Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The Gunlance changes make me very excited to main it this time around.

Wirebugs add much needed mobility. Additionally you have access to ground splitter and blast dash. Also a side effect of being able to charge shell from neutral now is that lets you do really long backhops on command.
The air combos with this weapon are nuts, and with wirebug moves and air recovery you can weave them into your battles easily.
Wide GL apparently stuns now and has two levels of charge.
The guard edge gives you both a counter and a sharpness regen, which is great because sharpness drain was a huge problem in the past.
The guard reload switch skill apparently adds a guard point to reloading and access to another way to stake reload which seems amazing.

I'm also excited for what seems to be a pretty high skill ceiling, there's tons of ways to do cheesy stuff like shell in the air to hover/dodge, ways to negate recoil and recovery animations, charged backhopping in reverse to close distance, upkeep of ground splitter, etc. I've been watching some deep dive videos and had no idea that gunlances could even do half of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Did we ever figure out what time this dang thing is unlocking?

Depends on your eshop timezone.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

When do I get blast dash, that rules

Craft 8 different Gunlances

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Impermanent posted:

they're different playstyles.

long - charged shelling.
normal - do the big shell burst combo
wide - i always forget. its a shotgun tho so try to be 90 degrees to long monsters.

shelling level number higher -> damage more gooder.

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Whats a good way to grind money? HR crafting takes quite a bit and running group quests seems to split the zenny rewards. Do I just speedrun 6/7* village?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What's a good way to get a monster to sleep. Komitsu gave me a quest to take a picture of a sleeping Arzuros, I tried tossing down some drugged meat but it wouldn't take it

Just capture it then take a picture, that counts

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqfY5tsSMg
Over the last day or so, I started to figure that stake spam with Long Gunlance seemed to be superior to fullbursting for monsters with tight windows of opportunity. Nice to see that the speedrunners are on the same page. Its just a shame you can't use blast dash with this strategy.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

MechaX posted:

So I guess before I'm at the absolute end-game, I'll probably just stick to Hammer because I'm not about to start making a bunch of Elemental Bows before I know what sucks and what doesn't (lol the tobi bow still seems really good though)

But... I'm getting distracted because i need this Almudron Gunlance. Are elemental gunlances decent in this game?

Its not really a thing since shells don't take elements. Element will only matter on your melee attacks.
edit: that is to say element or raw damage doesn't really matter for gunlances, what you are looking for is shell level and sharpness mainly.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Multiplayer is basically a 4-player blender and whatever poor monster happens to fall into it is juiced. I haven't managed to capture a single monster online because it keels over long before I thought we could trap & tranq it.

Weird, like 95% of my random pugs at HR6/7 capture. It can save you the risk of getting TPKed by a Mag divebomb or something at low health, although generally I only see around 1 cart per hunt in pugs. People generally seem competent.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Okay I don't know why I ever was bouncing around weapons I can't get enough of Hunting Horn now. I just unlocked 3* village which opened up Kula-Ya-Ku which I hear is a good set for HH. Looks like I'll bonk the chicken a few times to get that then.

Any HH users got any insight on good actual horns to aim for? I'm using the Ice Bnahabra horn right now which has Health Regen, Stamina Use Down, and Sonic Wave.

Magnamalo one has a great song list. Sonic barrier gives your party rocksteady mantle.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Are charms different from talismans? I just unlocked talismans and the options were underwhelming. Also what's that pot the merchant gets? I haven't gone near it.

You get more options as you increase in rank. The early ones suck.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

v1ld posted:

Village 4*and higher is HR, right? Giving you HR mats for HR gear?

Asking because I got there then switched to hub last night because I want to exhaust LR fights before switching to HR gear.

Nothing in village is HR, its all LR.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Speaking of item pouch, what's the best way to keep track of your item inventory..? I have so many items now, and I'm starting to run out of pouch space sometimes from all the foraging. It helps me to have a routine with this many items to keep track of.

I don't even know what most of them are.

Set an item loadout with only the essential potions and consumables, and load it every time you get back from a hunt. It will restock your potions and deposit any extras in your bank.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Natural 20 posted:

Well I killed the final boss.

