Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's hosed up how they're catering to casuals, and furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

*car mechanic voice* well there's your problem

like a single monster in the guiding lands will poo poo out more than enough materials to make layered armor multiple times over, it's genuinely not that difficult when you can also just pretty much summon whatever you want at any time and don't even have to worry about carting

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

condolences on the inability to kill monsters in a game about killing monsters

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there are some drops you can only get from either capturing or killing, capturing isn't going to be strictly better in every single scenario

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DeathSandwich posted:

They were talking about it some in the pre-release video footage. For HH - you have a switch skill to go back to the old HH method of performing songs :catstare:

yeah that's a good thing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Aranan posted:

For the HH users who want the old style over the new style... can you explain why? Current style is "play two notes from bashing monsters and a song just happens" and the old style is "queue up notes to then later manually play a song by pushing a button". Seems like it's more work for no gain to me.

as someone who has mained the thing for multiple games, i like the methodical and paced gameplay of it and how you're stacking up things to unload on a monster. it's fun to work in various attacks in a combo and build up buffs that i can use, all while utilizing the actual recitals as attacks against the monster to deliver a bunch of K.O. damage. generally i enjoy weapons that have more direct, impactful moves instead of focusing on flipping around rapidly, and horn was always one of the more solid ways to pull that off and feel accomplished that you've learned the actual rhythm involved in pulling off combos. it was never an absurdly complicated thing and honestly was pretty easy to get into at a surface level, especially once song lists started getting displayed directly on the screen. once you get a feel for the weapon's moveset you can literally just stay underneath a monster's chin the entire time and conk it out repeatedly. it's like hammer but with longer reach that mostly just wants you to vary up the flow of your moves more.

it's mostly bizarre to see people whip a 180 and start making GBS threads on the 'old style' of horn and then find out that the good majority of them never even played the thing in the first place. the new style just feels kind of superfluous and pointless to a degree, to me, because it feels like there's not even really a middle ground going on. it's like they ripped out every aspect of what i enjoyed and swapped in something else. having brushed-up moves in themselves is fine, but also lumping in a system of 'yeah i dunno just hit the monster and songs happen i guess' starts begging the question of why even hitting the thing is needed since there will literally never be a point where everything isn't active. i don't know all the details of the alternate style for horn, but if it re-implements working in recitals to be able to use them against the monster then i'll be much happier and look forward to it more instead of mostly just feeling kind of weirdly depressed that the apparent solution for it not being played much was apparently to try and appeal to the people who aren't going to play it anyways because it's not longsword or whatever, and/or people who viewed it as too complicated when straight up at least half the weapons in the game have a more complex combat flow than horn does.

like i've always held that gunlance probably needs an actual touch-up because parts of it, like the shield, are just straight up pointless, and it always seems to devolve into people being mad that certain shelling types and levels aren't in a good place or whatever and that for some strategies to be maximized you have to actively ignore other aspects of the weapon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean I hardly whipped a 180. My impressions of it in World when I tried it was that it was a slower and clunkier hammer that had the added baggage of also needing to worry about playing songs so I could "pull my weight" on hunts.

It's not like HH didn't need the rework either if we want to go off of weapon usage.

Genuine question for the vets: When was the last time a weapon got as much hype surrounding it like Rise HH has gotten? Was there a similar reaction from the community when Great Sword got the ability to charge, for example?

i mean, condolences! your impression is not universal.

also it had a low usage rate because it's viewed as a 'support' weapon for some reason which is a stigma that has carried through all sorts of games in some form or another where a lot of people literally will never touch anything angled that way because they want to maximize on dps, which is something funny when it comes to monster hunter given that every single weapon does well in both solo and multiplayer content and isn't really lagging behind in damage at any point as long as you know how to use the thing. it's like how lance has a lower usage rate because a lot of people don't understand the core gameplay flow of the thing and think that it's mostly immobile and clunky.

a lot of the hype around the horn in rise was probably due to it seeming to have way jacked up stats, and given that it was apparently cracked in the knees pretty hard for release i'm imagining a lot of people are going to try it out again and be disillusioned because it's not automatically chain-stunning monsters again like it was in the demo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people are still playing mhgu and i doubt rise is going to magically take that away, either, so don't think there's any worry of one game replacing another

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i want a horn tag so i can continue to be the cranky grandparent yelling at people on their front lawn

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah i'm playing rise right now and there's only like 3 monsters and 1 of them is rathalos and another is azure rathalos

not sure on the third monster but i think it has wings and flies, too

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the traditional monster hunter way is to be slamming the fart bombs right in the monster's face when it's trapped

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Oxyclean posted:

It certainly seems that way, but one gripe I am finding myself with is it looks like village doesn't go as far as hub does; like if you want to do proper high rank, you need to do hub.

hub shouldn't be viewed as just some multi-only or extra thing, it's pretty much meant to be a natural extension of the overall game. the village stuff is like an extended tutorial in a way.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zurtilik posted:

My first time ever playing these games and honestly surprised by the lack of rolling and jumping. I'm told the wire bug is a new thing. Have you never been able to jump in these games before?

I accidentally hit too many buttons a lot and my guy just performs combos into the air while the enemies go wander off elsewhere. Is there a quicker way to put your weapons back up because its annoying waiting 10 seconds between each fight to skin everything.

press b to roll. jumping was a thing in earlier games but you had to do it off of a ledge to trigger it or use certain weapons.

press y to sheathe your weapon when you have it out. it's automatically sheathing after a time because you have that setting enabled by default but most people prefer doing it manually.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

iirc monhun rise launched with more monsters than world did at launch and given how maps seem less prone to make certain skeletons freak the hell out i can imagine we might be seeing rise with more monsters than world ever had once everything is said and done at the end of its update schedule

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh huh, could swear I tried that. I'll give it another shot next time I do a hunt.

iirc the thing with it is that you have to let it play for a couple seconds, so if you hit B right away then it doesn't skip

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

almudron is genuinely one of the coolest loving designs they've done in the past few games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the people saying the game is easy were probably going purely off of village quests, which are very much just an extended tutorial. not that the game is blisteringly hard, though, for anyone who has spent a lot of time with world and previous games before that. even beyond that it's not even remotely actually easier than other, equivalent, tiers in previous games.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wish they kept Deviant appearances too.

And called them Deviants instead of calling them Apex, which is different from 4U's Apex.

in this context 'apex' has a different symbol used for it in the japanese version than the frenzy virus apex and it mostly means the leader of a pack or something of that sort, which is fitting for the rampages. the frenzy virus apexes were called that because they overcame the virus and became the apex creature in their area due to the benefits it gave them.

deviants are mostly battle-scarred and older creatures that have had time to learn from battles and have possibly mutated/changed to accompany that fact. for rise they've incorporated some of the deviant moves for the rampage apex creatures because there's no reason not to since they did mhgu and probably wanted to carry some of those ideas forward.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also I know MH doesnt need a story but the characters are sooo good and likeable that I want more of them. Dango cat song

look, people were incapable of watching a cutscene for 30 seconds every now and then so now we get nothing

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I got the credits in village last night and noticed for the first time that Hinoa and Minoto only have four fingers on each hand :stare:

yeah they're wyverians

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're supposedly maybe distantly related to wyverns in a way as like a long-branching evolutionary path and are kinda like weird elves for the setting and have pointy ears, 4 fingers and toes on each limb and they basically live forever and will get smaller and more gremlin-ish looking over time as they get older. it's why 'first wyverians' and other old-timers are little gremlin weirdos.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wanna see more switch axe clips, the weapon for cool people who don't need or want to do any of this 'blocking' or 'counter' stuff

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i want to see some cool SA stuff because it feels like the cool cousin to CB

it's the cousin that lives in a part of the country where gas stations still sell discontinued flavors of mountain dew who sets off fireworks in the woods and has an almost worryingly large knife collection

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in rise there's a feature where you get extra elemental defenses for wearing matching armor pieces but other than that typically people build to stack up certain skills. it's usually not much of a concern until high rank, though, so don't sweat it way too much. make stuff that seems neat in the meanwhile. experiment. once you hit high rank all your old armor will be obsolete. weapons will scale with upgrades, though. just not armor.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the more i play it the more i'm convinced that rise's switch axe is probably one of the best implementations of it in the entire series. all of it's switch skill options add another layer to further emphasize what makes the weapon fun. the moveset swap that changes your running attack with one that has longer windup but an overhead slam with more damage that you can chain into a sword double slash feels chunky as hell to charge into fights with. the invincible gambit wirebug skill you start with lets you just yeet yourself right into combat and completely ignore literally everything that would normally stop you at the expense of still taking damage during it. you can just no-sell roars with it and crash right into their face if you time it well. the soaring wyvern blade(?) that you can swap for it lets you fling yourself into the air and jet yourself right into their mass to plant an explosive on them that can ignore armor gimmicks and hitzones while also charging up the sword form massively. the compressed discharge option makes it so you don't have to commit as hard and lets you chain into more combos while still making GBS threads out damage. other quality of life things like the new skill that enhances morph attack speed and damage and other little tweaks to the moveset just make it an absolute blast to play and there's honestly no aspect of it that feels clunky or janky.

i vastly prefer switch axe in rise even over GU where switch axe was notoriously busted as hell. it's dope as poo poo and i hope more people try out the purely actively aggressive morphing equivalent to the greatsword.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MMF Freeway posted:

