Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Hawt Dawg Man shirt has already been confirmed as one of the outfits Alex can wear, the legend lives on:

Also, according to the Steam page it says the remakes will feature "Updated and refined gameplay puzzles". Not sure what that means though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1450571/Life_is_Strange_True_Colors__Alex_Outfit_Pack/

This seems to indicate that True Colors will be four chapters in total plus the bonus prequel episode starring Steph.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I finished Tell Me Why episode 1 and felt it was a big step up from Life is Strange 2 so far. It's much more engaging as a mystery/drama where plot is about making sense of a confusing past, and the memory mechanic of picking which twin's memory you decide to believe goes a long way to get you invested in you story your choices are telling. I don't know if there are right/wrong options but the end slate lists the decisions so it's pretty clear there's some long term effect as a result.

Honestly the whole mystery angle of it works so much better for the adventure game format. It's like reading a book or watching a drama, the tension is in what will be discovered, how people react, and how it changes the status quo. It makes for a much more compelling narrative.

Larryb posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1450571/Life_is_Strange_True_Colors__Alex_Outfit_Pack/

This seems to indicate that True Colors will be four chapters in total plus the bonus prequel episode starring Steph.

They better be using chapters as a reference to the passing of seasons rather then content, because it's usually a 2-3 hour episode play-through even with trying to 100% the optional stuff, and a 8-10 hour $60 adventure game is going to be a hard sell.

The bonus prequel is a separate game with a separate price, I'm assuming as part of the $12 deluxe upgrade, so that's not even part of the discussion.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s included with the Deluxe Edition, yes (as well as the Ultimate Edition which gives you that plus the remakes of LiS and BtS). But I’m not sure whether it’s a separate game or just tacked onto True Colors like Farewell was to BtS.

It does count though since as I mentioned it’s apparently a prequel to the main game.

And yeah, aesthetically speaking Tell Me Why is essentially a Life is Strange game in all but name.

Come to think of it, with Square Enix fully owning the rights to the LiS franchise it seems like DontNod has discovered a convenient loophole: Basically they can still make a game that has all the trappings of a Life is Strange title but as long as they don’t use the name or any established characters they’re fine.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 20, 2021

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would not really characterize doing something the law intends to permit as a loophole

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Given PS5s are literally impossible to get, anyone know if you’ll be able to upgrade if you have the ps4 version?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like you get both versions when you buy the game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Given PS5s are literally impossible to get, anyone know if you’ll be able to upgrade if you have the ps4 version?

The Deluxe and Ultimate Editions are available for all platforms, yes (I already preordered the PS4 version)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off topic but I just wanted to share this. Somebody made a Life is Strange video a while back in the style of the True Detective intro:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbO_qqc_p6E

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also just a note for anyone who bought the Ultimate Edition, the Steam page for the game says that the bonus episode and the two remakes won’t come out until sometime AFTER True Colors does (I didn’t see that part at first and assumed you’d just get everything all at once).

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice to see Steph make a return.

I assume refined puzzles means less bottles to find.

I couldn't get far into LiS2, and the meh reviews of Tell Me Why had me hold off on buying it. This already looks more interesting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Poor new love interested dude, he has no chance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

His competition is Steph Gingrich, he never had a prayer to begin with.

In fact, the female love interest in LiS games always seems to be the better choice in my opinion. At the very least I’m hoping Ryan doesn’t turn out to be a creep like most of his counterparts did (Warren was probably the best of the bunch so far and even that’s just by comparison)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Poor new love interested dude, he has no chance.

Ryan seems like a nice boy, I wish him well, but in Life is Strange being gay is mandatory.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Ryan seems like a nice boy, I wish him well, but in Life is Strange being gay is mandatory.

Indeed, the only time I ever went against that was in LiS 2 (and that was mainly because I liked Cassidy a lot more than Finn)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I didn't like Cassidy or Finn, but one was a dumbass idiot trying to egg on your brother to pull off a magic heist and the other was wanting your brother to be safe so I went with the latter one

I laughed out loud at the idea that the game gave me the option to stop and talk to Finn while breaking out of the hospital. Yeah let me just stop and have a chat with the moron that caused this in the first place lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tell Me Why Episode 2 is a bit of a let down. It doesn't really do much to move the story forward, and the reveals are all pretty obvious things. The focus seems more on the mentality and community of small towns and their approach to tragedy. It feels short, like barely anything of interest happens before it hits the end scene and dumps the big news stuff.

It really wants to have it's LiS moments too, like suddenly dropping a playful back and forth with some banter for Tyler to show romantic interest in someone he's spoken to for maybe 10 seconds overall. There's just no time to develop a connection with any of the side cast as the major focus is on the twins, and they're always together so any one on one stuff is few and far between. The best parts are the 1 on 1 heartfelt conversations with the twins as they both try to struggle with their shared past and the challenge of trying to seek closure.

It does leave a strong impression that you can go real hard in different directions for how you frame the story. The choices it measures are usually hitting a pretty big split, 70% or higher for the "good" choice. Going pretty hard into raging at the world and the people around you would probably come off as a very different narrative experience. I think on of the options to tell someone to "gently caress off" in so many words had a selection rate of less then 10%.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

pentyne posted:

Tell Me Why Episode 2 is a bit of a let down. It doesn't really do much to move the story forward, and the reveals are all pretty obvious things. The focus seems more on the mentality and community of small towns and their approach to tragedy. It feels short, like barely anything of interest happens before it hits the end scene and dumps the big news stuff.

It really wants to have it's LiS moments too, like suddenly dropping a playful back and forth with some banter for Tyler to show romantic interest in someone he's spoken to for maybe 10 seconds overall. There's just no time to develop a connection with any of the side cast as the major focus is on the twins, and they're always together so any one on one stuff is few and far between. The best parts are the 1 on 1 heartfelt conversations with the twins as they both try to struggle with their shared past and the challenge of trying to seek closure.

It does leave a strong impression that you can go real hard in different directions for how you frame the story. The choices it measures are usually hitting a pretty big split, 70% or higher for the "good" choice. Going pretty hard into raging at the world and the people around you would probably come off as a very different narrative experience. I think on of the options to tell someone to "gently caress off" in so many words had a selection rate of less then 10%.

People really really hate picking the "mean" options in games

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I finally played through chapter 2 myself and I was surprised how many chose the forgiveness options.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SirKibbles posted:

People really really hate picking the "mean" options in games

I think it's more that people are conditioned to the "mean" option being just an NPC going "gosh you're so mean, anyway here's the exact same text and options you'd get with the nice option."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothBear posted:

I think it's more that people are conditioned to the "mean" option being just an NPC going "gosh you're so mean, anyway here's the exact same text and options you'd get with the nice option."

Yeah, as I’ve found through experimentation the LiS series (and similar DontNod created games) doesn’t really hold back as much in that regard (for example, try picking “No Need” during the conversation with Victoria near the end of Episode 4 of the original)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I played LiS1 2x and made some different choices but it didn't seem to effect the overall game that much. A lot of the differences seem to happen in the small stuff, casual conversations or little dialogue changes. Maybe going extremely hard in one direction or another is like playing a different game, but I didn't experience it.

LiS2 definitely let you go hard in different directions for how you act and treat people, and I only played it once but many of the alternatives seem radically different given how dramatic each episode ends. Everything being viewed from the lens of how Daniel reacts to what he sees made for a more engaging decisions as you weighed both the short term and long term cost relative to Daniel's attitude about powers and law. Growing Sean as a character is a mix between what an almost adult high school-er would be like and having to take a parental role to keep the younger brother safe.

Tell Me Why as a whole is big on what kind of person you want to remember the abusive mom as, who you forgive from your past, and how you reconnect with the twin sister. It does the thing where certain choices are only available as a result of building up some invisible counter throughout the course of the game. I really like that because it makes the previous hours have weight and impact as you can't just reload and pick the alternative and be done with it.

There's a certain level of interest in playing Tyler as going full on rage against his past and the people who let him down, blaming everyone and not offering an ounce of forgiveness. Similarly if choosing to always side with Allyson and take her side of events it kind of completely changes the underlying narrative of how their mother treated them. There's a really great moment where the twins kind of disagree how it happened, and a third party claims to have witnessed it differently as well, which then leads to the possibility that neither of them are right.

In general the memory aspect was probably the best supernatural power they've done yet, and when they incorporated it into more complex game-play interactions it worked way better. A choice based adventure narrative where you also re-write the past at the same time? That has enormous storytelling potential and its kind of a shame it was used in a shorter episode series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I’m sort of curious if the remasters will also give you the option to change the voice language like you could in LiS 2, Captain Spirit, and Tell Me Why. Might make for a slightly more unique experience at any rate

I also wonder if they’ll let you transfer your save data over if you already own the original games.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 23, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Tell Me Why did fully nail what small town Alaska is like, it was uncanny and reminded me of a few places I've lived.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DreadUnknown posted:

Tell Me Why did fully nail what small town Alaska is like, it was uncanny and reminded me of a few places I've lived.