I can't say I'm a fan of that fight.

I get the movement options in the game are relatively robust but basing a fight around having to slowly put your weapon away and then hope you stick a wirebug so that you can get to artillery weapons that have controls that are inverted from what goes on with the LBG is just awful. Additionally wyvernblasts that stick to the boss basically end up being unhittable because its hitbox doesn't match the model so your wyvernblasts will just stick somewhere in the air around the boss.

It felt really terrible compared to some of the cooler HR7 fight basically and I'm kinda annoyed that it was my bookend to the game.

I agree completely, its doubly awful if you're playing a melee weapon that needs to ramp up its damage, since the vulnerability windows are so short. the fight would be massively improved if the artillery and vulnerable windows were like twice as long. As it stands now if you miss wirebugging to a platform right away, by the time you actually mount the weapon it will despawn. If you're playing a slow, lumbering weapon like GL or GS or something you basically never have enough time to do your cool poo poo unless you are perfectly positioned every time the sac is vulnerable.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Tagichatn posted:

Sounds like you need to switch up your gunlance style.

Not a comment about mobility, but more about animations - GL animations are still really slow.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

at least with Quick Sheath 3, foresight slash really does seem a little outmoded, yeah

Foresight is still useful since you can't sheath cancel every move.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

They could have different rampage skills too.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Well that loving sucks I've been using my defender tickets on Talismans. Can I seriously only get defender tickets on Rampage quests? They suck?

Rampages are much more tolerable in 4-person party.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

homeless snail posted:

They persist but upgrades will usually have better versions of the ramp ups, and it won't automatically upgrade an attack II ramp to an attack III or whatever

Note that this works both ways, you can get a rampage ability that doesn't normally exist on a weapon if it has it somewhere lower in a tree. I can't recall the names of them off the top of my head, but there are a couple weapons this is useful for.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

the more i play it the more i'm convinced that rise's switch axe is probably one of the best implementations of it in the entire series. all of it's switch skill options add another layer to further emphasize what makes the weapon fun. the moveset swap that changes your running attack with one that has longer windup but an overhead slam with more damage that you can chain into a sword double slash feels chunky as hell to charge into fights with. the invincible gambit wirebug skill you start with lets you just yeet yourself right into combat and completely ignore literally everything that would normally stop you at the expense of still taking damage during it. you can just no-sell roars with it and crash right into their face if you time it well. the soaring wyvern blade(?) that you can swap for it lets you fling yourself into the air and jet yourself right into their mass to plant an explosive on them that can ignore armor gimmicks and hitzones while also charging up the sword form massively. the compressed discharge option makes it so you don't have to commit as hard and lets you chain into more combos while still making GBS threads out damage. other quality of life things like the new skill that enhances morph attack speed and damage and other little tweaks to the moveset just make it an absolute blast to play and there's honestly no aspect of it that feels clunky or janky.

i vastly prefer switch axe in rise even over GU where switch axe was notoriously busted as hell. it's dope as poo poo and i hope more people try out the purely actively aggressive morphing equivalent to the greatsword.

I've been trying to get into switch axe but I can't figure out what this weapon's niche is. The morphing stuff and attacks are cool and all, but I don't really "get" what it is good at. It doesn't seem have any particularly standout options for mobility, defense, or utility compared to most classes. Sword mode having mind's eye is neat for breaking parts and stuff and you can pump damage if can get some long uninterrupted strings in, but it seems like most weapons can do that nowadays. And it seems like every class has a super armor or invincible silkbind now. What am I missing with this weapon? I want to like it.
(I mainly play GS, GL, and HH if that helps)

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Aranan posted:

Worth noting is that the Bead of Resonance switch skill apparently plays the Attack Up song whenever you do a performance, even if your horn doesn't have Attack Up.

Yep, I use this combo when doing Pub Magnamalos or any other fight randoms tend to cart like crazy on.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

A Single Sphink posted:

I got a quick sheath 2/punishing draw 2 talisman.

