Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hope you make a return one day little guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Framboise posted:

gimme my greatsword or my switch axe any day

Greatsword always, but i'll respect Capcom's effort to make the weapon fun to play and give Hunting Horn a serious go in Rise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Impermanent posted:

do we know if this is gonna be a midnight release or one of the awful 3 pm releases

It's gonna be a midnight EST release.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Huxley posted:

Added to the reserved post and also added some links.

If anyone else has suggestions for links shout them out.

You forgot the best weapons guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcYJFI7HQU4&list=PLDnRMnDDjAzK3uOpcNSowUGVx4OBpsgya&ab_channel=JoCat

Framboise posted:

While my general response is just "yeah but I just like BIG SORD", I am curious to see what they did to make HH fun? I haven't been following information much; what did they change?

Basically everything, but the biggest one is that you no longer need to worry about playing recitals to buff, as the HH will now play itself as long as you attack with the same note twice in a row. Here's a great video to show it off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-8XOt4HpY

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

I think we are all ignoring the biggest question here:

English voices, Japanese voices, MH language voices, or Turn Dat poo poo Off?

I have to admit the English voices grew on me.

MH language, with the trashtalk turned down to 20%.

That being said they've already said we'll be seeing paid voice pack DLC, and if we get a Johnny Young Bosch voice pack I might have to convert. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

victrix posted:

What're folks doing for multiplayer voice chat?

Discord all the way. Just install it to your phone and plug in some headphones.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Aggggh I ended up getting tomorrow off of work instead of Friday so I can't game nearly as effectively as I would have liked

Great post/avatar combo. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Nice!

Now who is getting the deluxe version? Obviously it’s all cosmetic stuff but ya know...

I got it. I know that i'll get my money's worth out of the game anyway, plus I want all the fashion options possible.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

Speaking of fashion: Is there some kind of transmog system out of the gate this time? I remember MHW took awhile to add it, and then it came kind of in a limited capacity.

Sadly, no. Hopefully it comes with the two major "finish the game" title updates but as of 1.0 all you're getting is the pre-order/amiibo layered stuff.

Edit: By the end of Iceborne you had practically the entire armor selection available to be made as layered.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Harrow posted:

Have any reviews talked about the variety of weapon designs? From what I can see in the videos I've watched it looks much better than World on that front, and if that's the case I'm very excited.

The only weapons that stick to the iron/bone+monster bits are the World-exclusives that were like it to begin with. World's uniques carried over, and weapons from older monsters that were butchered have been redone to be unique again, such as Narga's Dual Blades or Tigrex's Insect Glaive.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ethiser posted:

Zinogre’s theme is THE monster theme to me. Since I heard it in Portable 3rd it has always stood out the most to me.

and Iceborne gave us the best rendition of it yet....as the mount theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY9rue5p2Tw

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Yami Fenrir posted:

I really find it interesting how Lance is still consistently so low despite basically trivializing 90% of monsters in World.

The problem is that lance really lacks a big "OOMPH" attack, along with the misconception that lance is a slow, immobile weapon. People just find the weapon too boring.

Ethiser posted:

If you trust leakers, I saw someone saying that Hunting Horn got nerfed from the demo, so if that is true I’m curious to see if it stays popular when it isn’t so powerful.

HH is still "mid-tier", but it absolutely got gutted in its motion values.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zore posted:

Were there any other major changes from the demo beyond HH getting nerfed into the ground?

The only other big one was Spread ammo being nerfed. The actual motion values got buffed to 10 when it was previously 8, but now Spread 1/2/3 only fire 3/4/5 pellets as opposed to 5/6/7.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Longsword is the only true MH weapon, FYI

If you're the kind of gamer who likes the difficulty set to baby mode maybe... :smuggo:

and with Rise that Crap Guide joke is more apt than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x14d4FY-QrM

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ciaphas posted:

this is ticklin' my happy brain spots in a way not felt since Sekiro

Don't get too attached, cause there's no goddamn way this won't get nerfed into the ground shortly after release. It's gonna be base World Slicing ammo all over again.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is there any detail as to how capturing and rewards work in this game yet?

Are we looking at World's little to no difference between the two, or the older games' and their definite split is chances?

I admit to being a "capture only" man in World.

Early access and screenshots of the rewards suggests that we're back to older style.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4eiBNYZ_Ko

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

im assuming someone has asked this already but. i need to know. what TIME tomorrow is this GAME releasing? i'll accept any time zone as long as you specify which it is, in acronym or the full thing written out.

Looks like it will be a midnight EST release.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Aranan posted:

For the HH users who want the old style over the new style... can you explain why? Current style is "play two notes from bashing monsters and a song just happens" and the old style is "queue up notes to then later manually play a song by pushing a button". Seems like it's more work for no gain to me.

Some people just think new HH is too simplified as a result of the weapon now playing itself as opposed to needing to wait for a giant opening/corner dooting to get the buffs off.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's mostly bizarre to see people whip a 180 and start making GBS threads on the 'old style' of horn and then find out that the good majority of them never even played the thing in the first place.

I mean I hardly whipped a 180. My impressions of it in World when I tried it was that it was a slower and clunkier hammer that had the added baggage of also needing to worry about playing songs so I could "pull my weight" on hunts.

Bleck posted:

It's kind of like they gave HH the rework that GL needed.

It's not like HH didn't need the rework either if we want to go off of weapon usage.

