Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

For Remnan: Use the "cover" action on him. You'll get a scene later where he thanks you, continuing the event
Note that defending him after someone doubts him works too. I think this may be the intended way to discover it, given his dialog afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have a doubt on how the Bug works.

Day 1, Engineer and Bug claim. Engineer checks Bug, Bug dies that night. That's the only death. Engineer reports Bug was human (which I really think should give a different message, BTW). Do Gnosia attacks just outright fail if they target the Bug, or was it the Guardian Angel's power in action?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I have a doubt on how the Bug works.

Day 1, Engineer and Bug claim. Engineer checks Bug, Bug dies that night. That's the only death. Engineer reports Bug was human (which I really think should give a different message, BTW). Do Gnosia attacks just outright fail if they target the Bug, or was it the Guardian Angel's power in action?

No need to spoiler role names,, they're right in the manual.

Gnosia attacks fail if the target is a Bug or if the target was protected by a Guardian Angel. Until the end of the game, no one knows why the attack failed,, just that it did.

The Bug dies if they're investigated by the Engineer. If the Engineer investigates someone and the Gnosia attack that same someone, neither side will know for sure if they're the reason their target died until the end of the game. If the Engineer investigates the Bug but the Gnosia attack someone else, no one will know which of the two was the Bug until the end of the game except the roles in question.

If the Engineer investigates the Bug and the Gnosia attack someone elsewho is then protected by the Guardian Angel, the Gnosia know the Bug has been taken out of play, and that's it. No one else will know anything: the Engineer will probably suspect that their target was the Bug, but won't be able to be sure unless it's a small game and every role gets claimed or deduced.

In the absurd but still very possible chance that same person who was investigated by the Engineer and attacked by the Gnosia was also protected by the Guardian Angel, the only person who will know the truth of what happened is the Guardian Angel themself, who will be aware their target couldn't have possibly died to the Gnosia and so the Engineer's report is true (and thus outing to only the Guardian Angel any potential AC Follower/Gnosia who didn't report the same). There's no way to claim this trail of logic, sadly, but it wouldn't surprise me if an AI Guardian Angel in that position is capable of using that information.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

No need to spoiler role names,, they're right in the manual.
Who reads those? Clever people, that's who.

Thanks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

After learning Sha-Ming's backstory I wish those intelligent bonobos were on the ship instead of him. Took a while to unlock it too cause the moron wouldn't just follow my lead and vote off the crew I had primed everyone against.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Three times in a row I've had the "save Yukiko" thing, just for her to get murdered Night 1. Sometimes this game is exasperating.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Fat Samurai posted:

Three times in a row I've had the "save Yukiko" thing, just for her to get murdered Night 1. Sometimes this game is exasperating.

That's Yukiko's fault for dumping Stealth (in comparison to her other ridiculous stats).

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Fat Samurai posted:

When I was getting stuck in a rut with that, I kept refreshing the Event Viewer until it gave me Guardian Angel. Very helpful for those types of events.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The event finder would usually give me GA for those fortunately.

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006
So I'm not that far in I guess, around loop 25, and I just got the event where SQ is in the shower room. I just kind of chose "Don't peek" without thinking too hard about it because I didn't want to be creepy, but I guess that prevented the event from continuing... will it replay/will I be able to finish the game without it, or should I restart?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can't permanently miss anything

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

For those unaware, Mario64 started a Let's Play of the game, for all the folks curious to see how it plays via screenshots.

Already saw a scene I didn't get from Loop 3. Can't wait to see how many more I missed in my 150+ loop playthrough.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mama mia!

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

It’s a compliment and I refuse to fix my mistake.

:colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

It’s a compliment and I refuse to fix my mistake.

:colbert:

I'll allow it.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, :siren: SPOILERS :siren: here's the sprite rips that I grabbed for the LP.

No clue if the CG scenes or whatever have been ripped anywhere, but those are probably easier to find anyway since you can access them in-game by talking to Yuriko as a Bug.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

cheetah7071 posted:

There are a couple of alternate versions of scenes that are missable (the biggest unavoidable one being whether you watch a movie or go fishing with Setsu), but nothing that will lock you out of finishing

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Is there any way to guarantee a respec? I have messed up my build and have a few points wasted on Intuition that aren't helping any.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Play as a Bug and talk to Yuriko at night.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks!

mayday mayday
Nov 22, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Thank you!

I’m really enjoying how this game takes its own central premise—some people are human, some aren’t, figure it out—and blows it up to the point where it becomes kind of meaningless as a question. Like you start thinking "well, Otome clearly isn't HUMAN, but for the purposes of this exercise," and the list of exceptions starts to grow... From literal non-humans to people who don’t want to be human or don’t think of themselves as human to the Gnosia themselves, as far as I know atm… I feel like the way the goalposts move here is really engaging and works both thematically and mechanically. Or something.

