Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snake Maze posted:

You can look it up ingame now too, the hunter’s notes have detailed hitzones and drop rates

I love that the game has this info! Only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't tell you which body part you have to break to get a thing, unless I'm missing something. Yeah, for a lot of stuff it's obvious. If you want fangs you break the head; if you want claws you break the feet or whatev, but what about Plates? Both monsters I have wanted Plates for have been obtained from breaking the head, but is this always the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Norns posted:

I'd like to be able to swap cat skills but also play as the missing 15th weapon.

Yes this, very much. And throw in a 16th while we're at it and let us play as the dogs too!

Guess I might as well share this too while I'm here. This is going in my "favorite kills" list.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1381734055834570758

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oldstench posted:

Speaking of being carted, I just gave up on Uragaan after being carted at least 10 times. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do to keep from getting splatted. He OHKOs me unless I am perfect with my dodges or blocks. Any advice?

In addition to "upgrade our armor," you might have more luck with a more defensive weapon like the lance, or a more evasive one like the Insect Glaive. I personally have more experience with the Insect Glaive, and it is drat handy being able to vault over Uragaan when he pulls his bullshit.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Starting to get very mad at Pawprint Stamp farming

Every time I go Pawprint farming with my two Gathering cats, I get bored of it after 10 minutes, quit the Expedition, and find 2-3 of them in the reward box that they Plundered for me. Good kitties!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 16, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Don't forget that GU lets you play as a cat! Try it out at least. It's the only game where you can do that!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

For the passives, status attack up and KO king are the two big ones; you don't use cats for their damage, more for utility.

For the actives, it depends on your weapon and playstyle; I personally like healing bubble, vase of vitality, and either shock tripper or shock trap. Different people prefer different things; you might want stamina reduction for bow/dual blades, or power drum for attack/defense, for instance.

For leveling, I just throw them in the dojo and feed the dojo a laginapple. It only costs you one apple for 10 quests, and usually levels them up a few levels each time. Once they hit level 20, they learn pilfer, and you can take them with you from there.

Man. I really hope we get the ability to re-roll buddy skills in a patch. I scouted a bunch of buddies modeled after childhood pets, but I didn't know what skills were good to look out for and now I wouldn't want to bring any of them with me on serious hunts. :smith:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

This is accurate. I was struggling to get through Hub 7, Using the mats I had I crafted a few gems, whichever sounded most helpful to me that I could make, and finished Hub 7. The gems made a noticeable difference, especially Recovery Speed. That let me recover most of the recoverable damage I take from blocking.

Now I’m building decos that sound fun and help, I’m not chasing weakness exploit, and I’m having a great time and am even feeling more powerful as I pile on the non meta skills. I’m using skills to shore up gaps in my newbie MH skills.

Chasing the meta sounds like a quick way for to burn myself out on an otherwise very excellent game.

Evade Extender and Evade Window are my comfort skills. They're just so helpful in not getting hit, and they help a lot with mobility too!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Evade extender rules. I have two points of it on a charm that is otherwise devoid of features. I haven’t been able to bring myself to remove it yet cause I like my long blocking hops.

Do you use dive jewel for leap of faith? It “allows you to do a dive evade when facing toward large monsters and extends the dive evade distance.” I have one in my head but only because I had nothing else to make at the time. I don’t do much dive evading with my GL but it sounds like something you’d find comforting?

Edit: is there an evade extender deco?

I haven't tried Leap of Faith but that sounds like something I might be interested in. I'll have a look.

And yes Evade Window and Evade Extender have decos. They're 2-slot decos so you can't just throw them on willy-nilly, but they exist. I have killed so many Barioths at this point, for various reasons- one of which being his claws are used in one of the evasion decos.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

Am I the only person who can’t remember the difference between Barioth, Barroth, and Basarios? I’m getting better at it, but I’ve definitely gone on several unintended hunts because those names are so similar.

I get Basarios mixed up with Gravios becuase they look almost the drat same. For some reason I don't get Barroth and Barioth mixed up despite the names being one letter off because they look so different. I mostly have a picture of monsters in my head, not so much the name. Hell most monsters I call by dumb cutesey names anyway so I barely engage with their actual names.

