Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Andrast posted:

I'm sure they'll still hide something extremely important, making you go to the wiki anyway

One thing I can already see being a bit unclear is that they're lumping together the drop chances for things like body carves vs tail carves - I'm guessing that 80% chance for a tail is from actually carving the tail, with the remaining 20% being ??? (it's probably a scale, but then is the actual chance for a scale from a body carve only 16%?)

Triarii fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hammer is so loving good in this game. I mean, it’s always been good, but I love the new stance and the wirebug moves feel so good to do.

Seriously, I grabbed hammer as my first weapon out of the gate because I figured I'd start simple before trying other weapons, but it's been so hard to put it down. Impact Crater is a beastly move and doing the swap from blue > yellow stance for an instant full charge to maximize its damage feels slick as hell, and the unlockable Dash Breaker is a great gap closer that both does more damage when you're charged, and also maintains your charge through it, so you can glide straight into a fully charged slam when a monster tries to move away from you.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

the talk about this "insta block" made me wanna check it out and -

wait a gosh darn second this is literally just the adept guard from generations :eyepop:

e: this is not an exaggeration, it is literally exactly the adept guard from generations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGaLxn5l3I&t=425s

The hammer's alternate charge stance is also literally valor hammer's charge combos, with the same animations and everything.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Rise is smooth as butter even in Rampage mode, it's an entertaining clusterfuck because the scaling is entirely different from hunting. "Ah poo poo, there's a pukei in the air and like three boulders beating on the gate, I better ring this gong so my every attack tics for 200 damage and clear those three large monsters out simultaneously."

This is odd to read because Rise kind of runs like rear end for me. Rampages are fine because the map is kept so simple, but there are various areas around the other maps (flooded forest in particular) where the framerate is noticeably chugging even when nothing is going on. Heaven forbid an actual fight ends up happening there.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Yeah, the radial menu felt like a tremendous upgrade in usability and I can't imagine just deciding not to use it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Radial menu also makes ammo crafting (well all crafting but you probably end up crafting ammo the most often) much easier

Being able to craft and use max potions and life powders with a single option each was a huge improvement too. Watching videos of older games where people open up the menu to craft items mid-combat drives me bonkers.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Badly Jester posted:

Will I ever be able to recruit buddies that are higher than level 5? In MHGU it was tied to quests/hub progress, but I haven't found anything to that effect in Rise yet.

As soon as you get to high rank, the level cap for recruitable buddies jumps up to 18 or 19.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I never tried M/KB with a melee weapon but I'd imagine it's somewhat awkward. With a controller, you tilt the left stick in a direction to dictate where your attacks will be aimed, but with a keyboard I guess you'd have to point the camera where you want to aim and press W.

The other part of it is that, when you're stringing attacks together in a combo, you can only slightly nudge your facing to either side with each attack. If the monster moves to the side or you just completely whiff your aim, you generally have to halt your combo entirely (probably dodge roll out of it to skip your attack's end lag) then re-orient yourself and start over.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kobogartimer posted:

It sounds like you are using an Impact type switch axe

Power phial, but yeah, power is the "generically useful" switch axe type that comes at the cost of it taking longer to charge up.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Reiche posted:

Yeah somehow I’ve been using only power phials (thanks GU). I switched to element/dragon/poison/etc phials and my gauge filled up lickety-split. My god I’ve been playing this game on some self imposed hard mode lol

So now my question is, why the gently caress would I ever use a power phial now when every other type fills my gauge to murder mode 3x faster.

I did a quick fight and wow did things go soooooo much faster.

Power phial weapons boost your damage in sword mode (all the time, not just once you've filled the meter) so you're giving that up if you use a different type. In the past that was pretty much just better than the added element or status you'd get from the other phial types, but now that the other types can get to the amped state faster to offset the damage loss, it might be worth using them.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

chumbler posted:

I only just noticed last night that holding down the L button zooms your minimap in to be the detailed map. Game changer right there.

