Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I have mained Insect Glaive since 4U and I will be damned if I give up on it now even if it does seem to be getting worse and having more of its identity stripped away with each new game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God I am so rusty I went down to Mizustune in the demo:negative:. I was so good at styling on her in Generations. I think fighting without aerial style is throwing me because I am so used to dodging certain moves by just leaping into her and uh that's not really a thing with the normal IG jump.

Also I still hate that they give you like tier 1 trash Kinsects for every demo. Getting extracts should not be this much of a pain in the rear end!

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 23, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Yami Fenrir posted:

I really find it interesting how Lance is still consistently so low despite basically trivializing 90% of monsters in World.

Most people don't like watch guides and Lance is pretty unintuitive and looks boring compared to stuff like the Charge Blade etc would be my guess.

I know when I first started playing in 3U I had no idea how the gently caress to play Lance. It just felt so goddamn slow and awkward and I could never hit the monster since I was constantly chasing them.

Also the Gunlance exists and lol if you think I would ever choose something called 'lance' over 'gunlance' in a videogame.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

The problem is that lance really lacks a big "OOMPH" attack, along with the misconception that lance is a slow, immobile weapon. People just find the weapon too boring.

HH is still "mid-tier", but it absolutely got gutted in its motion values.

Were there any other major changes from the demo beyond HH getting nerfed into the ground?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Is there any detail as to how capturing and rewards work in this game yet?

Are we looking at World's little to no difference between the two, or the older games' and their definite split is chances?

I admit to being a "capture only" man in World.

The log book now gives a full percentage breakdown of how to get all drops and exactly what contributes to it!

All the info is in game clearly now. Its some kind of weird Capcom miracle.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean I hardly whipped a 180. My impressions of it in World when I tried it was that it was a slower and clunkier hammer that had the added baggage of also needing to worry about playing songs so I could "pull my weight" on hunts.

It's not like HH didn't need the rework either if we want to go off of weapon usage.

Genuine question for the vets: When was the last time a weapon got as much hype surrounding it like Rise HH has gotten? Was there a similar reaction from the community when Great Sword got the ability to charge, for example?

I mean the Great Sword got the ability to charge way back when internet communities were smaller so its a really different thing from the modern ecosystem.

You probably saw some of the same hype surrounding Insect Glaive when it was introduced in 4 (and broken as gently caress). Or when Charge Blade got its upgrades in 4U and Generations and it actually became a good weapon instead of its sort of hobbled initial form

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Ya know, I think the introduction of Palicos as partners for hunts (DOES anyone remember what the thing from MH3 was named?) is probably the best thing the series has introduced. Both for aesthetic reasons (ITS A KITTY) and practical (Its provides another pair of hands and, at worst, gives a distraction for you to take advantage of)

They were Shakalakas. The one you had for most of the game was Cha-Cha, and Kayamba was the one they added for the G rank stuff in 3 Ultimate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

IG is a lot of fun but I avoid it as a first weapon because you don't actually wind up learning any monster attack patterns.

??? You absolutely do need to with IG if for no other reason than knowing when/how to grab various extracts so you aren't constantly whiffing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So Kinsect upgrading seems to be out, you just buy new kinsects at the blacksmith as you get to higher levels.

Also you get the speed ones with triple up plus at 3 star village

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PageMaster posted:

Just started this and not really a MH vet. I went through the hundred different control settings in the options and was wondering if there are some general ones that people recommend setting certain ways since I'm not sure what some of these even are yet?

Turn auto sheathe off. Rest are mostly to taste

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
All the other IG players, how do you feel about the alternate skills. I just unlocked the replacement for the strong ground attack and Im really not sure if I like it or not. It eats ground and makes you even more stupidly mobile plus extra mounting damage but it seems to do a ton less damage overall and I feel like a clown just sliding everywhere

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Insect glaive users:

Tornado Slash or Tetraseal Slash? I feel like Tetraseal has potential but it feels weird being rooted in place for such a long animation, especially with the insect glaive.

I hate Tetraseal Slash but that seems to mostly be because it fucks with my muscle memory. Being stuck absolutely suuuuuucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Uh, anyone know what it takes to make Khezu's Insect Glaive craftable? I've killed it a bunch and have all its drops plus I'm a full village tier higher and have the next tier of ore and stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

There is no khezu IG

Wasn't it the one in the demo? I swear that was the model it had in Generations

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Are you killing the right rank khezu? I don't know how accurate the wiki is at the moment but it looks like it's the HR khezu parts you're after.

