Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I picked up GU when it was on sale some time ago but didn't end up playing it much, so I guess this'll be my first real MonHun! I like being support classes in games, but how does the horn fare as a solo weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfT1dLo4oU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I decided to stick with gunlance despite stumbling over it in my brief run with the demo, and I'm really warming up to it. I like that you have to be a little more deliberate with it, but there's still a beefy shield to absorb attacks when I'm trying to learn monster patterns.

I'm still feeling overwhelmed with all the different systems in the game, like all the things you can do with additional buddies, plus looking up some weapon guides online led me down a rabbit hole of technical discussions of frame counts and "true raw" damage and whatnot. But the basic game loop is a lot simpler than I thought it would be, in a good way.

Grouping with people is also pretty painless, although splitting progress between single-player and multiplayer seems a little odd with the way the game is designed. I just feel a little self-conscious when I end up in a hunt with a bunch of seasoned Japanese players decked out in fancy armor and dancing all over the place, while I'm still whiffing half my swings :downs:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well drat, twice now I've double-carted in 3* hub quests, causing them to fail when one other person also carted. I feel like I'm taking way too much damage per hit, compared to watching my teammates' health bars, but my armor looks like it should be okay-ish? I'm still using a bunch of random pieces from the second tier, so between 16-22 per piece. The third tier only just opened up with the Magnamalo set, but I can't craft any of it yet. Should I be focusing on maxing out the upgrades for each of my pieces or what?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I like that the healing-oriented HH (small heal, sonic barrier, small heal + antidote) looks like a Sailor Moon wand. And the echo mode seems superior since you can double up on triple buffs by using all three, performing all of them with ZR, and then using the special triple combo with ZR+X.

The silkbind moves for HH don't seem that useful. One is a small gap closer that executes your songs, though mobility isn't ever an issue with the self-buff active all the time, and one does a decent chunk of damage but is a slow two-wirebug recharge. Am I missing anything about them?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

boz posted:

The two hit 2 bug one does crazy good damage, and it's super good for something I don't see everyone online doing.

Go find one of the other monsters on the hunt, do your two wirebug move, and it should be ready to mount. Then take it over to the monster you're hunting and go to town on it.

Oh cool, being extremely effective at making monsters mountable is a very good reason to use that move. That wasn't very clear from the in-game description of the move, but makes it more than worth using over the cocoon.

So are monsters that aren't the target of the current hunt more easily mounted? Because I've used the ability several times without it working on the hunt target

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Followup question: When I got to high rank, Utsushi mentioned some quests to learn additional switch moves, but I can't find those quests anywhere now. How do I get the new moves?

404notfound fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 29, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Meridian posted:

Talk to the annoying dude that calls you "Ace" in the hub. He gives you a series of quests at hub rank 4.

Yeah that's who I talked to. He mentioned a series of quests to get more switch skills, and after I dismissed all the popups, I couldn't find them in my quest log or by talking to him. It's like the game forgot I was supposed to have access to these quests or something

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Your Computer posted:

they're not requests, they're just regular hub quests

Ahh, there they are! I was confused since every other quest villagers give you goes into the sidequest menu. And I hadn't checked my 4* quests since I wanted to defeat all the 3* enemies at least once to unlock their armor and weapons

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I had to change the radial menu control so that it requires clicking the right stick. I noticed that the deadzone is too small, or the stick tends to bounce a lot (at least on the official pro controller), so that I would accidentally use whatever was on the other side of the menu whenever I flicked the stick too hard

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's good to have quick access to a bunch of things, but having three different menus feels almost unnecessarily confusing. The item pouch menu is for items, the d-pad menu is non-item actions, and the radial menu can be a mix of both, except using the radial menu requires you to hold down L, which takes the item pouch menu out of use mode and into select mode. Also, using an item from the radial menu will automatically sheathe and use, but the first press of the item pouch button will make you sheathe, and then you have to press it again in a second to use.

I'm not sure what a good solution is, but I kept accidentally drinking potions or putting my weapon away for the first couple of hours

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Do you need to use the respective weapon when doing a switch skill quest? Also, I only have quests for a few of the weapons; when do I get the rest?

