Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNt1aSkYfWk

Life is Strange is an episodic narrative adventure series developed by Dontnod and Deck Nine and published by Square-Enix. The first episode of Season One was released worldwide on January 29th, 2015 and the franchise has seen consistent prequels, sequels, and spinoff media since then. While each new entry tends to feature distinct characters and settings, all games share similar themes of teenage melodrama, supernatural powers, budding queer romance, dead relatives, and affecting indie soundtracks. Gameplay typically takes the form of a point-and-click adventure with a strong emphasis on dialogue choice and branching paths in mostly peaceful, domestic environments. There's a unique emotional intensity and unrepentant willingness to "go there" on any number of issues that make every Life is Strange game memorable, for better and for worse.

Life is Strange is the first and still widely considered to be the best game in the series. You play as Max Caulfield, an anxious and indecisive photography student who returns to her hometown of Arcadia Bay after five years of living in Seattle and mysteriously gains the power to rewind time when a chance encounter saves the life of her former best friend Chloe Price. Max reconnects with Chloe to solve an abduction plot that has resulted in the disappearance of Blackwell Academy debutante Rachel Amber, all the while using her newfound time travel powers to unravel the town's dark mysteries, prevent a weather apocalypse, and order a third helping of pancakes. Season One establishes the franchise's reputation for sudden and dramatic turns contrasted against placid scenes of small town Americana, with an ending that still has people arguing Bay or Bae (it's Bae).

Before the Storm is a prequel to Life is Strange developed by newcomer Colorado-based studio Deck Nine. Taking place three years before the events of the original game, you play as 16-year old Chloe Price shortly after the death of her father and abandonment by her former best friend Max. This three-episode arc tells the story of how Chloe came to meet Rachel Amber and their unlikely bond through parental trauma. Despite being made by a new developer that did not even feature supernatural powers or much of the original voice cast, Before the Storm was a surprisingly thoughtful and well-written expansion of the Arcadia Bay saga. It also features the short Farewell episode between Chloe and Max starring their original actors and a haunting soundtrack by Daughter.

Life is Strange 2 was again developed by Dontnod and makes several departures from the series up to that point, featuring a revolving door of settings and characters as opposed to taking place within a single location. You play as Sean and Daniel Diaz, a pair of brothers on a run to the Mexico border after tragedy results in both the death of their father and the sudden awakening of Daniel's telekinetic powers. It's up to 16-year old Sean to keep his brother safe and guide him to use his powers responsibly. Life is Strange 2 is perhaps the most overtly political game in the series up to this point, taking clear aim at the racism and xenophobia of the Trump administration. Its slower pace and foundational sibling relationship were both risks that, while not as widely beloved as the Arcadia Bay saga, I think ultimately found its own voice. The companion Amazing Adventures of Captain Spirit chapter is free for anyone to download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCx-j4hrwpA

True Colors returns the series to Deck Nine and some familiar ground with another female protagonist where the player directly controls her abilities. It stars Alex Chen, a young woman who has spent most of her life in foster care and holds the psychic ability to absorb the emotions of others. When her brother Gabe dies in a so-called accident, Alex must use her powers to uncover the truth behind the idyllic town of Haven Springs. This is the first Life is Strange game that will not release episodically, instead premiering all at once with the option of taking chapter breaks. It's also the first game in the series to feature full motion and performance capture.

Life is Strange: True Colors will debut at 12PM EST on Thursday, September 9th for PS5/XBSX, PS4/XB1, and PC. It will also be followed with remasters of the original Life is Strange and Before the Storm with improved animations, lighting, and puzzle elements in early 2022. Both True Colors and the Life is Strange remasters will be available for the Switch in late 2021/early 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o69FMYlJ_48

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There will also be a bonus episode starring Steph you can get if you order the Deluxe or Ultimate Editions.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 18, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Mo-cop is going to go a long ways to addressing a lot of the complaints about the original games. Stiff animations have always been pretty high on the list of problems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A bit more info:

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2021/3/18/22334256/life-is-strange-true-colors-release-date-mxmtoon

The game’s preorder page talks a bit more about the bonus episode too (seems it’s about Steph doing a radio show and takes place prior to the events of True Colors)

There’s also some bonus outfits for Alex based on previous games:

https://imgur.com/a/6CBAz1q

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 18, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, this looks dope.

I kind of wonder (to carry on the talk from last thread) if the reason we haven't seen any returning characters from LiS1 outside of David (who was played by his BTS VA if I remember right) is because of the whole strike situation - I recall there were articles that talked about how Ashly Burch in particular was upset at being replaced in BTS so she might not want to come back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, this looks dope.

I kind of wonder (to carry on the talk from last thread) if the reason we haven't seen any returning characters from LiS1 outside of David (who was played by his BTS VA if I remember right) is because of the whole strike situation - I recall there were articles that talked about how Ashly Burch in particular was upset at being replaced in BTS so she might not want to come back.

