Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Insanely hyped for Friday but I can’t decide whether to start with the bow or IG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Woho, seems to be unlocked here in euroland at least. Now I only have to decide on which weapon to start with.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The village is just so charming. I've a hard time focusing on working when all I want to do is buy food in-game so I get to hear the catchy song again.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I went IG despite the rather slow kinsects but it’s still worth it. So fun zipping around with the bugs and the aerial moves. I never really explored the demo zone but there’s like so much more above the ground level than I could imagine.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Ragequit posted:

How does saving and pausing work on Monster Hunter Rise? Is it possible to pause (even if it requires jumping to the Switch menu) during single player? I am interrupted during games pretty often unless I play really late at night, so pausing is a must.

You can pause whenever by pressing the home button on the controller but it won’t save while on a mission.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

My beloved insect glaive... it is so good

I don't even have the cool silkbind attack or the counter move yet and it's already just really really nice to use

This is the first time I use the IG but yeah, it’s so much fun. Especially now when I have lvl 3 kinsects that are a bit faster.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is it possible to track small monsters while on a hunt? Seems weird that I can’t choose to see those but it’s no problem to track a specific hunting helper.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Xad posted:

I'm planning on using the divebomb since it was cool in Iceborne, and honestly the recall ironsilk move seems...really bad? It's just a small backdodge and you recall your kinsect which refills its stamina. I guess it's useful on a powder kinsect (I think it's really weird that they made only one type of kinsect autoattack) since you get more uptime that way but it feels...pretty bad.
It does heal you as well, so you can use it as a sort of evade-and-top-up move. Not the most useful but it's okay in my experience.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm really enjoying the ease of finding other people to bang out a hunt with. It's almost equally as fast as preparing for it solo and more fun with all the chaos of 4 people and 4 helpers.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I found that as soon as I got the kinsects you can buy at 3-star village, insect glaive felt great. The speed-type ones that unlock at that point have just enough speed that they don't feel punishing to use. I'm looking forward to faster ones, but those are where I felt like they had reached "minimum usable speed" for kinsects.

The higher speed feels great but I am so weak for the rank 2 paralysis one. Especially in multi when you have 4 players all wailing on the immobile monster.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

DLC Inc posted:

I'm not really worrying about post-release content for this game----it is a Monster Hunter game, Capcom's flagship title, and likely is about to sell like 4 million in its first four days of release. Probably will be getting like 10 or 12 new monsters this year and eventually some kind of expansion----they'd be insane not to copy the Iceborne model again now that they have a great handheld to do it on + the RE Engine.
ftfy https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e210329.html?_pb_uid=1929

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Badly Jester posted:

Shipping 4 million copies is easier than selling them, though. Shipping just means that they went to a retailer.

Granted but it seems like it’s selling quite well too.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
My insect glaive is now a glowing rifle with a bayonet. GOAT.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Swapped my dog for a cat for MP hunts and oh man i feel like it takes forever to get around the map. I gotta unlock all these great wirebug locations.

Have you unlocked all sub-camps? They help a bit.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Science_enthusiast posted:

Im only at 4* village stuff and have barely touched the hub. But my pockets are overflowing with cash.

Ok im gonna go off

I felt the same way until I hit HR and wanted to buy all the new Kinsects. Now I'm poor and downtrodden.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oxyclean posted:

You can just check your guild card.

Or was there more to the Wyverian thing?

It said the weapon use % of all players, not just your own.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I decided to start trying out the IG switch skills now that I'm in high rank and lemme tell you, they rock. Tetraseal Slash especially is amazing with an assist kinsect. Advancing Roundslash is somewhat tricky to time but it's really cool to have a move that lets you close distance and will also counter an attack if you get hit mid-move.

Isn’t the slash better with powder kinsects?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve been using the IG from the start but now that I am soon at HR7 I’d like to branch out to HBG. I made the highest rarity ore HBG simply to try it out but feel very confused about how to best use it. My time to kill is dramatically higher than with the IG but I guess that’s mostly due to inexperience. So I am basically wondering what’s a good starter HR HBG? I also watched the ammo videos posted earlier but I feel I need something even more basic than that.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Been trying to learn the HBG but keep getting bodied by Rathalos. His 90 degrees fireball, followed by a sweep, just wrecks me and I don't think I am good enough yet to pressure him consistently.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Novasol posted:

I decided to take my shiny new insect glaive out for a spin against HR Rathalos, and I never felt so free. Constantly battling for air supremacy and twirling around like a maniac. Managed an 8 minute kill and an extremely anime diving wyvern tail cut during a midair scuffle. I'm very glad I decided to join the circus.