There's also on option to swap that behavior, so it's zoomed in by default and holding L zooms out.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

new kind of cat posted:

Figuring out I didn’t need a full gauge to abuse savage axe has freed me from the need to use the defensive silkbind, so I can add some aerial SAED for flavor when I feel like it. I do admit I miss the counters , but I can live with just stacking guard skill and abusing my guard points.

The thing that makes it hard to go without the counter silkbind when savage axing is that it lets you guard while in axe mode and then press X to go right back into savage axe mode. Without that, you have to do the ZR+A > X charge which takes a couple of seconds, particularly if you don't have any sword charge built up.

AnEndcat posted:

That's Counter Morph Slash only, right? Normally the guard point's at the end of the axe-to-sword animation.

Correct.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

To demonstrate:

https://i.imgur.com/Q4pdlNi.mp4

If you're using counter morph slash then you could guard point those attacks, but that will leave you in sword mode so you can't get back to ripping and tearing right away.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

that preserves your savage axe mode despite getting the shield out? I wouldn't have expected that

Technically no - if you do nothing after the counter or whiff it entirely, you'll end up in sword mode with savage axe gone. It's just that you can press X after blocking a hit to immediately go into savage axe mode, whether you had it active or not.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

King of Solomon posted:

Uhhh, is Pro Transporter not in this game?

No, but since you can wirebug around (to a limited extent) while carrying an egg, wirebug whisperer can kind of help in that role.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

the hammer is so comfy, i love being able to pull off stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/vMoHGei.mp4

I love how you can be eight hundred miles away from a monster and it doesn't matter, you're always in range for a jumping attack.

https://i.imgur.com/zW6khgv.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The head is the highest damage hitzone for cutting weapons as well as blunt in almost all situations, so technically "everyone puts on flinch free and dogpiles the head" is better DPS than "everyone spreads out and targets a different part of the monster".

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bleck posted:

what if people want to break parts, to get items for things, in Monster Hunter,

By all means bust all the parts you want, I just think it's silly that some people seem to suggest that it's incorrect for cutting weapons to attack the head because their place is at the tail.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Some things can't drop from carves, some can't drop from captures, and the general trend is that rarer things have a higher chance of dropping from captures but you get 2-3 rewards instead of a guaranteed 3 carves. Fortunately all this info is now in the game in the hunter's notes so you don't have to look things up on a wiki before you go on a hunt.

Edit: Also the reduced rewards from capturing can itself be misleading sometimes, because sometimes you'll get 2 of an item from capturing but only 1 from carving, eg you have an 18% chance of getting 2 thunder sacs from capturing a Khezu or a 20% chance of 1 from carving.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

:confused:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

HPanda posted:

As I recall, they can either enrage and get themselves out of it or leave to go eat something (usually the carcasses you find littered about).

It's actually that being exhausted prevents a monster from enraging, which ends up looking like it's enraging to get out of the exhaustion because you probably did enough damage to trigger the enrage in the meantime.

(Being enraged also prevents entering the exhaust state even though they can still lose stamina while enraged, so the same thing happens in reverse.)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Make any Narcaguga weapon and get 100% crits

I just went for Bludgeoning hammer build for now because I think it's gonna be a while before I get the 100% crit build (which people seem to think is much better) but then people are like no actually you still want weakness expose on top of bludgeon

Is there any weapon in the game that doesn't want it? Like are there weapons that just hit whatever? I know Switchaxe never bounces in sword mode and just wants the easy to get Rapid Morph

Even if you have the ability to never bounce, you still want to be hitting the weakest hitzone whenever possible, so weakness exploit is still usually the single best damage skill you can have.

One possible exception is a heavily SAED-focused charge blade. Impact phial explosions deal damage that ignores hitzones and can't crit, so only Artillery and base attack bonuses help them. Bludgeoner also helps if you have a green sharpness weapon - it didn't in World for whatever reason but they changed that in Rise. Even then, enough of your damage comes from direct weapon hits that weakness exploit is a contender.