Burch crossed picket lines to write/consult for the game and came back for Farewell so I can’t imagine she was that pissed off about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think it's most likely because no game yet has canonized an ending to Life is Strange 1 and almost every character in Arcadia Bay could be dead. There's also probably some murky legal stuff around what properties belong to Dontnod vs. Deck Nine vs. Square Enix. The Farewell episode in BTS did indeed feature Ashly Burch and Hannah Telle once the strike ended, and she was a credited writer on the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, going by the Bae version of LiS 2 and this it seems the following characters survived the storm:

Max
Chloe
David
Victoria (there’s a letter from her in David’s trailer)
Steph
The North Family (according to a guidebook that was released they apparently left town some time after the events of BTS)
Jefferson (presumably)

Also correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t Square own the full rights to the franchise?

But yeah, the fact that Steph is not only back but also datable, important to the story, and getting her own side episode is good news in my opinion (the rest seems pretty good as well for that matter)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 18, 2021

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm reasonably excited for this, but LiS2 left a bad taste in my mouth. For a game all about choice, it seemed that so often my choices did not matter and the game felt railroaded when compared to LiS1. I'll probably wait until this eventually goes on sale like the other two do all the time

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

life is strange 2 is quite possibly the worst type of these games since the walking dead 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It looks like True Colors will be a bit more like the first game all things considered (you’re in a small community with a consistent cast of side characters and you have direct control over the power)

Also while the game isn’t episodic like the rest of the series it apparently will still be divided into chapters with breaks in between.

Kind of curious why they didn’t just call this Life is Strange 3 though.

The remasters are looking good so far as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i will play this probably

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked lis2 more than tell my why i think. and probably more than some of the telltales

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i cant imagine any contract scheme where dontnod has any ip rights related to this series no

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Did anyone else watch the stream? I feel like during the entire "welcome to the world of Life is Strange" there was maybe 2 seconds max of footage from LiS2.

They kind of shot themselves in the foot making it set in the same world as LiS using the same title but using almost completely opposite storytelling devices. I am surprised Deck Nine said they've been working on this since 2017. That means the started immediately after finish BtS so Square Enix probably loved their tryout and agreed to let them make a full independent game.

Conceivably possible that Dontnod having something in the early stages for a LiS3 which is why the avoided numbering this one, or they realized that numbering them was a bad idea after the backlash to the second one for being so completely different. They've got 6 games in production, and I guess despite Twin Mirror doing pretty bad they made money off the Tell Me Why deal so if they want to try and reclaim the adventure narrative they desperately need a hit.

Super No Vacancy posted:

i liked lis2 more than tell my why i think. and probably more than some of the telltales

I've never played any of the Telltales beyond The Walking Dead S1 but I've never heard good things about any of them beyond the Borderlands and Wolf Among Us. Look at this roster

The Walking Dead
The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Tales from the Borderlands
Game of Thrones
Minecraft: Story Mode
The Walking Dead: Michonne
Batman: The Telltale Series
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series
Minecraft: Story Mode – Season Two
Batman: The Enemy Within
The Walking Dead: The Final Season

Everything up until they went under. Some of the biggest IPs in the world and no one ever talks about those Telltale games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Man I know it's Twitter but the Twitter replies to the post about the new game are insane to me. People saying it looks boring cause the power is boring, people saying it looks too different from the other games, people saying ugh just a spin-off where's LIS3. It feels like I'm looking at an alternate reality

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any kind of new game with Max and Chloe would probably sell a million copies off that hype alone. The fanbase by and large are entirely obsessed with the series because of the those characters not because they love adventure games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I’m glad they’ve resisted making another Max & Chloe game up to this point, I think their story is best left to the comics and alternate media (plus Chloe and Rachel’s dynamic is way more interesting).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True Colors apparently takes place in 2019:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 18, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Steph would be 24-25 in 2019.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Steph would be 24-25 in 2019.

Ah right, she was still a freshman at Blackwell during BtS. And she does look a bit older to be fair:

I wonder if this game will have any nods to LiS 2 in that case

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

True Colors apparently takes place in 2019:

Steph looks pretty young for a 28 year old then

BTS is 2011
LIS is 2013
LIS2 is late 2016

I don't remember what year Steph was in BTS but at most she's 26.

Also, the Steph epsiode mentions her reconnecting with "old friends" so it's almost certain to be Mikey. She was pretty close/interested in Rachel too so I'd expect mention of that to come up if you can dig into her past during conversations.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

BTS is 2011
LIS is 2013
LIS2 is late 2016

I don't remember what year Steph was in BTS but at most she's 26.

Also, the Steph epsiode mentions her reconnecting with "old friends" so it's almost certain to be Mikey. She was pretty close/interested in Rachel too so I'd expect mention of that to come up if you can dig into her past during conversations.