Why would they make it HR exclusive :psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Can anyone explain how the hunting helpers/helper cage mechanic is supposed to work

Some give passive buffs and some basically give you a one shot item that goes on your item bar to be used like any other item. Like if you pick up an antidocobra its basically like having an extra antidote

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

T1g4h posted:

I definitely don't remember it doing that in base World, or if it did it sure as hell wasn't as noticeable. I remember dicking around in Expeditions for what felt like ages with no issue :shrug:

Ir was absolutely like that in base world

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Social Animal posted:

Should I be buying these charms? There’s power and armor and they are pricey!

Yes, absolutely. You'll need two of each eventually since one of the HR monsters drops a part that'll let you craft them into better versions and those stack with the un-upgraded version.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, monsters having ridiculously vertical hitboxes is absolutely cramping my IG style since you can't like jump over a ton of stuff anymore and it suuuucks. I thought I might have just been rusty when Mizutsune was bodying me in the demo but everyone now can just whack you out of the air with a ton more attacks and it loving blows

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I keep messing up when capturing monsters.

I wait until they are all hosed up and go take a nap, place a pitfall trap bear them with some sleepy meat and they fall in but it doesn't count as a capture, they just thrash.

You need tranquilizer bombs or coating/shots.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I also think IG is one of the easiest weapons to pick up personally. The only remotely complicated part is making sure to always have red extract and where to grab it from a monster.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

I was enjoying Tetraseal Slash on the IG but now that I'm getting further into HR, I've slipped back into the comfortable embrace of Tornado Slash. I just can't let go of that extra mobility. Tetraseal roots you in place for what feels like an eternity (from an IG perspective, of course).

What I can't quite figure out is whether I like Leaping Slash or Advancing Roundslash more. Advancing Roundslash is cool as hell, and with the buffed aerial damage, a counter that launches you into the air is extremely nice. But Leaping Slash is a big, strong vertical swing that is very useful for chopping tails (and smoothly leads into Tornado Slash). It's entirely possible that I like Advancing Roundslash in theory more than I do in practice--I'm okay at landing the counter but not amazing, and even if I could land it with total consistency I'm still not entirely sure if it's worth trading away the sheer mundane utility of Leaping Slash.

Yeah, this sort of mirrors my experience with them. They seem fine but I keep falling back to the default moves because the IG's kit is just incredibly solid and switching out two moves makes the whole thing flow really weirdly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

You can't change a palico's class, right?

I'm wishing I'd picked a gathering palico instead of a healing one at the start and while I know I can just grab a scouted palico, my starting one is my good buddy and I don't want to bench him if I don't have to :v:

Nope. You can always just scout a new one with an identical look and rename them once hired to simulate it though :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yes, though they keep not including it in new games and then adding it in later for some reason. Most recently, MH World launched with only a couple of layered armor options and later patched in some more, before finally adding the ability to make layered versions of normal armor sets in the Iceborne expansion. Looks like Rise might follow a similar trajectory.

I don't really understand why the delay. The armor skins are there. The layered armor system is there. I don't really know why it takes until an expansion to go "okay you can use the armor skins we already made with the layered armor system we also already made."

The same reason they lock recoloring armor to High Rank, they want to make it part of the endgame grind to keep up engagement for as long as possible

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's the only confirmed returning Elder, but they've also said it's coming with multiple new monsters (so at least two others).

I'm expecting Teo and Kush, but it is weird there are so many juvenile monsters in this game that don't have a returning adult form. C'mon, Capcom. Gimme that Zamtrios!

Bulldrome, Great Jaggi, Great Jagras, Zamtrios, and Agnaktor. Bullfangos without drome are almost tradition at this point and I get just porting Jagras from World but its super weird they recreated both little Jaggis without putting in Great Jaggi. Especially since we have Great Baggi and Wroggi?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

i could see them throwing in more Great Whatevers but chances are they're just going to be tossed in with other, more notable monsters because they sure as hell aren't going to be the showcase for a title update

Oh agreed, I'm just baffled why they put in Jaggis and Jaggia without it.

