Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

any idea what causes your character to explode in rampage missions while youre between waves and simply swapping out installations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this game will not be complete until they add the Pizzaxe

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
I was going to write out a monster wish list but it got so long it felt silly. Just give us Yian Kit-Ku you cowards.

Also regarding the DB kunai hit: I had something click with it tonight and I was able to weave it in combos so it was regularly adding an extra 150+ damage every time it exploded. Definitely worth using but it punishes you hard if you’re too greedy about it.

Also I can’t believe it took them this long to make Khezu dual blades. They rule

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

Like, what purpose would Great Jagras serve if added in a few weeks?

From an endgame standpoint, nothing really. Adding in low-tier or mid-tier monsters would mostly just be there for long-time fans who miss those monster and haven't seen them in a while, but obviously they wouldn't really work for endgame (unless they were Apex I guess) so that's never happening.

I'm also probably the only person who wants Gypceros to make a comeback, if only because he was the first monster I bashed my head against in Monster Hunter Freedom and was really what taught me "how" to play monster hunter (it didn't help I was doing guild quests not knowing they differed from village ones)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's a small sample size for the moment (only 4 I think and that includes the upcoming DLC) but so far the Apex monsters have been clearly based at least in part on their Deviant versions from the Generations games.
Extrapolating from this and the current monster roster, and we could be seeing Apex versions of any and all of Lagombi, Nargacuga, Tigrex, Zinogre, and Diablos in the nearish future.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Finally got my anjanath gem drat never want to see that trex again.

Hey does anyone know if critical boost shows up on the charm/talismans? And if so I’m guessing it’s through the random option?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Also I can’t believe it took them this long to make Khezu dual blades. They rule

There are extremely strong Para/Thunder Khezu dual blades in GU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Social Animal posted:

Finally got my anjanath gem drat never want to see that trex again.

Hey does anyone know if critical boost shows up on the charm/talismans? And if so I’m guessing it’s through the random option?

Yes it does, can show up as a secondary on the targeted one too I think

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I’ve been using the IG from the start but now that I am soon at HR7 I’d like to branch out to HBG. I made the highest rarity ore HBG simply to try it out but feel very confused about how to best use it. My time to kill is dramatically higher than with the IG but I guess that’s mostly due to inexperience. So I am basically wondering what’s a good starter HR HBG? I also watched the ammo videos posted earlier but I feel I need something even more basic than that.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So what exactly is the proper use for shrapnel ammo? It looks like it has a very particular critical range and benefits from bigger monsters with more hitzones, but that's about all I can gather from an experimental run with it and seeing a random smattering of 3-6 damage numbers pop up per shot.

As for cooking monsters, I imagine the big bois aren't cooked much because if boar taint can ruin a couple hundred pounds of pig, I don't even want to be in the same building as a cut of something that sprays poison out of modified anal glands or fireproofs its insides with some kind of specialized excretion.

Honestly a good ammo guide would be really nice. I dabble in HBG and basically my feeling is use sticky/slicing ammo until it's gone and then shotgun the face. Piercing is a pain to get lined up and shrapnel seems to only hit once or twice from any range for a total of not much damage.

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Weaker/non-endgame monsters as part of an update feels like it'd be a bit odd - at least in contrast to how World sort of made every update, mostly harder/top-end stuff.

Like, what purpose would Great Jagras serve if added in a few weeks? There's already a fairly good progression through the early/mid game. I guess more monsters might still mean more armor/skill combinations. Lower-end monsters could provide good skills with the tradeoff of having lower max armor values?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more then just super tough elders and the such, if only to bulk out the roster so that when it drops on other platforms it feels a bit more like an Ultimate edition or w/e where the whole roster is expanded?

The thing is is they can decide to make Great Jagras really strong. In Mh monsters are not really always in the same difficulty bracket in every game.

In World, Tobi and Jyuratodus were low rank monsters you fight v early and are pretty easy. In Rise, they are both high rank only and not super easy at all! I know more than one person who had their first failed mission on the Jyuratodus high rank quest.

Barroth conversely was usually a mid/late game monster until World when they were a monster you fought very early on in LR and now in Rise they're a bit harder and introduced later.

Glavenus was originally a LR hunt in G/GU and a master rank hunt in iceborne, etc...

