Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What are games you played completely wrong or misunderstood as a kid? For example as a kid I'd just put on rogue squadron multiplayer so I could use it as a flight simulator and I'd get really upset when enemies shot at me.

I also hated getting on the boat in Wind Waker as a kid so I'd spend as much time as I could just running around islands and exploring every inch I could even if I couldn't get far because I didn't have the right items. It was a very ominous and mysterious experience that stuck with me hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

After I got the all weapons and unlimited ammo cheats in goldeneye 64 I never played a normal game again I just went through every level with the watch laser on full blast making lightsaber noises

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I was afraid(?) to lose the grand prix in Super Mario Kart so I just ran time trials with every character on every course and kept score in a notebook

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I was afraid(?) to lose the grand prix in Super Mario Kart so I just ran time trials with every character on every course and kept score in a notebook

That's just good training dude.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I posted this before but I used to just load up Tetris and stack the blocks to the top of the screen as fast as possible and think I won.

Not exactly the same as playing it wrong but I also used to play the first level of Castlevania then turn it off when I got to the second level because the medusa head boss at the end was too scary.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I thought WoW was a Diablo clone so I spent however long it takes a 13 year old to get to level 25 trying to make a Rogue like a warrior.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

My brother and I would play spy vs spy on the commodore 64 and just fight each other and lay traps, when our dad showed us that you could collect these key items and beat the level we were like "NO! That makes it end!"

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Whenever we rented SM64 me and my sister would pretend Mario was a baby and crawl around the castle making crying noises.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my brother and I had a challenge game called "Don't stomp the Luigis," in which you'd beat Special World to get the Mario faces on the koopas, then there was one level, I think on the twin bridges, loaded with green paratroopers, and you had to make it through without stomping on any of them. we played it with friends and cousins and stuff too

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
One of the NES games we owned as a kid was Dragon Warrior. I was too young to fully understand how to actually make progress, but I loved the game so I'd just keep starting a new file and then seeing how far I could explore away from the starting town and what cool new enemies I could encounter before I eventually ran out of HP and died.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wormskull posted:

Whenever we rented SM64 me and my sister would pretend Mario was a baby and crawl around the castle making crying noises.

Lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

whenever we played City Trial in Kirby Air Ride, my sister and i completely ignored trying to grab power-ups and instead spent the entire time trying to grab the coolest-looking air ride machines we could find while the CPUs raked in the items

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i had a trial disk of dave mirra's bmx and me and my buddies stayed up super late one night trying to find the longest single trick we could get and try to go as long past the timer as we could coming up with goofy names when we were done. i got the high score of five minutes with an insane grinding run with a ton of tricka that scored like 80000 points. when i finally ended it i just looked at everyone and said "i call that the great bear"

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

American McGay posted:

One of the NES games we owned as a kid was Dragon Warrior. I was too young to fully understand how to actually make progress, but I loved the game so I'd just keep starting a new file and then seeing how far I could explore away from the starting town and what cool new enemies I could encounter before I eventually ran out of HP and died.

I didn’t understand leveling when I played the original Final Fantasy so I just walked straight to Garland’s castle and died immediately.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
in the original pokemon i made it through the dark caves without having access to flash because i never talked to the npc who gave you the hm. i thought trial and error was the way they expected you to do it

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Don’t think this is exactly wrong, but goldeneye 64 we’d do prox mines on complex, load the map with mines and go stare at a corner waiting for someone to die.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Tetramin posted:

Don’t think this is exactly wrong, but goldeneye 64 we’d do prox mines on complex, load the map with mines and go stare at a corner waiting for someone to die.

My brother wouldn't play the game with me unless he could do this on Facility with one hit kills on and I always hated it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tetramin posted:

my brother and i would race to choose siberian special forces who we called “gruesome gary” because he looked the coolest. we would then stick mines on glass, shoot the glass, and crack up at the mines floating in the air. i don’t recall much actual competitive goldeneye taking place

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
90% of my playtime in Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Episode II expansion) was going to the level editor and not actually making a level, just spawning thousands of clone troopers and droids next to each other on a huge flat field and having them all shoot each other to see which side won

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i played FFVIII on pc by running around Balamb Garden talking to ppl and not progressing the story at all cos i really liked the music and didn't understand RPGs at the time

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Spoderman posted:

my brother and i would race to choose siberian special forces who we called “gruesome gary” because he looked the coolest. we would then stick mines on glass, shoot the glass, and crack up at the mines floating in the air. i don’t recall much actual competitive goldeneye taking place

Lol I have said gruesome Gary out loud like 5 times now and I’m laughin

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

little munchkin posted:

in the original pokemon i made it through the dark caves without having access to flash because i never talked to the npc who gave you the hm. i thought trial and error was the way they expected you to do it

I did this too, but worse. I had heard about the NPC I was supposed to talk to but was just too lazy to try and find them

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Not so much a games I played wrong as a kid, but whenever I got stuck on a game I’d call the place I rented it from for help. They never had any idea what I was talking about and eventually told me to stop calling.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Not so much a games I played wrong as a kid, but whenever I got stuck on a game I’d call the place I rented it from for help. They never had any idea what I was talking about and eventually told me to stop calling.