Barroth is "Muddy Buddy", Narg is "Cat Bat," Tobi is "Rude Boy," etc.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I've seen people bring up that the girl armor is usually worse, and presumed that led some people to lean towards male hunters.

I am disappointed that the lady version of armor often has random flesh gaps, boob armor, and is generally unnecessarily horny compared to the male.

Doesn't stop me from playing as a lady hunter because I will always preferentially play as a lady if given the choice.

And also so I can be the prettiest princess.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it okay if I talk about MH Stories in here?

Played a bit, I am just before what I think is the tutorial dungeon. Got to say I was expecting to hate Navirou (The Akira Toriyama knock-off lookin Felyne) but he is actually kind of charming.

I don't think anyone is going to mind if you talk about Stories in here. I adore that game and I'm stoked for the sequel in uh... whenever it is? Soon I think?

Navi is surprisingly good for an obnoxious sidekick character, yes. His bad jokes grew on me and he has a good amount of development.

Mostly I just liked collecting different ride-on buddies and giving them silly names.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Personally, regular hunting didn't give me nearly enough money. I was constantly broke and it was frustrating as hell. I did like, 2 rounds of mining and made enough money to craft anything I drat well wanted.

How much money are you going through that you need to hit rocks that often? Are you waiting for a mining upsurge and wearing Geologist armor?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shine posted:

Do quests, and check the expedition between quests to see if mining upsurge is active. If so, then spend 10 chill minutes mining to make a ton of money, and then go back to hunting. There, now you can get YouTube money and also enjoy the game.

Yeah, that's what I do, although more often it's checking for "Local Item" upsurge to get some sweet sweet Kamura Points.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Yeah, it took me forever to get enough tickets to make the cat claw dual blades, and now what I'm short on is Kamura tickets for the paint brush glaive. I just can't win here!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I got some Kamura tickets doing rampages which was a relief because I didn’t fancy going back to the village for them.

Wait do you only get Kamura tickets from doing single player quests? Hub quests don't count?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Star posted:

Narwa is one of the fights that becomes so much better in multi. Especially when I can run around and whiff my attacks while three Japanese superhunters with ranged weapons go to town and kill it in 10 minutes.

This has been my experience as well, but I think I could handle her well enough by myself if I wanted to. Haven't done any ranged weapons on her but Insect Glaive feels great on her (Aerial and dive bomb her weakspot, KAPOW), and so do Dual Blades (Spine Renders for days!).

Edit: I have seen a lot of complaints about that fight too and I think it's... fine? As far as spectacle fights go, it's fairly straightforward and not annoying. I like it.

Injuryprone posted:

What other weapons are near hammer in terms of braindead combos and poo poo to monitor?

Thirding Hunting Horn. If you like hammer, you'll also dig the doot.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 26, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saxophone posted:

I kinda want another FF crossover, but I also remember behemoth being pubbie Waterloo. Not that I couldn't hunt with goons, but yeah.

I never did Behemoth the "proper" way. I installed a mod that scaled him down to manageable levels solo. He was about on par with a Tempered Elder, tough but not unreasonable. I still say the Behemoth fight was a good idea but the execution was poor.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tekopo posted:

I was wondering which monster made people have their "okay, now I understand Monster Hunter" moment, the one monster that was a complete roadblock for you until you got to grips with the mechanisms of the game.

For me, since I started the series with World, it was Anjanath. Anjanath was the first real challenge in the game, and I remember that I carted and failed his mission several times because he seemed to do so much damage that I couldn't just take the hits and just heal like I'd been able to do with every other monster before him. It was Anjanath that really made me evaluate what kind of skills I was using, the tools that I was bringing to the fight, and how to spot his movement patterns and either dodge them or be in a position to strike back at him when an opening was present. Beating Anjanath really made me appreciate the game properly and it's funny to go back to him (both in World and Rise) and see how easily I can beat him now.

For me it wasn't a particular monster, just something I gradually realized by degrees. I have kind of a weird start with the series. I started, kinda, with 3U, but didn't get very far in it. I fought the early monsters up to... Royal Ludroth or so? But I kinda bounced off it because I didn't like the underwater combat. I beat the first few monsters with little issue, even started testing out different weapons by beating up Great Jaggi because I had figured out how he operated.

