Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
In on the first page...

I'm self-taught, and use SolidWorks 2020 and AutoCAD 2010 (lol).
The best thing about SolidWorks is that there are tutorials for EVERYTHING, kinda like Photoshop or QuickBooks. Sure, they're expensive and cumbersome and lack a ton of features, but they're the industry standard.

I'd really like to learn Rhino/Blender or some other surface modeling program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

1. Point object at center of hole (choose e.g. top circular edge)

2. Construct reference plane using point and a parallel face

3. Insert sketch, draw centerline down middle of hole, draw circle where you want the groove

4. Cut-revolve operation

Yes.
Planes, sketches, and axes will set you free. They're incredibly powerful tools. Need to make an odd cut? Project a plane and draw a sketch!

Library stuff is handy, but can really bog things down if you use the smart fasteners or that sort of stuff. It's great for making derived parts, though. Need to make a bolt with a hole in it, or a groove turned in it? Copy a toolbox part then modify it.

The hole wizard is incredibly useful, too. I just wish it would snap to geometry for more than the first hole.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

My favorite joke to crack in Essentials classes is to say "We're going to use the hole wizard - not half the wizard - the whole wizard"

That's a solid dad joke.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yooper posted:

What's the goto portable shareable file format? I'm working on a machine project and one supplier is using Solidworks, another is using SolidEdge. IGES? Step?

STEP or IGES both work. They both suck, but work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

biracial bear for uncut posted:

For those specific programs, SolidEdge can open Solidworks files: http://www.soliddna.com/SEHelp/ST5/EN/i_v/opensw1a.htm

And Solidworks can open SolidEdge files: https://help.solidworks.com/2020/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_Solid_Edge_Files.htm

So whatever you're using, each supplier can open the other format. Just make sure to Pack-and-Go when sending stuff.

EDIT: This is because both companies use the same foundation format for their file structures, but different interfaces. :ssh:

There may be version incompatabilities. I've had rotten luck with this in the past.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Hey Commodore, this info came through the VAR channels yesterday,

https://discover.solidworks.com/mak...al&utm_term=VAR

VERY un chill.

Money is tight for a bit, but I'll pick up a license at one time or another probably to help folks out in native.

That's bullshit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If they gently caress this up, I can see an opening for Fusion. I expected Dassault to strike a major blow, but this is weak.

I paid for SOLIDWORKS once, I doubt I'll do it again unless there's a seriously compelling reason. There were barely any improvements over 2015 that I had used for years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dominoes posted:

What will you use as an alternative to SW? I don't love it perse, but don't see a worthy competitor. Fusion's lSAAS approach is unpalatable.

... SOLIDWORKS. Because gently caress me. But I'm hoping that it won't be a race to the bottom been fusion and SW.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

This piling on top of them taking away online licensing for SW in February (my guess is they're gonna upsell you to the platform to upgrade from machine activation) is really bananas.

Wait... What? I've got a single roaming license that I swap back and forth between my shop laptop and office desktop. That was the whole selling point of buying a legit copy of SOLIDWORKS. I'm going to be mega pissed if I lose that ability on a $5500 license. I'll go right back to loving pirating it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah they literally said online licensing was going away and didn't say if it was getting replaced with anything. They emailed customers and VARs, and of course they didn't give us any additional information.

Best case scenario they have seriously bungled announcing that they're swapping the SOLIDWORKS ID login with a 3DX login, worst case they're trying for an upsell.

I haven't heard anyone in the VAR space being pleased about any aspect of it, FWIW, so at least the folks you actually have to interact with are going to try and help.

My VAR doesn't care. They're telling me it's an upgrade, and guilting me for not paying for maintenance for another year.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It took 5 calls to mine for them to figure out that Windows' built in MAC randomizer was causing SW to think I had more than one machine on the license. The MAC randomizer which is on by default.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Tried to download it but it says permission denied.

You have to VPN into Nigeria, duh.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hadlock posted:

How do I get fusion 360 to not export lovely quality STL files (click to embiggen). There's some weird polygonal ....artifacting happening on the inside here below my embossed letters (red arrows)

noodling today, fusion 360:

imported stl file from fu360:

In SOLIDWORKS, there's an angular resolution setting. It defaults to something pretty big, like 10 degrees. Maybe fusion is similar?

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15828-the-best-settings-for-stl-file-solidworks/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dance Officer posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into getting that book.

