Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stev posted:

It just means invading monsters aren't a threat or a problem to be dealt with, they're just a guaranteed source of a shiny pinata.

At the very least it should be a lot harder to ride non target monsters than it is at the moment. Sometimes it's literally one hit.

non target monsters are intentionally easy to ride the game even tells you this in the popup that lets you know you can ride them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

stev posted:

At the very least it should be a lot harder to ride non target monsters than it is at the moment. Sometimes it's literally one hit.

This is a terrible idea. Riding monsters is cool and fun and I get to yell "Rathian, use tail whip!" in my head which will always make me smile. :colbert:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

pixaal posted:

non target monsters are intentionally easy to ride the game even tells you this in the popup that lets you know you can ride them.

Nothing infuriates me more than running to another monster and setting it up to ride, having the rando pub steal the ride out from under me and then immediately ditch it. It's the same sort of person who brainlessly captures every monster even if you tell them to go for the kill. They hate shinies. and extra treasures when all I want t do is make it rain monster parts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

I think they know that, they're saying that typically "invasion" monsters are supposed to be/have been something that complicates the hunt.

Deviljho or Bazel won't really present the same threat/problem if you just bonk them once, hop on, smash them into the target, and then you don't see them for the rest of the hunt.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

So should I not be melding or what

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I think they know that, they're saying that typically "invasion" monsters are supposed to be/have been something that complicates the hunt.

Deviljho or Bazel won't really present the same threat/problem if you just bonk them once, hop on, smash them into the target, and then you don't see them for the rest of the hunt.

I assume they have a plan for the monsters built around invading in the middle of a fight.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

I assume they have a plan for the monsters built around invading in the middle of a fight.
Yeah, I think "Unstable Environment" is not actually the invasion feature, and Rajang is not an invader.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

BlancoNino posted:

Don't feel like you need to do a full charge for every attack, you can do a lot of hit and run until you get a big opening. The wire bug dodge that sheaths your weapon and gives a buff is beyond useful. There is a tackle you can do to cancel a charge, press A while charging. And you can jump off the palamute while dashing by just pressing B and get to third level charge regularly. This counts for the wire bug jump as well.

I didn't like the starting switch skills for GS that much. The jump attack is meh and uses two bugs up.. The forward dash into charge has crazy hyper armor into a follow up Rage Slash which is my bread and butter.

The wire bug really makes the greatsword absurdly mobile.

Thanks for these tips! Wire bug dodge is really useful, didn't notice that. GS is real fun, gotta get those other switch skills

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Here's a long shot - anyone have a cheap spare MH:W Steam key they can sell me? My PS4 is intermittently failing so I can't play my disc version. Mods - if this is inappropriate to ask here, feel free to delete and probe or whatever.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What did they do to my beautiful charged shell gunlance boy?! They ruined him! I loved the millions of explosions that you would get from Iceborne.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Spanish Matlock posted:

Honestly a good ammo guide would be really nice. I dabble in HBG and basically my feeling is use sticky/slicing ammo until it's gone and then shotgun the face. Piercing is a pain to get lined up and shrapnel seems to only hit once or twice from any range for a total of not much damage.

I'm sure I'm doing it wrong though.

I was finally able to capture 6* mitzu solo with the HBG after several failed attempts and it's because I learned this when I was hunting volvi and basarios in the arena for my switch skill:

My bread and butter is slicing ammo and sticky bombs, only use the "stay in one spot and dakka dakka" move (wyvernheart, or in this case piercing thunder ammo I made special for this motherfucker) when they are downed/paralyzed/asleep.

I made the second kadachi gun for the fight, it's real nice.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

stev posted:

I'm sort of sick of riding mons already. It really fucks with the scale of the fights and makes everything feel a lot smaller.

Yeah I agree. It's also annoying that you can't avoid mounting really. Every fight has it at least once.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Counterpoint: mounting make big number, many number

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

So is there any downside to water strike, the hammer’s third switch skill? It seems like a straight upgrade - side swipe was already a move I felt like you only ever used because you wanted the attacks after it. Water strike works just as well for that, it doesn’t seem any slower, but it also gives you a counter for roars and the like.

There is a downside

You keep thinking "Haha, I can tank this, I have water strike" and then mistiming it and eating poo poo

But no it's 100% better than sideswipe, you still get to do big bang combos on downed enemies which are the most damaging thing you have if you can't get 2 wirebugs+full charge in time for your impact crater

Wrist Watch posted:

I fought mag for the first time

https://twitter.com/Cythrin/status/1379990388660834308

10/10, would hunt again

I fought him in HR for the first time today and I think mag more than any other monster punishes you for wiring away blindly. It feels like he has so many attacks that can catch you out when you think you're safe

(I wirebugged out of a big hit into one of his exploding cloud moves and immediately died)

Also I beat the "last boss" of HR and... I don't know what to do now. Do I just redo all the fights forever? Do I go back and try different weapons and builds? I don't want to go for the perfect builds or whatever I just wanna mess around and kill stuff. I think I'll make other weapons and clear out some of the other quests I didn't do like all the switch arts

Triarii posted:

Even if you have the ability to never bounce, you still want to be hitting the weakest hitzone whenever possible, so weakness exploit is still usually the single best damage skill you can have.

