Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just reached the end of the highway segment and I have no idea what is going on.

Edit: Slight addendum to my post. This is making even less sense then before.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Quote is not edit.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yep, that's when the plot gets straight-up bonkers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

just give it time

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I see what you mean and look forward to seeing where it all goes.

Spoilers for the mission after the highway. So I just reached the point people were talking about in bond conversations and yeah they are something. "Why yes we are in the middle of the civil war but has one of my old friends on the other side thought of a new hobby? I am also very conspicuously not talking about what my subordinate did to your dad."

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 9, 2021

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

I don't think SAS does much if at all, but active party members do get bond exp.

Using SAS DOES increase bond xp, but it's not by a lot. A better, equally as tedious, method is just to spam their favorite presents at them during the standby phase.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Hunt11 posted:

I see what you mean and look forward to seeing where it all goes.

Spoilers for the mission after the highway. So I just reached the point people were talking about in bond conversations and yeah they are something. "Why yes we are in the middle of the civil war but has one of my old friends on the other side thought of a new hobby? I am also very conspicuously not talking about what my subordinate did to your dad."

It's silly for sure, but I do like the idea of meeting on neutral ground to get lessons on how to pick up women from the adult on the enemy's side. If you put off the other teams' invites until the merge, the conversations do change a bit to reflect that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

It's silly for sure, but I do like the idea of meeting on neutral ground to get lessons on how to pick up women from the adult on the enemy's side. If you put off the other teams' invites until the merge, the conversations do change a bit to reflect that.

I am enjoying them for the most part though it does make me wonder what it is like for the other play through as it feels as though they would be a lot more awkward.

I am surprised that it was Shiden who first talked sense out of the entire group.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

I am surprised that it was Shiden who first talked sense out of the entire group.

Yeah, I was really happy when Shiden spoke up because it helped establish that he wasn't just a snide rear end in a top hat. I've only done Yuito's story but Shiden is probably my favorite of his bond episodes, he's a bro deep down.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hunt11 posted:

I am enjoying them for the most part though it does make me wonder what it is like for the other play through as it feels as though they would be a lot more awkward.

If you mean you're wondering about Kasane's route most of her bond events with the other side start from them sympathizing with her about Naomi, which makes them seem more or less natural even though they hadn't interacted much earlier and also Kasane is kind of aloof.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Everything I've heard makes it seem like Kasanes route is just the unquestionably stronger one compared to Yuito's. She's the more compelling character with a strong character arc and clear goal and she gets the better party. She finds out what's happening fairly early on unlike Yuito who seems pretty in the dark until Kasane clues him in from what I've gathered. The story with her as a protagonist also seems to just make more sense as said above. The only weakness is how long she resists just telling everyone whats going on, but that's just who she is I guess.

Another thing about the bond events is that she actively tries to recruit the people she meets to her side, so it makes sense she's meeting them and they each have good reasons to meet her. I thought it would be weird but it does make sense when you see it. Does Yuito ever ask anyone in his bond events why Kasane is trying to kill him?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

If you mean you're wondering about Kasane's route most of her bond events with the other side start from them sympathizing with her about Naomi, which makes them seem more or less natural even though they hadn't interacted much earlier and also Kasane is kind of aloof.

I guess that makes sense. It just feels weird coming from the Yuito side as all the conflicts seem to start with Kasane showing up to try and kill Yuito and I feel that would start to hamper the desire to reach out.

Nephthys posted:

Everything I've heard makes it seem like Kasanes route is just the unquestionably stronger one compared to Yuito's. She's the more compelling character with a strong character arc and clear goal and she gets the better party. She finds out what's happening fairly early on unlike Yuito who seems pretty in the dark until Kasane clues him in from what I've gathered. The story with her as a protagonist also seems to just make more sense as said above. The only weakness is how long she resists just telling everyone whats going on, but that's just who she is I guess.

Another thing about the bond events is that she actively tries to recruit the people she meets to her side, so it makes sense she's meeting them and they each have good reasons to meet her. I thought it would be weird but it does make sense when you see it. Does Yuito ever ask anyone in his bond events why Kasane is trying to kill him?

Thing is that really sucks as a character trait and it was getting really frustrating watching Yuito continue to yell at her to explain why she is trying to kill him and she just continues to ignore him. In terms of how people end up Yuito's side it is mostly that everything is going to hell and while they are not sure about what is going on they find it better to stick with him as it is clear that he is also completely shocked by all of this and is not hiding everything. Regarding the bond stuff he does ask Kagero about it but he stops trying when it is clear he is not going to say anything and he does try directly asking Kasane through the IM system and she just ignores him again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think he asks Kyoka in one of them but she just refuses to tell him.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can agree with these statements about how Kasane's route is stronger but I don't think that Yuito is bad. His route has some solid moments! Nagi's death is really touching and sad, and they're much better than the Kodama fights, and Kagero's moment where he confesses to the murder of Joe is a good moment.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Thing is that really sucks as a character trait and it was getting really frustrating watching Yuito continue to yell at her to explain why she is trying to kill him and she just continues to ignore him. In terms of how people end up Yuito's side it is mostly that everything is going to hell and while they are not sure about what is going on they find it better to stick with him as it is clear that he is also completely shocked by all of this and is not hiding everything. Regarding the bond stuff he does ask Kagero about it but he stops trying when it is clear he is not going to say anything and he does try directly asking Kasane through the IM system and she just ignores him again.

Haha yeah it's frustrating from the Kasane side as well. I was hoping they'd just let me kill him but when it was clear they wouldn't it was obviously just an excuse for drama a prevent the two stories from joining up too early.

I'll admit though, it was pretty funny to start a :airquote: "bond episode" :airquote: with Yuito only for Kasane to block him, say talking to him would just make it harder to kill him and end it in 10 seconds.

Arist posted:

I think he asks Kyoka in one of them but she just refuses to tell him.

Well that's dumb. No one except Kasane actually wants to fight, if they're meeting him in private theres no reason they wouldn't elaborate at least a little.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

Well that's dumb. No one except Kasane actually wants to fight, if they're meeting him in private theres no reason they wouldn't elaborate at least a little.

The dumbest one is Is the second meeting with Kyoka where it is after Kasane finally starts to talk but the meeting is still awkward because she is trying to act motherly just after very deliberately going for his throat.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I'll admit though, it was pretty funny to start a :airquote: "bond episode" :airquote: with Yuito only for Kasane to block him, say talking to him would just make it harder to kill him and end it in 10 seconds.

I liked that. Kasane is fully convinced that she needs to kill him and won't let herself get swayed by his Baki talk,, but her squad is just going out checking up on his dating life or giving him combat advice.

Mood whiplash aside it helps sell the message that they really don't want to be at each others' throats and Kasane won't hear it (I assume Naomi was being used as incentive?)

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

I liked that. Kasane is fully convinced that she needs to kill him and won't let herself get swayed by his Baki talk,, but her squad is just going out checking up on his dating life or giving him combat advice.

Mood whiplash aside it helps sell the message that they really don't want to be at each others' throats and Kasane won't hear it (I assume Naomi was being used as incentive?)

I'm not sure how much is revealed in Yuito's route but when she goes to the future Future Yuito tells her the only way to stop the Kunad Gate from consuming the world is to kill him in the past and that he spent 50 years selfishly looking for an alternative because he as too afraid of dying. He then lets himself die to trigger her time travel. She's hesitant about doing it but after his dad gets axed and Yuito shows up she's literally just like "Oh well I guess he's right here so I might as well do it to save the world."

She keeps doing it but yeah by the time of the meeting in the Seiran facility they start threatening Naomi to keep her from being too nice to Yuito since pretty much all her party except Arashi tell her not to go through with it so she starts reconsidering.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 9, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finally got to the next set of insane reveals and it is nice to see the different parties finally talking.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Finally got to the next set of insane reveals and it is nice to see the different parties finally talking.

I like how busy the hideout feels once everyone's together and you've given out a few gifts to everybody.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was very disappointed to learn that the overall story doesn't change between routes. also, there is no true ending or anything from doing both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like Yuito's route and his party but the main problem with his route is that you're just locked out of the loop in regards to the primary plot threads for WAY too long. Pretty much everything from Chapter 4 through the end of Chapter 7 reveals nothing about the overarching plot and conflict. You get some shocking reveals about Yuito himself and how corrupt the Seiran and Hamuka governments are, but none of it actually moves the plot forward and it feels like you're just spinning the wheels for almost a dozen hours. Hell you don't even really learn what the Kunade Gate is or why it's a problem until you get to Togetsu.