Paolumu or whoever could totally be added later and just be harder. I would love to see Apex Great Jaggi or something else tho that'd rule.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't really see the problem with adding a new low difficulty monster. Just add a quest in the lower ranks so new players can fight it as part of their progression. And maybe throw in a harder purple version for HR or something.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly a good ammo guide would be really nice. I dabble in HBG and basically my feeling is use sticky/slicing ammo until it's gone and then shotgun the face. Piercing is a pain to get lined up and shrapnel seems to only hit once or twice from any range for a total of not much damage.

I’ve never been a fan of bowguns before late game skill optimization. I haven’t bothered in rise yet but I assume in general the answer is “maybe try lbg instead”

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Spanish Matlock posted:

From my time running the rathian lbg as a shrapnel flak cannon, it seems like shrapnel ammo draws a cone in front of you and picks targets within that cone. It works best against lots of targets or big ones you can fit inside most of the cone, and being too close kneecaps it. It does more damage than you’d think once you get used to it, and it’s much easier to build a rathian gun than a narga one, but it doesn’t seem to scale well enough right now because there is no equivalent damage up skill for it like pierce up or spread up. The nice thing is it doesn’t waste hits piercing through resistant parts, so I’ve shot monsters from their rear legs and gotten nothing but crits on the head. It seems to bias towards giving you the best damage it can find, but the downside is you don’t pick the targets, so I had a devil of a time doing things like breaking barrioth’s claws and such.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
a bit off topic but man, Mizutsune's theme is the most Japanese Japan song to ever come from Japan

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think I've made peace with the fact that I'm a basic bitch and I like the basic bitch weapons. Horn, Hammer, and Dual Blades are all doing quite well for me. S&S too to a less extent but I'm still learning stuff with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mailer posted:

There are two things I'd bet money on: One is that additions will be Apex Rajang or whatever turbohardmode bullshit that possibly requires a group. The other is that when it releases on PC they'll still trickle additions out in the same way despite it all being known already. It's like putting an impossible hellgrind at the end of your otherwise good game - Capcom just can't stop.

The PC version of world eventually caught up right? Like if the console had to wait 3 months for hunts PC waited 2 months until they were at the same content.

As much as I'm loving this game atm I cannot see myself buying it again and starting over - with World I started straight on PC (it ran like shiiiit on base ps4)

Tabletops posted:

I got a wex 2 2* deco charm from the gacha what now

Make any Narcaguga weapon and get 100% crits

I just went for Bludgeoning hammer build for now because I think it's gonna be a while before I get the 100% crit build (which people seem to think is much better) but then people are like no actually you still want weakness expose on top of bludgeon

Is there any weapon in the game that doesn't want it? Like are there weapons that just hit whatever? I know Switchaxe never bounces in sword mode and just wants the easy to get Rapid Morph

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Apex monsters are currently exclusive to Rampages right? As a quick easy "event quest" addition I could see them throwing one into the Arena as just a straight up fight without the surrounding rampage stuff

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

As much as I'm loving this game atm I cannot see myself buying it again and starting over - with World I started straight on PC (it ran like shiiiit on base ps4)

Yeah I probably wouldn't want to bother going through it all again just to get to the endgame. Maybe if there was a serious graphical upgrade or some other reason to double dip.

Which is why I originally planned just to wait for the PC version but a year is a crazy delay. Hopefully for the next 'full' gen game they manage a simultaneous release.

stev fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 8, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Make any Narcaguga weapon and get 100% crits

I just went for Bludgeoning hammer build for now because I think it's gonna be a while before I get the 100% crit build (which people seem to think is much better) but then people are like no actually you still want weakness expose on top of bludgeon

Is there any weapon in the game that doesn't want it? Like are there weapons that just hit whatever? I know Switchaxe never bounces in sword mode and just wants the easy to get Rapid Morph

Even if you have the ability to never bounce, you still want to be hitting the weakest hitzone whenever possible, so weakness exploit is still usually the single best damage skill you can have.

One possible exception is a heavily SAED-focused charge blade. Impact phial explosions deal damage that ignores hitzones and can't crit, so only Artillery and base attack bonuses help them. Bludgeoner also helps if you have a green sharpness weapon - it didn't in World for whatever reason but they changed that in Rise. Even then, enough of your damage comes from direct weapon hits that weakness exploit is a contender.

I think there's also a flavor of gunlance that goes all in on shelling so crits are of zero benefit?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Barroth is my favorite monster and I want the jade one back thanks for reading.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Well gently caress, the game crashed while I was getting the last relic note in the Flooded Forest. I was literally walking up to it ready to press A and complete the expedition and then *blip*. Lost all of my progress and bumped me back to the single note I already had from my regular playthrough. I'm going to take that as a sign to call it for the night because I'm a bit livid right now.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think I've made peace with the fact that I'm a basic bitch and I like the basic bitch weapons. Horn, Hammer, and Dual Blades are all doing quite well for me. S&S too to a less extent but I'm still learning stuff with it.

