Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huxley posted:

Monster Hunter: Rise
Nintendo Switch March 26, PC 2022
The newest mainline game, Rise combines a lot of quality-of-life upgrades people loved about World with an older-school aesthetic. The newest game in the series and the first proper new-gen MH game on the Switch, folks are very excited for the series to return to a handheld after the explosion in popularity and QoL from World.
What QoL stuff is Rise going to be missing, are there some bad old things I'm gonna be remembering soon?

(e) not posting a weapon i believe superior, i love all my sharp hunks of monster bits welded together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Singleplayer and multiplayer progression being separate is the only big one I can think of. Coming from PC World going back to 1080p 30fps is an adjustment as well, though I know that doesn't bother everyone
That's not so bad. Long as the 30fps stays at 30fps I'm not bothered, and... honestly, playing campaign with friends in MHW was more pain than it was worth, so the two being apart again is almost a perk :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Forgive me I can’t tell if this is a serious post or not.

i assume everyone is speaking true because i'm fuckin tired of parsing irony and sarcasm. so that poster had a Spicy Hot Take imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

With this new mounting system, what's the etiquette gonna be in multiplayer? Used to be when someone got a mount you backed the gently caress off and sharpened or something, so you don't flinch it and ruin the free topple.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

then there better be convenient sunsets for us to ride into the distance toward

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've played some of the demo now, and yeah i broke my rule and preordered :shobon:

I keep forgetting to use the wirebug controls, except one. That sweet recovery move with zl+b, is there any way to get to that with weapon drawn without having to get hit first?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My Guiding Lands hot take: kinda grindy and meh, but the default combat music loving ruled

vs Rathian normally: :geno:
vs Rathian with that: this fight will echo through history :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xe9XjUSmyQ

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I gave swaxe a go, and man, is it me or is it REALLY hard to get the sword charged up and blasting phials now? Even after I do the power axe thing (whatever that's called now), it takes like 2 whole monster downs worth of time to go from zero to explodin'. Never even got around to trying to use discharge

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm glad to not have to bother dealing with the fartgas anymore, though

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

If you're the kind of gamer who likes the difficulty set to baby mode maybe... :smuggo:

and with Rise that Crap Guide joke is more apt than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x14d4FY-QrM

this is ticklin' my happy brain spots in a way not felt since Sekiro

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i need another weapon that lets me be all about the sweet parries & counters; lance & ls don't sound or feel chunky enough for my tastes

irrespective of damage numbers, none of the attacks ever really give me a sense that I just properly ruined a monster's day (like e.g. hammer)

(e) I tried learning CB guardpointing at one time, and never got used to the really tight window

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wait, I thought CB's savage axe mode was gone?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

We just thought it was for awhile because it wasn't in the demo but its back in the form of a switch skill

switch skill? you mean the wirebug actions?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

You get to pick two wirebug moves and one switch skill move, which replaces one part of a weapon's moveset with another. I could be wrong but for CB I think you give up charged sword for savage axe

awesome, I will be happy to make that trade

that being said, I just tried lance and uh that tether is really really good??? :stare: and oddly, the charged XA wide swing feels pretty worth, and beefy too.

Just needs better sounds. That wood *thunk* for blocking on the demo lance, :hmmno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

cohsae posted:

It's unlocked this is not a drill

mods can we get a fuckin sixer in here?!?!?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

curses, the other "on-call" guy in my team at work beat me to the punch for time off tomorrow :argh:

... at least I work from home, soooo :v:

(e) i want to put that tag back on but i'm waiting to see if any of these proposed new ones actually show up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i am not handing out 14 separate gang tags sorry

e: if someone makes them you can feel free to buy them for yourselves!

we can still setup tags on the server by buying them as avatars first, right

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i've still got a ton of demo to do, personally. some two dozen single player hunts left, I've not tried Hammer or GL or SnS yet (and that's just my primary-interest weapons), and haven't seen Magmawhatever 'cos Mizutsune's soap is wrecking my rear end and I got a giant soapy shoulder-chip about it :argh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:eyepop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hellioning posted:

I can't wait to fail miserably at wirebugging.