It's funny because I picked Yuito first specifically because of my memories of picking Milla instead of Jude in Tales of Xillia first and missing huge chunks of the plot, and figured since it was the same developers they'd once again make the male lead's story the "primary" one. But nope There's like a solid half of his route that makes zero sense without the context of Kasane's route. :suicide:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sydin posted:

I like Yuito's route and his party but the main problem with his route is that you're just locked out of the loop in regards to the primary plot threads for WAY too long. Pretty much everything from Chapter 4 through the end of Chapter 7 reveals nothing about the overarching plot and conflict. You get some shocking reveals about Yuito himself and how corrupt the Seiran and Hamuka governments are, but none of it actually moves the plot forward and it feels like you're just spinning the wheels for almost a dozen hours.

Given where the end-game of the plot goes, I would have much preferred if they followed up on those reveals instead. I'm a sucker for civil wars where both sides are out of their loving minds and then there's a third faction giggling from the shadows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was very disappointed to learn that the overall story doesn't change between routes. also, there is no true ending or anything from doing both.

Really the only difference, other than getting to see things on-screen that are only talked about in the other route, is that Nagi basically doesn't exist on Kasane's route and Kodama basically doesn't exist on Yuito's route.

Oh, and Yuito gets an extra dungeon that Kasane has no equivalent for.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 10, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Clarste posted:

Really the only difference, other than getting to see things on-screen that are only talked about in the other route, is that Nagi basically doesn't exist on Kasane's route and Kodama basically doesn't exist on Yuito's route.

Oh, and Yuito gets an extra dungeon that Kasane has no equivalent for.

I keep forgetting Kodama showed up for like, five lines of dialogue. What's the extra dungeon? I'm still working my way into Kasane's route.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I keep forgetting Kodama showed up for like, five lines of dialogue. What's the extra dungeon? I'm still working my way into Kasane's route.

The Old OSF Hospital, which has something of a haunted, horror aesthetic.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finished this tonight and had a pretty good time all around with it. Gameplay was a real banger and I enjoyed the hideout later in the game. My only big criticisms would be all the side quests were terribly unnecessary and I'd really have liked to be able to turn off the Tutorial Tips that played all the way up to the end of the game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

but what if i forgot how to teleport in the final dungeon?!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is some interesting timing between Kagero's second bond episode Tsugumi's mountain episode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So got to a scene between Yuito and Kagero when the two groups join up. That was some decent acting by Yuito but it feels like Kagero should have a better understanding of a man who responds to repeated attempts to kill him with a mixture of confusion and repeated pleas for answers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z614uaIhcu8

Yahtzee did a review of the game. He thinks it's meh.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am a big fan of Shiden's bond story and where it ends up going.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

I am a big fan of Shiden's bond story and where it ends up going.

If you're talking from Yuito's path, then yeah, that last episode was especially heartwarming to me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FireWorksWell posted:

If you're talking from Yuito's path, then yeah, that last episode was especially heartwarming to me.

Yes that was the one I was talking about. Also I have reached the end of the game and have come to despite who the final boss is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Yes that was the one I was talking about. Also I have reached the end of the game and have come to despite who the final boss is.

Yeah, I wish they hadn't gone down that road.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

On point to despise Karen Traviss

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kellanved posted:

On point to despise Karen Traviss

Been playing more Kasane and yeah. At this point I have no idea why anyone joined the rebellion because of him. Oh there are plenty of reasons to hate the main government faction but almost every scene just has him being this complete rear end in a top hat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i found the ending to be very funny. karen does whatever the gently caress he wants and betrays you again, but this time it works for some reason! what a noble man.

there were also quite a few dangling plot threads that were never explained at all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i found the ending to be very funny. karen does whatever the gently caress he wants and betrays you again, but this time it works for some reason! what a noble man.

there were also quite a few dangling plot threads that were never explained at all.

At least the fucker is dead. I know the game means it your way but I prefer the idea that this is just the party humoring Fubuki who grew a bit weird about the rear end in a top hat he basically sold his soul to protect who in turn didn't give a poo poo about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure this was the plot from the Butterfly Effect movie.

Protagonist goes back in time repeatedly to fix everything and ultimately with his last chance decides to delete himself from the timeline, everyone else lives happily ever after.