4U was the first where I really dived deep in the game, but even then I stopped shortly after hitting G-Rank/Post game single player. I was doing okay. I was winning hunts. I sort of understood what I was doing, but I never messed with armor skills or whatnot. I just kind of crafted whatever I thought looked neat.

Generations and Generations Ultimate I mostly played as the cat, so that's a whole different ball game.

I still don't really think about monster patterns or whatnot? It's weird. Like I go in, I watch a monster, I look at what it's doing and pick a moment to go in and hit it, but I don't think to myself "Ok he just did a claw swipe, next it'll do a tail slam so I have to stand over here to not get hit."

I wasn't really aware there was a right or wrong way to play the game until I started playing with other people... I kinda described what I do and how I play (watch the monster, dodge a lot, go in to hit it when I have the chance) and my hunting friends told me yeah more or less that's what you do. :shrug: Seems to work out well enough.

World was the first time I started actually trying on armor sets and skills... but World also completely revamped how skills even work and it's much easier to wrap your head around. Christ the old skill system was dumb.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As DB main, yeah kinda. Demon Flight and Shrouded Vault are mechanically great and really up the survivability and aggressiveness of the weapon but it effectively remains a very simple weapon. You button mash and try to sneak Blade Dances whenever you can without putting yourself in a bad spot. That’s… all there is to it. I personally really dislike Piercing Bind. It can do a big hit but it requires follow up on a monster that will generally not be sitting still and the slow recovery means you’re putting yourself short one Vault which could save your rear end.

The most complexity and nuance of the weapon is not even in the hunt itself. It’s in putting together the 5-6 various elemental builds and picking the right one for each hunt.

It’s a great loving weapon and I still love it but…. It’s also super boring compared to some of the flashier playstyles other weapons have.

I am extremely bad at the game, generally. I button mash and flail around like a dingus. Dual Blades allow me to button mash and flail around like a dingus and still kill monsters. Therefore they appeal to me very much.

I also do Hunting Horn (also very easy) for multiplayer hunts, and hammer. I have a Bugstick set, but I'm trying to avoid going to hard on Bugstick because I mained that all through 4U and World and I am forcing myself to branch out. Bugstick is really good here, though. I like it a lot. Braindead red essence with the Carnage Beetle is extremely, EXTREMELY good.

Game good. Would still like Prowler mode, but game good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone built the rock paper scissor armor sets for fighting the elder dragons? I kinda wanna put away my max smashing builds and dress up as a purple wizard.

I made them all. I had the most success against Kush because poison just shuts her the gently caress down hard. I also made the Chameleos layered armor cuz hell yeah who wouldn't want to dress up like a purple wizard?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bazel is a good boy and I will hear no slander against him.

He is a friend to all children.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So played this a bit with my friend tonight and had a good time. After trying to use the Sw/Sh for a bit, I decided it had too much going on for me. Too many combos that I couldn't figure out. I like it's speed though and I may revisit it.

I've stuck with HH since and I'm enjoying it. It's a touch slower but not too slower and once you figure out the 3 different moves you have plus performance it pretty much plays itself.

Ideally, I'd do the former for solo play and the latter for Hub play since I do like the buffs.

I also checked out Insect Glaive and it just seems super cool but gently caress if it looks massively complicated.

Anyway game's incomprehensible but it's simple enough in that I just need to bash or slash monsters and not die. What I mean by that is that it explains just enough so you know-ish what to do, but there's just so much left unsaid. It's actually kind of impressive.

Take it from a dumbass who is not very good at the game: Bugstick is not that complicated.

It does suck early on until you get better bugs, though, so holding off for now is a good idea. Check the shop for a Carnage Beetle and snap one of them up as soon as you see it. That's the bug you want.