Its very good yeah, the switch attacks with rapid morph 3 feel so fast and fluid and the great thing about spamming morph is that it has both an advancing attack version and a back step version so you have a way easier time repositioning during a string of attacks. I've been running with the air dive move and the compressed discharge for maximum phial uptime. I really like the air dive because it will mount a non-target mon in one use so I've been starting all my hunts that way. The compressed discharge is great but it knocks the poo poo out of teammates, I don't even think flinch free saves you

absolutely nothing saves someone from compressed discharge iirc but i consider it revenge for jackasses knocking me away from the tail or whatever else when i'm cranked up into a fury on the monster. if someone's gonna interrupt a greatsword or switch axe when they're in position to poo poo out their damage then they deserve to get launched.

and yeah the dive is absolutely just great as hell for instantly getting a ride on a non-target monster. the planted charge does so much damage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mightygerm posted:

I've been trying to get into switch axe but I can't figure out what this weapon's niche is. The morphing stuff and attacks are cool and all, but I don't really "get" what it is good at. It doesn't seem have any particularly standout options for mobility, defense, or utility compared to most classes. Sword mode having mind's eye is neat for breaking parts and stuff and you can pump damage if can get some long uninterrupted strings in, but it seems like most weapons can do that nowadays. And it seems like every class has a super armor or invincible silkbind now. What am I missing with this weapon? I want to like it.
(I mainly play GS, GL, and HH if that helps)

switch axe is about endless aggression and constantly picking moments to just beat the poo poo out of a monster. it's hyper-specced into being a glass cannon where your only options are to dodge out of the way of attacks by the skin of your teeth or use the occasional bit of hyperarmor to completely ignore knockback and take the damage because you know you're about to deal way more to them in return. anyone who says it's entirely about building up the sword gauge is a coward. you should always be chunking away at the monster with every tool at your disposal, because it's going to naturally fill up your gauge no matter what. morph attacks are easier than ever to pull off and you should be constantly working them in when you can. if you ever have to use recovery wirebugs after being hit then you should absolutely be slinging yourself right back into their face to break their nose in. it's dangerous as poo poo but that's straight up the playstyle it wants you to do. there is no blocking. there are no counters. you are a greatsword that cares less about finding one specific moment to hit and more about never letting up on the monster no matter what just through sheer persistence.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the cats literally do exist to be more useful as a whole in battle than the dogs, to be clear

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the sos system was genuinely one of the best things that world added and i'm glad rise carried it forward. i had a blast joining up into missions with horn in world and carrying entire teams back before it became a meme weapon

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

am I a jerk for kickin pubbies that cart twice in a hunt?

Lost count of how many times I had to do that in World

that's kind of a dickhead thing to do and i don't think anyone is going to back you up on it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Triarii posted:

The head is the highest damage hitzone for cutting weapons as well as blunt in almost all situations, so technically "everyone puts on flinch free and dogpiles the head" is better DPS than "everyone spreads out and targets a different part of the monster".

it's more that typically a bladed weapon should try to cut the tail off, a thing that something like the hammer literally can not do and as such they have a reason to prioritize the head at all times instead of some dipshit with a longsword or dual blades

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I mean I do that and we can have the tail off in like 2 minutes or less after that it’s hitting da head

look if they can get the tail off then it's fine, but i don't want to see them hogging the good real estate if it's still wiggling around!!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zore posted:

Bulldrome, Great Jaggi, Great Jagras, Zamtrios, and Agnaktor. Bullfangos without drome are almost tradition at this point and I get just porting Jagras from World but its super weird they recreated both little Jaggis without putting in Great Jaggi. Especially since we have Great Baggi and Wroggi?

i could see them throwing in more Great Whatevers but chances are they're just going to be tossed in with other, more notable monsters because they sure as hell aren't going to be the showcase for a title update

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given that the upcoming update this month has specified chameleos and another apex so far i could absolutely see some of the weaker monsters thrown in as an afterthought once they maybe announce one or two more 'notable' monsters

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of fun monsters they could add since the maps seem a bit friendlier to most skeletons. having leviathans in itself is a good sign. i want to see some crabs come back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's the difference between a subspecies and a variant? Are Azure and Pink Raths subspecies?

it literally doesn't matter despite what someone might try to say. they just kinda use whatever term.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

every single shiny drop you left on the ground was a plate or other, equivalent, rare drop

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the axe buff you can get with switch axe after doing a wild swing combo is so fun. basically getting another sharpness level tacked on feels so good and lets you just rip into so many monsters that would otherwise deflect you like crazy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tender Bender posted:

I liked New Hunting Horn at first but I think I'm starting to burn out on it, it just feels like something is missing. Losing the soft combos from following the different song setups, as well as the different directional performances and encores, and losing the little reward feeling of getting a song off, it feels kinda dull. I'm just swinging it around and not tracking or building toward anything else except the occasional infernal melody, and it's not really that satisfying.

yeah i tried giving it a chance but despite maining it for two whole games i just couldn't bring myself to really care for it in rise and at this point i earnestly hope the next game in the series doesn't carry it over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pollyanna posted:

I just realized that I am. :cripes: I’m a moron.

you're fighting the actual hp values for monsters in hub quests so you should probably get used to it. village quests have lowered hp.