Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Magna Kaser posted:

so I went way out of my comfort zone and after totally ignoring the guns for like 5 generations I've been loving around with lbg a bit in rise. I like to jump over the monster and throw mines on them.

however I am still baffled by choosing a weapon, mostly because of how much the ammo varies which I guess is the whole appeal and point to the weapon.

I look at my options and have no idea if one is actually better or not in the way I can look at like any melee weapon and generally get a rough idea of if its OK or awful. Not just the types of ammo but like if something is rapid fire or you have to stay still when you reload/etc/etc....

I've been mostly using the magnamalo and zinogre lbgs and am getting into HR more now but still generally confused about what weapons to make. Can anyone help me out with what to actually look for or make???

So I'm new to the LBG and the game in general.

But from what I can gather rapid fire piercing and shrapnel ammo vastly outperform everything else because they get very significant multihit on enemies (without requiring melee range like Spread) if you fire them properly. The damage I've seen out of piercing ammo on bosses where I land a rapid fire shot properly is just absolutely disgusting.

There are a few weapons in early high rank that meet at least one of these criteria.

Hidden eye under the Nargacuga tree gives you rapid fire Pierce Ammo 1 with a magazine of 4

Barro Barrel II under the Barroth Tree gives you rapid fire Pierce Ammo 1 with a magazine of 3 (And reload on the move) and rapid fire Shrapnel ammo 2 with a magazine of of 3. (Although it has more shot deviation and no slicing ammo)

The Shotgun under the Remobra Tree has access to rapid fire Shrapnel Ammo 1 with a magazine of 4.

I think all of these can perform very very well basically.

What I'd say about piercing ammo is that the Rhenoplos armour set has Pierce up as one of its equipment skills and I don't see any equivalent for Shrapnel ammo. So I think Rapid Fire Piercing will give the highest performance of anything and is probably what you should look for on a gun.

So thinking about it I'd probably prioritise

Rapid Fire Pierce>Rapid Fire Shrapnel>Paralysis Ammo=Sleep Ammo>Slicing Ammo>Everything else.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly a lot of that rings true for me when I picked it up.

Its all very intuitive now but I had some friends who helped guide me through that process. I wouldn't have known how to set up a multiplayer game or to remap the inventory buttons to the D-pad for example.

And I only figured out the basics of LBG after watching a quick youtube tutorial on the the simple moves.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think this is up there for one of the stupidest videos I've ever made, but I couldn't get the Metal Slug thoughts out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XJlmbrsLg

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I know this is controversial but looking over the armor sets in this game just makes me wish Attack Boost didn't exist. I like the idea that I can put on like full Kulu armor and have a solid hunting horn build or Barioth for a greatsword build but in the back of my mind I'm always gonna be like, "Yeah but I could be doing more damage." Attack Boost is even stronger now! The higher levels of it give a percentage boost to your attack on top of a flat bonus.

I realize that's mostly on me and that I by no means need optimal damage in my builds. Realistically, at my level of skill, I'd probably get more extra damage out of something like a Power Prolonger build on my IG than I would out of Attack Boost/Crit Eye/Weakness Exploit/Crit Boost just because it'd let me have the triple buff up for that much longer and spend less time gathering extracts. Just gotta recalibrate my brain probably.

Fwiw the marginal boost on Attack IV is the biggest so you can get to that and then drop out of it for a better marginal boost elsewhere.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Well I killed the final boss.

I can't say I'm a fan of that fight.

I get the movement options in the game are relatively robust but basing a fight around having to slowly put your weapon away and then hope you stick a wirebug so that you can get to artillery weapons that have controls that are inverted from what goes on with the LBG is just awful. Additionally wyvernblasts that stick to the boss basically end up being unhittable because its hitbox doesn't match the model so your wyvernblasts will just stick somewhere in the air around the boss.

It felt really terrible compared to some of the cooler HR7 fight basically and I'm kinda annoyed that it was my bookend to the game.

All that being said, I'm really glad I gave this series another look after I hated World as much as I did. Light bowgun is basically everything I needed to make the game work and it was a real joy to play through the entire way.

I'd probably have less grinding in it, I never really felt that I lost a fight to lack of skill so much as bosses just oneshotting me because my armour hadn't been upgraded far enough. That and there are weapon and armour combinations I never got to try and never will try because they'd require a stupid amount of grinding to achieve. But it wasn't so bad as to make me stop wanting to play, so all in all, a fun time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
On one hand I'm enjoying the poo poo out of brutally murdering new monsters with machine gun.

On the other hand, there's not much point in any of the new LBGs when the Hidden Eye is just so bonkers.

