Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I will doot and shoot just I like I did in World/Iceborne. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Spectral Werewolf posted:

The nicest thing I've seen from early access reviews is that we will not have to flip back and forth between our switch and phones to look up detailed monster data or drop rates, it's all built in to the in game hunter notes. Actual numbers, not just stars.

https://imgur.com/AfNlrdR

https://imgur.com/SqbQemU

:vince:

Game of the year.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

For right now it sounds like a bad tradeoff, but the upside I would guess is you can use the spin whenever instead of having to fill a gauge, like how it worked in iceborne.

Yeah, being able to spin whenever would get me to go back to old-style recitals.

E: or horns having a song list that is as long as a pop artist's discography

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I enjoyed playing horn in Iceborne, I enjoyed playing horn in the Rise demo. v:shobon:v

Depending on what the perks vs tradeoffs are of "old-school horn mode" I may use it or I may not, it really depends on what it gives in exchange. :shrug:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

It sounds like OldHorn is the only way to get the XL buffs, and it lets you do the hammer twirl off cooldown with the downside of it being slower.

Ah see that's a tradeoff and one that would actually make me think about switching.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The monster intro movies/poems are so cool

:agreed:

If every big monster gets one of those I'm gonna be real stoked.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Before that, while beating up a rabbit, it died ingloriously to what I think was a damage over time from my buddies while I was bumbling around 20ft away.

I got the KB on my first giant killer bunny with the HH silkbind attack in reaction to it charging me.

Game awesome.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

I will never skip the Bunny Dango scene

Or the monster intro poems. Both are awesome.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Also I think food buff persists through death now? Or at least the max health/stamina component does?

Yeah, the loading screen tips seem to suggest that they only expire when you finish/give up on a quest, which owns.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I think Horn's Sonic Barrier might also block roars? I feel like I've no-sold some roars before while it's up.

Also my god it's so delightful when you get in a real flow and just chain bonk a monster. Superpound into Trio into Infernal into Earthshaker is so devastating.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

...okay, maybe I'll try Gunlance. :catstare:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

singateco posted:

Love to yoshi-jump my dogs

:same:

Extremely owns to run up on dog, jump off, and come down on a monster's head with an X+A pound.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shine posted:

If you like the idea of bonking heads, but want a moveset that is less charge/leap based than Hammer, then yes, try Horn. Setting the song stuff aside, Horn's moveset is what I wanted Hammer to be. A variety of big swings from multiple angles, making it easy to aim attacks at the head.

It's so good after a mount too. X+A down onto the head from the dismount then alternate the big swings until you finish with a superpound when they start getting back up. This is often enough to get a KO which you can then thread into Trio/Infernal/Earthshaker. :iia:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah tbh I'd be fine waiting for more monsters if they prioritized layered gear rollout.

I want my moth cello back. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

cool design but I hate the fight. loving mud mons are all bad

Just let me hit your face you stupid muddy rear end in a top hat :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

beer gas canister posted:

I do like opening a fight by jumping off of my already airborne palamute. It's solid way to land a head or tail shot right off the bat.

Same. It feels very thematic to sneak up on a monster, yoshi-hop off my doggo, and X+A pound the monster's dome as an opener.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

My only two complaints about insect glaive are:

- The coolest move is locked behind high-rank hub quests so I don't have it yet, and

- It's less fun to start a hunt with a jumping attack off the palamute's back because my attacks suck until I gather extracts :smith:

The Church of Doot's doors are open to you whenever you are ready. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

I didn't realize hunting horn has iframes on the recital move and holy poo poo this weapon rules

The empty ZR? Or the alternate horn mode ZR?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Just the regular ZR, normal mode. The one that makes you breakdance on the ground with the horn. Pretty generous iframes, turns out, even I can time it well and I can't time LS counters and also will never successfully guard point.

Well holy poo poo, that rules. Gonna have to work that into my moveset more then.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

victrix posted:

2) Use large barrel bombs in midair

pardon

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Well, it's more that you can only use Magnificent Trio when you have one of each note queued. So it's a good way to get up all your songs, but slower for putting up a single song.