Out of curiosity, is Delos Crossing a real Alaskan town or is it like Arcadia Bay where it was just inspired by a real world location(s)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some more info on True Colors:

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/life-strange-true-colors

Sounds like the exploration aspect might be a bit more open world compared to the other titles, which could be interesting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 24, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

24 outfits gently caress yeah babyyyy

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Macaluso posted:

24 outfits gently caress yeah babyyyy

Gay as hell soundtrack,clothes I'm in baby

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've been playing a lot of Yakuza games lately, and if they went big on a dramatic open world adventure game like that with a ton of exploration and interactions it could really expand the potential of the series.

Gonna need to know if they have any minigames first, specifically karaoke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to that article Steph is into LARPing, hopefully that means we’ll get to join her for a session at some point (or at the very least give us some more D&D segments).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I wonder how long a Life is Strange game can realistically get. Having a larger town to explore and no longer being limited by an episodic release schedule has its benefits, but I struggle to imagine a main narrative that can sustain LiS' particular brand of melodrama for 15-20 straight hours.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder how long a Life is Strange game can realistically get. Having a larger town to explore and no longer being limited by an episodic release schedule has its benefits, but I struggle to imagine a main narrative that can sustain LiS' particular brand of melodrama for 15-20 straight hours.

One of the previews or interviews or something about it I think made it sound like the structure will still be episodic, just released all at once, like how Alan Wake was presented

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

One of the previews or interviews or something about it I think made it sound like the structure will still be episodic, just released all at once, like how Alan Wake was presented

Yeah, it’s confirmed the game will still be split into chapters (I think there’s around 4 or so plus a Steph focused prequel that will be released sometime after the main game is)

Though with a slightly more open world style of gameplay and if I’m interpreting the article I posted right, a fair number of optional side quests/puzzles I’m curious how the obligatory collectables are going to work this time.

This is the part that intrigues me the most honestly. Is it still linear in nature where you're going point to point, interacting with any readable material in between? Which has been the case with every LiS game. Or is going to be more open ended where you can walk around town whenever you want, and you go to a point on the map to access a mission and so on?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also here’s some voice actor information courtesy of the wiki (and Alex’s actress was named in the reveal trailer).

Alex is played by Erika Mori

Ryan is played by Eric Emery

Gabe is played by Han Soto

And by her own admission, Katy Bentz is back as Steph

Don’t recognize any of the first three voices, have any of them been in anything else?

Soto is apparently part of the SAG though, making this the first LiS related thing to feature any union actors since the Farewell episode of BtS.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 25, 2021

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Erika Mori was Hitomi in Kamen Rider. I don't know about the others

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I meant more in the sense of preserving the kind of narrative intensity the series is infamous for. I'm thinking about sequences like the Tempest scene through the end of BTS Episode 2 or literally all of LiS Episode 4 and how much the emotional shock of those chapters would be blunted if you could just kind of walk around town doing whatever in between. I don't think a more open world is necessarily a bad thing, but it does kind of introduce its own challenges when trying to tell a focused story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Erika Mori was Hitomi in Kamen Rider. I don't know about the others

Kamen Rider Hibiki to be exact. From what I gather Han Soto has had some bit parts in movies:

https://imdb.com/name/nm2404349/

Eric Emery seems like a new face on the voice acting scene and I can’t find much on him. Either he’s a singer or he did voiceovers in commercials.

Also Katy Bentz has apparently done a few movies/shows since her time on Life is Strange (not sure if she’s union now or not though):

https://imdb.com/name/nm8689903/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 25, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Developer presentation video on True Colors:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lie9S0Ibf0Q

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
- More agency in exploration and interaction with the town

- Larger space built out then previous LiS games

- Steph picked to emphasize the inter-connectivey of the LiS games, they want to develop the series into more of an linked anthology

- Says romance offered is 'more choice' then previous LiS games, and Ryan and Steph are integral to the main story, and romancing them should significantly impact how the story develops (maybe reading too much into that)

- Building relationships with the rest of the town also a big factor in how the game plays

Sounds good for now, the Steph/Ryan thing has potential for them to sort of take the game narrative in two different directions based on who you get close too, but that's extremely ambitious and I haven't heard of any game trying it since Witcher 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think Steph and probably several other elements of True Colors existed as concepts in whatever Deck Nine originally pitched to Square Enix before they had them work on a Life is Strange game.