Should I greatsword, Y/Y?

The GS silkbind move auto sheaths you (in addition to having some iframes and atk buff) so quick sheath is kinda pointless on them now.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The Postman posted:

Is there a specific point in the game that people consider "endgame"?

Once you beat the final boss at HR7, since this actually unlocks everything

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The Postman posted:

Cool, thanks! And is the endgame grind essentially just getting materials for the best gear you want and beefing it up with decorations?

Yep, for now at least, there will be a game update later this month with more endgame content

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

How viable is fighting high rank monsters solo? I really need a Bishaten feather and none of my usual buddies are online

Completely normal, HR still scales HP down for solo.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Holy poo poo, demon flight makes DBs fun as gently caress. It is doubly crazy on huge monsters like the one rampage boss.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Stop giving me reasons to pick up more weapons please!!

I already wanted to pick up Gunlance but I stopped because a friend is maining it. I did craft enough of them to mess around with the blast dash switch art

My friend, not only is this move fun, stylish, and incredibly powerful, it’s also invincible. Demon flight and the follow up aerial combos have a ton of iframes attached to them. No pesky monster roars will stop you from beyblading across its spine.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Thinking posted:

It definitely seemed like that, though if you don’t know how to use your wire bug movement skills by the end of HR then I dunno what to tell you. It just seemed really tedious and a lot of the time didn’t let me hit things in the face with a big rear end sword which is my favourite thing to do

This is the problem, between all the gimmicks it seems like your weapon barely matters at all.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ethiser posted:

There is a big glowy sack that it exposes that takes a ton of damage from your weapons.

I mean matter in the sense of what your moves do and how it plays. A target dummy spawning every 30 seconds or so just feels lackluster for a final boss.

edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is for the vast majority of fights in the game, a Greatsword will approach a monster much differently from a Dual Blades player or Gunlance, and in that fight it just doesn't seem to matter (unless you are ranged).

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

What're some good GL attacks? I'm getting lots of use out of X+A > X > A several times to shell burst into the spear (the thing that sticks in mons and does DoT damage.

I recently discovered charging shots by holding A, but I'm not sure when I should be doing that. It doesn't do much more damage than a normal shell and it holds me in place.

I'm still trying to get a pattern down that'll do the quick reload.

Also what do shell levels determine? I assume it's shelling damage but I'm sure I'm mistaken.

I love this weapon and I love wrecking monsters with elemental weapons. I have the Kadachi (thunder), aknosom (fire), and ludroth (water) GLs and full Basarios armor. I feel like a literal tank.

Just FYI, shells aren't modified by element. Element will only apply on GL melee attacks.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I'm somewhat confused on how to use bow properly, since it doesn't seem like you are supposed to manually charge any shots, despite what it looks like at first glance. Exactly which actions gain charge levels, and which actions reset your charge level? When should you use a normal shot (ZR) vs a power shot (A)?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

I've definitely had them wake up enemies but it's pretty rare. Seems like it's some quirk like they were queuing up some specific, big attack as the monster hits the floor and it just coincides. It's never the end of the world but can be a bit annoying if I'm using a weapon that does the big hits.

Are any of the the Narwa/Ibushi weapons particularly of note? The armour seems a bit crap and I have a lot of the parts so was wondering. I find it hard to really identify what makes a particular weapon better than another given weapon with similar numbers and the same element.

Things to consider in a weapon:

Raw attack power
Elemental/Status attack power (only if using a weapon/build that cares about this)
Affinity
Sharpness levels and length (Note that Handicraft can substantially improve some weapons, while it does nothing for others)
Decoration Slots
Ramp-up skills (most ramp up skills just boost one of the above stats, but there are a couple of powerful unique and some weapon-specific ones)
edit: there's also weapon specific stuff like shelling levels, shot types, phials etc.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

was in a random lobby doing a barioth quest. me and another hunter both beeline for the sleeping rajang. sorry buddy but I picked up a puppet spider along the way so I get to ride the monkey :smuggo:

I love people who do this, extra mats for everyone.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why doesn't the True Charge Slash have the ability to change direction like the Rage Slash? I don't think it would break anything or cause the TCS to vastly outclass Rage Slash. Seems weird...