Genuine question for the vets: When was the last time a weapon got as much hype surrounding it like Rise HH has gotten? Was there a similar reaction from the community when Great Sword got the ability to charge, for example?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Johnny Joestar posted:

a lot of the hype around the horn in rise was probably due to it seeming to have way jacked up stats, and given that it was apparently cracked in the knees pretty hard for release i'm imagining a lot of people are going to try it out again and be disillusioned because it's not automatically chain-stunning monsters again like it was in the demo.

There was plenty of hype for the new horn before the demo was even playable, just from the video showing it off for the first time. As for the nerfs the horn got, it's just not borderline busted anymore like LS currently is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

grassy gnoll posted:

Does the English dub actually pronounce "palamute" the wrong way, or are streamers just universally dumb?

Pretty sure the English dub pronounces it "mute". Are streamers really saying "mutt"?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ketchup vs catsup posted:

when this comes out is MHW gonna be dead? I played the poo poo out of it at release but only just got Iceborne

It won't be "dead", and i'm sure people here will go back to World/IB on occasion once we've had Rise for a while and the new game smell wears off, but yeah, you're probably gonna be struggling to find people to play with for the near future.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Alxprit posted:

oh custom gangtags for all 14 weapons would be wild too

Now i'm trying to think of a good Great Sword tag. True Charge Bros. maybe?

Hunting Horn would be Breakdancin' Battle Bard.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
RISE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JapDyUwAu8

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
After a day of playing...Yeah, this is a really good Monster Hunter game. Hunting Horn has been tearing through the Village quests, nerfs be damned. Funny enough, my only carts so far have been to World monsters - the newbies can't touch me. :v:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

stev posted:

Do the maps get better? The first one is tiny, empty and dull as hell - especially coming from the intricate labyrinths of World.

If you're hoping for the density of World's maps then you might be disappointed. The maps very much carry the pre-World design, just with no loading zones, and way more verticality.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I'm convinced the devs were having a laugh at calling Arzuros "Bloodlust Incarnate".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I am here to sell ALL Great Sword users on the Rage Slash:

https://twitter.com/TaurusOxford/status/1376618262637604866

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Got lucky with a Crit Eye 3 charm, and this is the result:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

404notfound posted:

Do you need to use the respective weapon when doing a switch skill quest? Also, I only have quests for a few of the weapons; when do I get the rest?

You can use whatever you want for those, and the rest of them are in the next tiers of HR hub.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Your Computer posted:

so how exactly do the charms work in this one

I don't understand it at all

The first tip is to not even bother with melding charms until you're at endgame and the final two options for melding unlock, as that's where you'll get the better charms.

As for how they work, it's purely random. Throw your excess monster materials (or excess charms for the last melding option) into the grinder and hope RNG provides you with something good.

and if you're wondering if there's some way to upgrade them like in World, there isn't.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Oreides88/status/1373994542249041920

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 30, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Can't believe I'm having a hard time keeping honey in stock in this game.

Get three buddies to level 30 ASAP through the Dojo. The level 30 bargaining option gives you WAY more items.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Inzombiac posted:

I keep messing up when capturing monsters.

I wait until they are all hosed up and go take a nap, place a pitfall trap bear them with some sleepy meat and they fall in but it doesn't count as a capture, they just thrash.

You need to use tranqs, not sleep meat.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Further dumbass questions from the MH n00b. Is it generally better to wear all my armor from a single set for the resistance bonus, or to mix and match?

If you're just starting out then it's fine to wear a full set, but eventually you're gonna get into mixed sets anyway since that's how you become the most efficient with getting skills you want.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlancoNino posted:

I tend to stick to full sets because fashion is important to me, maybe it isn't optimal but clown suits are for the circus and bad birthday parties

That's what layered armor/weapons are for, and hopefully they come back sooner than later in Rise.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mailer posted:

Rise might be worse but it's pretty hard to imagine.

People have already done the math. It's MUCH worse.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DrHammond posted:

I haven't deep dived this topic, but isn't that presuming your aiming for a specific talisman stat combo? Like, if you want THE BIS talisman, yeah it's a one in a million grind, but you'll get access to functional talismans much easier than you ever got that Attack Deco in world.

Well eventually people are gonna want that specific talisman stat combo. Yeah you can get plenty of functional talismans, but you could make the same argument that it was way easier to get the "functional" decos in MHW while the "meta" ones required way more of a grind.

I just see it as we've traded one evil for a far worse evil.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Qubee posted:

Oh so there's no target lock in the game? I thought I was doing something wrong cause I can't even solidly hit at where they are lol, let alone where they're going to be. I'll be pointing at them then my blade hits just off to one side, it's like I gotta faff about with the perfect camera angle to hit where I'm actually intending.

There is an option for target lock, but you can't lock onto specific body parts if that's what you're hoping for. What weapon are you using exactly, cause it sound like you're using Great Sword and you're unintentionally adjusting your angle mid-charge and missing hits as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Qubee posted:

I'm using the Katana. I was in the training area for a good 40 minutes trying out all the weapons, I liked the Buster and Katana most and settled on glorious Nippon steel, folded over 1000 times. I had about 20 minutes learning the combos and getting a feel for it. I guess I gotta just git gud. Right now I just avoid using overhead strikes and thrusts, and instead use the sweeping attacks.

Sounds like you just need to learn better directional precision with the analog stick. I would suggest going to the training area and practice hitting the same spot on the dummy with the overheads/thrusts until you got a good feel for it.