One possible exception is a heavily SAED-focused charge blade. Impact phial explosions deal damage that ignores hitzones and can't crit, so only Artillery and base attack bonuses help them. Bludgeoner also helps if you have a green sharpness weapon - it didn't in World for whatever reason but they changed that in Rise. Even then, enough of your damage comes from direct weapon hits that weakness exploit is a contender.

I think there's also a flavor of gunlance that goes all in on shelling so crits are of zero benefit?

Thanks!

And yes there is a gunlance build that is mainly charged shelling but you have to forego blast dash to use it

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Here's a long shot - anyone have a cheap spare MH:W Steam key they can sell me? My PS4 is intermittently failing so I can't play my disc version. Mods - if this is inappropriate to ask here, feel free to delete and probe or whatever.

Not sure if there are any sale on the base game alone, but Green Man Gaming has MH:W + Iceborne for $30.61 right now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I beat the "last boss" of HR and... I don't know what to do now. Do I just redo all the fights forever? Do I go back and try different weapons and builds? I don't want to go for the perfect builds or whatever I just wanna mess around and kill stuff. I think I'll make other weapons and clear out some of the other quests I didn't do like all the switch arts

I don't want to be cookie cutter but it's fun to go oh that weapon looks fun. Then build a set that goes really well with it along with all the decos and see how fast you can beat the poo poo out of things. Until you figure out where you want to go just go to the quest board and press random a bunch. Nice quick fights.

You can also go for arena times if that's your thing instead.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Thanks for these tips! Wire bug dodge is really useful, didn't notice that. GS is real fun, gotta get those other switch skills

It has been said before but a lot of being proficient with a GS is about getting a charge ready to hit where you think a monster will be, and there will be a lot of whiffs along the way. Barioth is one of my favorite fights because no matter where you are it will get close enough to eat poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wuggles posted:

Counterpoint: mounting make big number, many number

This

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

teppichporsche posted:

Yeah I agree. It's also annoying that you can't avoid mounting really. Every fight has it at least once.

If you don’t like it, can’t you just not push the button to mount and use it as an opportunity to get some big hits in while they are stunned? Or you can mount them and ram them into a wall a few times to end it.

I like it because it usually means an extra 4-5 material drops if you can find another monster to battle.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you hit a mountable monster you automatically mount it.

You can use it to like, sharpen or lay down bombs though I guess.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

If you don’t like it, can’t you just not push the button to mount and use it as an opportunity to get some big hits in while they are stunned? Or you can mount them and ram them into a wall a few times to end it.

I like it because it usually means an extra 4-5 material drops if you can find another monster to battle.

I'm pretty sure hitting the monster also makes you mount.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Slowpoke! posted:

You mount if you attack the monster as well while it's in the stun animation.

E:fb

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Triarii posted:

Even if you have the ability to never bounce, you still want to be hitting the weakest hitzone whenever possible, so weakness exploit is still usually the single best damage skill you can have.

One possible exception is a heavily SAED-focused charge blade. Impact phial explosions deal damage that ignores hitzones and can't crit, so only Artillery and base attack bonuses help them. Bludgeoner also helps if you have a green sharpness weapon - it didn't in World for whatever reason but they changed that in Rise. Even then, enough of your damage comes from direct weapon hits that weakness exploit is a contender.

I think there's also a flavor of gunlance that goes all in on shelling so crits are of zero benefit?

For CB, the Rajang one has like 230 raw and green sharpness, so if you fit some bludgeoner (and maybe a level of minds eye to negate bounces) it seems like you'll be able to do work with it.

I finally finished my CB armor set yesterday and I'm getting stubborn - I will sit down and learn CB damnit. I think it's more of a matter of working each individual step of the CB process into muscle memory so I'm not reaching for which move charges the shield or the sword or whatnot at any given moment.

Is there a faster way to charge the sword than Condensed Energy slash? Right now my big grief is how long that takes.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Saint Freak posted:

If you hit a mountable monster you automatically mount it.

You can use it to like, sharpen or lay down bombs though I guess.

While valid I dunno why you'd turn down, at minimum the few hundred free damage that three (or four if you have three bugs) wallbangs does.

Unless you mean as the people not driving the monster, that's valid. Putting bombs in the launch path is something I haven't tried yet but I really should.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't want to go for the perfect builds or whatever I just wanna mess around and kill stuff.

