Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

prayer group posted:

Guy kills Valstrax in two and a half minutes. Absolutely nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5RDG1GNKKM

jfc that perfectly positioned tcs as it fell asleep to finish it off :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

jfc that perfectly positioned tcs as it fell asleep to finish it off :vince:

Yeah that was ART.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, so I think I've finally click with this game. Even if I'm not that hooked that I still have some serious beef with some of its... let's call them idiosyncrasies, for now the gameplay is overweighing those.

Since coming back I've gotten into HR and unlocked Elder's; been doing a lot of optional quests and quite a bit of farming, but it's started to wear on me since I realised I'm gonna have to do it all over again as soon as I hit MR.

I've been avoiding the Guardian gear, but I'm honestly considering just cruising on it until I hit Iceborne/MR then do MR gearing 'legit', as it were (well, maybe not the decorations, those may be getting modded in eventually). Will only upgrade it so it matches gear stats I could have at this point but not make the game a cakewalk so I end up with terrible habits.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah if you plan on doing Iceborne don't bother with any HR optional quests that don't complete a sidequest, you can always come back later in MR if you really feel like finishing up checkmarks.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Okay is there a trick to getting Buddy Tickets? I have my dojo training full and going and I am blowing through the great izuchi kill quest which I read should get me a ticket occasionally but it’s been 15 or more so far…

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is gonna sound kind of dumb but just making sure.

You are bringing buddies with you when you do the Great Izuchi quest, right? You have a Palico and/or Palamute with you?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I feel like it's got buddy tickets constantly. It's kamura tickets that seemed weirdly rare

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Deified Data posted:

I feel like it's got buddy tickets constantly. It's kamura tickets that seemed weirdly rare

The idiot in the buddy plaza gave me like 8 apples in a row when I needed 1 last ticket to make the dog gun. It seems totally random if you get an apple or ticket, and some people have better luck than others.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Hellioning posted:

This is gonna sound kind of dumb but just making sure.

You are bringing buddies with you when you do the Great Izuchi quest, right? You have a Palico and/or Palamute with you?

Two Palicos!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I took a palico and a palamute on every quest and the buddy trainer called me over about once every five quests to thank me for doing that and to give me something, either a ticket or an apple. I'm not sure why it's not popping for you.

(also yeah Fugen is the stingiest goddamn elder when it comes to Kamura tickets)

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Don’t forget, expeditions don’t count. You can cycle it fast by doing the 1* lantern quest in the village.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure suiciding to Rajang in arena will cycle everything around as well. It definitely spits out the next group of talismans.

It takes about a minute to do a full cycle, and it's kind of fun to see how quickly you can die (under 20s is rare, I think my best is in the 18.5 range).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I gotta try suicide by Rajang. I swapped a cat for a dog and got it on the next Great Izuchi quest

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I used to do “suicide” by rajang but I’d pick a weapon I’m terrible at and just try to learn it on the fly

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I fought Lagiacrus for the first time and he's sick as hell

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

dividertabs posted:

How is the plot in MH Stories? Is it as ignorable as the plot of the mainline games? If not, is it any good (unlike the mainline games)?

The first one definitely veers hard towards the kid/young adult line of 'friendship and love conquers all, revenge hurts everyone including you' and other such cliches. It's not terrible, but it is idealistic and heavy towards that kind of power of friendship stuff. Second one seems that it'll be going in the same direction.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1408251110574510083

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I fought Lagiacrus for the first time and he's sick as hell

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Stories 2 fixes a lot of problems I had with Stories, most notably the glacial pacing at the outset. Item collection while on the move from World/Rise is in too, and each of the weapons actually feel like different weapons now with their own mechanics / playstyles. Game is good, though the framerate feels a bit choppy, and I'm not one that usually notices / cares about these things. Hopefully it's just a thing with the demo and the full version will be better.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I want to talk a little bit about my experience in playing Monster Hunter World. I've been playing this game on and off for about a year now, and never really got that much into it. I've mained dual blades for along time, played around with sword and shield, and did some dabbling with the hammer and longsword. The farthest I had gotten before was the Rotten Vale.

Well, the past couple of weeks have been a flurry of activity for me in playing this game. I feel like I finally clicked with it and started to really enjoy going out on hunts, investigations, delivery requests and so forth. I got the quest to drive Zorah out to sea and thought to myself, "well, this must be it - this is the reason I'm here, so this feels like the end of the main story and everything else after is post game stuff".

Even through browsing this thread and looking up some details on hunts elsewhere, I had absolutely no idea there were high ranking missions. I didn't expect more powerful versions of the monsters (although in hindsight it's completely obvious so I'll chalk that up to my own stupidity for not realizing), and I certainly didn't expect an entirely new section of armors for the high ranking monsters.

I didn't know my personal quarters would be upgraded. I hadn't stepped foot in my room since I was introduced to it. I finally went back in because I wanted to try the hammer out, and suddenly it's upgraded, not once, but twice in a row. I didn't know Tailrider expeditions were a thing.

All of this blathering is to say that I think I've finally really seen what MH:W has to offer now that I'm in HR missions. And I haven't even finished researching the ??? Rathian stuff yet. I'm busy fishing in the Coral Highlands and exploring with tailriders in the Vale or doing the Zorah mission repeatedly, just so I can get 4 more goddamn zorah ridges to create that HR set of armor.

I tried out the Lance for the second time. The first time I tried it was ages ago, I thought it was clunky, slow, and difficult to control. When I picked it up the second time - it's like a light switch turned in my head and now it's my favorite weapon. Even with the guardian armor, those higher level monsters can really pack a wallop and being able to just throw my shield down to take a hit and then counter with a high thrust, chaining it into more hits and then another shield bash and so on... it feels like dancing.

Edit: And I still haven't even purchased Iceborne yet - I'm waiting until I wrap up stuff in the main game.

Lucas Archer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 25, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

In rise dancing turns into Spiderman dancing

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Geomancing posted:

The first one definitely veers hard towards the kid/young adult line of 'friendship and love conquers all, revenge hurts everyone including you' and other such cliches. It's not terrible, but it is idealistic and heavy towards that kind of power of friendship stuff. Second one seems that it'll be going in the same direction.

Yeah, the plot was kind of Pokemon-esque I'd say. Latter-day Pokemon where there's a world-ending threat. The first one was cute and inoffensive, the second one looks like it'll be the same but with better graphics.

Also the demo is real good, the baby monsters are cute as hell.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 26, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Junkie Disease posted:

In rise dancing turns into Spiderman dancing

Thread title imo

Wire bugs had better be standard additions from now on

EDIT: I just had a revelation similar to OP, but with Rise. I'd never gotten into high rank despite playing Generations and MH4GU, just could not get it. But something clicked and now I'm into HBG and lomgsword and starting to feel the dance. My timing sucks and I'm screwing up constantly but I'm doing things like practicing the small barrel bomb timed attack with long sword

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 26, 2021

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

In Monster Hunter Stories 2, why does Chief Gara only have three fingers on each hand while everybody else has four?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

pyrotek posted:

In Monster Hunter Stories 2, why does Chief Gara only have three fingers on each hand while everybody else has four?

Tigrex got hungie?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pyrotek posted:

Chief Gara owed Majima six apologies

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pyrotek posted:

He's Wyvernian, all Wyvernians have 3 fingers on their hands.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Tempura Wizard posted:

Game is good, though the framerate feels a bit choppy, and I'm not one that usually notices / cares about these things. Hopefully it's just a thing with the demo and the full version will be better.

I'm the same way, the framerate is definitely rough, but I kinda doubt it'll be different in the full version. It's not enough to ruin the game but it's disappointing for sure.

I've been having a great time with it. I got into a fight with some Aptonoths and at the end of the battle I got a message that said "The Aptonoth is returning to its den," a little after that I found an Aptonoth Den on the map and went in and got an egg. I'm guessing a monster returning to its den tells you what kind of den it is before you enter? I say that because all the other dens I saw just say "Monster den."

The Aptonoth I hatched also had a rainbow gene, I'm not sure what that means, the game said something about bingo but it hasn't explained any of that. all I can tell is "rainbow gene good."

