Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I never really considered that a pepperette was a Canadian thing, since slim jims are American and I figured they must have the artisanal equivalent there.
Strange to think that people would be amazed that you can walk into any small town gas station or convenience store or grocery and choose from a variety of locally made wrinkled up shelf stable meat sticks from a jar on the counter, just pull one out with your hands or maybe tongs if you're fancy (don't worry, germs cannot survive on a pepperette).
Perhaps I will get some and share with the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

I went to the market and took pictures of many of the different pepperettes available there.

Long regular and turkey pepperettes (mild and hot) from the deli!

Artisinal Stickini™ (pepperettes)!

Pepperette selection from one of the butchers!

Exotic meat pepperettes!

Home made pepperettes from the Ukrainian deli!

I bought a honey garlic Pepperette from the tiny sad looking Ukrainian lady. I don't know why she looks sad, I think I may have caught her mid-sneeze. In hindsight this may have not been a good decision but I did not notice this until I looked at the picture. It's fine. I'm sure it's fine.
The pepperette is a little dry tbh, but it's pretty tasty and snaps like a twig.

Finger Prince

https://i.imgur.com/jcxRkFa.gifv

Finger Prince

Ventral EggSac posted:

Every time I see this thread I get the Pepper Ann theme song stuck in my head now

For me it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4

Only pepperette instead of leatherette.

Finger Prince

take the moon posted:

i was afraid of that, dont eat meat tho sorry :(

i will gladly eat /drink some dumb :canada: thing most ppl dont have tho

Make a Caesar but from scratch. None of this Motts Clamato garbage, juice some tomatoes and add a healthy dollop of clam juice.

(I wonder if you could put clams in a juicer...)
Ok I guess you could use canned tomato juice if you're using bottled essence of clam.

Oh wait do clams count as meat for your diet?

Finger Prince

Bright Bart posted:

What is a reasonable way to try to get into mushrooms? I am not sure what flavour profile I have abhorred let alone what possible compounds common to the mushrooms I've eaten is the culprit. And for certain the texture doesn't help.

As a child I refused to eat them. As a teenager I'd get a single piece slipped into my soup or sandwich to try and prove it's psychological (and it partly might be) but I'd catch the wee bugger. Over the years I've learned to love what I couldn't stand in my younger years, like spinach. But mushrooms... The most that developed was I can stand a piece or two on a slice of pizza and even then not if there's so many their flavour becomes apparent. Are there mushrooms that don't taste similar to others?

The grilled Portobello burgers served in Montreal looked appetizing but I missed out on trying them because the beef at those places was always too tempting.

Shitakes.

Finger Prince

I bought some pepperettes today. Mennonite ones according to the label.

Finger Prince

They probably invented the word Pepperette up here for the sole purpose that it's the same in both languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Twenty Four posted:

Prepperette enthusiast club. Being a prepper but on a really low mini scale, hence the "ette". Say, keeping a few water bottles, a couple of cans of beans, and a handful of rice on hand at home at all times but being really into it and going to meetings and posting on message boards about it. Keeping a small pup tent set up and assembled on your tiny second story apartment balcony as emergency shelter at all times just in case!

Cured meat products that are shelf stable are an essential source of protein, salt and fat to have on hand in case the power is out for a day or something.