Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

yep that’s some good hub music right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really appreciate the more convenient Forge/Upgrade Weapon menu at the blacksmith and that the armor in your inventory is neatly organized by set

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Retro42 posted:

I know some purists probably disagree, but I love the crafting mat requirement changes. I feel like I can build more than 1-2 weapon types without endless farming now.

anything that makes it easier to play around with different weapon types is great in my book.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

longsword is cool, especially for multiplayer when you're in close proximity with other players

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shine posted:

My one multiplayer session so far had a bunch of Longswords tripping the poo poo out of me. Gonna ignore random multiplayer until I get Flinch Free.

that just means they love you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What exactly dictates when new Switch Skills become available? After reaching 3* in the Village I got the tutorial about them and got the first switch skill for each weapon. Then almost immediately afterwards the dude wanted to talk to me again and gave me my 2nd switch skill for Longsword (the weapon I’ve been using the past few quests). How do I get him to give me the 2nd skill for my other weapons?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's the downside to the Feral Demon Mode switch skill, the one that makes your Dual Blades dodge deal damage? It can't just be a flat upgrade, right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they do a bunch of goofy Nintendo property cross-overs like they did with 4 and Generations

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh my god the Dual Blade’s kunai ability is so good

Veev posted:

Man the alternate Element Discharge for the Switch Axe is fun but it sends your entire party absolutely flying so I have no idea when I could even use it.
simply wait for the funniest possible moment to let it rip

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Reiley posted:

Here's another question: I got a talisman that grants the "leap of faith" ability, which it describes as increasing iframes (?) and dodge distance if you are facing and leap towards a large monster. There's a lot of little qualifiers here so I'm wondering if someone has experience with this skill that can help clear up what it does?
- Is it the same as the dodge distance modifier on e.g. the Wraggi cowboy hat?
- is it referring to the roll you do with your weapon drawn or the superman roll you do with the weapon sheathed?
- does it only work if you're facing a monster, i.e. it would work if you're facing but dodge sideways but not work if you are facing perpendicular and dodge forward across a monster's attack line?
- does it not work if you're rolling in any direction other than at the monster?

Thank you everyone who has patiently answered my questions thus far. There seems to be a lot of little details to this game that make sense once you're over the hurdle.

there’s an action dive you can do by pressing the roll button while sprinting away from a monster in this game and in World that gives you a long period of invulnerability. that talisman ability makes it so you can do the dive regardless of what direction you’re running

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm just happy I can finally quickly mass-grill steaks.

btw the biggest flaw in this series from its inception is that Well-Done steaks are considered perfectly cooked. What the gently caress. Fire whoever decided that. Medium-Rare or gtfo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I beat Magnamolo
He is very cool

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unless posted:

I use carvings from its body to dress up my cat

gonna need to farm him to make me the doggo and the cat all professional edgelords

also I was not expecting to fight this guy before rathalos lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

lmao i did something similar just yesterday

https://i.imgur.com/SwiIOV8.mp4

I remember not too long ago this thread was wondering how Gunlance could be made more unique compared to Lance. Apparently the answer to that question was "Make Gunlance straight up a jetpack"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have ditched Longsword and Dual Blades both.
It's the sword and shield life for me.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

did they change dodge i-frames compared to World? feels like dodge rolling through attacks is easier (I don't have evade window)
maybe it's that the boss models aren't as big or something

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the one big thing World still has over Rise is the way it established the food chain and set up the progression of monsters for new players. Anjanath is established early on as something you don't want to gently caress with when he shows up to wreck the Great Jagras in the intro mission, then when you're finally fighting Anjanath he happens to wander into Rathalos's territory and this imposing beast gets lifted up and effortlessly tossed aside by the fire wyvern. The apex predators of each region were set up long in advance and were constantly present in that area, so there was a real build-up to when you finally confronted Rathalos, Diablos, and Legiana at the tail end of Low Rank. Then there's Nergigante who was built up throughout the entire game so when you finally properly faced off with the flagship it felt like a huge, momentous battle.