Also is there any point to hopping off your monster? I know you have to do it to grab an egg in a monster den but other than that is there any reason why you'd want to walk instead of ride?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Lucas Archer posted:

I want to talk a little bit about my experience in playing Monster Hunter World. I've been playing this game on and off for about a year now, and never really got that much into it. I've mained dual blades for along time, played around with sword and shield, and did some dabbling with the hammer and longsword. The farthest I had gotten before was the Rotten Vale.

Well, the past couple of weeks have been a flurry of activity for me in playing this game. I feel like I finally clicked with it and started to really enjoy going out on hunts, investigations, delivery requests and so forth. I got the quest to drive Zorah out to sea and thought to myself, "well, this must be it - this is the reason I'm here, so this feels like the end of the main story and everything else after is post game stuff".

Even through browsing this thread and looking up some details on hunts elsewhere, I had absolutely no idea there were high ranking missions. I didn't expect more powerful versions of the monsters (although in hindsight it's completely obvious so I'll chalk that up to my own stupidity for not realizing), and I certainly didn't expect an entirely new section of armors for the high ranking monsters.

I didn't know my personal quarters would be upgraded. I hadn't stepped foot in my room since I was introduced to it. I finally went back in because I wanted to try the hammer out, and suddenly it's upgraded, not once, but twice in a row. I didn't know Tailrider expeditions were a thing.

All of this blathering is to say that I think I've finally really seen what MH:W has to offer now that I'm in HR missions. And I haven't even finished researching the ??? Rathian stuff yet. I'm busy fishing in the Coral Highlands and exploring with tailriders in the Vale or doing the Zorah mission repeatedly, just so I can get 4 more goddamn zorah ridges to create that HR set of armor.

I tried out the Lance for the second time. The first time I tried it was ages ago, I thought it was clunky, slow, and difficult to control. When I picked it up the second time - it's like a light switch turned in my head and now it's my favorite weapon. Even with the guardian armor, those higher level monsters can really pack a wallop and being able to just throw my shield down to take a hit and then counter with a high thrust, chaining it into more hits and then another shield bash and so on... it feels like dancing.

Edit: And I still haven't even purchased Iceborne yet - I'm waiting until I wrap up stuff in the main game.

i had something of a similar experience with world. tried it and binned it like two years ago after playing 10 hours or so, played rise for a hundred hours and loved it, played world now and hated the first 10 hours just as much but then it gradually becomes more and more fun as it throws crazier stuff at you and stops giving you walk and chats and cutscenes and bullshit zorah magdaros fights.

the combat is more fun than rise's, imo. i had to unlearn a lot of stuff to stop dying.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm the same way, the framerate is definitely rough, but I kinda doubt it'll be different in the full version. It's not enough to ruin the game but it's disappointing for sure.

The Aptonoth I hatched also had a rainbow gene, I'm not sure what that means, the game said something about bingo but it hasn't explained any of that. all I can tell is "rainbow gene good."

If it’s like the first one, there’s a persona-lite system that you’ll get later that lets you swap monster genes between them on a board that can colour match for bonuses.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
How's the PC playerbase for MH:W? Am I doomed to solo stuff until I hit the expansion content?

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the MH:W + Iceborne bundle or just go with the base game at first.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There are plenty of players in World still. I ran through from late LR/start of HR to the Iceborne end game a few weeks ago and had no problems finding players for MP.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also is there any point to hopping off your monster? I know you have to do it to grab an egg in a monster den but other than that is there any reason why you'd want to walk instead of ride?

Yeah when a monster retreats to its den, it'll show up as <Name> den. It also has a green icon on the map.

I mainly hopped off my monster to help pick up stuff in small areas, it's occasionally hard to aim properly to grab those mushrooms or whatever.

I finished the demo this morning; about the same length as the MHS1 demo. I really enjoyed it and am already looking forward to the 9th for the full release. One small quibble I have is that the gunlance is chunky to use when you aren't getting targeted consistently to build up ammo and kinship gauge, which is most of the demo due to your friend lady and her monstie tagging along to soak up being targeted. Probably won't be a huge deal, though; I'm sure that was frontloaded so new players wouldn't get beaten up too badly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Missionary Positron posted:

How's the PC playerbase for MH:W? Am I doomed to solo stuff until I hit the expansion content?

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the MH:W + Iceborne bundle or just go with the base game at first.

