Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i joined a quest for the first time and i think it was fun. i'm not really sure. whatever it was, it was quite chaotic and someone had a hunting horn i guess cause there were lots of music notes in the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah at one point the aknosom was trying to fly away and i knocked it back down with the dragon punch into shield drop. that was rad. it just felt like that monster had absolutely nothing coming

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

When I needed Aquaglow jewels, it was taking me like 5 fights to get 2. Now that I don't I'm getting 2 or 3 on some hunts. If anyone else needs them, I'm having luck on Pukei-Pukei, Bishaten, and Jyura quests.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

e: Been starting to run into afkers in rampages. Seems real lame. I dont know if one had a bad connection or something, but they'd literally place themselves in harms way and be idle, or at least have the idle icon (the closed/no entry icon)...and they did it like, multiple times. At first I assumed it was an emergency AFK, but after they fainted I found them right back in the rampage, getting slapped around again while doing nothing. Ended up ending by sub-assignment because like hell I'm going to farm out a rampage for someone not only AFK but like, fainting on purpose?

I’ve noticed this more and more too, with Japanese players.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You gotta hajimemashite dōzo yoroshiku first.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

If you're playing during NA east-coast peak times, then some poor salaryman is probably moving his character into position between ironing portions of his shirt. He's just trying not to burn a hole in his collar while getting in a morning hunt, have some respect!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Holy moly, that was fast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWtfMrJ4Z_Y

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

same, oddly enough

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If you're playing during NA east-coast peak times, then some poor salaryman is probably moving his character into position between ironing portions of his shirt. He's just trying not to burn a hole in his collar while getting in a morning hunt, have some respect!

I’ve seen guys at arcades in Japan running two or three token gambling games at the same time and I just assumed it was the console version of that.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

i joined a quest for the first time and i think it was fun. i'm not really sure. whatever it was, it was quite chaotic and someone had a hunting horn i guess cause there were lots of music notes in the air

Online MH is almost like a different game where you just wail on a monster as much as possible. I have a few builds just for online hunts, and not just like "this build has one level of Flinch Free"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Batterypowered7 posted:

Teostra raining gems on me but Bazel being real stingy.

He's grouchy, let him cart you once or help him bomb a Tigrex or something.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Holy god dammit you need Magna Orbs to craft Handicraft Gems, I never even realized that until I went to craft one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Japanese players I've noticed doing this had a tiny bit of courtesy to at least set up at an installation and point it around an area that monsters are likely to stop by and I assume just tape down the button or something.

It still sucks and it doesn't help when the Apex shows up, but it's something I guess.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

The Japanese players I've noticed doing this had a tiny bit of courtesy to at least set up at an installation and point it around an area that monsters are likely to stop by and I assume just tape down the button or something.

It still sucks and it doesn't help when the Apex shows up, but it's something I guess.

The Japanese are so honorable when they are being huge pieces of poo poo.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

monhun for busy people

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I prefer echo mode to perform mode on the hunting horn. With perform, there's this sort of pressure to play two of the same note in a row, whether or not that's the ideal attack to be using given my positioning. Not to mention I don't have to worry about the meta strategy of spamming ZR (perform) and forward+A (crush), which means I don't need a horn with a spammable A song.

It's really opened me up to trying out some of the non-meta horns. I'm liking Diablos at the moment, which is very defense-oriented with defense up, stamina use down, and earplugs L.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I only just broke into High Rank hunts, and it feels like the pacing just slammed into a wall. So far the thing I really liked about Rise as opposed to World was that the hunts felt snappy and to the point, but now I'm back to just wailing away for nearly half an hour at a time just to kill some Tetranadon since it seems to have ludicrous amounts of HP. Is there some way to boost damage that I've missed (I haven't yet messed about with talismans or decorations much), or do I just have to grind on through the hard way until I can finally craft some rarity 4+ weapons?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Perestroika posted:

So I only just broke into High Rank hunts, and it feels like the pacing just slammed into a wall. So far the thing I really liked about Rise as opposed to World was that the hunts felt snappy and to the point, but now I'm back to just wailing away for nearly half an hour at a time just to kill some Tetranadon since it seems to have ludicrous amounts of HP. Is there some way to boost damage that I've missed (I haven't yet messed about with talismans or decorations much), or do I just have to grind on through the hard way until I can finally craft some rarity 4+ weapons?