I'm not really a project sort of person, and while I have made models from the technical drawings of the stuff I machine, I don't think I'm going to push further than that.

You should change that. Projects are the best way to learn the necessary skills. poo poo, give them away or whatever, but making something is pretty much the way to learn this stuff. A book is a fine reference and a starting point, but they're going to have you making models of stuff as part of the progression.

Quick ideas: machinist's hammer, auto center punch, cell phone stand/case, etc. They don't need to be complicated 50-part assemblies, but a variety of shapes and model types would be useful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

seriously dude open a part file, use the sketching tools, and never turn them into solids. You have all the tools, can separate things into sketches so its not all in one, and can export each sketch as a dxf at the end. You dont have to turn sketches into anything, just hit new sketch on the sketch toolbar and when you exit it'll just leave you a sketch.

This. SolidWorks is meant to be based off of "Parts". It doesn't matter if they're 2D sketches, just that they're SLDPRT files.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

I was asked by some of the 3DX SOLIDWORKS for Makers folks about how to improve awareness that it exists, I'd be real curious if anyone has any ideas. I'm fully lost in the sauce since I work for a reseller, so I don't know how it looks from the outside in.

NewFatMike posted:

Those things are helpful to know! I’m sorry if it sounded like I’m looking for free marketing help, I just don’t know what I don’t know on this front.

Good to know that it’s mostly UX issues, since they’re technical issues with technical solutions.

NewFatMike posted:

A lot of that depends on what you’re looking for - imo SOLIDWORKS has the best hole and stud tools. You can get a Makers version for $10/mo, but this version is currently pretty rife with usability issues.

I feel like this is a fundamental issue. They want to market a paid product that is, as you put it, rife with usability issues. Make a viable, usable product FIRST. Don't release a half baked neutered version that totally sucks to install and use and then ask your PAYING users to troubleshoot it. Fusion actually did this right: release a free product, improve it, and when it's really useful and relatively polished, start charging for it.

3DS has it backwards. It's among the many user-unfriendly poo poo they do. I know you're just a VAR, but it drives me nuts. I'm still pissed about them killing online licensing for SW. It's literally half the reason I dropped the $5500 on a legal copy rather than sticking with the hacked Russian version. Now I'm stuck with it on one machine at home and going through the annoying de-register, re-register process every time I want to do design work on my laptop (I sure hope the servers aren't doing maintenance). At least it spares me from the agony of the online license system using the MAC address as part of the internal scheme so if you use a randomized MAC (the default option for Windows 10 on Wi-Fi like you'd use on a laptop), your license gets hosed up every time you deactivate to switch it to another machine and you've dared to reboot since the license was activated (like you do with a laptop). What does the VAR say? Known technical issue, call us and we can reset the license. Super helpful when I'm on the road (using a laptop).

Saying it's "technical issues" with "technical solutions" is pretty tone deaf. You ever been annoyed by Word's constant formatting gently caress ups when you paste from another document, insert a picture, or try to change formatting using the default toolbar instead of the overcomplicated formatting toolbar in the ribbon? The same poo poo that's been happening for over a decade? "Technical issue with a technical solution".

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Totally off-topic, but since we're bitching about badly designed software...

If anyone hasn't watched any of Tantacrul's videos about music software, they're amazing. He's a composer and UI/UX dude who absolutely holds nothing back. He's very funny as well. Dorico has a similarity-bad download/install experience.

https://youtu.be/dKx1wnXClcI
https://youtu.be/4hZxo96x48A
https://youtu.be/S-3wEC6Fj_8

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

jammyozzy posted:

Against this thread's advice and my own better judgement I tried buying Solidworks for makers earlier.

Fortunately Dassault's website reckons my login deets are invalid even though they worked the other day and the password reset link never sends me an email. That's fine though because I can't see the monthly option that's all I wanted anyway, so gently caress me I guess. :shrug:

Welcome to the Dassault experience. It only gets worse from here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Commodore_64 posted:

Oh hey, anyone who has Solidworks for makers should check their bank / credit card statements. I got charged $710 dollars for my $99 annual subscription. Got a flood of super scammy sounding / phishing esque group emails about it, turned out they were real! Apparently I got copied with everyone one else who it happened to, or at least a subset.

DSS putting in the work to gently caress themselves over... What a joke.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Inventor will be an easy jump from fusion.

Since they listed inventior and Autocad together they probably mean grognard Autocad.

No experience with certs personally.