The only way I can really see to upgrade on where I am is if I roll a charm with a level 3 and rapid fire or pierce up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finally put together a sticky set and man…. I hate how much you have to manage the ammunition. Gotta constantly keep an eye out to see how often spare shot procs so you don’t eat your sticky 1 by accident so you’re constantly looking at numbers. And on tougher hunts you will have to go and restock. And crafting is a two step process of crafting 1s then 3s since you can only keep 9,9, then 30 blast nuts.

The shooting and damage is nice, and the KOs you get with this i straight up hilarious, but I don’t think I’ll use it often.

Yeah this is the problem I had with the LBG sticky sets. You contrast to the pierce set where you have 60 pierce 2 and then another 240 pierce 2 because you can craft all your pierce 1 into pierce 2 and you're just in for a much more chilled out time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

RF Pierce 2, I could swap out the ballistics for crit eye to get 100% affinity on weak spots but I like having a large critical distance

Question and a comment.

What's on your talisman? Looking at the build, some of what it's doing seems unachievable without a very good roll there.

Additionally. I think you can drop a point of recoil down since the Narga LBG only needs two points for pierce 2 to be as fast as it can go.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Oxyclean posted:

I tried out the Narga Pierce LBG but I felt like I just chewed through ammo even on an easy monster.

Anyone got a build incase I was overlooking something? Do I only use Pierce 2? How much ammo should I expect to use, and what do I pack to maximize my ability to craft more in the field?

You only use pierce 2.

Pierce 2 crafts from Pierce 1 with Gunpowder 2. Both of which can be purchased.

And every pierce 1 + gunpowder you use crafts 4 pierce 2.

So running in with 60 pierce 2, 60 pierce 1 and 60 gunpowder 2 gives you 300 pierce 2 for a full encounter which is more than enough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

To add to this.

This is a good aim for the deep endgame.

But I'd say for midgame (/you're not going to grind that much) it's probably not realistic and you can go for a much easier setup that at the very least has carried me through Rise with no trouble.

What I'd suggest doing before going for the crit focused builds which are very dependent on exact decorations and really rare armour (seriously, I didn't know the Vaik mail existed until yesterday) is to go for a straight damage up build.

The Rhenopolos set is easy to make and gives Pierce Up 3 which is +20% damage. You want the Head and feet here.
You can then grab the Rathalos Chest, Bracers and then your choice of then Anjanath legs or the Rathalos legs for attack boost 5.

Decorate for reload down 1 and recoil down 2. You don't really need recoil down 3 because it doesn't benefit pierce 2, (even though it does benefit your paralysis and slicing ammo)

And then go at it. You'll murder basically everything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
What does LBG want to do in 3.0? I've just been sat on the Narga for the entire game and everything is set up around that. (Very basic pierce set rather than the super optimal weak point set). Is the Ibushi gun strong enough after two upgrades to make up for the medium slot and crit you lose?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Aranan posted:

All true, and can also add Magnamalo Sticky 3/Slicing combo and Anjanath Sticky 3/Cluster 2 combo. Kaboom.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm mainly just thinking about if there's any hard upgrade on the Narga, but it looks like there are just playstyle changes. Broadly I'm just smart enough to deal with crafting Pierce 2 on the fly but actually making the other ammo is just never going to happen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

If you bind it to the action wheel, it's just a matter of hitting the button. Almost every ammo is the same as piercing, with the major exception being stickies. For stickies you just need two buttons - you craft sticky 3 (which uses sticky 1), and then craft sticky 1. At the very least if you're using Narga, it's worth putting slicing on the same action wheel so that you can top those up as well, as slicing ammo is pretty darned good.

The crafting is fine. The topping up seeds / berries in my inventory is just not happening.

The greatest part of pierce 2 is that you make it from pierce 1 which is vendor buyable and gunpowder 2 which is also on the vendors. The number of times when i was on pierce 1 and just forgot to bring latchberries is too high.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Aranan posted:

Are you aware that you can save loadouts for your items?

What.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I remember getting to the poop swamp in World and just quitting right out on the monster that needed me to fight it whilst my HP was being drained.

Rise has nothing that terrible. Also the movement is better and I discovered that my true calling is engaging in modern loving warfare with these monsters and gunning them down in a hail of bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sab669 posted:

I really don't understand the decision to make cosmetic gear its own items. Just let me equip the things I've "actually crafted" to the cosmetic slots :psyduck:

Or yea why you need to get HR8 to unlock it :shrug:

Because farming up an actual Rathalos set or whatever would take ages compared to just blending a few scraps for a mog.

Edit: Correct answer is why not both though.