Hold ZR and it X to fire the bug. Aim it somewhere on the monster. Your bug will hit it and suck up some sweet juice for you. ZR and A to call it back and get that juice for yourself. The most important juice is red because it increases your attack and makes your combos faster. Red juice is typically found on the monster's head, but remember that beetle I said to get? It always gets red juice, plus one other color. It's a very set and forget bug. Once you have your red juice you can go ham.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

12 Almudron and no golden orb yet. I am swimming in plates. I could have a table set for 6 with leftover with all of my plates.

I just want my spinny tron dual blades, game!

I got one of his gems with little trouble. My current White Whale is Magnamalo Gems.

Except Captain Ahab had it easier than I do. He only had to find Moby-Dick once. I need several of Marshmallow's lousy gems.

At least he's more enjoyable to fight than the mud dragon. I've taken to just doing Join Requests and getting 2-3 people with Bowguns who wreck him in under 10 minutes.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The solution is to just nix flinching as a mechanic entirely. It's stupid and it serves no purpose.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I dunno what it is about almudron but it was the tail that I could never get.

I got my first tail after getting multiple orbs. Also I was doing online and I think nobody was really going for the tail. I don’t understand how the big poison sac in the tail interacts with tail cuts

I’ve been solo farming Anjanath for the gem and man getting used to these monsters solo with different weapons is a new game. I never knew anjanath had legs you can break which turn into weak points because I was either playing online where everything is just kinda a clusterfuck or I was playing solo hammer and smacking it in the face exclusively

Really? Even using hammer on Angie I still went to break the legs, cuz breaking them makes him fall over twitching, which gives you a great opportunity to unga bunga on his face.

Or maybe I'm just bad. I love using hammer but I can never manage to go after the face exclusively. I usually have to go for legs > knockdown > face, or wait for a status proc.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ok this is starting to irritate me. Do we have the best method for getting Lazurite Jewels? I need them for literally everything lately and at best I'm getting like... one of them from killing Apex Arzuros. I thought you'd also be able to get them from the 7*+ Rampages, and I'd prefer to do those because they give better prizes overall, but so far I have yet to get a Lazurite Jewel from these.

Help me out. I need so many of these things and getting all of one for 10 minutes of beating a giant angry bear is just not doing it for me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

pixaal posted:

They are pretty rare from Rampages, I got plenty getting my 10 kills on each of the 2.0 monsters. The answer to most monster hunter problems is just play it drops. Stop worrying and enjoy the fight.

Right yeah, but for the Lazurite Jewels in particular you can only get them from killing certain things, and I need so many.

I enjoy killing poo poo but I prefer to kill poo poo and also know that I'm making progress on a goal. Apexes and Elder Dragons though, yes, I can kill those. Still better than base World's endgame where you were just smashing Tempered Elder Dragons over and over and OVER.

And on the plus side, I have a dragon hoard of extra mats and my Melding Pot is overflowing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Star posted:

Personally I’ve had less luck with the elder dragons when it comes to getting lazarites. Apex monsters are great though. I had a kill today where I got 7 or 8 altogether.

poo poo, really? So I've just been getting unlucky. Good to know! I'll go beat up some more bears today. Maybe some Rathian too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Magnamalo is a ghost that is also a tiger made of explosions, and the devs really like him and want you to like him too.

There's a couple quests in GU involving Tigrex that reference that poem, and because of that I will always think of Tigrex is Tie-grex, pronounced like tiger, and not Tee-grex which seems to be the "official" way to pronounce it.

This is the hill I will die on.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Holy god dammit you need Magna Orbs to craft Handicraft Gems, I never even realized that until I went to craft one.

I finally got a dang gem last night. I got, no joke, 13 Plates in the course of my quest.

Now I don't even know what to do with it. I could make a Handicraft deco or make one of the Marshmallow weapons.

Either way I could throw a party for the entirety of Kamura Village and serve food on Commemorative Magnamalo Plates.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Mag gloves are also really good (Handicraft 2, and a 2 slot) and need a gem. The LBG is one of the better LBGs ("Endgame" worthy for many ammo types) and needs a gem. Handicraft as you mentioned needs a gem, but it's a 3 slot deco so you're not gonna have room for that many in a build usually.

I've been using Mag to test out new weapons and loadouts which keeps the fight interesting because I need so many of the drat gems. He's also imo a really hard fight to test out new weapons on

Hmm. So I'm hearing that if I want most bang for my buck out of that gem, I should make the Magna gun.