They definitely mean 2d AutoCAD. It's still widely used, especially on legacy products. I use it for exactly that reason.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

At my first job out of school in ~2010 we used exclusively 2D autocad. We also regularly pulled velum drawings out of the fireproof vault, made small edits, scanned them, and reprinted in full D sized glory to hand to the machinists.

I thought it was bonkers at first, but because they hadn't changed their product line meaningfully since the 60's (industrial bulk processing equipment) it worked fine. The shop expected well made 2D prints, the parts were designed for fairly manual machining although they did use some CNC, and so they just kept trucking with the old school way.

Converting everything to 3D and then making drawings from that would have been a massive upfront effort and the engineering team was like 3 guys. It was actually a super good learning experience for about 6 months, then I started to go crazy.

Welcome to my life. I regularly use drawings from the 70s, which were 2D Autocad converted in the early 00s. For new stuff, I use SolidWorks. I've spent literally weeks of time adding parts to my SW folders, not even with drawings, just the models. I'm finally at the point where I can build full assemblies in SW. I still have all the velum drawings, and occasionally need to photograph/rectify/digitize one for an old product.

That said, I still use AutoCad for a lot of wiring diagrams, cable diagrams, and the like, purely because the framework already exists, and I spent a lot of time making templates for some common complex parts, so I can just Copy/Paste into CAD. I'm sure there are better ways to accomplish these goals, but I'm self-taught and a one-man shop.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

queeb posted:

hey friends all my loving around produced this and im really happy.

That looks great! Congrats

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

L0cke17 posted:

Ugh that's fuckin bullshit that is.

Having seen the quotes for solidworks at my work HOW. Isnt a license nearing $5k?

Yup. And now they'll back-charge you for any "missed" versions if you skip a few years. Greedy fucks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

withak posted:

Why a permanent ladder to the roof?

The great white north, I'd imagine. Same with the snow breakers.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

L0cke17 posted:

Well I paid them, got my confirmation email, and the link just takes me to a big "access denied" page lmao. Great product.

Get used to it. The product is fine, but the process is awful. I'm still pissed that they killed online floating licenses for the desktop, which was critical for me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
https://youtu.be/dKx1wnXClcI

https://youtu.be/S-3wEC6Fj_8

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Sharks I’m 8 minutes in and absolutely cackling, this is going to get some serious air time at work.
Glad to share.

His style is incredible. Watch the Musescore one too. My wife uses Finale, which he hasn't done a video on yet. If you want the SOLIDWORKS install process to feel better, watch his Dorico video.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Spaghett posted:

I also don't know of many modern shops that use manual machinery or manual programming.

There are thousands of job shops that run a poo poo load of manual machines. You don't write cam or use a CNC for a one off part.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

poo poo so many of my customers don’t even need full 3 axis CAM. Plates with holes really make the world go round.

I don’t think I’ve even been party to a sale for a customer doing 2 axis turning, the folks that need CAM for turning machines are usually doing multiple spindles or mill turn.

My local shop just bought a big Haas lathe. No live tooling, nothing fancy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shame on an IGA posted:

I'll put a dollar on 255

254. Counting starts at zero, donchaknow

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Rectal Placenta posted:

My Solidworks can't activate because a Windows update changed the unique ID of my computer in the licensing thing, which is pretty sweet.

They used to tie the floating registration to your MAC, which Windows changes on every WiFi connection/reboot since Win10. Good times. Then they killed the online floating license entirely. Even better!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NewFatMike posted:

Your VAR can fix that for you, it should take all of five minutes.

Indeed they can, but when it happens ever reboot, it gets old.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

AlexDeGruven posted:

Something else is going on here. Windows doesn't change the system's signature every time you reboot, or even in updates.

Yes, it does, if you've got Randomize MAC address turned on. I used to swap the license from my desktop to my laptop regularly, and what would happen is that I'd re-certify the desktop, transfer the license to the laptop, it would work, and when I removed the license from the laptop or rebooted my laptop, it would lock the license it because the machine config was "different". The license would then be stuck in limbo until I called my VAR and they'd release it, and I could reactivate it on my desktop or back on the laptop. They said it was "a known issue" at the time.

At least that was the case with SW2020, which is the version I'm on. Not that it matters anymore, as they killed the license switching thing that caused me to actually pay for SW when they released 2021. I'll be stuck at 2020 until something forces me to upgrade.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

No time to work on it until the new year, but I'm gonna keep at it.

This is amazing. I feel like an SLA printer might be great for this. As would a CMM, lol.