I think there's also a flavor of gunlance that goes all in on shelling so crits are of zero benefit?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've fought Magnamalo quite a lot and I still haven't figured out how to avoid that attack (or to get out of the followup hit if the first hit catches you).

His air combo game is strong, he must play a lot of tekken

https://i.imgur.com/xobPw0s.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Magna also has this double tail sweep move that I don't think I have avoided once in my life

https://i.imgur.com/avk50QU.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pixaal posted:

pretty sure you had time to roll backwards there after your last swing to avoid that. Looks like you juked left which that would not have avoided the tail.

That was a failed guard point there. Part of the trouble is the fakeout of the first swipe making the timing tricky, but also the move just tracks really well - I think if I had rolled back, he would've just gone further forwards to hit me anyway if I didn't time it just right.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

I've definitely had them wake up enemies but it's pretty rare. Seems like it's some quirk like they were queuing up some specific, big attack as the monster hits the floor and it just coincides. It's never the end of the world but can be a bit annoying if I'm using a weapon that does the big hits.

That's odd because I've seen buddies wind up a long attack that ends up landing several seconds after the monster's gone to sleep, and it has never woken it up.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i guess my mistake was assuming that Guard 5 would be the max blocking you could have then? Doesn't red shield and guard-pointing each give an equivalent of 1 point of Guard, in regards to the knockback threshold? If this is the case, then having Guard 5 plus red shield plus guard point would be like a theoretical Guard 7 then?

Gah, I hate how much this game doesnt tell the players

Specifically how this works is there's a formula that calculates your guard strength vs the knockback power of the monster's attack, and the difference between the two determines how big of a knockback you get.

Guard 1 gives +10 to this strength. Guard 3 upgrades that to +20 and Guard 5 to +30 (Guard 2 and 4 don't help with this).

Charging your shield and guard pointing don't add to the Guard skill directly - instead, they each add another +10 to that formula, which is why people say they're each like having another point in Guard. (Although it's more like 2 points each, since only the first point in the Guard skill gives you +10 on its own, so Guard 5 w/ charged shield and guard points is almost like a theoretical Guard 9.)

Counter Peak Performance, as far as I can tell, just has infinite strength and can block any attack with no knockback, even with zero points in Guard. Although you will need Guard Up to block unblockable attacks, as usual.

Note that these specific numbers are from World and they could be different in Rise, and in fact the wording on the Guard skill is a little different in a way that suggests that Guard 1 actually gives a smaller value than Guard 2 now.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

This isn't even the hard-hitting hammer move

https://i.imgur.com/OdzU1dj.mp4

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Any fun/unusual charge blade builds worth checking out? I'm using a fairly started attack up/crit up/morph build and it does great numbers, but I'm playing pretty mindlessly in the postgame now and wanna see if I can shake things up a bit.

The other main contender is taking the Rajang CB, completely ignoring crit skills, and maxing out bludgeoner, artillery, and attack boost in exchange. Your direct hit damage suffers but your SAED phial damage goes through the roof, so any fight where you can land a ton of SAEDs will go faster.

Other than that...elemental charge blades?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the main annoying thing about charms is that the game clearly wants you to have to grind for them, but there's ways to grind that are significantly and objectively more effective. Rampages and Narwa are very different from just doing hunts and there's very low variety there, but in the back of your mind it's like "well just joining random hunts isnt really getting me any loot progression, so it feels like I SHOULD be doing the thing that will get me more charms because I'm not doing any loot progression at all by killing any monster below HR7"

Like I've done 50~ Magnamalo kills/caps and I'm sitting on a pile of resources but then doing the math it's like wow this does not add up to NEARLY as many charms as I feel like fifty hunts should

I'm pretty sure doing a Narwa hunt or rampage gets you like 2-3 full melds worth of materials, so you could go hunt a random Pukei Pukei between each Narwa or whatever and still be at 100% loot efficiency. It's not as good as it could be, but it's much less bad than "do exactly one hunt forever because it's objectively the best".

