Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
So HR Mizutsune is a gear check, huh? I don't want to solo it but I might have to.

Is there an elemental resistance I should aim for for Mizu? Is it Water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My favorite part of this thread and this game is how everyone comes in here and describes a weapon as gloriously overpowered and how much they love it and its changes. :unsmith:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

mdct posted:

It's loving terrible. It's not even got good action in it despite Donnie Yen, who also never actually gets to say a real sentence in the entire movie. It's not even good military propaganda because they all die and like, quick. It somehow has product placement and some awful white savior poo poo, too.
It disrespects pretty much every aspect of the series.

This is from two pages back but loving lol. It was Tony Jaa. I know they're both Asian martial artists/actors, but come on.

Also the movie was pretty bad. The parts that were clearly filmed by the B-Unit and not the A-Paul-W-S-Anderson-"That's-My-Wife"-Unit were really entertaining and goofy, and they really made me want an over-the-top, live-action-anime-style Monster Hunter movie, instead of the phoned-in crap we got. It was also needlessly gory in that all the military folks from the beginning of the film die in horrible ways, when they could have just been left behind in our world to let Milla Jovovich's character be ~special~ and do wild monhun stuff.

The palico scenes were lovingly rendered, as were the monsters themselves, at least.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

chumbler posted:

How many of you fully bird up before reaching the target monster? I'm honestly kind of lazy about it and just pick up whatever is along the main road or the most direct shortcuts, and then just whatever I run into when the monster moves. The bird gathering is one thing I'm not too fond of, though I do get their value for sign posting. If they didn't have the attack birds I might mind it less.

I always run with a palico in multiplayer so I'm always wirebugging my way around, and since I go more vertical than my doggo-riding counterparts I tend to meander around grabbing birds on the way. I'd really like to come up with some standardized routes the way gaijin hunter apparently did, but I really enjoy the wirebug mechanics and the verticality of the spaces so I don't mind being slower.

Here's the video for his Demon Petalace III routes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Ch4Oqn8Ec

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I really thought I was going to hate wyvern riding when I was playing the demo. Now I'm looking to fit a Rodeo deco into every build because I just want to smash monsters into each other over and over.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dyz posted:

Is there a place in Rise where you can see the monster you just captured, like in MHW?

Yeah, there's a smithy in town named Hamon, he'll help you out. :v:

(No, sadly, there's no display spot for your last captured monster. Kamura's not doing research the way Astera is. It's kind of a bummer, I really liked that detail in World.)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My palico manages to put the monster to sleep almost every hunt, and I think I've had one single hunt where everyone actually stopped attacking, placed bombs, and did a proper wake-up. Every other hunt where the monster sleeps, either from status or from limping away to their nest, no one stops attacking, or someone just runs up and smacks the monster awake with some piddly attack.

In World and IB on PC, it was rare to have folks not do a proper wake-up--everyone seemed to pay attention enough to stop for a couple seconds and assess the situation. Was this just because the game had been around a long enough time vs. Rise still being fairly new, or has sleep-bombing etiquette just gone out the window completely for some other reason?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Huh, just had a weird Apex Mizutsune hunt where someone grabbed and rode a Barioth into the Apex Mizutsune and pretty much insta-gibbed it? I was collecting spiribirds since it was the start of the hunt I initiated, so I missed the action but came in just as the monster exhausted and died.

I don't know if it was a fluke, or an exploit someone was taking advantage of, or what, but it was very odd. If I hadn't initiated the quest I would have thought I just came in towards the end, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Anyone else have that happen?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I’ve noticed this more and more too, with Japanese players.

If you're playing during NA east-coast peak times, then some poor salaryman is probably moving his character into position between ironing portions of his shirt. He's just trying not to burn a hole in his collar while getting in a morning hunt, have some respect!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let's see them guild cards!

Hell yes, I love guild cards. Bonus Palico because I love Dr. Peppurr in the black mage costume:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Though there are more than a couple of shitheads who change their teammate carted message from "Don't sweat it!" to "GO BACK TO LR" or "USE POTIONS SCRUB" and they can just walk right into traffic.

Mine's been, "Tip your cart felynes!" since World. Those cats work hard, they deserve some recognition.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also, the Utsushi Mask S still isn’t showing up on my crafting list...so frustrating. Any suggestions?

