Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I can't remember, is this a game that will offer a free upgrade to PS5 version if you get the PS4 one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup and save transfer too which is sadly not as common as it should be

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I watched some videos, you start the demo with 10 Brain Points so check out upgrading on the Brain Map to see some advanced options and special unlocks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just did the girl route, and its worse. Her combat is better since her AoE finisher lasts a long time which helps mask the stiffness of how the combo system works buuuuuuut she has two enemies that are unfun to fight and require specific counter power use to defeat. I literally skipped killing the second set of the stealth enemies because beating them wasn't hard or interesting but required sitting through lengthy cooldowns.

As for brain points investment I did it in both routes, the boy and girl have different trees. Theres plenty of over lap but the order of the overlap is different so on the boy it was easy to get more mp and on the girl easier to get attack up.

The super mode has an unfortunate issue where either you can't control when you enter or exit it or I didn't figure out how to do that so it kept popping in fights where I'd already killed everyone but one foe and never available for tough battles. It also doesn't feel particularly super (you can upgrade it but in the demo the most useful thing you can reach is "self heal when it activates" for the boy)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Barudak posted:

I just did the girl route, and its worse. Her combat is better since her AoE finisher lasts a long time which helps mask the stiffness of how the combo system works buuuuuuut she has two enemies that are unfun to fight and require specific counter power use to defeat. I literally skipped killing the second set of the stealth enemies because beating them wasn't hard or interesting but required sitting through lengthy cooldowns.

As for brain points investment I did it in both routes, the boy and girl have different trees. Theres plenty of over lap but the order of the overlap is different so on the boy it was easy to get more mp and on the girl easier to get attack up.

The super mode has an unfortunate issue where either you can't control when you enter or exit it or I didn't figure out how to do that so it kept popping in fights where I'd already killed everyone but one foe and never available for tough battles. It also doesn't feel particularly super (you can upgrade it but in the demo the most useful thing you can reach is "self heal when it activates" for the boy)

Okay so from what I can tell, this is all demo-specific.

In the actual story, during those segments that aren't the tutorials where Yuito/Kasane are flying solo, the only SAS partner you'll have is Hanabi (fire girl for Yuito)/Shiden (electric dude for Kasane).

That means when going through the actual game, those enemies that bothered you (I assume you mean the invisible one that makes you use Tsugumi's Clairvoyance, the high-speed one that requires Arashi's Hypervelocity and the box guys that make you use Kagero's Invisibility) won't appear later, when you get the party members 'properly'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That makes it possibly worse since that would mean in the full game I need to take 3 out of 4 powers purely to hard counter enemies who Im not otherwise allowed to engage with.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean those powers aren't just for specific enemies, they have uses outside of them.

Kagero isn't just for enemies who hide in boxes. With enemies ignoring you, you can breathe, retreat, and heal if you're low on health. And from my description from an earlier video that had his bonuses at higher levels, you'll be able to keep attacking while invisible.

Tsugumi makes your last-minute dodges better, and apparently later on her SAS bonus gives you really powerful critical hits.

And Arashi isn't just for high-speed targets. Doing things faster is better all of the time! It makes dodging easier and it makes getting a handle on mobile enemies easier.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hypervelocity also works on the box enemies that hide and 'require' Invisibility

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So in Japanese, the character names are all written in katakana from what I can tell, even though some of them are actually legit Japanese names.

But the names themselves often contain puns as to character powers, or would if they were written in kanji. Or in a few cases, it's the non-Japanese half of the name that contains a pun.

Here's the list:
-Hanabi is usually written as meaning "Firework", fittingly, since her power is pyrokinesis.
-Luka, whose power is teleportation, has the surname "Travers". Which sounds like the word "traverse" aka "to travel".
-Gemma's surname is "Garrison", which is another name for a fort or military installation. Fittingly, his power is primarily defensive.
-Tsugumi's surname, "Nazar", is Arabic. It means "sight" or "surveillance", fitting for someone with clairvoyance powers.
-Shiden can mean a lot of things, but the 'den' can usually mean 'electricity' or 'lightning'.
-Arashi means "storm", and while it isn't super fitting, you can see the connection to her high speed.
-Kagero means "heat haze", "to shimmer", "ephemeral", etc. which fits with his illusion-based ability.
-Yuito's boss in the demo (and one of those fancy Septentrion high rankers) is Seto Kaminari, who has electrokinesis like Shiden. "Kaminari" means 'thunder', which shouldn't surprise any My Hero Academia fans here.
-Another Septentrion is Fubuki Spring (Arashi's older brother), who has cryokinesis powers. "Fubuki" means "blizzard".
-Nagi, Yuito's friend, has aerokinesis. "Nagi" is written with the characters for "air" and "stop".

The only ones I can't find any info on how their names connect to their powers are Kyoka and those two telepathy support characters. Feel free to show how those names connect to their powers if you find out.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Played through both routes the other day. I had to laugh because at the end of the boy's route both my wife and I were like, oh here's where the boss is going to get back up and the Captain is going to show up just in time to kill it in one strike to show why he's Cool and Rad and Deserves To Be The Captain as seen in every anime and video game ever.

And then we did the girl's route and got swerved.

Is there any kind of context that changes which L2 killing blow you get? I feel like 19/20 times I got the same one where you just lift the enemy in the air, but there are some different ones. Kasane has one in particular where she pins parts of the monster to the ground with her daggers pulls them apart that way, but I only saw it like once.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I know it's at least partially based on enemy types. I know Kasane also has one with the fast bugs where they have to escape and she struggles a bit keeping them in place, and the box hiders have one where she pulls them all the way out.

Also I have confirmed that it's not as bad as we think it is with regards to having to use certain SAS skills on specific enemies: The fast bugs also can be attacked if you go invisible, not requiring Hypervelocity outright.