My personal wish for an optimal farming method would be a mode that just throws one monster at you after another, selected at random from the full roster (maybe with like an A or B choice at each step) because all monsters are beautiful and I want to kill them all. Kind of like what the Guiding Lands could've been if you had zero reason to care about what you were fighting so everything was a worthwhile target.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Reiley posted:

Is demondrug a percent damage increase or a flat damage number boost?

It's a flat +5 raw (and I'm pretty sure it's applied after all percentage boosts like bludgeoner, so you can't increase the bonus with skills).

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Poniard posted:

i may as well continue hoping for a 2 wex charm with a lvl 2 slot so i can put 7 attack up on my build finally

The new decorations mean you really don't need to hope for such a specific charm anymore. Any charm with two L2 slots and one point in a L2-slot-equivalent skill that's useful to you (or vice versa, one slot and two points) will probably let you make the same overall build.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Cats and dogs jumping into battle and making blue and yellow status fart clouds everywhere is ridiculous, ngl. Like I love it but it looks silly.

I get why they let you bring your buddy to 4 players hunts, so you can ride your dog around. They could have just left them off to the side to idle until you called them though. I get thats an option you can pick but no one will actually pick that.

As soon as you enter combat, everyone's dogs should group up on the sidelines and form a cheerleading squad.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I forgot to mention that the upgrade path on the Tigrex hammer allows you to get Silkbind boost that is a damage up on the Impact Hammer. You have to rollback the hammer to get it though.

Yeah, that's unusually good for hammer because so much of its damage is done through impact craters. Also, Master's Touch isn't terribly valuable for hammer because it goes through sharpness so slowly anyway, so you would likely see more overall damage by dropping it for more attack boost or some wirebug whisperer or whatnot.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Even if you use up the first two carts, it's really the guy who carted third that hosed it up for everyone.

And if you're the one who carted third, well, someone else used up most of the carts so it's only 1/3 your fault.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Saxophone posted:

Everytime I google rise info I get nothing but what seems like the same lovely info regurgitated on a different site ad infinitum. I'm gonna have to figure out how to block game8 or whatever the hell.

It's not like a permanent block but if you add "-site:game8.*" to a particular google search, it'll be excluded from that search.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

I need some paralysis sacs to make the cat sword and shield. To get them, I hunted a LR volvidon. It gave me an omniplegia sac. Omniplegia sacs are listed as an HR mat, though. I don't remember 100%, but I'm pretty sure all the other mats I got were LR.

Did I do something wrong, or was it just a "lucky" roll?

Normally that isn't possible. If you joined an online game for the hunt, maybe it was a helper reward? I've noticed those tend to be drops "scaled" to your level for helping out lower-HR people, though I don't know what particular monster parts you can get.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

If nothing else, Rise CB has a bunch of distinct playstyles you can choose between. You can take the counter move and fill phials faster than ever before and blast out SAEDs with record speed. Or you can do huge dramatic jumping SAEDs that deal more damage. Or you can forget phials altogether, turn your axe into a buzzsaw, and spend the fight carving into monsters like thanksgiving turkeys.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

snergle posted:

how similar does the hammer play in rise to world?

It's pretty similar overall but the main differences I can think of are:
- What was the power charge in MHW is now just a mode you can switch in and out of, meaning you don't lose it when you get hit or sheathe, but I think it's a bit nerfed in exchange. You'll probably spend almost all of your time in that mode, but there are occasional strategic reasons to switch back out of it. Also when you're in that mode, the awful spinning move you get when you do a full charge attack while pressing forwards is gone, instead replaced by a quick forward step slam.
- It gets an unlockable parry move.
- One of its silkbind moves (the ones that use up your recharging wirebugs) does so much damage that high level play pretty much revolves entirely around landing that move over and over again, as frequently as possible. It can be a bit monotonous but of course you aren't obligated to play that way.

Edit: Oh also, it has an alternate charge attack you can unlock that's just like the charge moves from MHGU's valor hammer, but it seemed kind of underpowered and I don't think many people used it.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are SOS flares in Rise?

Yeah, they changed how it's presented, but functionally you can still have people hop into your game mid-hunt.