Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

1/23/22 Edit:

Zyxyz posted:

sorry for the thread necro again, but big news: Gnosia is finally available on Steam! :toot:

Gnosia initially released in Japan in mid-2019 for the Playstation Vita, but as of March 4, 2021 an English release exists for the Nintendo Switch. The MSRP is $25 US.

Gnosia is basically a single-player version of the social deduction game known as "Werewolf" or "Mafia". There's at least one "Gnosia" on board your ship, and their goal is to eliminate the humans until their numbers equal or outnumber them, while the humans' goal is to try to eliminate the Gnosia. The trick is finding out who the Gnosia are, or in the Gnosia's case avoid casting suspicion on oneself.

The core gameplay consists of the "Debate" phase, where you and the other crew members debate on who to send to cold sleep. This is the best way to take on the Gnosia, but you're also working with limited information, so it's basically you and everyone else accusing each other of being Gnosia until everyone votes on who to put in cold sleep. If you send all the Gnosia to cold sleep, humans win! Else, the night phase happens and the Gnosia choose to eliminate a character.

There are various roles in place to add interesting wrinkles to the gameplay. For instance, the Engineer can check the status of a character to determine if they're human or Gnosia, but revealing themselves means the Gnosia will take them out the next night...unless a Gnosia claims or counter-claims to be the Engineer, creating chaos and casting doubt on everything. In addition, as you play more and more your character can gain stats that helps keep suspicion off them and guide other characters toward your preferences. Each character has their own personality and play style, and playing enough to learn what makes them tick can be to your advantage in finding out whether they're human, Gnosia, or have some extra agenda.

The game proceeds in a series of loops, starting with some preset games to slowly teach you the mechanics, but eventually you'll be able to create your own criteria and make random games. The main goal is to uncover data about your fellow shipmates, which may require manipulating events in a way that goes against the usual Werewolf playstyle. The game is nice enough to have an option to set criteria to trigger these events more often, though it can still take some attempts to get them to trigger.

Overall it's a solid take on the Werewolf formula, and the presentation and the characters themselves stand out enough to make the experience all the more engaging. It's been a hit in the Switch thread, thus its own thread.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Spoiler Policy: Err on the side of caution. Try to spoil the early-game stuff for new players, as well as ways to reveal character data. The random games probably don't matter as much, but use your best judgment.

To do if I ever stop being lazy: Do brief character bios, stat write-ups, and descriptions of each role, though the game's text is already pretty solid on that last front.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'll throw some screenshots up later, unless someone has a gallery or knows of a good write-up or whatever. I'm still early on (17 loops so far), so I don't really have any good advice of my own yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, that’s Yuriko alright.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They only show up when the logic works out that at least one person must be human/Gnosia based on how the Engineer/Doctor reports shake out. There’s a few examples in the “How to Play” section.

For instance, I had a game where I was Engineer and Sha-Ming counter-claimed, with no AC Follower or Bug. By the final six, Sha-Ming had said two people still living were Gnosia. Since I would have had to be the third Gnosia, the game should’ve been over, but clearly wasn’t, which is why “Definite Enemy” popped up.

Dunno what happens if you choose the wrong person for Definite Human/Enemy though. I think it still lists everyone alive when choosing those, so you still have to logic things out yourself, but once those options pop up you know someone applies to that criteria, and that the Gnosia hosed up hard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shigemichi could be Guard Duty and still get voted off as suspected Gnosia because he’s just that bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I got to help Comet realize her dream. :unsmith:

After I had to railroad the debates to keep her around so the idiot humans wouldn't realize she's a Definite Enemy. Can't believe that worked, thanks for being so trusting, Chipie!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just got the loop where the slime mold attacks. Yikes.

I love all the weird character details and random plot events that keep popping up.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So from what I understand, there’s some romantic loop endings and other things you may get if you’re a male or female (I was a male and it felt like Gina and especially Stella were obsessed with the protagonist). Are there any unique scenarios or dialogue like that if your protag is non-binary? Any other significant dialogue differences or how some characters may treat you?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

This game is awesome but I've kind of fallen off of it, having hit a roadblock where I have nothing to do but grind out Reman and SQ's last data points, which just won't spawn even when I pick conditions that I know are favorable.

SQ’s last one is a pain, I got lucky getting that one my first attempt at it.

Remnan’s last one isn’t too bad, just unintuitive. Use “Cover” on him during a debate, and his last one should pop up if he doesn’t go to cold sleep.