Zamtrios and Agnaktor are pretty safe bets for 'others' thrown into the G rank update like how Yian Garuga got put in Iceborne. I'm also really hopeful for Astalos and Gammoth :pray:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Reiley posted:

New monsters Royal Kelbi and little Khezling introduced in controversial new patch.

3U's Khezu equivalent Gigginox had tiny Giggis and they were the worst little bloodsuckers and would latch on like leeches to bleed you dry.

Also we already have a Great Kelbi/Kelbidrome :colbert: Kirin

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
This is my returning monster wishlist for Rise

Astalos
Gammoth
Seregios
Lagiacrus
Gore Magala
Nerscylla
Seltas
Deviljho
Brachydios
Najarala
Qurupeco
Odogaron
Radobaan
Urugaan
Bazelguese

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Farg posted:

yo where the gently caress do i get a bullfango head

They're wandering around in the abandoned houses in the shrine ruins. The big pigs just kill and carve em.

Collector cats can also steal them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Farg posted:

low or high rank?

I know they definitely drop in LR since I built up a stock there. Not sure if they do in HR

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alxprit posted:

Generations also didn't have any subspecies, and it was better for it. They cordoned all the palette swaps to the deviant section where you could rightfully ignore them.

They had a few; Raging Brachy, Furious Rajang, Savage Jho and the traditional Gold/Silver Rath combo

Also arguably Chaotic Gore though thats sort of its own thing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah we've talked a lot about monsters we want to see returned, what are people's favorite new ones?

I personally love Goss Harag

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I hate Mitzu because it always seems like it never has enough HP for you to get both the tail cut and the claw breaks.

And you need so many of its loving claws its annoying.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Orange Crush Rush posted:

funny thing is I find Tigrex and Diablos a bit easier then Narga

I always clown on Narga while Diablos is usually the first monster that causes me to triple cart on every new MH game. Narga doesn't really hit that hard while Diablos hits like a trucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Do any of the fan designs ever make it into other games or is the Rocket GS gonna be World exclusive?

I dunno if they did any fan designs before World.

Also I remembered this recently

https://www.siliconera.com/monster-hunter-generations-almost-two-new-weapons/

Looks like they basically recycled most of the ideas they had for the Hunting Hound weapon into the Palamute in Rise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wirebugs are so fun and central to how I get around. I'm really surprised to hear that they're a new feature.

The series has done some pretty radical reimagining of base features over time. Like Monster Hunter Tri/3Ultimate had a whole fleshed out underwater combat with some monsters that were uniquely fought only underwater and some that had amphibious phases.

Also there was literally no verticality in maps until 4U and no connected world map until World so it was a lot faster to get around since each map had between 10-17 areas of 'greatest hits' to fight in analogous to the places monsters will retreat to in Rise.

Like take a look at Flooded Forest during its first appearance in 3U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-75HB6Eebo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, IG being able to cover massive distances in the air and jump over all Almudrons mud bullshit really shines during that fight. Its one of the few where IG actually still has a mobility edge since Wirebugs are good enough for most other fights but don't quite cut it vs Almudron

Also from playing around with them, Gathering Cats are far and away the best Palicos.

Endemic Life Barrage is a free stun or sleep every hunt and easily the best tier 1 skill. Pilfer cuts down a ton of grind and gives you so much extra money and materials its ridiculous.

And on top of that you can still get them set up with the best healing move (healing bubble), a shock trap and Summeown Endemic Life for extra wirebugs.

I don't think you can actually build a better cat than that. Passives seem mostly irrelevant this go around except maybe stun/sleep/roar resistance so they can knock you out of them?

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 12, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I hear people talk about summon endemic life a lot. What exactly does it do? I'm guilty of being too distracted to notice what my buddy's abilities do half the time.

From my experience it mostly just gets you a free wirebug spawn. And being able to keep up 3 wirebugs through a whole hunt is really powerful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The premiere raw IG is Rise is the Narga one. I used mostly that or the Magnamalo one because I love blast.

But yeah if you aren't lazy you can do good elemental sets for IG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What's the recommend kinsect for rise or a good starting HR IG?

Carnage Beetle/Monarch Alucanid for that sweet double essence (attack). Before that use the Gullshad or Windchopper if they haven't unlocked.