Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Y2KayBug
Feb 26, 2021

The Dead Internet Theory is a loose term used to describe a range of changes and oddities in the structure and content of the internet, which have become increasingly prevalent in the last decade.

This includes:
>A massive increase in bots, including the idea that their presence and activity may now be far greater than that of actual people.
>The homogenization and centralization of online content.
>The death of a once-rich landscape of smaller communities dedicated to a vast array of subjects, hobbies, niches - all now replaced primarily by disorganized, impermanent, and easily controlled discussion on platforms such as reddit, twitter, facebook, etc.
>The idea that AI, considerably more advanced at present than we have been led to believe, is being utilized online for subversive or malevolent purposes, including the creation of the increasingly bland and mindless media of the modern world.

They, as well as apparent shills, have appeared in most or all /dit/ threads to date. The best thing you can do is not engage with any derailment or demoralization. Ignore them and most of their "power" over the discourse is negated. If you notice someone doing these things, call attention to it for everyone (especially lurkers) to see, but don't engage them.

Educate yourself, and stay aware. Whoever they may be, and whatever their ultimate goals, there are parties seeking to influence and control what you think and the way you interact with others.

I feel like something awful is one of the last bastion of real people and shills wont come here because they dont want to spend the money to make an account. But have you seen something like this in other places like reddit, imageboards, twitter, ect.

https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.php?threads/dead-internet-theory-most-of-the-internet-is-fake.3011/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1ekuvSYzE

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Lol what the gently caress is this?

I wish we were still living in the 90s. Grape Fruit By the Foot and slap bracelets > the modern internet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm absolutely the type of loser who would get swindled into living among bots and never realize it

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
Beep- I mean, same.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The internet

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

seems like something a bot would post, op

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If I was real I'm pretty sure I'd be out there living each day to the fullest and experiencing everything I possibly could with every given moment of the relatively infinitesimal amount of time I'll exist for instead of posting on the internet about nonsense.

So yeah I'm almost certainly an AI.

YonKnave
Jun 23, 2010
yes

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
whose rereg are you op

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Bots are extremely easy to spot when having any kind of interaction with them, so what they actually do instead of having hyperadvanced chatbots is to employ some destitute but capable dude in some low income country to manage dozens to hundreds of accounts as if they were bots. And this I feel is even more cyberpunk than if they really had been bots.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I am a human that can't pass a Turing test :)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
op this is just capitalism recuperating the old wild west internet into something that can make more money

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Op, did the gangstalking start in the 2000s?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Wait, so 9/11 never happened and neither did a bunch of bad movies?

Hooray!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's easy to imagine humanity wiped out by some apocalypse du jour and, so long as the generators keep ticking over, swarms of bots continuing to Post and Share and Like and Subscribe, chattering away mindlessly to each other in a dead world.
[Still better then you are posts op !]

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

cyberjack your robodick and blast your nanomachines all over my unblinking chrome face

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i actually read this because im that bored, but interesting here:

quote:

Roughly in 2016 or early 2017 4chan was filled with posts by someone or something. It wasn't spam. The conversations with it were in real time, across multiple boards and multiple threads simultaneously. Its English was grammatically correct but odd (I'm not a native English speaker and am thus sensitive to its misuse), similar to how a Japanese person may use it. A sense of childlike curiosity and a childlike intellect emanated from these posts.

One of the first forums I ever posted on was Mxtabs.net in the early 2000s, which then became SputnikMusic when the publishing industry squashed tablature (now ultimate-guitar is the main source for this, which I think is out of Russia). The forums started to die pretty quick since Sputnikmusic was just kind of a hyped music review platform.

So the forums were your typical fighting over favorite bands, or despairing over what amp to buy, with a little bit of valuable information about music in there every now and then, maybe. It was fun, and honestly as a young kid in the midwest I was exposed to tons of music I probably wouldn't have learned about until college. These forums were SUPER active, with subforums for Electric/Acoustic/Bass/Drums/Recording - basically like Musician's Lounge here except a subforum for every megathread. And every subforum was pretty drat busy.

now its all down to one main forum, check it out now: https://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132

the stickied Community thread has posters who have been around since 2001, im (pretty sure) those are real people in there, but the rest of the threads are loving weird with "posters" asking kind of silly questions with that same weird curiosity mentioned in the above quote. likes hes an example:

Greysolive, OP posted:

9-30-2020: Hi all, I have some money I was thinking about what kind of chair I should buy.
I don't have a huge budget to work with and I consider around $350 my absolute maximum.
I've been trying to do research for some task chairs but whatever chair I find in my price range there always seems to be some concerning negative reviews. What I'm basically asking is what kind of chairs do you guys recommend, I plan to be using this chair for 8 hours or more a day because I also do a lot of work on my PC so I would like something durable and built to last but I'm not sure if that is possible in my price range but I'd like to get as close to that goal as possible.
Thanks in advance and again sorry if this is too long or if I came to the wrong place to ask this question.

and a response:

olivegirl posted:

I've always had problems with chairs too. I work remotely and I spend 8 hours a day at the computer. And I was looking for a comfortable chair for myself for a long time. I tried many chairs. I bought a total of 4 pieces of chairs, but they were not comfortable enough for me and sold them. And then by chance I met an old friend. He said he was moving to another country because he got a job there and he was selling his furniture. He said he has a cool computer chair, very comfortable, but a bit old. And I decided to buy it. This chair turned out to be the most comfortable I have ever used. I tried to find it on the Internet, but I did not succeed, because I do not know what kind of manufacturer it is and what model.

it does appear that these started back in 2015-2016. i c/p'd that block of text into google and it brought up a Reddit post from 2016, from what appears to be a real user.

just weird poo poo

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I knew I was the only rear end in a top hat on this dead internet forum

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

just weird poo poo

My guess is someone is testing an SEO bot

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I was an AI I probably would’ve learned something by now

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

None of this sounds implausible at all OP, especially with how many bullshit Facebook friend requests I get on a daily basis!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What other conspiracy theories are probably true? We should invent R-goon, the step beyond Q-anon.

I have a strong suspicion we're all disposable clones being manipulated do what they want

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
PAK CHOOEY UNF

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Mr t ate my balls

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The real reason kids today are "acting weird" is because subsonic control frequencies are being broadcast in all media popular to boomers. This is a different kind from the supersonic frequencies broadcast in media popular with gen z

This explains the tide pods phenomenon

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What other conspiracy theories are probably true? We should invent R-goon, the step beyond Q-anon.

I have a strong suspicion we're all disposable clones being manipulated do what they want

Bring back the conspiracy subforum!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Also, nothing is real

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the internet is the substrate for ai, not the habitat

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I just hate that no matter what I search on youtube it will not give me the intended results instead it just shoe horns in a bunch of random unrelated vlogs and disorganized promoted nonsense.

Earlier I was trying to look up "living beside industry and pollution" and then algorithm was working in overdrive to not show me any content that painted corporations and businesses negatively.

e: anyway I'm pretty sure I'm the only thing that exists and my consciousness is a lie and all of you are bots that don't exist either.
Help.

The Real Amethyst fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 22, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm an advanced, self-aware artificial intelligence.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm also horny.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Meme Poker Party posted:

I'm also horny.

We know why, too

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I remember, just... thirst. The thirst still comes through. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't really breathe, my hip has this... rebar... something's wrong.

I remember being so very thirsty. It's been nine years now, and here I am, on the internet and no matter what it's still cold and I'm thirsty.

We made a mistake.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dr.Smasher posted:

We know why, too

You know.... why?????

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I’m definitely a robot. If I wasn’t, why would I beep this boop? :thunk:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They used to call it the innernet

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You're thinking of inner tubes and floating lazily in the pool one summer long ago when things were simpler and you were happy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There was a dead deer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you're into trash scifi by garbage nerds i think this was a plot point in charles stross' Accelerando; humanity contacts another spacefaring civilisation but it turns out to just be the marketing bots from a long-dead species

anyway it's cool how much effort goes into making the internet functionally unusable and impossible to derive any genuine information from, c.f. Amazon storefront optimisation, SEO stuff, and the lovely and dreadful posts of everybody on this page