And you only need to hit invisible enemies once in Clairvoyance in order for them to go fully visible (and naturally, Tsugumi can hit them by default if you have her in the party).

Also also:

The SAS gauges of the two in-party members who are active on the field drain slower and regenerate faster than the ones with them outside of the party.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
PS4 and PS5 demo drops tomorrow. It probably won't have anything new or different from the XBOX version, but I could be wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played the demo seems fine? Depends a lot on how much depth the combat gets eventually but it starts off pretty shallow and easy. Basically it is to character action games what God Eater is MonHun and Code Vein was to Dark Souls. But I happily played through those so.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've played through Kasane's demo. The combat seems like it might be fun, but her basic combo feels hard to hit things with, and I'm not sure how you were meant to fight those guys in boxes without taking the time to wait for the invisibility to recharge like twice per enemy (the super speed didn't seem as effective). I can see the constant cut ins getting annoying if you see them constantly, but I'm used to action RPGs doing that so hopefully it won't be a big deal.

This doesn't really seem to be a skill based sort of system, more like it has expectations on what skill you're using for each enemy. The boss was also based around waiting for it to jump close to the thing I could pull down on it. I can see this getting kind of samey if there's a limited set of skills. I'll try the other path and see how it turns out.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Here's what the demos unlock in the main game.

Dick Wolf
Apr 5, 2009
Played the demo, and I enjoyed it a lot. Very fluid combat, but the forced skill use with specific enemies kind of pulled you out of the fluid combat. Still I'm excited for it and will probably get it on PC when released.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Some rumors have been going around that this might be the next game in the God Eater expanded universe like Code Vein

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/scarlet_nexus/status/1399365783759769603

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I updated the OP with new characters just revealed or expanded upon. The theme was apparently "Family"-Kasane's adopted sister Naomi, Yuito's brother Kaito and father Joe, the Frazer twins, Luka's older brother Cullen... and then that Narukami guy and the lady who apparently Shiden worked under before Kasane.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 4, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt9Ci8EfCdY

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I went from being excited about the trailers, to disappointed in the demo, back to :krad:. I don't think it's going to be amazing or anything, but after more time in the demo seems it'll be real fun. The thing that turned it from feeling like maybe a zzz low budget mash buttons thing into cool for me was getting used to the psi partner activation mode things and treating them like DMC style switching. The girl setup in the demo was more fun - On those annoying box enemies on Hard I could deffo go Invis, do the invis beefed up charge attack, switch to Electric for the 3 hit combo, switch to Duplicate for the psychic throw, and boom the circle+triangle friend super move and/or the L2 finisher would pop and the box thing was smoked. I don't know how everything works with the (crush?) meters, or triggering the finishers, or triggering the friend jump in super move things, but there's definitely breathing room in the combat system to be pretty active and crank out damage.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The game is 21 days-3 weeks away!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/scarlet_nexus/status/1401901894105186304

In addition to SAS, those gauges also let you use ally summon attacks!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.exophase.com/game/scarlet-nexus-psn/trophies/

Trophies have been leaked.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/scarlet_nexus/status/1403411881017044994?s=21

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Oh yeah there was supposed to be a stream by another V-tuber, Mori Calliope today

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/scarlet_nexus/status/1404438972869361676?s=19

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyav4wrxEn4

Devs talking about things. World and character design, the split plot, character progression...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This game's literally less than a week away!

Oh and also the first episode of the anime dropped.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 19, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
drat OP, you're carrying this thread all by yourself lol

Also where is the anime at?

-------

I'm playing the demo right now. Game is visually super cool but I'm getting lost in the levels. I find the level design to be kind of middling and obscure. Not sure where to go next sometimes.

EDIT: oh I went to an optional side area, that's why I couldn't find where to go. Kinda wish the waypointing directing system was a bit more overt.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 20, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
They posted a version on Youtube, you can find it on Funimation as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuzMPSxX5mY&t=1261s

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Game looks fun to play, the plot looks like your typical anime esque: World has changed by X, X causes problems, the people protecting you from the problem are evil.

Anime was ok, hope the in game dialogue is a bit more fun.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I find it interesting they chose to do cutscenes in a comic style format instead of fully animating it all. The game has the visuals but I guess they didn't want to stuff their budget into animating everything.

I encountered some of the enemies that seemed to require a specific power to defeat. I do wonder how they intend to balance that from a fun perspective.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If it helps, if you have a party member active in the field, their SAS drains slower and regenerates faster. So, if you have Hanabi in the active party, Pyrokinesis lasts longer and recharges faster.

Don't forget you don't have to wait for it to manually deactivate! You can turn it off at any point! It might be beneficial to do so you can save it for later/not have to wait!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looking forward to the latest chapter in the God Eater series

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Revitalized posted:

I find it interesting they chose to do cutscenes in a comic style format instead of fully animating it all. The game has the visuals but I guess they didn't want to stuff their budget into animating everything.

I encountered some of the enemies that seemed to require a specific power to defeat. I do wonder how they intend to balance that from a fun perspective.

I mean a lot of code veins story was essentially stills too and I liked it. It was an unique way of telling those stories and saving on budget/time

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Sakurazuka posted:

Looking forward to the latest chapter in the God Eater series

They've said/confirmed this isn't in the universe of God Eater and Code Vein.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I mean a lot of code veins story was essentially stills too and I liked it. It was an unique way of telling those stories and saving on budget/time

Ah, I didn't play Code Vein so I was unaware.

It's not bad or anything, just thought Scarlet Nexus lends itself to some really cool animated visuals.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Junpei posted:

They've said/confirmed this isn't in the universe of God Eater and Code Vein.

Sure, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just from some first impressions, a lot of people seem to really like Kagero. What party members do you like so far?