You can do both of these at the same time. Personally, I'm farming for decos and melds and trying out new weapons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Going for "perfect" builds feels like a good excuse to mess around IMO. I'll probably never be using this stuff optimally, but it works well as a goal.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

For CB, the Rajang one has like 230 raw and green sharpness, so if you fit some bludgeoner (and maybe a level of minds eye to negate bounces) it seems like you'll be able to do work with it.

I finally finished my CB armor set yesterday and I'm getting stubborn - I will sit down and learn CB damnit. I think it's more of a matter of working each individual step of the CB process into muscle memory so I'm not reaching for which move charges the shield or the sword or whatnot at any given moment.

Is there a faster way to charge the sword than Condensed Energy slash? Right now my big grief is how long that takes.

If you are not using axe hopper, counter silkbind is your friend. Just press x after the counter and you have red sword.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I spent almost the entirety of low rank using Switch Axe and it's a fun and cool weapon but somewhere along the line I tried the bow and I'm 100% converted. I've made my way almost to rank 7 in high rank using the bow.

Like many other things in Monster Hunter, using the bow was really unintuitive at first because "charge shot" is a complete misnomer. Sure, you "can" charge your shot, but as far as I can tell there is literally no good reason to ever do this, because firing shots one after another increases your charge level each time, and/or using the bow dash boosts your charge. One of the biggest a-ha moments for me with the bow came when I figured this out, gave up entirely on holding down the fire button, and just started shooting arrows as rapidly as I could. Big increase in DPS.

Next big breakthrough moment came when I built the rank 4 Khezu bow, it's called Exploded Core or something and looks very ghastly, which only uses Spread shots (and has Thunder elemental atk). Spread shot was a big damage increase, it wasn't uncommon for me to regularly do 18-22 x5 damage with tier 2 and 3 shots.

I used that Khezu bow for several Hub ranks. Now I'm at Hub 6 and I created the rarity 6 Zinogre bow (the one that looks like angel wings). It has substantially higher base attack, but no element damage, and it uses Pierce and Rapid shots. I've noticed that this angel bow has a substantially longer range than the Khezu spread bow, and in fact, requires me to stick further out than before to maintain high damage. I still kind of feel like the Khezu bow is stronger overall — which makes little sense bcause it's 2 ranks below the angel bow — but the combination of spread shot and elemental damage seems really powerful.

So, what are other good bow tips? How can I get better? I've gotten very good at dashing around to evade damage and generally better at hitting weak spots. What are the best bows I should be aiming for? What's up with the switch skills? I switched from "Power Shot" to "Absolute Power Shot" and literally can't tell a difference at all (more classic Monster Hunter BS), and I haven't figured out how to use the aerial jumping shot skill yet. I mostly just dash around when needed and then use the Focus SHot skill to regain stamina when I'm out.

For armor skills I'm focused on Constitution right now with the Pukei set but maybe there are better choices.

Talk bow to me please thanks

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Oldstench posted:

There's usually a thread in SA Mart in which the OP has a mountain of Steam Bucks and charges folks a discounted amount for a key.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I made the healhorn and I gotta say it's pretty nice feeling like a benevolent god to your team

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Leave it to the team that gave us 15 levels of deviant urgent quests to get rid of trading in tickets for plates/gems/mantles :negative:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

They should bring 15 levels of deviant urgents back. But also the veggie elder

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Devlan Mud posted:

Leave it to the team that gave us 15 levels of deviant urgent quests to get rid of trading in tickets for plates/gems/mantles :negative:

I'm actually starting to appreciate the gem farm because it makes me get really good at fighting the monster.

Except Almudron, there is no way to get good at fighting him, he's just a pile of massive hitboxes and unreadable animations and he can gently caress off forever

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Any greatsword players out there that could give the rundown on cheating your way to True Charged Slash? I know Tackle can ship steps but I haven't figured out the optimal way to do it yet.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Roll -> Tackle -> Strong Charge without releasing -> Tackle -> TCS/Rage Slash

Wirebug/Hunting Edge/Jump off Dog -> Jumping Charge Slash -> Strong Wide Slash (A) -> TCS/Rage Slash

Adamant Charge Slash -> Strong Charge without releasing -> Tackle -> TCS/Rage Slash

Skip the tackles and actually release your strong charges when time allows, and when you have even more time do Strong Wide Slash after your full Strong Charge.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1380222717555802124?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That's what the little intro cutscenes are for. They're all such pricks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So should I not be melding or what

You can meld. Just don’t use the method mentioned in the tweet.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

minya posted:

Talk bow to me please thanks

Vertical slash + dodgebolt six times in circles around the monster is hilarious. It feels like you're using the weapon wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Narg's scene is my favorite

"Look at this smug rear end in a top hat"