(And like, much as it’s meaningless as a question, the process of answering it is still meaningful: so basically it’s all one big cosmic Say You’re Human round.)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Seeing some comments about Chipie in the LP thread, but don't wanna post this spoiler there:

I feel like Chipie's character design was the result of a drawing of a guy with a cat around his neck, but with poor understanding of anatomy. Like, "It looks like the cat is going through his neck... wait a minute, that gives me an idea!"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gnosia's got a listing on Steam. No release date yet.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm in the middle of a loop right now and something bizarre is happening. I'm solo Gnosia, with no AC Follower and no Bug. Day 1 guards are claimed by Gina and Raqio, which fine. They're confirmed Town that's cool. Don't kill either of them and on Day 2 Chipie decides to spend half the discussion Doubting Raqio. Naturally he ends up eating almost all the votes except for like one (not counting his) because for whatever reason Remnan decided to vote Shigemichi. Day 3 Kakrushka decides she now wants to start Doubting Raqio and gets all of the votes. Day 4 now and Remnan Doubted Raqio followed by Otome Doubting Raqio. I have no idea what is going on here. :psyduck:

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

Even with the threat of being murdered and erased from existence, some folks just don't want to spend their remaining time listening to Raqio explain how they are superior in intellect and humanity because they were on guard duty.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I really enjoyed this game. It is kind of funny though, it took me 133 loops to get the ending and figure out what I needed to do for the true ending, but it took another 67 loops to get Yuriko to teach me Block Argument. Even using a guide didn’t help. And of course, by then my stats were so high that it’s a useless ability now anyway :v:

Had fun getting everything and seeing everything I could with an enby character. Sometime I’ll restart with male and female saves to see the other cutscene variations.

I tend to have the hardest time playing as Guardian Angel or as any role where I ended up being declared human early, because those are always the times when the Gnosia target me on the first or second night. Even with stats all hovering around 40, it still happens. I get it when you’re Guard Duty or otherwise randomly cleared as human in some way, because you’re an easy target, but I don’t get it with Guardian Angel because I don’t play it any differently than just playing as Crew (other than the obvious thing of prioritizing keeping engineers or doctors protected and trying to figure out which ones are the real ones). High Stealth means I rarely ever get targeted as Crew. I’m not sure what changes with Guardian Angel unless the AI has a way to figure out who’s playing that role and prioritizes taking them out.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
7012 EXP for getting my fellow Gnosia Stella and Comet to survive all the way to the end of a 14-person game. Maybe that's quite doable at level 78, but :feelsgood:

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Mega64 posted:

Anyway, if anyone's interested, :siren: SPOILERS :siren: here's the sprite rips that I grabbed for the LP.

No clue if the CG scenes or whatever have been ripped anywhere, but those are probably easier to find anyway since you can access them in-game by talking to Yuriko as a Bug.

I forget, is Chipie's Gnosia sprite ever used in dialogue outside of the post-game role wrapup (which doesn't show very much of it)? It def seems familiar, at least...

Also, if this isn't a dumb question/too much to ask, if sprite rips are possible would it also be possible to make a text dump or the like? Could be interesting to be able to put together comparisons of each character's dialogue for specific scenarios, like for participating in small talk or for winning as each faction (and maybe answer the recently-brought-up question of whether Yuriko has dialogue for all three small talk topics or just the scary stories one :tinfoil:)

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
Got a Definite Enemy situation that I'm completely stumped on.

• 15 Crew, 4 Gnosia - Engineer, Doctor, Guardian Angel, and AC Follower present.
  • Gnosia are myself, SQ, Sha-Ming, and Stella.
  • Freezes: D1 Setsu, D2 Stella, D3 Comet
  • Night Kills: N1 Raqio, N2 Shigemichi, N3 Remnan
  • Doctor notes: claims D1 of Chipie and Comet, D1 Setsu - both report green. D2 Stella - Comet: red, Chipie: green. D3 Comet - Chipie: red.
  • Engineer: Kukrushka and myself claim on D3: I scan Stella g, Yuriko g, Chipie r. Kukrushka scans Otome g, Sha-Ming r, myself r.

The only target that makes sense to me is AC Chipie, but I don't see how it'd be provable. Both Docs report one gnosia frozen, so it's 6-3 currently for sure, no problem that the game hasn't ended yet. Engies outed on D3, so they could both be fake, but even with the knowledge that Kuk's the real one, it doesn't seem to implicate Chipie. Kuk's not a Definite Human, or taggable as one, so it shouldn't be myself or Sha-Ming that's the enemy; there's nothing pointing to SQ, so I'd be completely baffled if it were her. ...Iunno.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zyxyz posted:

I forget, is Chipie's Gnosia sprite ever used in dialogue outside of the post-game role wrapup (which doesn't show very much of it)? It def seems familiar, at least...