yeah.... yeah

(e) is mount "status" built up the same way as always, with aerial attacks?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh good, Khezu's theme is intact!

i love that, without fail, everyone carries this joke

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

To my immense surprise I’m really liking LS in the demo

so many counters :fap:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

the mp scaling fully sucked in world and i'm really hoping it's back to how it was in earlier games

like super lame spending an entire hunt trying to break parts with a group and then going solo and doing it in a minute, easy

It sure seems like every bubblefox I've fought in the demo has been broken to pieces by the time we triple carted

no i haven't gotten a single successful multiplayer mitzu hunt, why do you ask :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wait...........the game isn't even getting an "ending" until an unannounced 3.0 version and HR won't unlock until the end of April?????

a different ending, and they don't mean high rank mons but the nearly meaningless number on your profile

i post this because you scared me :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

tokenbrownguy posted:

This is bullshit. Capcom can't loving remove my ability to bitch about these drat loving kids and their ez horns.

I was just about past my decision paralysis on first weapon, and now I gotta face it again for NuHorn vs OGHorn? :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i’ve been staring at the item box for 15 minutes now trying to decide which weapon to take out first, please send help :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Made my character and my buddies :3:

Ugh they put a LS on me by default. I feel unclean

I'm actually really enjoying LS this time around :shobon: all the Iai stuff is sweet (yes I know most of it was in IB)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm having trouble keeping the effects of the different LS counters straight

- zR+A mid-combo does that back-step and return swing, is that even a counter at all? Does it have any side-effects?
- the iai counter gives me a level on the gauge, but what does the silkbind counter do besides sick damage?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

MH: Rise is my first MH game and I used Insect Glaive as my first weapon and I have no idea what I'm doing or how to figure out what to do. I like the small cats.

If you're hitting monsters you're probably doing it right

IG in particular needs to eat buffs using the kinsect, if you get the red one you're in good shape but go for all of em when you feel more comfortable

Also, PSA to series newbies: :siren: turn off auto-sheathe in the options. :siren: Nothing will screw you over more - or make you more angry - than getting stuck putting away your lance with an attack incoming.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 26, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

What the hell? Why would this be on by default?

I have no fuckin' idea, they introduced it in world and it was just as stupid there

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nice, I will make that change. How do I use the Wirebug with my weapon drawn? I want to Wire up the wall then come down with my weapon but that doesn't work?

There might be some IG-specific chicanery you can get up to, but for the most part you need to sheathe, run up the wall, jump off and draw into an attack mid-air with X (or zR on some weapons - charging hammer, going axe on CB, whatever)

These don't require wirebugs unless you need a lot of air, though, so maybe you meant something else

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Here's a good video about other options, control configs, camera stuff, etc. you might want to do. He puts it more for World players who want to go back to their comfort zone, but most of the suggestions are good ones in general - especially swapping the controls for the Action Bar and Item Bar, to make items more accessible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8D-PT8v5w

He doesn't mention the sheathing thing though (presumably 'cos it's so fundamental), so I'll say it again: :ducksiren: turn off Auto-Sheathe :ducksiren:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Harrow posted:

I always put way too much thought into what I name characters so now I'm trying to decide what to name my hunter and buddies

Seems like everyone in the village has Japanese names this time so I feel compelled to stay on-theme

Similarly, for the first time I've veered away from MH voice barks and switched to Japanese. Just feels too weird otherwise v:v:v

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

:agreed:

If every big monster gets one of those I'm gonna be real stoked.

Arzuros' was so goofy trying to make it look threatening :3:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alarumklok posted:

ah, my favorite part of monster hunter: spending 12 hours in the training room trying to figure out what weapon I'm going to use before giving up and rand()ing

it me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wheeeeeeeeeeeee

https://i.imgur.com/U2z7w52.mp4

swagaxe muhfuckers :black101:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Was Switch Axe always able to bail out of Wild Swing or the Wild Swing morph attack at so many different points? I swear wild swing feels like one of its SAFEST moves now :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Quick Sheathe 3 LS is kind of insane :stwoon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Man this has to be one of the nicest looking games in Switch

It's pretty remarkable given the crap resolution, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU