Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Rise is the first monster hunter game I have played and I am absolutely hooked. At this point I've put about 160 hours into it. I've been thinking about dabbling in World on the pc but I would like to get it on sale. Unfortunately the base game isn't on steam sale but Iceborne is. I was thinking about picking up Iceborne now while its on sale and waiting for world to go on sale. My concern though is that I might not like World and investing in the xpac before trying the base game increases the entry point cost. Should I just pull the trigger on getting Iceborne on sale or just wait and get base world on sale to make sure I like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

Yeah, I think they're saying they want to play it and Iceborne is on sale but base World is not. So is it silly to buy the xpac on sale then wait on World base to go on sale so they have both but pay sale price on both.

To which I say, yes, that is silly. Just wait for base, buy base, play base, then make a decision re: Iceborne.

Correct, this is what I was asking. Thanks everyone for the input.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yep, for every game I've played I have ten half-price bargains I barely touched.
This is the sad truth for me too.

EDIT: Tricked into buying it because of the below mentioned pack!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Steam has the Iceborne Master Edition on sale which is World and Iceborne for $35.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/13013/Monster_Hunter_World_Iceborne_Master_Edition/

Nice catch, thank you!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
Just starting World and from what I can tell the Defender gear is a catchup mechanic to get players to Iceborne. Should I skip using it and enjoy the game naturally. I plan on mostly playing solo.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

That is exactly what the Defender gear is. If you want to play World the way it was intended to be played, don't use it. It'll still be there if you decide you want to rush Iceborne.

While Rise is my first Monster Hunter game I feel pretty comfortable with most of the systems even if World is slightly different. I'll skip it for now unless I want to rush to end game. I did just realize though that they start you with some 50 defense armor pieces by default called guardian gear. They really want you to skip the base game I guess.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Saxophone posted:

Ok but the core gameplay loop is that we kill monsters and make armor from their parts, so if we, as monsters, kill humans and make armor from their flesh...

And just like that Mon Hun is survival horror

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Drugs don’t expire on carting on quests any more. They do on expeditions, though.

What buffing consumables last the entire hunt? Embarrassed to say that i'm HR 60ish and I don't know much about consumable buffs.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Demon/Armor drugs last the entire hunt (did not know they last after carting now useful to know ty). As do dango buffs (unless they wear off like Booster).

Might seeds, adamant seeds, hardshell podwer, armor powder all last 3 minutes and stack with each other.

Butterflames (the attack up endemic life butterflies) give you +25 attack for one minute. Does not stack with seeds. These are pretty much might pills (which are not in Rise), tho they last longer.

Thank you for the detailed list. Sounds like I need to start using the submarines for demondrug and armorskin.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

The icons for demondrug/armorskin disappear after carting, so I'm pretty sure the buffs go away. You can just bring extra drugs with you or hit up your tent for more if you need them.

As long as they aren't a limited duration buff then I am ok with re potting after carting. Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I think 3-2-1 is the best across the board you can get, (like, I think 2-2-2 is not possible?) but depending on the skills, the best you can do in some cases is 3-1-1.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iBgTZttW-ECbRUy_9zm_FFuiQbi9LT93KuY-2iK5t_g/edit#gid=0

See the other tab at the bottom.

Interesting according to that chart my QS 2, WEx 1, 2-0-0, should not be possible with moonbow. Am I miss reading that chart?