Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Got the game yesterday - blown away by it, this has to be the best MH ever.. Never played MH online, how can I play online with fellow goons? Is there a thread for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Just switched to GS, really enjoying the weighty feel. Any tips for someone new to GS? Also just got to HR, cool to be able to go through all the monsters again - are there many new ones exclusive to HR though?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

BlancoNino posted:

Don't feel like you need to do a full charge for every attack, you can do a lot of hit and run until you get a big opening. The wire bug dodge that sheaths your weapon and gives a buff is beyond useful. There is a tackle you can do to cancel a charge, press A while charging. And you can jump off the palamute while dashing by just pressing B and get to third level charge regularly. This counts for the wire bug jump as well.

I didn't like the starting switch skills for GS that much. The jump attack is meh and uses two bugs up.. The forward dash into charge has crazy hyper armor into a follow up Rage Slash which is my bread and butter.

The wire bug really makes the greatsword absurdly mobile.

Thanks for these tips! Wire bug dodge is really useful, didn't notice that. GS is real fun, gotta get those other switch skills

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
I'm nearing the end of Rise and needless to say I have absolutely loved it. I was wondering is MHGU still worth a play? Does anyone play it online these days and how would that work?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Sudden Javelin posted:

Cant promise low rank will be very populous but the online will definitely still be alive. I'd say it's worth a play but that hinges on your tolerance for jank.

Lobbies are much as they are in Rise but with clunky old school stuff - you gotta cancel your quest with the quest giver to accept someone else's if you both posted at the same time, you cant join mid hunt so all have to go into the quest together, little things like that

As long as you know what you're getting into, theres lots of fun still to be had there. And even after every patch is done, the Rise roster will never come close, GU has shitloads of monsters

I've been a MH fan since Tri if that gives an idea about my jank tolerance? Not sure if Tri was supposed to be janky or not but I had no issues with it back then

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Yo Monster Hunteurs, I heard there was a potentially savegame destroying bug when upgrading to Sunbreak, is there anyway to prevent this or how do I back up my precious basegame Rise save (specifically on a steam deck, soz to be difficult!)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

felgs posted:

If it's what I think you're referring to, it was patched early on in the Sunbreak updates, I don't think it's something you have to worry about anymore.

Duno Steam reviews on Sunbreak seem to say it’s still a thing. But probably an easy fix, in that I’ll just backup beforehand just in case