Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Rise is so close!

Can we get a sound off on what weapon everyone is going to be starting with? Big CB main here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm not big into gunning but I hope that sticky LBG is still good in Rise. I enjoyed how easy and mindless it was in Iceborne for fights that are otherwise frustrating

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

What QoL stuff is Rise going to be missing, are there some bad old things I'm gonna be remembering soon?

(e) not posting a weapon i believe superior, i love all my sharp hunks of monster bits welded together

Singleplayer and multiplayer progression being separate is the only big one I can think of. Coming from PC World going back to 1080p 30fps is an adjustment as well, though I know that doesn't bother everyone

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Huxley posted:

Added to the reserved post and also added some links.

If anyone else has suggestions for links shout them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yaulzmEF-w

recency bias from the demo but drat I love this theme

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lol this is cool

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That can't be monster hunter, hitboxes are too good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

oof, review just mentioned that endgame lacks elder dragons and tempered monsters. That kinda stings but I hope post game stuff are the first things they add in the content updates. Sounds like the game kinda ends after the last quest and there's not much else to do.

still super excited tho and Im confident that Capcom can add to the game and really make it something special. Any word on what the first few updates will be?

idk who is going to mourn the loss of tempered mons but the lack of elder dragons is weird

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
interesting hypothesis but the guiding lands were good

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

wait, I thought CB's savage axe mode was gone?

We just thought it was for awhile because it wasn't in the demo but its back in the form of a switch skill

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

switch skill? you mean the wirebug actions?

You get to pick two wirebug moves and one switch skill move, which replaces one part of a weapon's moveset with another. I could be wrong but for CB I think you give up charged sword for savage axe

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ketchup vs catsup posted:

when this comes out is MHW gonna be dead? I played the poo poo out of it at release but only just got Iceborne

Since Rise is switch exclusive righ now and World is on everything but switch I'm gonna say no

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Huxley posted:

Goons, please listen to me. I know it hurts to hear.

Just go to bed.

Absolutely not

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:f5:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still not letting me in, it's 12AM PST isn't it :negative:

Welp the dream is dead, gnight folks... but maybe if I just try it one more time...

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
ty for the timely announcement capcom

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

v1ld posted:

Soon as I get through a couple more meetings!

I have no idea when/how you get the switchable moves though - do you have to earn those through quests? Or do you have them all at the start?

Going to :finewine: my way through this game, this is only my 3rd new MonHun game. LR village to LR hub to HR village to HR hub is hopefully a good progression like it was in GU. Don't want to get too OP for village.

Saw this table on the mh dataminer guy's twitter. Seems useful, maybe should go in the OP?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Very happy to hear about the IG stuff. Not a weapon I'd start with but definitely one of my favorites to switch to late game

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
LR monhun is so chill coming off of super late G rank.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kilazar posted:

I am having trouble seeing the benefit of spinning axe on the cb. I have spent a ton of time testing on the dummy and the only attack that reports multi hits, is the initial change to spinning axe. After that even with the axe spinning, only one hit seems to be occuring.

Am I missing something?

You need to hold the buttons during the attack animations to get the spins

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kilazar posted:

Difference from the mayflash? I am looking for a converter myself and was about to pull the trigger on the mayflash.

Also more CB talk. Is there any drawback to the counter morph slash? I am not really catching the difference in terms of actual performance. Between the two. The way they read it sounds like it is a never not use the morph counter skill over the normal skill cause it does the same thing but with a better discharge after counter.

So why would you not use morph counter skill.

It's a longer animation but a better guard point basically. I think it's probably better than the default move overall but that's the tradeoff

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Magnamalo is such a fun fight with CB, so many counter saed opportunities.

victrix posted:

I was going to do charge blade but I forgot how miserable it is without duration extenders and amplifiers coming from late game iceborne...

sooooo I'm back on switch axe, the laziest of weapons. sharpness? hit zones? pfft sword go brrrrrrrr

I'll probably try cb again when I can make an armor set to support it

I'm not finding it to be bad thanks to the counter phial fill up. I don't think I'd even get focus at all and cap boost (load shells) seems not worth either anymore

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 27, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Relatedly, do monsters go to sleep when injured? I haven't seen it but maybe I need to hang further back when they retreat

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still early on granted so maybe I just haven’t encountered them yet

Yeah the low star monsters either don't roar or their roars don't stun.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Done a few HR rampages now and my thoughts on the mode are pretty much what I expected: I like it, it's fun and wild, but I don't want to grind it too hard and I'm gonna get mad when there are parts I want locked behind it. Also to echo what others have said, it's insane how stable the frame rate stays during that whole mess

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

What do they do if you have it on Monster Hunter language?