There's plenty of MP still doing on that said: there's a good amount of people that happily help in LR/HR hunts because going back to bully monsters in MR gear is fun. So if you're looking for equal leveled people to actually do the LR/HR hunts just know that there's a decent chance someone decked out in Fatalis endgame gear will drop by to annihilate the monster for you.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I finished the demo for Monster Hunter Stories last night. It is cute as heck and I can't handle it! Can't wait for the full game.

I love how much personality the monsters have. I think my surprise favorite was Pukei-Pukei. For its Kinship attack it spews a cloud of poisonous rain above you, then it looks up, realizes oh whoops that's kind of bad for my rider, isn't it? So it sticks out its tongue like an umbrella so you don't get hurt. :3: It was absolutely too cute and I love the game already.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s honestly worth it to go on YouTube and watch a compilation of the Kinship Attacks from the first game. They add a lot of character to the monsters.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ethiser posted:

It’s honestly worth it to go on YouTube and watch a compilation of the Kinship Attacks from the first game. They add a lot of character to the monsters.

Or play the first game. Because it is good and cute!

(I have played it and I love it.)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Geomancing posted:

One small quibble I have is that the gunlance is chunky to use when you aren't getting targeted consistently to build up ammo and kinship gauge, which is most of the demo due to your friend lady and her monstie tagging along to soak up being targeted.

Oof, the demo sounds short then, either that or she'll come back before I actually go to the next quest I'm supposed to do instead of running around exploring the island. While I appreciate that different monsters are weak to different weapons and you're meant to be switching, I do kind of wish you could main a weapon type. Just let me be a pure hammer user like in the main games! But yeah the combat is surprisingly more complicated than I thought. You have weakness/resistance to certain weapon types, elemental resists and weaknesses, and on top of that the rock/paper/scissors fight command.

I named my Kulu Ya-Ku Kiara because I mean, come on, it's a weird bird. It even kind of has her color scheme (okay the Kulu Ya-Ku is mostly white but it has the red and orange).

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Yeah she pops away and then comes back to join up with you a few times. When you get to the 'okay we can go to Guardian Ratha's forest to see what's up' that's the last dungeon/area of the demo, but you can still leave right up until you walk up the stairs in the ruins at the very end.

Wait, you can get a Pukei-pukei egg? I saw that they were wild in a couple of the very last areas, but I didn't try to get one to flee to a den.

I wish I knew what some of the symbology means; on armor sets it has 'Weakness:' then a symbol that varies. I can tell some of them are fire and water, but other ones are like a magnet/wrench thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oof, the demo sounds short then, either that or she'll come back before I actually go to the next quest I'm supposed to do instead of running around exploring the island. While I appreciate that different monsters are weak to different weapons and you're meant to be switching, I do kind of wish you could main a weapon type. Just let me be a pure hammer user like in the main games! But yeah the combat is surprisingly more complicated than I thought. You have weakness/resistance to certain weapon types, elemental resists and weaknesses, and on top of that the rock/paper/scissors fight command.

I named my Kulu Ya-Ku Kiara because I mean, come on, it's a weird bird. It even kind of has her color scheme (okay the Kulu Ya-Ku is mostly white but it has the red and orange).

I just mained Hunting Horn the whole time and I didn't feel like I was punished for it. If it's like the first game, your Monsties do way more damage than you do anyway so you can kind of do whatever.

Maybe I'll start getting punished for it later on in the full game. Maybe not! Does it tell you in the Monsterpedia what monsters are weak to what kind of damage? I should brush up on that.

Geomancing posted:

Yeah she pops away and then comes back to join up with you a few times. When you get to the 'okay we can go to Guardian Ratha's forest to see what's up' that's the last dungeon/area of the demo, but you can still leave right up until you walk up the stairs in the ruins at the very end.

Wait, you can get a Pukei-pukei egg? I saw that they were wild in a couple of the very last areas, but I didn't try to get one to flee to a den.

I wish I knew what some of the symbology means; on armor sets it has 'Weakness:' then a symbol that varies. I can tell some of them are fire and water, but other ones are like a magnet/wrench thing?

Yes, you can totally hatch Pukei-Pukei! If you look at the Monster Manual, any monster that you can hatch will have a little blue egg icon next to its name.