If you’re missing more from them, make sure SQ, Remnan, and Raqio survive to Day 2, and you should get a night scene with the latter two. From there, you just need to get SQ chosen to cold sleep (in future loops, you shouldn’t even need Raqio, just wait for SQ to offer to collab with Remnan and for Remnan to be all “HELL. NO.”) It took me waaaaay longer than it should have to get the hint on that one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mama mia!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ChikoDemono posted:

It’s a compliment and I refuse to fix my mistake.

:colbert:

I'll allow it.

Anyway, if anyone's interested, :siren: SPOILERS :siren: here's the sprite rips that I grabbed for the LP.

No clue if the CG scenes or whatever have been ripped anywhere, but those are probably easier to find anyway since you can access them in-game by talking to Yuriko as a Bug.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gnosia's got a listing on Steam. No release date yet.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zyxyz posted:

I forget, is Chipie's Gnosia sprite ever used in dialogue outside of the post-game role wrapup (which doesn't show very much of it)? It def seems familiar, at least...

Also, if this isn't a dumb question/too much to ask, if sprite rips are possible would it also be possible to make a text dump or the like? Could be interesting to be able to put together comparisons of each character's dialogue for specific scenarios, like for participating in small talk or for winning as each faction (and maybe answer the recently-brought-up question of whether Yuriko has dialogue for all three small talk topics or just the scary stories one :tinfoil:)

It'll pop up if you get an ending with Gnosia Chipie. I swear I've had this happen a time or two.

As for text dumps, it depends. If I had to guess, it's probably doable. Just have to figure out how to rip assets in whatever engine Gnosia is on (a quick search doesn't tell me anything, but that info is probably out there) and hope the text is simple enough to dump from there. If the sprites were simple enough to rip, then I imagine the text is, too. Don't really want to invest the time to figure it out myself though, plus getting access to the files may be a pain until the Steam version comes out. I've only dabbled in this kind of stuff before, and my experience with ripping assets is "try random poo poo I find on Google until something works", so I can't really say for sure.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zero K posted:

Got a Definite Enemy situation that I'm completely stumped on.

• 15 Crew, 4 Gnosia - Engineer, Doctor, Guardian Angel, and AC Follower present.
  • Gnosia are myself, SQ, Sha-Ming, and Stella.
  • Freezes: D1 Setsu, D2 Stella, D3 Comet
  • Night Kills: N1 Raqio, N2 Shigemichi, N3 Remnan
  • Doctor notes: claims D1 of Chipie and Comet, D1 Setsu - both report green. D2 Stella - Comet: red, Chipie: green. D3 Comet - Chipie: red.
  • Engineer: Kukrushka and myself claim on D3: I scan Stella g, Yuriko g, Chipie r. Kukrushka scans Otome g, Sha-Ming r, myself r.

The only target that makes sense to me is AC Chipie, but I don't see how it'd be provable. Both Docs report one gnosia frozen, so it's 6-3 currently for sure, no problem that the game hasn't ended yet. Engies outed on D3, so they could both be fake, but even with the knowledge that Kuk's the real one, it doesn't seem to implicate Chipie. Kuk's not a Definite Human, or taggable as one, so it shouldn't be myself or Sha-Ming that's the enemy; there's nothing pointing to SQ, so I'd be completely baffled if it were her. ...Iunno.

Spent some time mulling it over, and I think it's you that's the Definite Enemy.

Particularly, you reported that Stella was Human and Chipie was Gnosia. If Chipie is Gnosia, then Comet must be the true Doctor. But Comet said Stella was Gnosia, which contradicts your report. Kukrushka could still be AC Follower, so this doesn't exonerate her.

Basically, you got hosed by random chance due to claiming Engineer late.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Setsu 6 is a rather lengthy chain of events. I went ahead and got the steps from this spreadsheet (spoilers) and spoilered each individual step.

quote:

Okay, so the process of getting Setsu 6 is a bit of a doozy, so I'm just going to break this down into multiple steps:
1) Help Raqio win as a Bug (see Yuriko 6), if you fail this, you can simply re-attempt the next time Raqio is a Bug and Yuriko is present
2) A couple loops later, survive a loop together with Setsu for a conversation
3) Event search will be disabled, but you can now set Gnosia to 0, do so, with Crew at 15
4) Yet another couple loops later, you will enter a loop where Setsu does not recognize you
5) Win this loop with Setsu alive

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, the game's biggest flaw is grinding out that last batch of loops for the handful of events you're still missing. It's worth it but it's pretty tedious until you get there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Awesome news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kukrushka is one of the worst characters to go against and also one of the best ones to have on your side because she's so infuriatingly loyal to whoever she likes. Of course, it means you can sometimes get some miracle plays off if she's on your side and you're Gnosis or whatever.