Male VA making very dramatic noises

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

singateco posted:

I'm gonna go against the thread consensus and say World is better than Rise. I haven't beat the game yet, I'm on Hub 6*, but from what I heard, nothing drastic happen from this point.

Rise had more monsters than launch World yet everything felt much, much smaller. Which is weird, because even the maps aren't any smaller. I guess World did the better job showing you the treadmill and did the progression better, while Rise just lets you kill mons for hours with nothing really happening. (I guess what I'm really saying is I miss the cutscenes???)

While I like the wirebug, I don't like that jumping from ledge and sliding is basically dead. Monster riding is cool, but riding wasn't the cool part. It was using the environment to get a stun. That thing's gone now.

Speaking of environment, with the wirebug and fewer map gimmicks, battles feel flatter now. You really don't have to think about the map while fighting when you can fly at 80km/h.

I dunno, maybe it's because I remember Iceborne fondly and can't really remember vanilla World.

Rise is cool game though.

I really, really like World so I feel you but I think Rise definitely edges out World at launch. With Iceborne and all the content updates World is a more full featured experience but Rise + G rank expansion on PC has potential to knock it out of the park. Also it's the honeymoon phase right now so aspects of Rise that seem cool might end up being annoying in time, like Iceborne and the clutch claw.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

The Magnamalo armor skill is really cool...

What's it do exactly?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

stev posted:

And I miss getting an automatic Arena quest every time you captured a new monster. It felt like part of the fun of trying to capture it first time.

drat I had forgotten about this and now I miss it too

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

almudron is genuinely one of the coolest loving designs they've done in the past few games

cool design but I hate the fight. loving mud mons are all bad

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Decorations are craftable this time around, right?

I don't know if anyone's gotten to the point of digging into that, but how much of a grind is it, out of curiosity? I watched a couple of high rank hunt videos and noticed that Attack Boost gems seem to be back, but the idea that I can craft them instead of having to pray for a lucky drop sounds a lot better.

You'll need alots of HR mats, but doesn't seem that bad since you'll only need a relatively small amount of decos. Attack and crit eye are level 2 decos now so you won't just be slapping them on everywhere

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

I guess the question is: is it better than World? That's my only real point of comparison and I know the decoration RNG is definitely what burned me out (to the degree that I didn't really come back for Iceborne).

I think its going to depend on how much you desire a godlike charm. The range of efficiency of a charm is huge but if you're okay with merely a decent one then that should be a lot less frustrating. The real time sink will be making decent charms for multiple builds (rip gunners)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Wildtortilla posted:

Are skills activated the same waythey were in GU? Meaning, if I remember it correctly, you had to have a specific number of a skill to activate it. Like 2 points for attack up did nothing, but 3 points activated it.

No they're like World

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo the Nargacuga insect glaive has innate 40% affinity :eyepop: I already have Critical Eye 7 on my gear so that'd be 80% affinity

Now the question is if the downgrade in kinsect level and raw damage from the Magnamalo glaive I'm currently using is worth it. I'm bad at this kind of math :v:

40% affinity is an average of 10% more damage without crit boost so probably not

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a point in Rise where you can color your armor freely like you could in World? Gotta get my fashion on.

Yeah but I forget when it unlocks. Somewhere around late village, early hub

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hearing that people think Rise is too easy just keeps getting funnier as my rando groups keep wiping to poo poo like anja

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The coolest part about the HH changes is that there is always one in my hunting parties now.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kilazar posted:

HUD question.

I use CB, and last night while in the lava map I noticed after morphing into a full phial and already red shield spin mode, that I had two extra progress bars above my health. One was full and one was half full. Wondering what those were. Cause as far as I could tell when going to training mode, nothing I could think of with the CB was initiating any new bars to appear. And I have not scene them since.

Also, if we have any advanced CB users in here, every once in a while while spinning the savage axe, I'll initiate a full phial SAED, and stay in axe mode. I can't reliably do it. Do you know the condition to do that?

The bar above your health bar comes from picking up endemic life out in the field. I think its lantern bugs that give you a little bit of damage block and monsters get hurt when they hit you.

I have also done SAEDs that don't put me back into sword mode and what I've been assuming is happening is that a teammate hits your during the morph animation so it cancels it. That's the only reason I can work out so if you're playing solo idk what to tell you but if you figure it out let me know

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zore posted:

Uh, anyone know what it takes to make Khezu's Insect Glaive craftable? I've killed it a bunch and have all its drops plus I'm a full village tier higher and have the next tier of ore and stuff.

There is no khezu IG

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's weird for them to do. Its not on kiranico at all

e: regarding the khezu ig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh wait it is, its just the only khezu weapon without "khezu" in the name. my bad