Yeah, you’re right (and Steph was apparently a freshman at Blackwell back then according to the developers). But in any case I’m happy to see that she’s not only a major character this time around but also getting her own episode to boot.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

pentyne posted:

I've never played any of the Telltales beyond The Walking Dead S1 but I've never heard good things about any of them beyond the Borderlands and Wolf Among Us. Look at this roster

The Walking Dead
The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Tales from the Borderlands
Game of Thrones
Minecraft: Story Mode
The Walking Dead: Michonne
Batman: The Telltale Series
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series
Minecraft: Story Mode – Season Two
Batman: The Enemy Within
The Walking Dead: The Final Season

Everything up until they went under. Some of the biggest IPs in the world and no one ever talks about those Telltale games.

I mean my 9 year old son loves Minecraft Story Mode and played it multiple times over the last few years. They had that thing on Netflix.

But yeah, some things may just be a matter of demographics and flying under the radar for us adults, but I don't see a lot about most of that list, except to say how disappointing things they tend to be.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also with Steph being a major character this time (along with one of the main two romance options) I hope there’s another D&D session or two at some point.

I expect more Hawt Dawg Man as well (he’s been in every game so far after all)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd be 100% cool with Deck Nine's trademark for their adventure games having in game D&D sessions with some of the cast. The entire game is narrative driven choice & consequences and a 1-2 hr casual distraction like that with banter and chat between the cast goes an enormous way to making them feel more real then random conversations about life.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since the game takes place in 2019 I wonder if they’ll let us choose whether we want to play in the Bay or Bae timeline like LiS 2 did again

Either way I’m glad Steph got out of Arcadia Bay, she’s too good for that town

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
I'm ready to be hurt again.

Still silently hoping they do a game with all 4 LiS protags at once someday. It's not lie continuity is a huge problem since they've done this is a different timeline in every game but yeah unlikely as hell......I want my super power team up damnit

But man do these games look pretty now

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

I'm ready to be hurt again.

Still silently hoping they do a game with all 4 LiS protags at once someday. It's not lie continuity is a huge problem since they've done this is a different timeline in every game but yeah unlikely as hell......I want my super power team up damnit

But man do these games look pretty now

Uh, no? Every game has been on the same timeline so far (BTS is 3 years before the first game, LiS 2 is 3 years after the first game with the option at the start to choose which ending you want to follow, and True Colors is 2 years after the end of LiS 2)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

This game looks really cool and I am hyped for Life is Strange yet again

e: REMASTERS OF 1 AND BTS YESSS

THIS HELLA RULES

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 18, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also going by screenshots the remasters are looking pretty good as well (the models in the first game seem to be able to actually emote properly and the ones from BTS look less like they’re made of plastic)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Supposedly a bunch of stuff was cut from LiS 1's last episode because of budget and time, I heard something similar for BTS. I wonder if the remaster will restore some of it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What I know about BtS is that there was apparently a cut Backtalk segment with Taylor in Episode 1 (though it kind of makes Chloe come off as a complete rear end in a top hat), a longer conversation with Sera in 3, and in the same episode you apparently originally had the choice to treat Frank’s wounds at the mill before you confronted Damon.

While I like the replacements well enough it could also be cool if they re-recorded the returning characters from BtS with Ashly Burch and the others. Not sure if that’d be feasible though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I would support bringing back the originals because scabs are bad.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said, most of them were decent in my opinion but true, the actors for the BtS exclusive characters can stay of course (BtS David apparently reprised his role in Episode 5 of LiS 2, BtS Frank played Chris’ dad, and from the sound of things Katy Bentz will be reprising her role as Steph in this game)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 19, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ironically none of the scab actors knew they were reading for Life is Strange until they were hired, which was one of the reasons for the SAG-AFTRA strike in the first place. It's almost entirely Square-Enix's fault that none of the union actors reprised their roles in BTS, since they weren't even one of the companies being struck and could have established their own contracts with another studio if they really wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, why did they bring the BtS actor for David in for LiS 2 as opposed to the guy from the first game?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So according to Dayeanne Hutton‘s recent stream it seems the only changes to the remastered version of the first two games is updated graphics and animations (along with a couple new bonus outfits for Chloe in BTS it would seem). So no new scenes or re-recorded dialogue

Ah well, the models at least look a bit better based on screenshots I’ve seen if nothing else (there’s likely going to be a few bug fixes as well)

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
How could you possibly mo-cap that dance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

What I know about BtS is that there was apparently a cut Backtalk segment

this reminds me that the OP is wrong, chloe does have supernatural powers - she can purely channel the elemental plane of teenage angst

Larryb posted:

I expect more Hawt Dawg Man as well (he’s been in every game so far after all)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 19, 2021