Are you playing character type 2? If so then the set is called "Channeler's" and is modeled off of Hinoa's/Minoto's outfits.

The headpiece's crafting requirements, regardless of character type, are:

Kamura Ticket x2 (gained randomly from doing Village quests)
Anjanath Fang+ x2 (HR Anjanath)
Monster Hardbone x1 (bonepiles? or HR monsters)
Gracium x2 (HR crystal mining nodes)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
SnS really opens up when you utilize its ability to use items without sheathing. I mained SnS in world as a utility/wide-range support, and ended up building something similar with my Hi Ninja Sword set in Rise.

I also love flash bombs and hate fliers/fleeing monsters, and these mesh nicely together. I can never get flashes off quickly enough with other weapons.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I know multiplayer hunts are always more unpredictable, but as a solid melee player, nothing annoys me more than bowgun users who force me to chase down the monster and make it way more difficult to figure out the monster's movements.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Achmed Jones posted:

lol, I can't even pull off guard pointing a roar. i haven't even _tried_ to gp a bomb

thanks for the advice, everyone!

SnS - For large and mega barrel bombs: with your weapon out (out is very important), place the bomb, then hold guard and press A to do the guard swipe attack with a guard point (blue aura). Then spam the input for Metsu Shoryugeku and you should be golden.

Metsu's guard point is front-only, so the explosion has to happen directly in front of you.

Reddit links:

Another explanation here.

Here's a nice video and rundown of some other barrel bomb tricks.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I loathe bullet hell games and mechanics, but I actually really enjoyed the last boss. Got it on my first try solo playing very defensively, took me nearly 30mins, the end of which saw my Palico landing the last hit while I was off drinking a potion.

Valstrax is a ridiculously fun fight and it's like facing off against a giant, living gunlance. Its armor set looks fun and possibly like you'd never take serious damage ever again with it fully upgraded.

They did Valstrax's gunlance dirty, though. Long level 4. Oof.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Deified Data posted:

What's the point of the echo mode switch skill when magnificent trio is a thing?

You only need one note to trigger song effects with ZR, and the ZR attack turns from the i-frame breakdance into a really quick and satisfying golf swing/overhead strike that hits monster heads really easily.

After playing extensively with both Performance (ZR breakdance) and Echo (ZR golf swing) modes, they both feel like they have their place, and personally I prefer Echo mode. I played a lot of Hunting Horn in World and enjoyed the nuance of being able to whip out any specific attack at virtually any time for whatever the situation demanded, and Echo mode feels closest to that style of play. Performance's ZR attack is nice and tanky but it's less mobile.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've been running with an exhaust phial Switch Axe for a bit, but I just read something that I need some confirmation on: are elder dragons immune to exhaust?

I'm gonna have to switch up my build if that's the case. :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Ethiser posted:

They are, but Exhaust is still nice because it charges up so fast and the explosions still do damage even if they don’t cause exhaust.

drat, thanks. I made a fairly comfy build with Conqueress that pushes it into white sharpness and keeps it there with Protective Polish, but I may switch to the Diablos one or something for elder dragons.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah the way that other person answered made me think those specific cosmetics were useful. Cool, I will ignore all paid DLC

Sticker packs make you a better hunter, hth

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I finished the Rajang arena fight with the lance last night after about five tries, and was reminded of my favorite Monster Hunter thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvEj-fCoNQ

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've Blast Dashed straight into a Valstrax Blast Dash so many times and lost every single one. That fight is so much fun.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Every video y'all post reminds me how I love watching Monster Hunter as much as playing it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I loved IG in World, but I struggle with it in Rise for the same reason I struggled with the clutch claw and ranged weapons in Iceborne: training my hands to remember the different aiming inputs.

IG is wild though. I always felt really slippery with SnS in World, but IG just cranked it up to max.