At least for normal horn mode, you can Trio whenever (until you use it) as long as you've had one of each note in your staff at some point. It's a critical distinction. It comes up the most if you get bopped out of your Trio before the songs resolve because it clears your staff at the start of the move, but doesn't take away your access to Trio until the songs apply.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In Training posted:

Also the rampage weapons are awesome, a really cool way to create a custom weapon! I'm looking forward to seeing how robust they are by the endgame.

I just wish the hunting horn's song list wasn't trash. :negative:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm the writery defense those articles are the dumbest fluff they're forced to write so that they have a page to put ads on.

While true, complaining about being unable to find monsters when the game has a "THING YOU NEED TO MURDER THIS WAY" arrow to follow is a bit :psyduck: inducing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Absolutely cannot get over how much hunting horn rocks

I'm not yet good at fighting flying monsters like Rathalos with it but everything else I'm having a blast just beating the hell out of.

Honestly I find myself more often than not just going up to meet 'em.

Sheath, wirebug up, and slam.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shlapintogan posted:

Magnamalo give me your drat plates you son of a bitch :argh:

Seriously mother fucker :argh:

Why are all the good horns stuck with poo poo song lists :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Your Computer posted:

also, if there's one thing in rise i kinda wanna complain about it's how far into the air monster attacks extend. i realize they've done this on purpose because it wasn't like this previously but it still feels artificially bullshit imo. i've seen others talk about it here but i just got an excellent clip to show it off
https://i.imgur.com/cOsAEHA.mp4

Mother loving I KNEW IT I KNEW THAT WAS BULLSHIT HITBOXES AND NOT ME WIREBUGGING WRONG gently caress YOU NARGA :argh:

(my third cart on my first try on HR Narga was something basically exactly like that and I was raging the gently caress out at the time)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Wildtortilla posted:

I need to read up how exactly the notes and magnificent trio work. It's definitely different than in GU and it mostly worked but I'm still not sure what I did to make mag trio available.

Default mode for Rise horn works on two principles:

Play a given note (X, A, or X+A) twice in a row, and it activates that song.
Having all three on your staff (which contains your last four notes) at any given time enables use of Magnificent Trio.

Once you enable Magnificent Trio you don't have to keep the notes in the staff, and it doesn't go away until you fully resolve the attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

step 1 is complaining on the internet about your piss luck. works more often than it should

valid

gimme a loving plate zinogre you electric fuckface :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

I think this is up there for one of the stupidest videos I've ever made, but I couldn't get the Metal Slug thoughts out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4XJlmbrsLg

Needed an "OK!" when getting on your palamute but otherwise no this owns actually

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poniard posted:

fought like 12 hr rathalos today im tired

this but 12 hr zinogres

just give me the plate you fuckface

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rampage needs an additional button that I can spam to tell people to ready the gently caress up.

I spam stickers for that. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Doomykins posted:

Don't expect to cap stats per hunt unless you're desperate for an edge for a hard monster and sweep the whole thing.

On the other hand, rampages seem to have a bird at the start that just juices your whole petalace.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

stev posted:

Uuugh I'm done with village and ready for hub and there's an urgent rampage quest before you can start 4 star. I really can't be arsed with that.

So do it with people, they're fun multiplayer.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

meta is the cutest outfit for your cat and dog imo

I made my doggo look like a dragon because he's fierce. :3:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

me carting after sitting at half health for two minutes: calculated risk, big brain play

teammate carting at 90% hp: shoulda healed idiot

me, carting after I thought I had enough HP for Moxie to kick in but I was a pixel short: :argh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

In Training posted:

I know, I wish I had the full monty

I still :vince:'d as gently caress at it, don't worry, it ruled

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

my buddy Superfly posted:

Hi, Rise is very good and I made fan art for it.

These are both awesome and rule, especially the Ludroth one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

stev posted:

I just want to see what happens to the captured monsters. :ohdear: For my own peace of mind.

:science:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah but then you're not using Earthshaker and *gently caress that*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Reiley posted:

I'm "All-out Of Honey"

"On Sale Now! Try Cohoot" is mine. It amused me. :v: