Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Professor Latency posted:

With switch adapters not shipping in time and the 8bitdo pro 2 coming out soon after release, I've got a couple weeks of joycon playing staring back at me. Pray for my poor soul

I use this and it's great https://www.amazon.com/Magic-S-Wireless-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo/dp/B081V8G1YX/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"We have a Palamute at home"

The Palamute at home:

Bet that dog can only drift on tile floors.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Harrow posted:

Does anyone here have the Hori Split Pad Pro? I get the feeling I'm going to want to play handheld sometimes and that the joycons are not going to be particularly comfortable for that.

It's good

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Switch Lite has a USB port right? Can you stand it up and use a cheap $20 Power-A wired controller from Target?

e: ah the top google result I was reading was for Hori's USB PlayStand, I guess Switch Lite is USB-C only.

Get a USB-C to A adapter

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Neat you can change the pictures in your guidebook of monsters and endemic life with pictures you take with the camera.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

I don't really get the utility/design reasons behind designing this nice village setting and then once you get to high rank, forcing you to go into the hub to see the high rank quest list. Like, just let me see the full quest list from either of the twins?

I'm curious how the lategame grind is going to feel without investigations (I assume they're not in, they haven't cropped up yet) cause those felt like a good way to get a bit more of a chance to get the rare poo poo. Do you just keep repeating the main quests that contain the monster you want poo poo from? For some reason that feels more nakedly grindy even though it's essentially just a nomenclature thing.

One of the actions ( the bar with your cohoot/palamute/changing areas ) is to view the quest board. You can use that to join MP hunts from anywhere. You do have to go to the hub to start a solo hunt though.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm confused about Great Wirebugs. When I place one on a lily, is it permanent? Or did I just use one up for that hunt only?

Permanent

boz
Oct 16, 2005

404notfound posted:

The silkbind moves for HH don't seem that useful. One is a small gap closer that executes your songs, though mobility isn't ever an issue with the self-buff active all the time, and one does a decent chunk of damage but is a slow two-wirebug recharge. Am I missing anything about them?

The two hit 2 bug one does crazy good damage, and it's super good for something I don't see everyone online doing.

Go find one of the other monsters on the hunt, do your two wirebug move, and it should be ready to mount. Then take it over to the monster you're hunting and go to town on it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Kagrenac posted:

Cats gather and steal a lot of materials over the course of a quest and have lots of useful moves to steal more stuff/heal or buff you/disrupt the monster. The main benefit a dog has other than getting around is letting you safely sharpen while riding it which doesn't apply to gunners.

A cat with the summeown endemic life move basically guarantees you will always have 3 wirebugs without going out of your way to pick them up. That move alone makes them far more useful than dogs imo since having an extra wirebug is the most powerful buff in the game.

It never even crossed my mind to hop on the dog to sharpen in the middle of a fight. drat

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm using the echo style. I'm not sure what is different between the styles tbh. Does the new style just play the songs automatically? Like I'm rarely playing songs except for mag trio. Maybe I should switch over.

Edit: yeah google gives almost nothing about it. I mean it seems like the echo style is better for setting up mag trio because you don't need to play the notes twice?

Yeah with Echo you only have to play the note once and then hit ZR to activate it, rather than playing it twice in a row and having it activate automatically.

I definitely prefer echo style.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

What dictates the rate buddy missions and dojo session advance? I assume it's one tick per mission completed.

That's right

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I put 100s of hours into World and Iceborne and still haven't seen a Protective Polish Jewel

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Monster Hunter: Fall

boz
Oct 16, 2005
After watching that video about Glaive and learning about how doing moves in the air ups your damage, that loving FF7 Wyvern Dive attack hits so drat hard. Now I just need the armor/glaive back from World/FF14

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent gyro controller that's considerably cheaper than the switch pro?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8JKVNT

8BitDo Pro+

Or wait for the Pro2 that's coming out.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

stev posted:

I just want to see what happens to the captured monsters. :ohdear: For my own peace of mind.

You know that village can't just eat Dango

They probably make Aknosom heat the grease they cook it in.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Do arena quests scale to one person? Can't remember if they did in World or not.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmslZyfbFo8

Hunting Horn Supremacy continues. For some reason they thought it was cool to put Health Recovery (L), Health Regen, and Earplugs (L) all together on one song list.

Used this today after seeing that video and I can confirm it's great and feels really good. Also don't use any potions at all.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Barroth is my favorite monster and I want the jade one back thanks for reading.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

Speaking of Switch skills, you think they'll add a 3rd option for each of them, or a 4th alt skill for every weapon when they release more? (Likely with an expansion though maybe the story patches will have some surprises)

Maybe they'll give each weapon a 4th skill to inflict wounding like in Iceborne, wouldn't that be great?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

If you don’t like it, can’t you just not push the button to mount and use it as an opportunity to get some big hits in while they are stunned? Or you can mount them and ram them into a wall a few times to end it.

I like it because it usually means an extra 4-5 material drops if you can find another monster to battle.

I'm pretty sure hitting the monster also makes you mount.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Mr Snips posted:

yo rampage mode loving SUCKS

I tried to go into this with an open mind since I dislike tower defence at the best of times but it's so unfun with special monsters appearing and destroying half the level without any warning and then getting constantly stunlocked trying to set up any new turrets before it destroys the final gate

Rampage is much better in multi

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I don't know about you all, but the more I use Gunlance, the less I actually guard with it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Badly Jester posted:

The absolutely hideous Rhenoplos Gloves provide 2 Artillery if I'm not mistaken.

Robot hands are the best

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just played through some of the Stories 2 demo before finding out it was going to release on PC and then stopping right after.

Game is a ton of fun but I imagine the PC version will run much better.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Zore posted:

Was not expecting the Generations Deviants so that rules. Also their post game boss releases being Kulve Taroth, Kulve Taroth again but harder and Fatalis feels kinda :effort:

also do we really need 5 different Rathalos. (Wings of Ruin, original, azure, dreadking, silver)

Rathalos is MH Goku

boz
Oct 16, 2005
One is physically Goku and the other is Goku in spirit

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I should have been more specific, Rath is like Goku in DBFZ, a ton of different versions of the same character.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

GMG had a pre-order sale so it was hard to pass up.

Oh drat thanks for this, but now I don't know if I want the regular or deluxe.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Steam saying less than an hour I'm hyped.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Do these games typically have a new game plus or more of a post game content type thing? I made a second character who looks absolutely nuts and kind of want to start over, but I'll hold off if I can come back around in the future.

Stories or Rise?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I think Jho has less life then monsters from the desert area-part of the game. Definitely a bit disappointed, it's a total pushover and didn't even try and throw another monster at me :/

I'm wrapping up quests and upgrading gear/genes before taking on the final boss of the story and lucked the hell out and got a Nergigante- this thing is absurd. It's level 39 and already has a higher attack than the rest of my party which are all level 46-47. I love my cactus-pitbull-lizard :allears:

I sat there resetting for ages to get a Super Rare den and a Teostra and he doesn't hold a candle to my Nurgle.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

If you tab over with R, you switch from Low Rank to High Rank. High Rank monsters have their own entry, and that's where the missing monsters get filled.

How do you reset for dens? Just in case I decide I hate myself and want to try something similar... I still don't have a Nerg.

What was said before and I'll also add this for Nerg, he'll spawn in Rare High Rank dens and also regular Rare dens. Best place for him is the Terga Mountain Base (I believe that's what it is called)

From the cat stand with either Kula/Rathian/Rajang's ability you will be able to see 4 or 5 dens.

Don't forget to have the Finding charm/prayer active, and also when you get the den to pop up save before going in so you can savescum the den if need be.

Edit: not deviljho, but rajang

boz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 26, 2021

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

this game is a good buy (once I managed to get around horrific australian pricing via online stores :v )

Just high as gently caress hanging out with a goofy cat

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Jehuti posted:

I've been having such a rough time with HR, I'm level 40 and just got some new monsties up to my level (pickle, kush, and silver narg) and every single fight was absolutely kicking my rear end until I looked up their stats and realized that at level 40 those monsties are weak as piss and double their stats once their at 50.

Now that ive done some exp farming they're suddenly so much more usable.

I did not know this, I may have to reevaluate some of mine.

Also I wish I could send my captured monsters to the slaughterhouse in exchange for materials.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Aranan posted:

Is there a skill for sword and shield? I've seen skills for every other weapon type (chance to retain charge for hammer/greatsword, increased power shot/arc shot damage on bow, increased chance of generating shells for gunlance) but nothing for good ol' SNS.

The counterattack skill I believe

boz
Oct 16, 2005
For getting to chests I'd recommend ivy climb and rock breaker, I probably used swim the least throughout the whole game.

Edit: Like mentioned above definitely get a palamute.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Don't forget that for most of the time he's with you he doesn't thank you for healing him.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Wow and I thought Gravios was the best with your character giving the fire signal like an anime admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

Pal's kinship is also notable just for the shocked look on your rider after blowing up a small area

Then you pet them to make sure they never turn on you