Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sloth Socks posted:

What are folks doing for the VO? I'm tempted to switch to the JP so it feels a little more appropriate, but I want to see how the player call-outs in hunts work first.
I played all of World in English despite mockery from people in this very thread, but I got about five buttons into character creation in this one before my hunter said an actual word and I started over in Monster Hunter Language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't remember them having done this before in monhan and its pretty cool even if I kinda have mixed feelings about actually doing it because I feel like a fraud. If you level your village rank and don't touch the hub at all, they start giving you village quests that increase your HR so you can skip the early ranks

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thanks - weird that only I progressed then. You do get credit towards the urgent if you aren’t in your own lobby right?
If you've done all the key quests and unlocked the urgent, you should credit for it even if you didn't post it. They probably missed a key

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Hey goons.

Thinking about picking this up. I tried World briefly, but had some issues with it that caused me to bounce off. I have pretty bad eyesight and the fonts were freakishly tiny, for one. So it felt pretty inaccessible to me. I looked at some stuff on YouTube and the fonts do look bigger in general. But before I pull the trigger I had a few questions.
There's some stuff that you can only get in single player village and you'll want to go back and do it at some point, but you can immediately walk into the hub and play multiplayer semi-exclusively yeah.

Targeting is the same as World, you select a target and L swings the camera towards them, or there's a hard lock option.

I don't think there's a font size option but the fonts do seem a little bigger than World's at least.

As for which weapons require the least aiming and positioning that's a hard one because that's kinda the whole game. I'd honestly probably recommend the hammer because the way blunt damage works makes it a little more forgiving about where you hit. Lance I'd actually recommend for similar reasons, it has a pretty forgiving damage formula also, but I would say not to get overly reliant on blocking with the shield

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

new kind of cat posted:

is it not a crazy shinto monk chanting a prayer in the other language settings? I’m on monster hunter language and it’s a crazy chant done in some sort of priest/monk song. i thought of english tried to sing the same way that it’d be hilariously bad but that sucks if they just recite the words. there’s so much atmosphere with these creepy songs
Its some dude doing a Vincent Price impression on the English track

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really get the utility/design reasons behind designing this nice village setting and then once you get to high rank, forcing you to go into the hub to see the high rank quest list. Like, just let me see the full quest list from either of the twins?

I'm curious how the lategame grind is going to feel without investigations (I assume they're not in, they haven't cropped up yet) cause those felt like a good way to get a bit more of a chance to get the rare poo poo. Do you just keep repeating the main quests that contain the monster you want poo poo from? For some reason that feels more nakedly grindy even though it's essentially just a nomenclature thing.
It's pretty much the same design as most of the pre World games, especially in the initial releases before the G rank version comes out. It's kinda perfunctory but village is a tutorial. In some of the older games you couldn't move freely between village and hub while in multiplayer so that's why the split exists in the first place, so pretty much historical reasons.

World also, was an outlier in terms of endgame. Monhan typically doesn't have much of an endgame. They had the charm grind but that was just something that happened while you were hunting anyway, 4 and Generations added the forest/expeditions which were interesting but I think people largely didn't care about them. Even vanilla World's streamstone grind was atrociously bad, although Iceborne endgame was a bit better.

So, I wouldn't get your hopes up too much, and just enjoy hunting. At least since it's on a Nintendo system there's probably going to be a lot of good collab quests.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

I started playing Monster Hunter with World so I'm not entirely sure how the whole hub thing works yet. I understand the divide between village and hub quests (and why the new special license quests are a nice QoL upgrade) but I've been hesitant to jump into multiplayer with randoms because I don't really know how the structure of it works yet.

Should I be making my own lobbies to hunt specific monsters? Should I just join a lobby and do whatever quests people post? Can you still just SoS join like World?
SoS is called "join request" now, it's there but it works a little bit differently. Or you can make a lobby and tag it with what you're doing, if you're farming a specific monster or doing keys or whatever, and hope someone joins. Or join one randomly, whatever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm looking for some other options and alternatives to gunlance, i like it and it's fun but i don't want to miss out on other things that are maybe cooler

i feel like greatsword would be good for me in theory because it will give me the boner from big numbers and that's all i want

but it's SO slow and i dont know how people do it.
The secret of greatsword is, not doing the slow stuff most of the time. For one, you never want to move with your weapon drawn longer than the distance of a roll and a tackle or two, when you need to reposition you sheathe and move, which is easier than ever in this game with the ZR+A silkbind that's a big step while sheathing + a damage boost. Second, you never want to let the recovery animations play out, they're almost all either dodge and/or tackle cancellable. And third, you don't pull out the charge until you get an opportunity to hit it without being punished. Which means usually GS is all about hit and run using fast wides and overheads to work around their attacks until you see an opportunity to hit them with a charge open up, and then how good an opportunity it is dictating how much time you can use skipping or comboing charges (almost always skipping the basic rear end charge, sometimes skipping the strong charge to go straight to true, or just doing a strong if you're short on time, or a double or triple combo if you're wide open). Also remember you can always tackle out of a charge if it looks like its going to go bad, tackles have guard frames and it will often set you up for another safer charge to punish their attack.