Also protip for getting better at IG: make sure you make yourself look like a bug, too, so your kinsect feels a certain... kinship.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Yeeeessss more stickers gimme gimme

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

lets hang out posted:

In the action bar menu hit whichever button is labeled communication settings at the bottom of the screen

To expand on this, the four stickers can be changed in the Communication Settings sub-menu to any shoutout/sticker/gesture/pose set. So it's more like "Communication Slot 1/2/3/4", whereas everything else can only be turned on/off or moved around.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

When you go to your item box in the village/hub and select "Manage Items" at the top, the bottom of the following list will be "Item Loadouts." You can save your current item pouch configuration like an equipment loadout for easy switching later. That way you don't have to manually Transfer Items every time.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Deified Data posted:

Dumb question but in Rise is it possible to remove the speech bubble from stickers if you just want to spam the sticker? It looks dumb with a blank bubble and translated shoutouts only apply to certain stickers I think

Nope, the speech bubble will always be there. If you don't want to write anything you could always just put a bunch of ♪ ♫ symbols or something similar using the Symbols keyboard.

Also handy, I made a sticker (with the DLC palamute being dragged along with a big "X" in the background) in English and Japanese that says "Capture/捕捉: X" to try to get the point across. If you want to try to match it up you can use the Japanese romaji input to type out "hosoku" and match the kanji that pops up.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Achmed Jones posted:

what's the significance of "X" here?

Capture/捕捉: ✕

vs.

Capture/捕捉: ○

Japanese folks tend to use ✕ and ○ for negative/positive. These emojis, for example: 🙅🙆

The equivalent for U.S. folks would be ✕ and ✓ for example.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 6, 2021

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

And Tyler Too! posted:

Hub mons are scaled up for multiplayer, they have more HP to compensate for 4 hunters wailing on them.

Yes, Hub mons have more HP BUT they also scale the HP (and other thresholds like status procs, but importantly not the damage the monster does) for 1, 2, 3, and 4 players in Rise, so soloing a Hub mon means way less of an HP bump than the massive HP bump from going at it with 4 hunters.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I love wirefall but drat do I miss Felyne Acrobat from World.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Human <--> Felyne
Wyverian <--> Palamute?

:thunk:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
SnS definitely felt like it shined in World multiplayer. My friend was always too busy managing charge blade combos, so I'd heal, flash bomb, and trap at a moment's notice. Rise, I don't feel the need as much since everyone has a quick sheathe with wirefall recovery.

It's still useful for on-demand flash bombs though.

But yeah, I feel way less inclined to be a toolbox and more of a beat stick in general in Rise and I haven't been able to put my finger on why. It might just be everyone's hyper mobility now? :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Mister Facetious posted:

So, I'm a newbie that's working their way through the story missions in MHR. I've unlocked a few sets of armor and weapons maining the two crossbows right now, and I just wanted to know: with the skills available to me, should I go with an Attack Boost 2, Critical Eye 2 build, or go with a Critical Eye 4 build and no Attack Boost?

Yes, I understand the damage is pathetic, and I'll probably end up replacing them by the time I hit five stars or whatever, but I'm fine with taking my time.

You'll probably get more mileage out of Attack Boost 2/Crit Eye 2 unless your bowguns have relatively high natural crit chance. But also... why not both? :getin:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Been getting back into World trying to finish some fights I never did when they came out before the PC release of Rise. I miss my wirebugs.

Anyone have any build advice for either SnS or HH for Alatreon other than "get a Kjarr/fully upgraded Safi weapon"? I'd rather have something to work towards rather than bashing my head against RNG.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I hit the 500-hour mark for World+Iceborne this past weekend, spread out over about two years.

I sunk 250 hours into Rise and that was base game over a few months.

Rise is good y'all.

I did just pick up MHGU though, but I'm not diving in just yet because I know that's 1000 hours of my life to look forward to.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

In Training posted:

whoa what's going on here. Am I just today learning by accident that the shoryu in Rise has a guard point??

https://twitter.com/In__Training/status/1474162419362451456?s=20

If I remember correctly it also makes your Metsu Shoryugeki stronger if you nail the guard point. It's such a satisfying switch skill.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Boba Pearl posted:

No-one else can see my Monster Hunter World mods right? Other then MHW Transmog I mean?

Don't worry, only you can see your hunter's shining, bare booty.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
When I was playing World with a 360 controller I was perfectly happy with the item bar being on the d-pad since I could reach it easily with my right thumb.

Once I switched to my 8bitdo controller with the Playstation-style setup I had to force myself to use the original controls and while it was awkward at first it feels so much better and faster than the D-Pad ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Get Protective Polish and never look back (especially not at your explosions).