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 6, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sword and Shield is so drat fun in this game.
Shoryuken everything, everywhere, all the time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

How good is Guard 5 on Sword+Shield? I wanna try playing around with the ZR+A parry but most attacks from large monster just stagger me by default

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

UM, EXCUSE ME?
https://i.imgur.com/czU7cIQ.mp4

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I beat the final boss! This is my first time completing a Monster Hunter game while it's still new. I played a bit of 3 Ultimate on the Wii U but didn't get far past the tutorial section, Generations I played a bit of but didn't get out of Low Rank, World I got when it was relatively fresh but didn't get around to actually finishing it and Iceborne until after Alatreon had already come out. Rise I bought Day 1 and played beginning to end. I had a blast. The ending is pretty abrupt though, with the cliffhanger and all. It seems like the real final boss was pushed back to a free content update. I guess they couldn't finish it in time because of working under COVID? Not that the current final boss is bad, it's actually pretty great. The new monsters are all really awesome.

The game is a huge improvement over World, to the point that I tried going back to World and couldn't get into it, it feels slow and clunky in comparison, almost like how the older Monster Hunter games felt after playing World. The wirebug is such a great mechanic I can't imagine another Monster Hunter game without it. The added mobility, the special wirebug moves, the ability to spend a bug to recover from a stagger, it all makes the combat flow so well and using these tools feels like second nature. The combat just feels incredible.

I started out with Dual Blades, then played around with Longsword a bit, but when I saw the Sword n' Shield's Shoryuken attack I fell in love and stuck with it for the back half of Low Rank all the way through the end of the game. The weapon is more fun than it ever has been before. I've seen SnS referred to as "The swiss army knife of monster hunter" and that has never been more true, its switch skills make it incredibly versatile and let you mold it to fit any situation. People hyped up the drill slash (and they should, it's great) but that doesn't mean you should sleep on the shield bash, it's been buffed massively from World and is no joke when it comes to stunning monsters.
But man, that Shoryuken. When you time it perfectly to get the guard point and nail the monster right in the head you feel so incredibly powerful.

Good-rear end game.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 11, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is the ideal method for crafting Charms just farming the final boss endlessly lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

now that I've played through Rise I realize how dumb the Bloat Values for damage are in World. It's much easier to get an actual sense of the value stat increases have when you're looking at the raw values. Attack +15 looks like a healthy boost for your weapon when it has 200 attack power but it seems like a drop in the water when your weapon is listed as having 750 attack power and you have to either notice or have it pointed out to you that the +15 is actually a +52.5 after bloat is applied. It adds an unnecessary level of confusion. also makes it more annoying if you have multiple weapon of different types and want to compare them to each other.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pulling out the ol’ whetstone to polish my wooden club with rusty nails sticking out of it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think I might finally understand Charge Blade now lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

After much experimentation I finally found a way to go back to previous monster hunter games and still enjoy them after having played Rise.
It’s called The Insect Glaive

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kinda wish Ibushi could be fought outside of the rampage.
That music’s too good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I feel weak in Rise. The camera feels bad, too. I struggle with it constantly. The target camera being on L instead on clicking a stick, the weird nauseating focus camera. The map is awful. The lack of layered armor, too. The whole game feels off to me.

This is kinda wild to me because going back to World after Rise was so hard for me. I feel way more powerful and agile in Rise, stuff like the Shoryugeki feels incredible and impactful, the switch skills letting you customize your weapon and recreate some of the Adept and Aerial style shenangians from Generations, it's all so much fun and makes World feel slow and wimpy. The zoomed-out camera option in Rise makes it so much easier to see everything than in World, and there's a lot less clutter in the environment too so shiny drops don't disappear into the foliage. And the minimap is so much better in Rise, letting you have a nice, zoomed in view and filter the icons you want to see, and letting you switch between that view and the full map by holding L. I can barely read the minimap in World, it's so tiny and cluttered and the icons are all smudged together. I was about ready to give up on ever going back to Iceborne's post-game until I discovered the Insect Glaive as a way to get back some of that feeling of spiderman-ing around in Rise.