In any case, holy poo poo was it hilarious clowning on Tetranodon with four horns :sax:ing the whole time

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MMF Freeway posted:

As much as I want layered armor back I do kind of enjoy this time where I know the gear I'm seeing on people is actually the gear they're using. Mostly just because I'm curious about builds and its early on so people are still throwing stuff together

There's an utterly ridiculous Wroggi + Rhenoplos LR outfit that's really good for gunlance because it gives evade extender 2 and artillery 2. I hate how it looks, but it's too good to not use. Evade extender 2 basically lets you sidestep almost any attack, or get some quick breathing room to reload the wyrmstake because I realized you should Always Be Staking

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So far I've just been beelining for the monster and hitting it until it dies (or sometimes capturing it), but what's a good way to start taking advantage of consumables/endemic life to optimize combat? I'm enjoying the basic gameplay loop, but it doesn't really feel like prepping for and hunting a target

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FBS posted:

the buddy zone song is way better than the village song

I tried setting the hub music to the buddy plaza song, but apparently Badum and Tish will only drum to the default hub song. They were sitting around like they were on a smoke break

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of gunlance, I got my rear end thoroughly kicked by Mizutsune in the urgent quest to get to 6* hub. I went through about a dozen join requests before finally clearing, and I was only responsible for failing about half of those :v:

Fortunately for me, it seemed like most people were having at least some difficulty with that particular quest, so I don't feel too singled out. But something about the way that monster moves just made it really hard for me to get a read with the incredibly slow gunlance. I hardly ever landed any wyrmstakes, and it seemed like more often than not I would get one-shot while reloading. That water beam attack is also a doozy, though if I got my shield up in time then I only took about half a potion's worth of chip damage.

Towards the end I was mostly just poking at it with my shield up, too afraid to commit to a stake unless it was stunned. The group I beat it with had a crazy spinning ninja on the insect glaive and somebody using what looked like an orbital strike of red lasers. I kept getting hit by the lasers and losing stamina, but I survived by focusing on staying alive instead of trying to keep up on damage. Not my proudest moment, but I just really wanted to get to the third tier of switch skill quests so I could finally try the gunlance's guard reload

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I also really like the guard reload switch skill for quick reload; it's a shame that it's locked behind hub 6*, in the third and final set of switch skill quests. It's like quick reload but both guards you and reloads the stake (!!), with the drawback being that it only reloads a few shells at a time. But I usually use long shells and don't go for the full burst very often unless I'm feeling confident, so it's not a big deal for me. After getting punished too many times while trying to reload, being able to do it while guarding is reeeeal nice.

I think wide shell GLs also have stun damage on the stake? But I'm not very good at aiming for the head, so it doesn't seem very relevant to me at the moment

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well, I ruined this game for myself by accidentally wearing armor with Evade Extend on it and now I can't play without it.

Yeah, I basically can't play any slow-walking weapon without it now. Also, a double-leap backwards actually covers a huge amount of distance, so if you need a gap-closer, it can actually help to face away from the monster, double-backstep up to them, then turn around and do your attack

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dirk the Average posted:

Quick tip for people who want to get more out of their Meowcenaries/Dojo/Argosy stuff.

Meowcenaries give rewards every 5 quests
The Dojo finishes every 10 quests if you spend one laginapple
The cohoot nest fills up every 5 quests
One laginapple extends bargaining skills at the Argosy by 3 quests

You can pretty easily get into the habit of renewing the meowcenaries every 5 quests, then checking the cohoot nest and feeding another laginapple to the argosy traders. If you feed a second laginapple to them after the next quest, they'll be good to go until you next get a notification about the meowcenaries. The dojo can be checked every time the meowcenaries pop up, and will be done every two meowcenary pop ups, and can be restarted by spending one laginapple.

What this ends up doing is giving you maximum rewards for all of your background palico collection stuff, with a minimal point cost, as the only thing you need to spend points on is the meowcenaries. The cohoot nest pays out quite a few laginapples, and I've gotten plenty back from the meowcenaries as well. You end up spending 6.3 laginapples (1 dojo, 2 meowcenaries, 3.3 argosy) per 10 quests, and if you run low on laginapples, you can always spend points on the argosy bargaining instead of apples.

Because the argosy laginapples extend the existing skill, you can make the palicos/palamutes do the skill that gives lots of rewards fast, and then extend that to keep getting triple materials indefinitely.

Don't forget to see if Rondine has any high-value items for trade. She pretty regularly has stuff that'll sell for 1000 or 10000

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

DeathSandwich posted:

Back on topic: How are people liking wide GL in this game? It seems like Rise Wide plays like Long did in World insofar as you basically just use charged shelling. Since Crit and sharpness don't really factor, I'm guessing you just git the biggest raw damage wide lance and stack up Artillery/Load Shells?

As I understand it, shell damage is determined solely by the shell level and not the damage stat. I haven't been using wide at all because the wyrmstake doesn't do damage ticks and is made for stunning monsters, and I still have issues consistently staking the head

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Been playing around with insect glaive a bit finally, and it's a lot less intimidating than I thought. I guess the kinsects are just for snagging buffs plus occasionally contributing some damage/heals. Seems like the go-to tactic is to get the red buff at least and then go to town doing aerial combos, ending with the diving wyvern.

The default recall kinsect silkbind move seems pretty weak, and I'm not really sure what the point of the ZL+X forward vault is? Unless I'm really far away I'd rather just do ZR+B to vault without using up a wirebug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is it ethical to jump off your palamute to clear a long jump? Do you think they remember?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm using the insect glaive that looks like a giant rifle, because I'm very amused at the idea of using a rifle solely as a melee weapon.

Also the assist-type kinsect that gets dual buffs is too good. I can either dick around trying to aim it just right to pick up that essential red buff, or just aim in the general direction of the monster and get red plus white or orange

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Batterypowered7 posted:

A lot of monsters have sets that are tailored to a weapon without necessarily being optimal. I believe the Nargacuga (NARGACUGULAR! 🤙) armor is decent for the SWaxe, for example. Eventually you can unlock layered armor so you can wear an ugly clownsuit to get the most optimal skill set while still looking stylish [if you want].

I hate the gunlance clownsuit so much. The Basarios chest armor (for Guard and Load Shells) has huge pointy pauldrons that stick through the GL shield while sheathed, and the Rhenoplos gauntlets (for Artillery 2) look like arcade game grabber arms and clip right through most things, including the otherwise delightful dango cutscenes where it looks like the skewer is embedded in the palm of the gauntlet

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AFAIK raw and elemental damage don't apply to your shelling skills, so you pretty much want the highest shell level of 5 for whatever shell type you're going for. Fortunately there's one of each type, but unfortunately there's only one of each type, so you're pretty much locked in to Rathian (normal), Howlitzer (long), or the Corn Popper (wide). Or you could do a slaplancing build I guess

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

“I’m using tilt controls!”

Holy poo poo :vince: I'm stealing this one

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Electric Phantasm posted:

Oh hey just found out the Rakna-Kadaki armor tells a story

Oh...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's kinda bullshit that anybody can just take the wirebug that your palico summons. And then the visual effect doesn't go away, so you end up sheathing your weapon and running over there for nothing

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I get really annoyed when I pull off a sick counter, only for the monster to do a followup attack. I finally learned to stop trying to counter that Diablos burrow and leap attack, since he does a tail whip right afterward that gets me every time

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

v1ld posted:

Ground Splitter feels a bit like maintenance since they apparently nerfed shelling damage to account for it, relative to World shell damage. Kinda like tenderizing. Wish they'd stop doing this - feels like those HUGE WEEKEND SALEs where they first jack up the prices before applying the discount.

I didn't play World, so the relative comparisons aren't meaningful to me, but I really wish the Ground Splitter buff didn't go away when you sheathed your weapon. As it is, if I pull off the skill but the monster is now on the other side of the room, I now have to make the tactical decision between discarding the buff immediately and wasting a wirebug or spamming backhops to get back into position, wasting stamina and probably still taking longer to get into position compared to just running

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Foul Fowl posted:

shield bash and shoryuken them in the face, while they're on the ground and confused do the perfect rush combo while cancelling the last hit with the roundslash so you can hop back and repeat the combo. if you don't have time for the perfect rush combo, and you're not near the face, do the A A A > X+A combo. there's more to it but if you want a blueprint that's what's worked for me.

The perfect rush combo feels like it takes way too long if you actually wait for the flash/rumble. Do people actually have time to execute it that way, or is it better to just mash through it quickly?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

v1ld posted:

You can also add an X at the end of the full burst to get that sweep attack after exploding all the shells and then loop back into the burst combo with a reload.
X + A > X (slam) > A (full burst) > X (sweep) > zR + A (reload) > X + A (loop)

The loop attack depends on the reload skill.
Quick Reload: X + A does the slam and you can full burst again immediately, yay!
Guard Reload: X + A does the rising slash again, follow with X to slam etc.

I like Quick Reload with a Normal Lance for this, maximum explosions, with Blast Dash to also go into the slam easily.

Oh yeah, it's a little weird how the comboability of the alternative reload depends on which switch skill you're using. Wyrmstake can combo into guard reload but not quick reload, and quick reload can combo into slam, but not guard reload (you have to do a rising slash before the slam if you're trying to full burst loop with guard reload).