Also, if this isn't a dumb question/too much to ask, if sprite rips are possible would it also be possible to make a text dump or the like? Could be interesting to be able to put together comparisons of each character's dialogue for specific scenarios, like for participating in small talk or for winning as each faction (and maybe answer the recently-brought-up question of whether Yuriko has dialogue for all three small talk topics or just the scary stories one :tinfoil:)

It'll pop up if you get an ending with Gnosia Chipie. I swear I've had this happen a time or two.

As for text dumps, it depends. If I had to guess, it's probably doable. Just have to figure out how to rip assets in whatever engine Gnosia is on (a quick search doesn't tell me anything, but that info is probably out there) and hope the text is simple enough to dump from there. If the sprites were simple enough to rip, then I imagine the text is, too. Don't really want to invest the time to figure it out myself though, plus getting access to the files may be a pain until the Steam version comes out. I've only dabbled in this kind of stuff before, and my experience with ripping assets is "try random poo poo I find on Google until something works", so I can't really say for sure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zero K posted:

Got a Definite Enemy situation that I'm completely stumped on.

• 15 Crew, 4 Gnosia - Engineer, Doctor, Guardian Angel, and AC Follower present.
  • Gnosia are myself, SQ, Sha-Ming, and Stella.
  • Freezes: D1 Setsu, D2 Stella, D3 Comet
  • Night Kills: N1 Raqio, N2 Shigemichi, N3 Remnan
  • Doctor notes: claims D1 of Chipie and Comet, D1 Setsu - both report green. D2 Stella - Comet: red, Chipie: green. D3 Comet - Chipie: red.
  • Engineer: Kukrushka and myself claim on D3: I scan Stella g, Yuriko g, Chipie r. Kukrushka scans Otome g, Sha-Ming r, myself r.

The only target that makes sense to me is AC Chipie, but I don't see how it'd be provable. Both Docs report one gnosia frozen, so it's 6-3 currently for sure, no problem that the game hasn't ended yet. Engies outed on D3, so they could both be fake, but even with the knowledge that Kuk's the real one, it doesn't seem to implicate Chipie. Kuk's not a Definite Human, or taggable as one, so it shouldn't be myself or Sha-Ming that's the enemy; there's nothing pointing to SQ, so I'd be completely baffled if it were her. ...Iunno.

Spent some time mulling it over, and I think it's you that's the Definite Enemy.

Particularly, you reported that Stella was Human and Chipie was Gnosia. If Chipie is Gnosia, then Comet must be the true Doctor. But Comet said Stella was Gnosia, which contradicts your report. Kukrushka could still be AC Follower, so this doesn't exonerate her.

Basically, you got hosed by random chance due to claiming Engineer late.

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
Gina called it on me as the 5th action, seems this was the case! Bit surprised I was given the option, since it was myself.

I was getting a lot of heat before I claimed, so this was basically a last-ditch effort of "well, I know Chipie's bad, maybe I can report him as bad, then make it to 4-3 with a little less attention on myself." The automatic Stella report obviously messed that up, though, ah well.

e: "Say You're Human" got 3 people to catch me in a lie, so overconfidence in my performance was the real killer, I guess.

Zero K fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 31, 2021

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So, I'm just near the end of the game, but I seem to be a little bit stuck getting the last bit of crew info.

All I have left at this point is Remnan's last info piece which I need to be crew for. It's been several loops using the event finder since I saw loop 0 and I'm kinda just stuck. Any ideas?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

So, I'm just near the end of the game, but I seem to be a little bit stuck getting the last bit of crew info.

All I have left at this point is Remnan's last info piece which I need to be crew for. It's been several loops using the event finder since I saw loop 0 and I'm kinda just stuck. Any ideas?

There's an ability you probably don't use much.

Full answer: Defend Remnan and keep him alive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Slightly less full answer to just get you started: Use the "defend" action on Remnan. Ideally in the first day.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I think it might need to specifically be on the first day that you Cover him, that's what it took for it to work for me

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I got it from using Cover on him on D1 but even then he has to survive D1, N1 and D2 for you to get the note.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To be clear: Defend and Cover both work(I suspect it's the same action mechanically, just with different timing and flavor text). After that it's keeping him alive, yeah.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
I've been watching an old youtube LP of the game to live vicariously through seeing someone else's reactions, and huh, I didn't realize this nice bit of foreshadowing in one of Otome's scenes before:

Also just saw a loop where the LPer somehow got Definite Enemy'd as the real Engineer despite having stepped forward when asked, which I didn't know was possible (though it could just be an obscure glitch, idk)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Picked the game up after leaving it to the side for a long time, managed to finish off Reman and SQ, but now I have the issue where ALL I'm missing Setsu's 6th note, and looking up online this apparently involves an event that I don't think has ever triggered for me, 150 loops in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Rody One Half posted:

Picked the game up after leaving it to the side for a long time, managed to finish off Reman and SQ, but now I have the issue where ALL I'm missing Setsu's 6th note, and looking up online this apparently involves an event that I don't think has ever triggered for me, 150 loops in.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that's because it's the last note you can possibly get. Does using the event search in a loop setup do anything weird?