Once you get the switch skill to replace ZR+X with a forward dash strong charge, you're pretty much on rollerskates. GS is crazy fast in this game. You still need to be super aware of monster movesets and be good at estimating how much time you have to do things before it does something to gently caress you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Look at the skill lists for cats vs the equipment for dogs. Cats do all sorts of poo poo but its baked in to their character sheet, where dogs have a variety of gear that you can equip to them but are less versatile overall.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I hope the first or second update adds a bunch of variants and subspecies. It seems so barebones right now that they would need to add quite a bit to make it have anywhere near the content of launch world or cross.

its insane to compare anything to cross, the firesale game that they made to show off all the assets from the PSP games one last time, there will never be another game like that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I wish there was a quick way to swap the lower right hand map between the Full vs the area, without losing access to the right stick.

Right now if I'm just on an expedition where I want to see materials close to me, I like having the map set to area, but when I'm hunting I like that map set to full. And I'd like to not have to go into the settings menu to change the map type. Yes I know I can press minus to bring up a full screen map but then I can't see where I'm going. And if i hold L to "change" it, I lose access to my camera control.
Just turn off the radial menu

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its bad, a modal interface that takes over your camera controls and doesn't allow you to prime items while you're doing other things like the classic L+Y/A. So incredibly glad they have the foresight to allow you to turn it off

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I also dont like that the radial menu is on the same button as the detailed map so you can't run around to find the account item spawn locations while having the map open unless you turn the radial menu off

the only time I even use the radial menu is for riding the dog
Yeah it would be fine if there was another button on the controller, but adding a second way to navigate your inventory to a game that already uses every button on your controller with many of those buttons overloaded, is a bit much. And heck, Rise adds a third inventory menu with the action bar, although the only people that would annoy are claw players that want to use dpad camera.

I recognize that you gotta have the radial menu if you want to pretend monhan is a mainstream video game, because the old inventory system was one of the things that drove people away. Like the focus camera, in a lot of ways, something that people think they want but is actually kinda counter to the design of the game and that they will gladly let you disable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

This seems like such an odd take because I can't help but feel like the standard bar discourages going consumable heavy/utility consumables because it gets more cumbersome to use the more you bring. Not to mention stuff like the BBQ spit which is useless but takes up a spot.

Works fine for stuff you want to use before entering combat like drugs and rations, but feels terrible for trying to quickly get between potions, cures and life powder.
Was never a problem before. Monster Hunter is generally a game where you know what item you're going to use seconds before you use it, and its slow enough that they give you time to prime the item while you're moving or animating long before you actually are able to or want to use it, its not a very twitchy game. Like that's just how the game was built, that's why its explicitly an inventory system that works while you're doing other things. Radial menu is fine too but its more work to think about and select the item at the exact moment you want to use it, than to already have it ready to go. As for being more cumbersome, you just have to keep your bar sorted. They did get rid of the item bar organization menu from World though which sucks, its back to just working off of bag order.

Like if you want to get really grognardy about it, Monster Hunter was never designed to have good camera controls either, the monsters are big enough that its just not strictly necessary to constantly adjust the camera which is why people put up with the claw for so long. Having camera controls is a net positive and it makes people happier, and the only other idea they ever had for the right stick was using it to attack which uh Was Interesting, but you don't need it the way the game is designed

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

anyone getting some good use out of the action bar™?

I'm wondering because I kinda just... disabled it early and have never felt a need for it :v: I am addicted to having camera controls on the d-pad because I like being able to look around while carving and gathering and I know it's mostly pointless in this game since gathering is just one press but I am so used to it. I put dog summon on the radial menu and I use the radial menu for sharpening, dog and mega potions.
The only thing I use it for is to call my dog, which I would gladly put on the item bar

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mightygerm posted:

Whats a good way to grind money? HR crafting takes quite a bit and running group quests seems to split the zenny rewards. Do I just speedrun 6/7* village?
HR4 or 5 I think, the Argosy will fairly regularly sell valuables for points, always worth it to check the housekeeper after every hunt

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

so what's the deal with picking a specific skill? and what is the "skill growth rate" referring to?
I think it's just weighted for that skill, you'll mostly get other garbage but have a better chance of getting the one you targeted than you would otherwise

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Same but rampage is boring IMO so I was p happy about it.