I feel this. There is a time for playing super relatively complex weapons with multiple forms and flashing lights and multiple buff modifiers and optimised skills, etc and a time when you just put on your Slugger pants and do Slugging and then when the monster falls down, you Slug it.

I've been having a good time in multi as a paralyze SnS where my life is kind of like dual blades but one of my blades goes "bonk' occasionally. Disregard damage, disregard personal safety, just make contact with monster rear end as constantly as you can and as consistently as you can like some kind of berserk barnacle. I mean sure fine I'll throw a lifepowder if it will save us from losing a cart but it's only because I need people alive to follow up on my paralyzing.

Might pick up gunlance now that I've beaten the story for something slightly more involved but I really enjoy imagining I am the most annoying thing a monster ever sees before it gets dunked.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I haven't really messed with decos yet. Am I able to slot a bunch into gear, register the set, then do the exact same thing with a different set of decos on the same gear? Or would I have to constantly unslot/reslot if I wanted to change my decos on a specific loadout?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Magna Kaser posted:

Paolumu or whoever could totally be added later and just be harder. I would love to see Apex Great Jaggi or something else tho that'd rule.

Now I'm imagining an Apex Nightshade Paolumu whose "hi I'm an apex rawr" opening attack is just filling the entire arena with sleep gas and floating around a bit. :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Postman posted:

I haven't really messed with decos yet. Am I able to slot a bunch into gear, register the set, then do the exact same thing with a different set of decos on the same gear? Or would I have to constantly unslot/reslot if I wanted to change my decos on a specific loadout?

As far as I can tell equipment loadouts work exactly like you want them to. They even remember colors so feel free to color code.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Postman posted:

Correct. It’ll automatically swap out decos as needed even if they’re equipped on another armor piece so you never need more than the max of the skill.

Also, loadouts save your current switch skills as well.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
So is there any downside to water strike, the hammer’s third switch skill? It seems like a straight upgrade - side swipe was already a move I felt like you only ever used because you wanted the attacks after it. Water strike works just as well for that, it doesn’t seem any slower, but it also gives you a counter for roars and the like.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I didn't really use equipment loadouts all that much in World but I'm going crazy for them in Rise. I'm aiming to basically make a workable build for most of the weapons I want to try out, currently I have 3-4 dual blades builds, one hammer and a longsword, and aiming to get a switch axe at some point.

On that point, any pointers for what I should be aiming for in terms of skills for SwAxe, and which one makes a nice all-rounder weapon? Never really played it before but I really want to diversify the game to keep it interesting for me until updates come out.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Speaking of Switch skills, you think they'll add a 3rd option for each of them, or a 4th alt skill for every weapon when they release more? (Likely with an expansion though maybe the story patches will have some surprises)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

Speaking of Switch skills, you think they'll add a 3rd option for each of them, or a 4th alt skill for every weapon when they release more? (Likely with an expansion though maybe the story patches will have some surprises)

Maybe they'll give each weapon a 4th skill to inflict wounding like in Iceborne, wouldn't that be great?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

pixaal posted:

I assume that we'll see a new wirebug skill that can replace the one that can't be swapped out currently.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Does every game in the series lock total control over the armor colors behind "beat the entire game"? I was legitimately excited to see secondary color options pop up.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm unreasonably mad that a dango ticket only gives felyne bombardier a 90% chance to proc and I keep missing it!

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

The Postman posted:

Does every game in the series lock total control over the armor colors behind "beat the entire game"? I was legitimately excited to see secondary color options pop up.

World had it unlocked from the start I think. There were also a lot of layered armors that could be built in-game. Rise seems to have the layered armor option locked behind dlc which is a bummer.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://twitter.com/MHinfo_en/status/1380090436136488966

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Postman posted:

In the games that have had it, probably more common than not something that unlocks in HR. Also there's usually a rainbow pigment for doing every quest in the game, idk if that's in Rise yet

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Charm tables let's gooooooooooooo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Rainbow pigment was kinda easy to get in Gen which was a shame. 4U I really felt like I earned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

boz posted:

Maybe they'll give each weapon a 4th skill to inflict wounding like in Iceborne, wouldn't that be great?

It actually would be fantastic as wounding and clutch claw were good and cool