Bonus fact: Having all three buffs for IG gives you earplugs apparently. LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LAUGHALOS

I think that is part of the problem because I played IG up until now and it evidently made me lazy enough to never really learn the monsters' moves because you can just clown all over them from above. But I finally got Rathalos down after switching to a support palico and giving the dog the "taunt" weapon.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Meridian posted:

IG looks so cool when I see other people playing it. All I do is pound heads with hammer or blast with the LBG. It's not nearly as flashy. What set are you using?

I'm still in HR6 and haven't unlocked everything yet but I have mainly used the izuchi set as a foundation and then complemented that with minor pieces from other sets depending on the skills I want. I've also used a couple of different elemental IG's depending on the monster I am fighting, even though I know that the narg one is "the best" based on aff.

I can highly recommend IG, it's so fun to zoom through the air and you feel nigh untouchable at times.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Wildtortilla posted:

By unlock everything do you mean hunt all the mons and do requests to fill out the equipment trees?

I mean maxing out the HR rank so that all the decos and stuff is available.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Gathering cats are the best because sometimes they do stuff like this

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
It feels so bad when you're the one dragging down the group in multi. I need to create a very apologetic cat sticker.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
If you’re going HBG slicing ammo I strongly recommend the spare shot skill. It procs quite often and extends your ammo use a lot.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've been running a slicing-focused build with the magnamalo HBG but lately wanted to try something else. I found a build on reddit using the tigrex HBG where the whole purpose is to make giant explosions in the monster's face and it's so much fun. You use sticky lvl 2 and 3 (along with artillery skills) to knock them out, then you walk up to them and blast them with wyvern ammo for hundreds (thousands if they are asleep) of damage. Throw in some counter-shots between this and you'll put out great damage alongside the decent cc. And you get to carry around a monster's head as your weapon.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Cat Machine posted:

Having the same pain but with Goss Harang. Swimming in plates but don’t have a claw... Putting the attack up gem behind rare drops from two of the baddest boys in the whole game was devious on Capcom’s part, lol

Are you consistently breaking his ice weapons?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

The bowgun people seem to be unimpressed with the HBG countershot and countercharge, though the latter at least has value as a 1 bug parry. There's also recall kinsect.

I like the countershot actually. Nothing wrong with being able to absorb an attack and dish out 200-300 damage in return.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I've been doing the lagombi and khezu HR quest for aqua jewels, but what are people's go-to double monster quest for farming bloodrun jewels? I know Narwa is the best overall but I really can't stand doing it more than once/day.

The double Diablos quest is quite good.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any tips on how to play SnS? I've watch some tutorial videos but I feel that I am mostly button-mashing without really knowing what I am doing.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Oldstench posted:

Like any weapon, memorize the key combos and deliberately input them instead of mashing buttons. Practice your positioning in the training area.

I think that my problem with specifically SnS is that the combos seem to flow into each other and you can pretty much chain them together in a variety of ways. The other weapons I've tried out have shorter combos with a more definite start and end. But I guess I just have to grind the combos, as you say.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Junkie Disease posted:

So Sony paid Capcom to slow walk world for pc and dump cross-platform, this needs more traction
Was that actually true? Some Reddit poster claimed that it was a misread https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/muhfjv/no_sony_did_not_pay_to_delay_mhw_on_pc_and_had/

The original tweeter also seems to have walked back the statement

https://twitter.com/AsteriskAmpers1/status/1384426735199047680?s=20

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’ve done a paralysis SnS build with diversion dec as a fun mp build. Too bad so few monsters are vulnerable to para but you still get at least a couple of windows of free hits in every hunt.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
It’s probably coming on Tuesday or Wednesday judging by the live event on Tuesday.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Narwa is one of the fights that becomes so much better in multi. Especially when I can run around and whiff my attacks while three Japanese superhunters with ranged weapons go to town and kill it in 10 minutes.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I by accident discovered a scheme for a weapon in the felyne shrine in the buddy plaza. Has that always been there?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
30-ish minutes to the live event, gonna be fun to see what's coming.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I decided that 2.0 would be a good time to branch out and try new weapons. Forged a GS and took it out for a spin but I am seeing that this will be quite a steep learning curve. It took me like 5 tries and a final 25 minute hunt to complete the new capture a Rajang quest.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sudden Javelin posted:

admittedly I feel like Rajang of all things is gonna be rough for trying a brand new weapon, especially a slower one
True, but Rajang’s moves are rather telegraphed so I thought it’d be good practice. And I did get better, it was just frustrating as well.

How do they avoid being interrupted when hit, for instance at 1:32? Do they just tackle through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think I am getting the hang of GS. Went from a 25 min hunt to capture a single Rajang to completing the hunt Magna and Narga quest in the same amount of time. I can definitely improve further though. Are the punishing draw and critical draw decos worth fitting into the build? They look good but I remember seeing someone on Reddit arguing that they're quite worthless.