Does anyone else think its way too loving busy with 4 hunters and 4 buddies? Palamutes especially are just so visually all over the place it's v. distracting and I really hate it?? I kinda wish once you were over 2 hunters you could ride your palamute and then it hosed off cuz it's actually turning me off multiplayer.
For any of the smaller monsters its way too much, it stops bothering me on anything bigger than like a Barroth though

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

Am I reading this correctly? The Jyuratodus gauntlets require a wyvern gem to craft and don’t have any skills on them?
It also has 3 gem slots, one of which is size 3 which is really rare in this game so far.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I finished up HR7 tonight, and ended up using wirebug recovery a lot more than I had been previously. I thought Generations was monhan koryu edition, but the more I gently caress around with wirebugs and silkbinds, and now having seen the final boss, I have a new appreciation for how broken (in a good way) this game actually is and for how the Ichinose games have begun to distinguish themselves from being just "the B team games" to being weirdass Monster Hunter romhacks that come out every other game now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder if Wirebugs and Switch Skills will carry over into the next entry. I think at the very least we will see some of these same concepts in a different form, like some of the style moves from generations being rolled over into the main move sets, or the movement aspects of the clutch claw/slinger being spun off into wirebugs.
Probably not the next game, the A games very rarely ever pull features from the B games. The next Ichinose game though, probably in some form.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

When the next one comes out I'm gonna get to be the grognard who's mad that features from a previous game aren't returning, just shaking my fist about switch skills and wirebugs
The one guy that loaded up portable 3rd and was pissed that they took out swimming

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I'd be amazed if they don't bring palamutes forward at the least given it's an evolution of a Iceborne feature. (and also dogs are popular.)

Like the other poster said, wirebug is kind of also an evolution of the slinger and claw stuff, but I could see them toning it down or stripping it back.

I wonder how much would also just shake out based on reception and sales.
I mean this is the series where the two teams have fought over trivial poo poo like how weapon stats are displayed, for 20 years. Styles were pretty popular but you won't be seeing those in the main games. Palamutes, maybe I could see

victrix posted:

wirebug evade just feels totally broken to me

granted it has no invuln so it's potentially dangerous in high rank against fast rapid attacking monsters, but in general it trivializes a ton of basic monster patterns
Yeah like honestly I'd rather it not become a core part of monster hunter, it's a fun mechanic to gently caress around with but it does dramatically change the nature of this game. To the point that the big elder dragon is a bullet hell platformer where you're just straight up required to fly around the level to clear. Cool idea but it's a novelty that I'm going to be sick of by the time the next one comes out, like arts and styles

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

404notfound posted:

So far I've just been beelining for the monster and hitting it until it dies (or sometimes capturing it), but what's a good way to start taking advantage of consumables/endemic life to optimize combat? I'm enjoying the basic gameplay loop, but it doesn't really feel like prepping for and hunting a target
Honestly this one is the game that has the least amount of prep. But there's always stuff that pays off like knowing if monsters use status effects and whether to should bring antidotes or nulberries or cleanser or whatever. Knowing when monsters are vulnerable to flash bombs or sonic bombs can massively mitigate parts of fights. All the endemics that inflict blights are super useful. There's stuff like bombs and tainted/drugged meat that have been useful in the past but the with faster pace of this one I haven't seen many opportunities to use them.

+ just super basic maintenance stuff of making sure you keep on top of all the potions and energy drinks and drugs and powders, and wearing whatever gear makes your hunts go faster. You don't have to do it, but it's the difference between 15 minute hunts and 5 minute ones

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can trap them just to get some free damage in, shock traps are good for getting at their tails too

Bombs are kind of a waste for a trap because they take time to set up and blow everyone away, four people bursting hard while they're trapped is a better use. You can just set bombs up and have them charge them if you want to bomb, or do aerial bombing. The old strat was to wait for them to go to sleep and bomb them for the wake up bonus, but monsters barely get a chance to sleep in Rise unless you're intentionally holding back.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Skills are just more fun than res imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Seems like its about as bad or probably a little bit better than the charm grinds in pre World games, at least you can target them, and at least you're getting them for hunting

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Monster Hunter has literally never had a "good" endgame, if you're that obsessed with finding the perfect roll I think they've been pretty consistently clear over the past 20 years that you're playing the wrong game, any time they've had a random loot mechanic in these games its rarely something worth taking seriously and its not something they're interested in making better. Which is why with like two exceptions the only random part of your build is the least significant, those exceptions being relic weapons in 4 and streamstones in vanilla World (and that was super hosed up). If you get a good charm its nice, but they're never going to make or break you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

boz posted:

I put 100s of hours into World and Iceborne and still haven't seen a Protective Polish Jewel
I played 3 for Actual Years between tri and 3U and I'm not sure I ever found an actual useful charm. + 3U was the game with the infamous charm table bug, thats how much they cared about loot