I'm trying to rely on poke-shelling more when there's not much of an opening, instead of always going for charged shell > fast stake. On top of being faster overall, it also means more opportunities to use guard reload to try and block attacks.

Speaking of which, I'm also trying to experiment with delaying my guard reload instead of doing it immediately (you've got about two seconds before it goes too long and turns into a full reload) to block more attacks instead of constantly getting punished for whiffing my stakes, but it's still really tricky for me. I seem to be really good at timing the reload to finish just before the monster is going to attack :negative:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Lynx Winters posted:

Wide is kind of in a weird place right now because supercharged shells aren't really worth it and you don't get a good burst because you only get two or three shells, and doing poke-shell is alright but not that much better than doing it with long. On the other hand, wide stakes can KO monsters so taking wide with guard reload can be really funny.

I can't see wide with its KO-ing wyrmstakes working for me at all because stakes take a bit of setup. You need to do some sort of attack to combo into the stake, and then you can't turn to aim the stake once you start it, the way you can with some other attacks. I'm not nearly galaxy brain enough to predict where the head is going to be a couple of seconds from now when I start my charged shell or full burst combo—hell, on a bad day against a fast enemy I'm still whiffing about half of my stakes.

Also I don't know if I like the gimmick corn cob skin for the most powerful wide gunlance in the game :thunk:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Bazel armor is perfect for gunlance, holy hell. Artillery 3, load shells 2, guard 3

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've been doing a lot of the new content, and it seems like lately I see a ton of LBG users. Like, almost always at least one per hunt, often two. Is it like the meta weapon or something?

On the gunlance side of things, how does poke-shelling with wide shells compare with stake spam on long? It's hard to get a real comparison since in an actual hunt, it's a lot harder to consistently pull off wyrmstakes

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I went back and unlocked the Apex Rathian quest, since I had no idea there even was an Apex Rathian. Right now I've got quests listed for Apex Arzuros, Mizutsune, and Rathian. Are there any others to be unlocked right now?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think maybe I don't understand how raw vs. elemental damage works. I tried the new long 5 gunlance, which has a lower raw but higher overall value if you count the elemental damage, and it seems like my attacks against the training dummy aren't hitting as hard. IIRC shelling is completely independent of weapon damage, but doing a full burst combo into wyrmstake was giving me about 100 less damage

Edit: Haa, never mind, I forgot to account for sharpness. The new one only goes up to blue

404notfound fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 3, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Huxley posted:

This also just made me realize that the Like system that was designed to help shuffle players together who enjoyed hunting has turned into a de facto "thanks, good hunt" sign because I always hit all 3 people with it and always get 3 back. Just instead of the thanks sticker we all just get "liked you." messages.

Whenever there's a player being a dick (e.g., loving around on the other side of the map for half the hunt), I passively-aggressively don't like them at the end and hope they notice

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The gunlance's wyvern fire will also launch teammates into the air, and I have real trouble sometimes finding a good position to let one off while the monster is downed—usually on the more compact monsters like Goss where it's hard to get a clear shot, since it can pierce and smack people on the other side. I've taken to just trying to get there first so I can set up, and if they walk in front of my big purple glowing gun, it's on them v:shobon:v

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think I prefer echo mode to perform mode on the hunting horn. With perform, there's this sort of pressure to play two of the same note in a row, whether or not that's the ideal attack to be using given my positioning. Not to mention I don't have to worry about the meta strategy of spamming ZR (perform) and forward+A (crush), which means I don't need a horn with a spammable A song.

It's really opened me up to trying out some of the non-meta horns. I'm liking Diablos at the moment, which is very defense-oriented with defense up, stamina use down, and earplugs L.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Violen posted:

dont forget to bring two gatherers and spam felvine, those pilfer rolls add up

plus any non-wyvern riding shiny drop (besides the contextual poo poo from like tetra or bishaten) is another 1% roll so thats up to 4 more per hunt i think, including the ones they sometimes leave lying around at the start of a quest if they spawn in the right place

i dont think ive seen the raw percentage for each roll on pilfer and dont think its on kiranico but id assume its also 1% just like the plunderblade in world

if you push everything out of a fight you have pretty solid cumulative odds for a monster's rarest material per hunt all-told

Oh hell, does the felvine buff apply to pilfering? I almost never bother because I have to sheathe to use it, but that might make it worth it. Do you just use it once the monster is dead?