Most weapons in the Magnamalo tree are a really good weapon to craft before you jump into High rank. Get out of your low rank armor as soon as possible, even if the abilities are worse. If a hunt in early HR is taking you more than 15 minutes you are probably undergeared.

You don't need to worry about decos yet but definitely keep up with weapon crafting, even a really early HR weapon from something like Izuchi will be stronger and manageable.

HR is the point where you don't get new stuff after a single fight though; if you want a new weapon you're gonna have to fight a monster several times to get all the pieces.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

404notfound posted:

I think I prefer echo mode to perform mode on the hunting horn. With perform, there's this sort of pressure to play two of the same note in a row, whether or not that's the ideal attack to be using given my positioning. Not to mention I don't have to worry about the meta strategy of spamming ZR (perform) and forward+A (crush), which means I don't need a horn with a spammable A song.

Magnificent Trio tops off all 3 songs I barely bother with double note spam anymore. I spam the ZR A combo then when I need to top off or I’m close to filling Infernal Melody I throw a single X+A, X and immediately Trio, following with Infernal if I didn’t gently caress up my positioning.

X+A, A, X, Zr+X is also pretty quick and seamless way to just spam Trio.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Perestroika posted:

Just join pub games and get carried until you get the gear you need. If you just stay alive usually a hunt will take about 10-15 min depending on how many LBG users are in.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Well not sure what weapon you are using, but just try and make sure yours is upgraded to the highest raw attack option.

As for skills, weakness exploit is generally your highest damage buff. Third level is 50% affinity when hitting weakspots. Focusing on weakspots goes a long way as well. Open your hunting notes and look for 45 or greater weakzones and try to hit those. For example, tetranadon's head is sometimes annoying to hit but its hind legs have a 50 hit zone for cutting weapons. The skalda/spio waist is very good for early HR as it gives 2 levels in weakness exploit. Otherwise, just getting the attack up skill as high as you can will help. Ingot greaves are great when you can make them, 2 attack and 2 crit eye.

Chug a demondrug at the start of a quest, increases your raw by 5 until you cart. Eat a might seed and use some demon powder before engaging a monster and try to reapply when they change areas. Both increase your raw by 10 for three minutes. All of these stack. Send your buddies to produce might seeds, honey, bitterbugs, and godbugs en masse to make these.

Eat for the booster dango skill. I believe its +9 raw for the first 10 minutes of the quest.

Bring a palico with the powerdrum skill. Preferably a gathering cat as they get free sleeps/paras with the their endemic life cannon skill. Fighting cats are good too for the rousing roar.

All this stuff adds up to a decent chunk of attack.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 10, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you're going to hit a new rank you're going to have to upgrade your gear, this is true every single time no matter what. especially when the village quests literally have like half the health of a normal monster in the hub and are way below the baseline.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Started playing again after the big update! Really enjoying the new Bazelgeuse hunting horn, atk up, earplug, and health recovery for fellow hunters

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Chug a demondrug at the start of a quest, increases your raw by 5 until you cart.

Drugs don’t expire on carting on quests any more. They do on expeditions, though.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Drugs don’t expire on carting on quests any more. They do on expeditions, though.

What buffing consumables last the entire hunt? Embarrassed to say that i'm HR 60ish and I don't know much about consumable buffs.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I did notice food buffs are persistent for the entire hunt, even if you cart.

Seems like everything without a set duration will last the whole hunt now. Small list (food, drugs) but still a nice change.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Nosthula posted:

What buffing consumables last the entire hunt? Embarrassed to say that i'm HR 60ish and I don't know much about consumable buffs.

Demon/Armor drugs last the entire hunt (did not know they last after carting now useful to know ty). As do dango buffs (unless they wear off like Booster).

Might seeds, adamant seeds, hardshell podwer, armor powder all last 3 minutes and stack with each other.

Butterflames (the attack up endemic life butterflies) give you +25 attack for one minute. Does not stack with seeds. These are pretty much might pills (which are not in Rise), tho they last longer.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are pills in rise? I never used them in world and haven't thought to check in rise for their existence.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Holy god dammit you need Magna Orbs to craft Handicraft Gems, I never even realized that until I went to craft one.

I finally got a dang gem last night. I got, no joke, 13 Plates in the course of my quest.

Now I don't even know what to do with it. I could make a Handicraft deco or make one of the Marshmallow weapons.

Either way I could throw a party for the entirety of Kamura Village and serve food on Commemorative Magnamalo Plates.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Demon/Armor drugs last the entire hunt (did not know they last after carting now useful to know ty). As do dango buffs (unless they wear off like Booster).

Might seeds, adamant seeds, hardshell podwer, armor powder all last 3 minutes and stack with each other.

Butterflames (the attack up endemic life butterflies) give you +25 attack for one minute. Does not stack with seeds. These are pretty much might pills (which are not in Rise), tho they last longer.

Thank you for the detailed list. Sounds like I need to start using the submarines for demondrug and armorskin.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Silver Falcon posted:

I finally got a dang gem last night. I got, no joke, 13 Plates in the course of my quest.

Now I don't even know what to do with it. I could make a Handicraft deco or make one of the Marshmallow weapons.

Either way I could throw a party for the entirety of Kamura Village and serve food on Commemorative Magnamalo Plates.

Feed it to the melder to make a Horn Maestro 1, Recoil Down 1, no slot talisman.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Feed it to the melder to make a Horn Maestro 1, Recoil Down 1, no slot talisman.

I actually have one of those.

Also, oof the talisman grind is a thing. It's not bad for me, as I have a recoils down 2 spare shot 2 2-1 slot talisman and it works great because I'm LBG maining, but good God I have seen exactly one wex talisman (a blue quality, level 1 with 1 level 1 slot) and literally zero crit talismans, and I've made hundreds at this point.

It's much better now that we can just make all the decks, but still.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Saxophone posted:

I actually have one of those.

Also, oof the talisman grind is a thing. It's not bad for me, as I have a recoils down 2 spare shot 2 2-1 slot talisman and it works great because I'm LBG maining, but good God I have seen exactly one wex talisman (a blue quality, level 1 with 1 level 1 slot) and literally zero crit talismans, and I've made hundreds at this point.

It's much better now that we can just make all the decks, but still.

Yeah now you just need a 2-2 or 3-2 slot talisman and you can make a good endgame set. Anything past that you're just adding a few 2 slot skills which will squeeze out an extra 3% of damage or something.

The drop rates on the god tier ones are ridiculous tho

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The icons for demondrug/armorskin disappear after carting, so I'm pretty sure the buffs go away. You can just bring extra drugs with you or hit up your tent for more if you need them.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

The icons for demondrug/armorskin disappear after carting, so I'm pretty sure the buffs go away. You can just bring extra drugs with you or hit up your tent for more if you need them.

As long as they aren't a limited duration buff then I am ok with re potting after carting. Thanks for the info.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Silver Falcon posted:

Funny how that happens. I can't get plates to drop from him; and I get orbs more often. I'm repeatedly able to build the highest tier Malo weapon, but not the penultimate one.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

What is the max possible decoration slots for a talisman? The best I've rolled so far is 3-2-1 (with slugger +2 and fire resistance +2). Although I have a couple 2-2 and 2-1-1 that I really like because of their skills.

I wish you could lock or favorite them for easier melding.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

bbcisdabomb posted:

Actually, that is a good point. Also, I know I've drank a drug again after carting and (iirc) the game doesn't let you consume one if you already have the buff.

Guess it's just down to food buffs lasting through carts.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Pretty sure you can now drink drugs even if you already have the buff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mag's Orb being literally 1% can gently caress right off. I just want to upgrade my LBG and then I can finally stop fighting this purple rear end in a top hat forever.