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

herculon posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sorry kid I don’t know how to beat the Spikey Tiger. By the way can you tell your dad that Basic Instinct is 9 weeks overdue.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i played FFVIII on pc by running around Balamb Garden talking to ppl and not progressing the story at all cos i really liked the music and didn't understand RPGs at the time

Same with FFX. But I got super far without ever levelling up because I couldn’t really understand the sphere grid. Or due stupid stuff like think it would be badass for kimhinaro to be a black mage so he had horrendous stats halfway through the game but could cast fire for 10 damage which was so badass to me

RATS!
Dec 23, 2008

herculon posted:

lmao

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

herculon posted:

Hahahaha

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

herculon posted:

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sorry kid I don’t know how to beat the Spikey Tiger. By the way can you tell your dad that Basic Instinct is 9 weeks overdue.

Lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

At first I read that as "I'd call the police" which would be an awesome kid gamer story as well.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

herculon posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there was a pay-for Nintendo hotline and my mom let us call it once when we were lost in Breath of Fire

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The original flight unlimited had crash damage in which your plane broke into pieces, and a camera that would follow those pieces and switch between them when you crashed. My mission as a kid was to crash planes going as fast as possible and see how far I could get pieces to fly

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Jetfighter II on PC had a campaign mode, with missions where you had to do things like "fly by instruments to particular locations" and "dogfight enemy planes" and "take off from and land on carriers" and poo poo like that. I completely ignored it, as it was too difficult and/or obscure. I was eleven or twelve years old and had very little idea about how planes worked beyond the level of games like After Burner. So what I'd inevitably do most of the time was to taxi around some of the starting airstrips, launching my missiles at the buildings around the runway or, if I was feeling spicy, getting up in the air and flying the short distance across some water to shoot missiles at the skyscraper-sized buildings over there. It was only later that I put two and two together that, yes, the game's campaign was some early-90s AMERICA UNDER ATTACK nonsense and I was taking off from airports on the west coast of California, thus, I was actually doing bombing runs on San Francisco and LA. They didn't even really look like cities, they looked like collections of rectangles.

Around the same time, I got Mechwarrior. The first one. And it was great! I trucked around the Inner Sphere, hiring some pilots, taking missions to get more money to buy bigger robots and eventually just live like king poo poo merc with like three Battlemasters and a Marauder, able to steamroll whatever mission the game threw at me. The problem was that the game actually had an end, and I was never going to find it. The way the thing works is that there's a story that you get the first burst of in a text box the moment the game starts. you're then supposed to go to the bars and mech garages on the various planets and start asking for information in order to start tracking down the jerks who betrayed you. however, if you forget what planet you started on or what the first clue was if you got one, you get to spend the rest of the game on any one of the other hundred or so planets with no idea where to go next.

Along with Mechwarrior, I got The Crescent Hawks' Revenge, which was an early RTS game in the Battletech universe. It's also bastard-hard. I actually played it correctly for the most part, though I had to savescum relentlessly. that changed when I got to the prison break mission that's supposed to be the climax of the first half of the game, which is under a time limit. I spent the vast majority of that timer not noticing I was holding the map (printed in the manual) rotated 90 degrees from the correct orientation and was attacking the wrong corner of the city---and because of my need to save every time I got through a firefight and not wanting to do the whole mission again, I'd saved over the save slot that had any time left on the clock to try again. coming back to the game as an adult, I now find it borderline unplayable.

another one I didn't so much get wrong as it did me wrong was the Lord of the Rings on PC, where the fellowship's trip across middleearth takes a sidequest to go rescue half the party from dol guldur, but something went wrong and I could never get the boss fight to spawn, leaving me stuck there forever

or at least until I had to give the install discs and manual back to the kid I borrowed them from and could play no more (as most of the dialogue was printed in the manual and the screen would go "read paragraph 50" or whatever)

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
While I did also play it the 'right' way, one thing I loved doing in Doom (and even moreso Doom 2) was to warp to a level with tons of enemies, activate noclip and godmode cheats, then run around like a madman to get the enemies shooting each other. In Doom this causes them to start fighting, and I'd like to get the biggest brawl going that I could while I'd sit 'inside' a wall watching them all murder each other.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I have a lot of elementary-school memories of playing Cross Country USA for the Apple ][e as a sort of aimless trucking sim, where we'd just have our trucker tool around the map and eat at diners, and we'd make big decisions like "get a motel room, or sleep in the truck cab?" I think one of my friends discovered the intended core mechanic (that you would pick up and deliver specific commodities) by total accident. drat good times!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

herculon posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

herculon posted:

Lol