Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Current and former military get the $20 deal too. Probably other groups as well. (Students?)

Thank you very much for this info. I rarely pursue veteran discounts for stuff, but this was super easy to do and now I'm just waiting for them to email the download link and my key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

mattfl posted:

Hey CAD people, help me out here.

I have this (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4345459) STL file that I need to make bigger as this shroud is made for a smaller fan.

I need to enlarge just the base of it so that the holes are roughly 3" apart from each other all the way around and not change the dimension of the mount on it.

What would be my best way to accomplish this?

Have a look at this and see if it'll do the trick. I can make adjustments pretty quickly if something doesn't seem quite right. It's kind of a kludge, but it's a kludge that should print just fine. :)

https://www.farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl.stl

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The much smarter version of me just realized exactly what you were doing this for. I'm running a short piece of the mounting plate right now to check the hole spacing against the E10 itself. Should have a yea/nay for you in about 20 minutes.

e: Yeah, don't bother printing that one yet, sorry. I did a thing wrong. Fixed version to follow shortly.

e again: Those drat fan screws are 2 13/16 inches apart. This one ought to fit right. https://farscapeprops.com/3M_thing_for_mattfl_fixed.stl

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 10, 2021

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Happy to be able to help! Worst case, you might have to hog the screw holes out just a bit, but I think it'll be OK.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The educational/personal/maker/etc. versions of lots of really expensive programs are usually not cross-compatible with the commercial versions in some way or another. A big reason is to keep companies from using those versions as free seats for their entire engineering department, and then just transferring the files to their one paid license for the final output.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

NomNomNom posted:

From what research I've done it seems to be a known issue with Fusion, it just expects that the units for any svg are 96 dpi. Which I guess means your scale factor is related to your display resolution?

The Shaper app is working correctly, if I inspect the metadata the units are clearly mm, and if I convert it to a DXF and import that the units are correct.

If it saves SVG files at 72ppi like Adobe Illustrator does, it'll have to be scaled up in Fusion by 1.333333 (basically as many threes as you can give it). If it's doing its own unique thing, I got nuthin'.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

STL files don't actually contain any measurement unit information. If it's importing into Fusion way out of whack like that, unfortunately you're just going to have to scale it manually.

(e) ^^ drat you!! LOL

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

You can also override units anytime. Working in inches? Type 6mm in the box and it'll convert automatically.
You just changed my life.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Wait until you're working on a part where you have to mix units and you realize you can enter stuff like (2mm + 3/4")/2 directly into a dimension field

I have so much to learn.

On a somewhat cool note, I'm now the proud owner of an educational Solidworks license. It's only $20 a year if you're a US military veteran, not sure if the same program is available in other countries too, but it seemed like a fair enough amount to gamble as far as trying to learn some Big Boy CAD stuff.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 22, 2023

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah!

Is it SOLIDWORKS desktop or 3DEXPERIENCE? If the former, click the “?” Icon in the top right and hit the “tutorials” button — there are a BUNCH and it’s my first stop when I poke at a new tool in the software.

If the latter, I can grab some links to the incomplete (but still helpful) copy of those online for ya.

It's the desktop version of 2023 which appears to also include Electrical, Composer, and Visualize. I've had it installed for a few days but just haven't really had time to look at it... but finally have nothing I need do today, no actual adult responsibilities whatsoever, so it's at least partially going to be Coffee and Tutorial Day. :toot:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Almost all of my 3D modeling experience is in stuff like Lightwave and Max, so exactly nothing in a proper CAD program works the way I think it should LOL... but it's never to late to start learning something new, right? I'm not completely unfamiliar with Fusion 360, but very far from proficient, and then I ran across the deal for Solidworks (sorry NFM, I can't bring myself to properly shout that) which seemed like the right opportunity to start putting some more focused effort into learning. And here we are! I actually went through the first basic modeling tutorial today, and aside from being all elbows and assholes with an unfamiliar interface it went just fine. I'll probably run through it again tomorrow to build up a little more familiarity and then move on to the next one. I've got nothing but time, really just doing this for me, so not in a rush to become a self-proclaimed expert by the end of the month or anything like that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Blondihacks has a tutorial video on using/reading calipers and micrometers. It's a little long, so feel free to skip ahead to the good parts if you don't feel like you need the beginner-y stuff, but the whole thing really is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8U_gg6Qz6c