I do agree that I wish there were layed armor sets besides the DLC/Amiibo ones at launch tho. Hope they correct that sooner rather than later.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 19, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is my hope too with the wording of that tweet. Crossplay would be nice, but would the framerate discrepancy be a problem?
It shouldn't be a problem at all. Fortnite is 30fps on Switch and has crossplay.

quote:

Also from that person's twitter about Rise G, not linking these incase someone doesn't want to see it

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1377432367489515524

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1377433547393232899
hell yeah give me more, I cannot wait

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the version of the full map you get when you press + to bring up the menu also shows where certain useful Endemic Life are regardless of what your filter is set to. it's kinda weird.
I definitely don't think the map is perfect but I vastly prefer it to World's which was always just illegible to me. Maybe Steam players had a different experience but on PS4 the map sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MONSTER × MONSTER

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

v1ld posted:

Yeah, Anjanath taught people about resists in World and there's Kirin in every game to teach you about Thunder. Maybe folks are just not looking at them any more.

I've had more than a few dumb carts but the worst was from LBG over confidence against Magnamalo. Took only one cart but it was our third because I didn't believe that Mag would ever hit me and more importantly that it would single shot me from the extended aerial tail slam. Sorry, randos.

I didn't learn to pay attention to resistances until Velkhana lol

404notfound posted:

The perfect rush combo feels like it takes way too long if you actually wait for the flash/rumble. Do people actually have time to execute it that way, or is it better to just mash through it quickly?

Don't mash through it. Perfect Rush is just not worth it if you ignore the timings.
If the monster is stunned you should have plenty of time to perfect rush them.

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 20, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I finally beat the nerfed story mode version of Alatreon in Iceborne :toot:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pixaal posted:

Tickets to make 1000 Origami SwitchAxes.

https://www.gamesradar.com/why-one-monster-hunter-rise-player-is-spending-hundreds-of-hours-making-the-same-switch-axe/

this clickbait came up for me and I clicked it because it seemed amusing and it kind of is. The other large scale stupid 1.0 project someone is working on is taking a picture of every monsters feet for the album I'm almost afraid to see how much progress has been made there.

quote:

I had to ask: what's keeping him going through all this? What will he wish for when hits 1,000 Origami Axes?

"There were these ducks in Monster Hunter Frontier, they act like poogies/cohoots, they're very cute and I really miss them," he says, sharing the picture above. "I'm no hero, just a man who really misses his ducks."
a noble cause if there ever was one

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HPanda posted:

Male armor should be equally slutty, and both should be slutty. Include some full armor sets too, I guess. But otherwise, full on slutty.

What I’m saying is bring on the Tigrex-print assless chaps for everyone.

reiterating my sentiment from the previous thread:

Augus posted:

just make the alpha set the cool ninja armor and the beta set the sexy ninja cosplay (for both male and female hunters)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Special License Quest is a bit difficult but it’s not crazy, if you beat Magnamolo you’ll probably be able to handle it. Going through LR Hub after finishing village will feel like a lot of retreading old ground

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

quote’s not edit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

where's blue rajang

and ultra instict rajang

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

HR in Rise certainly feels a lot easier to me than HR in World did but World was my first proper Monster Hunter game so I can't really judge it objectively. Who cares though, the game's fun as hell and MR will be added in eventually.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Also I think the monsters (at least so far) might be balanced with players who ignore permabuffers in mind. They stat boosts from those definitely feel like they give you a bit more of an edge in a fight.

chumbler posted:

Aside from wirefall and other wirebug mobility, there's also potions being half instant now and you can still move while using them, two buddies instead of one if playing solo, and hitboxes being a lot more generous. That being said, monsters are still plenty aggressive and can wreck you in 2-3 hits, so I think it's mostly just down to experience and this still being early high rank.

Yeah Potions loving SUCK in World compared to Rise.