TCS has more range and does like, 40% more damage than a base Rage Slash. I think its a fine tradeoff.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I love in depth videos like this, there's so much crazy minutia in this game. I wish the hunter notes were more in depth, there's a ton of stuff like this that isn't obvious at all. One thing that constantly trips me up in this game is the timing of various iframes, some moves have it on startup but a ton have various levels of delay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebVcWalktBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Koyvj506Ik

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

v1ld posted:

Feels tough to land all SAED explosions given the new pattern. The AED seems a lot more reliable as the explosions are at the contact point. Does Axe Hopper's aerial SAED have a better pattern/land more explosions?

SAED is easy to spam from CPP but it's going to do less damage than the AED is most cases. Makes sense if they made it very situational.

Loving the axe mode. Surprised by how nice Load Shells feels in play, it's more fluid to charge up and no point in having the extra phial from Capacity Boost if AEDs are preferred. CB feels great. Using all of the moveset like in GU and unlike OG World before Iceborne.

What are y'all's CB builds? Just got to HR6 and am running a mix of Rhenoplos, Basarios, Barroth for Artillery 3, Load Shells 2, Guard 2. Haven't started building decos yet.

E: Training room shows axe damage roughly doubling from savage mode, so raw damage boosts are roughly half as effective for skills that don't effect phials? Seems like Attack Boost and other attack skills should be better than crit skills for CB since they boost raw and phial damage both. What's the consensus in best way to build for CB?

I really wish I could have Axe hopper + CPP, alas. Also I agree, I played a lot of CB in world but the SAED hitbox seems awful now. I'd try out rapid morph 3, it speeds up some animations including SAED.
As for builds, there are a couple different ways to go depending if you are focusing on phial damage or spinning axe damage, since those seem to be the best things you can be doing with the current setup. Bludgeoner-based phial builds also work nice with the high-raw Rajang CB and lets you mostly ignore sharpness and crit skills. Axe builds can go for normal crit-based setups.
There's some decent starter builds here: https://mhchargeblade.net/mhr/builds/

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Fifteen of Many posted:

:stonk:

For a non-Khezu related post, I picked up Rise to play with some friends after feeling like I was really bad at World. I went with dual blades (again) but am feeling much better at Rise for some reason. It took me like twelve years to kill the first Anjanath in World but so far I've gotten through most of Rise without fainting (for the most part). About to hit HR5 in the Village and HR3 in the Gathering Hub. I've played around with a few other weapons but not seriously, just a few trials against low level small monsters, but now that I feel like the game is clicking I'm starting to crave getting good with the other weapons (not that I"m good with DB, just not utterly incompetent). I feel like getting good with any of the slower stuff is going to be rough; I'm only surviving with DB because of that mobility. GS and lance I felt like I was just sitting there waiting to get eaten, or couldn't move out of attacks fast enough. I'm probably just playing them super wrong, like I probably played World super wrong.

Is there something different from Rise to World that would justify my feeling not awful all the sudden? I soloed world in a long trudge through Nergigante and then needed to bring in swarms of players for most of the rest of the game (at least the elder stuff at the end of the game, anyway). I almost want to give World another try; I almost skipped Rise cause of how I ended up feeling at the end of that playthrough and am wondering if maybe I was just in the wrong mindset.

I feel like the wirebugs add a lot to the combat, in particular to survivability. It feels much easier to survive compared to world.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Anyone else have the issue where the game wont let you wirebug recovery? Im not stunned or paralyzed or anything else, but the game will put little X's over the wirebug symbols and wont let me recover till I stand up

I believe there is a a debuff that does this

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Is there a way to craft evade extender decos? I cant seem to find them in the list.

Yes, kill tobi-kadachi to unlock it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The Postman posted:

I managed to put together like 10 different sets before I went broke. Is the ore upsurge farming still the best way to get caught back up? I still have a few goofy builds I want to experiment with.

Yep, you can still easily get >100k per run.