looks more like SolidWorks.

I miss Unigraphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
At my current job, I have a boss who, on multiple occasions has said that we could do things so much better in 2D AutoCAD. Apparently we didn't even start using Inventor until 2015 :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

At my first job out of school in ~2010 we used exclusively 2D autocad. We also regularly pulled velum drawings out of the fireproof vault, made small edits, scanned them, and reprinted in full D sized glory to hand to the machinists.

I thought it was bonkers at first, but because they hadn't changed their product line meaningfully since the 60's (industrial bulk processing equipment) it worked fine. The shop expected well made 2D prints, the parts were designed for fairly manual machining although they did use some CNC, and so they just kept trucking with the old school way.

Converting everything to 3D and then making drawings from that would have been a massive upfront effort and the engineering team was like 3 guys. It was actually a super good learning experience for about 6 months, then I started to go crazy.

I did have an old job where we would update prints from bygone eras via AutoCAD Raster Design. Apparently there was a big push using temps to scan everything some years earlier, so we at least had that going for us.

That job did have some fun times though because there were plenty of occasions where the casting house had lost the molds for something that hadn't been made in years, and it would be $10,000 to make a new one, so I got to take the old drawings and redesign them to be made on a CNC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

looks to me like an older version of inventor

As someone unlucky enough to use inventor for work, yes, it's inventor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dance Officer posted:

I was given a license to Fusion 360 and told to go practice making some parts. I tried out the Titans of CNC academy and NYC CNC stuff, but all I can find is in inches, and I'm a European heathen so I only work in metric. Am I missing something, or am I poo poo outta luck?

If it's anything like Inventor, you should be able to change your settings to inches, in document settings, or alternatively, you can type in "in" (must be lower case), at the end of your number, and it'll make that dimension in inches (same goes for millimeters "mm," or any other unit of measurement)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have any resources they like for learning how to do initial design sketches? Like before you actually make the model, getting an idea out of your head and onto the paper so you have something concrete to work off of as you build the model. I'm bad/slow at modeling still so I want to work out the shapes and positions of stuff before I spend 8 hours modeling it in Fusion.

I just sorta take a pen and some paper and start sketching, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bred posted:

At work, I have a lot of CAD in easy reach: product models, vendor models, tslots catalog, etc. I'll float things in space and start connecting them. If I get stuck, I'll print a few screenshots and start marking them up. I'll print 3 or more copies and try to solve the problem in a few ways. I don't like to have too many alternatives in the cad at the same time. I leave the papers on my desk and poke at it during virtual meetings.

Yeah, you can get tons of models of hardware and things from McMaster-Carr for free.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sagebrush posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is zero reason to use AutoCAD for any new project today. The only valid use case for that software in 2023 is for the intern to use it to open all the old archived blueprints and convert them to SolidWorks or Revit or whatever. AutoCAD go away

I'm looking for a New job, and you'd be surprised just how many openings right now only have AutoCAD listed. I've learned this means they're not going to pay me anywhere what I'm looking for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm currently being trained in Advance Steel, and AutoCAD Plant, so I'll probably be a master of chemical plants in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dance Officer posted:

Inventor isn't the worst thing to be stuck with by far.

Yeah, I've mostly used Inventor. It's decent enough but can start having problems when assemblies get really complicated.

You *could* skip Vault if it's just one person doing all the work, but I'd still recommend getting it. Vault is data management system, which allows you to check out files (and lock some users out of them if needed), so that two people aren't editing the same part at the same time.

Vault does good for Inventor because you can easily rename and move files, and it keeps all the links in the assembly. If you don't have Vault you have to use Design Assistant, which does not do that stuff, and can easily become catastrophic if you're not doing all that at the top level (and god forbid you use the parts and assemblies on a different project).