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Same, you don't need to know the combos and mechanics right away, especially if you're focused on village quests.
Eh you don't need to know to clear, but if you don't know the loop you're gonna have some Long rear end Hunts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Qubee posted:

Most frustrating is when I get my Switchaxe full power and get some solid hits from my combo on, but then my attacks start veering off course and I can't correct to follow the target.
Touching on this part specifically cause this is actually a stumbling point that people run into super often when they're first getting into monster hunter. For most weapons you totally give up control when your combo starts, some weapons let you steer a bit between hits, switch axe ain't one of those so if you miss the last attack of a 5 hit combo your gently caress up was actually where you were aiming 5 hits ago. Or rather, its not your attacks that are veering off course, but the monster veering off where you predicted they'd be. You might just be mashing out your combos too fast, you kinda need to play it like a fighting game and hit confirm, and its alright to bail out of a combo half way if its going bad. Even by the standards of games that require you to commit to long rear end uncancellable animations, monster hunter animations are longer rear end than most.

To answer your question about what makes some weapons more difficult than others, part of it is just that some weapons have more commitment than others. Sword and Shield you have a crazy amount of flexibility and mobility, and on the opposite end of the spectrum great sword you need to know where the monster is going to be 5 seconds in the future at all times, switch axe is in the middle somewhere. But also its not necessarily like intrinsic difficulty, its really more just a matter of taste like picking a fighting game character. Some people like Chun-Li, some people like Zangief, if you spend some time with every weapon you might just find one that you click with instantly. Or just lab one long enough that you become comfortable with how it handles.

Also like, I know people play this game with keyboard and mouse its totally doable, but if you have a controller you might want to try that. Sometimes you just need to adjust your aim by a couple of degrees and imo its just way easier to do that with a very delicate stick motion than wasd

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guilty posted:

So this game is insanely addicting. I just unlocked HR, and am getting ready for end game set ups. Is there a website I can quick reference basic end game builds for every weapon? Something with good basic information for someone whose introduction to the franchise is Rise?
The problem is, making the "basic end game builds" kind of is the end game in itself, in Rise at this point in time but also kinda monhan generally? Once you've made the gear, you're already done, at least until you decide to build another set. And unless you're chasing the meta (such as it exists in monhan, which it doesn't really), what skills you shoot for is super up to personal taste and what you think sounds fun for the weapon you're using

Also if you're just hitting HR you're like 1/3rd the way through the game and can't build any of those yet anyway.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Crowetron posted:

Is there even a meta to chase yet in Rise?
Meta didnt even exist before World, outside of like a half dozen monster hunter speedrunners. Then World attracted a bunch of MMO brained weirdos that use dps meters and talk about Meta Builds, even though they're really just stacking attack and affinity

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hmm using the fun weapon and having a good time, thats hosed up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish the big wirebug spots appeared on the minimap. For all the good a palico does the drift doggo gives entirely too much mobility to pass up.
They do, they're little circles with arrows pointing the direction they launch you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The rampage weapons I've seen are all really good, you can customize them to whatever element you want or just be strong raw weapons, you can gently caress with their sharpness bars and affinity in weird ways, and you're not really giving anything up for the flexibility of it. They're almost Too Good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ojetor posted:

Rampage weapons are ok for early HR, not really good at the top end. At least for the weapon types I've checked they're easily outclassed by regular monster weapons.

e: Goss Harag weapons are better than Rampage weapons with Attack Surge (high raw negative affinity) for every weapon type I've checked, and Narga weapons are better than Affinity Surge Rampage weapons (high affinity, lower raw).
There's only like, at most a half dozen weapons per tree that I've seen that are dramatically better, I'm not really sure how that makes them only "ok for early HR"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

ughhh I don't wanna clownsuit
Don't then, do whatever you want. There's some complete sets that give you decent skills, then slap some gems on there

Wildtortilla posted:

Are the combo/move lists displayed in the training area complete?
No, they're just highlights

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Finishing off a monster by getting off a full True Charge Slash right in in their giant face as they try to charge me is the greatest feeling in video games.

I still need to learn more about good times to tackle, I spend most of my time as great sword just doing a draw attack and maybe one follow-up. Getting in the charge attacks usually has me dodging out before I can even think of going in on the TCS.
Mostly you just use tackle to trim or adjust a charge combo. If you only have time for one charge its usually better to tackle the first one and do a strong instead, or you can tackle twice and go straight to a true. Mostly its just a matter of knowing how much time you have vs how long the charges take. Also if you gently caress up and charge too early or in the wrong spot, you can tackle cancel and either abort or charge again, thats an important move that takes some of the risk out of charging. + you can dodge roll into a tackle and go straight to a strong charge, which is usually a good way to capitalize on openings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah + if you wait to use the punisher sometimes they'll be ready to get up before the bar is empty, and can get a second knockdown out of it