Thus far I have been reluctant to try bowguns because the ammo management sounds like a giant pain, but maybe I can make one and save it for something that really annoys me down the road...

I've dabbled in Gunlance too so maybe I should make a Howlitzer as well. It's nice when there's one weapon that's just The One to Use. I suppose it's also boring... but for lazy shitters like me, I like to have a "one and done" weapon and not mess with things a lot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

If we're talking about theory crafting armor builds and stuff, anybody wanna help me with hammer? I am bad at this.

I picked Tigrex hammer cuz I read upthread that it's a good one with Silkbind Boost. Then I discovered that I don't even have Impact Crater (probably need to unlock it), and I am a big dumb dumb who rarely remembers to use Wirebug moves in combat other than the Wirefall. How does one Impact Crater properly?

Also assuming I might not remember or get how to Impact Crater, I also have the Narg hammer. Would that one be better?

Other suggestions for the armor? I don't have any more slots in there for the last bit of Weakness Exploit, nor do I have a Talisman for it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:doh: Derp, right. I did mention I am bad at this? I'll look into Wirebug Whisperer and switch around more WEX and Crit boost intead of Slugger and Stamina thief. My logic was, more time monster spends knocked over twitching or tired > more opportunities to Impact Crater it in the face.

I'll see about rejiggering this. Thanks ya'll!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Dont like max might on hammer. Need stamina full for 3 seconds ti activate it and between all the charging and rolling that doesn't happen often. Maaaybe it would active for the final two hits on impact crater?

Oh word? Well nuts to that then. I used that in World with Stamina Surge. Goodbye to that idea then. Thanks for pointing that out!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let's see them guild cards!

Twitter link because I'm lazy

https://twitter.com/Silver_FalconSA/status/1392244786392813568?s=20

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Tekopo posted:

For hammer, slugger level 1 is probably worth it, but getting it up to level 3 is probably not all that worth it, especially if you lower your damage in order to reach that level. That level 1 gives you 20% more KO, which is a nice step up. I have a charm a two 2slot, 1 slugger charm (with affinity sliding as well, but that's nowhere near as good as it was in World), and I'm pretty happy with it. If I could find an AB charm I would jump at the chance to slot it in instead, but even with AB5, the Tigrex hammer does a lot of damage.

I am having a big case of the smooth brain today. What's AB?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

chumbler posted:

Sorry, I meant the weapon ramp up skills, which are mistranslated. Like narwa soul suggests you get more attack for using it with a full narwa set, but it's actually a boatload of affinity with the full ibushi set, and ibushi soul suggests it raises elemental damage with the ibushi set, but it's armor with the narwa set.

And then there's jump master.

Wait, what about Jump Master?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have been cart #3, there are times where Magnamalo will just fixate on you for a solid minute and just never let the gently caress up. Now I *always* eat for Moxie and bring a farcaster if I need to escape that bullshit. Sometimes poo poo happens, everyone carts. Everyone. Though there are more than a couple of shitheads who change their teammate carted message from "Don't sweat it!" to "GO BACK TO LR" or "USE POTIONS SCRUB" and they can just walk right into traffic.

Mine says "At least the cart works!"

How much of a poo poo head does that make me? I thought it was funny. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m pretty much all in on Hunting Horn and basically this last week and a half has been joining random HR hunts and showering them with tunes. The amount of Kushala/Teostra/Rathalos hunts I get is…. Noticeable. So yeah, people really rather not do these hunts alone.

My last Teostra had 3 Hunting Horns lmao

I stole your idea last night after I got two Magna Gems in a single hunt and figured I'm done with that jerk for the time being.

Joined some random hunts with my hunting horn and dooted them to victory. It was fun! Thanks for the idea. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I know. I often do it's just the whole process seems rather unnecessary to what could've been done. I know I shouldn't focus on these things because it can be a very fun game but it's just so baffling at times.

Hunting is hard work and burns a lot of calories! That's why you never hunt on an empty stomach. Think of it like that. You're giving your hunter the energy they need to kick rear end.