Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

L0cke17 posted:

Every other hero power buff seems to apply (i.e. damage increases), so why doesn't the freeze?

Small indie company spaghetti code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Deck of Lunacy Rogue trip report: 11 games played, 10 games lost. Times DoL played: 1, and I did not win. Deck deleted.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Stan Taylor posted:

Haven’t played in a while, since around the time they added the Demon Hunter. Have some gold to spend, do I want to just buy packs from the expansion or should I get this (outdated?) mini bundle with a set of cards for 2k gold?

There's certainly cards that are played from that set right now, but only really a few, and the meta-dominant decks (Paladin and Mage) aren't using any of the cards from the miniset.

If you want to play Warlock, I would pick it up for sure (Hysteria, Luckysoul Hoarder, Envoy Rustwix and to a lesser degree Backfire are all seeing some play). Poison Rogue will want to have Nitroboost Poison. Murloc Shaman will want to have Crabrider (those are probably less absolutely essential than the Warlock cards though).

Other than that, any slower deck is probably happy to run Armor Vendor.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Week 1 Grandmasters decklists have been posted:

https://www.yaytears.com/grandmasters/week/2021-04-07T08:00:26.363Z

47/48 brought Mage
46/48 brought Paladin
46/48 brought Rogue

best of luck to the commentators this weekend lmao

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Holy poo poo, a single Oh my Yogg trigger animation takes like 2/3 of the rope.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AnacondaHL posted:

47/48 brought Mage
46/48 brought Paladin
46/48 brought Rogue

Hey remember before the set release when people were claiming that Rogue would suck because it was losing Eviscerate with the core set?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think that was before their new eviscerate was spoiled.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
If there's one thing you can count on in Hearthstone, it's that Rogue will never suck.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am becoming increasingly convinced Veteran War Medic is the best 4-drop for libram/secret paladin. Mirror matches simply cannot deal with the amount of bodies you can put out compared to them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

L0cke17 posted:

Can someone explain to me why Ice Walker and reckless apprentice doesnt end up with the enemy board frozen?

https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/Ice_Walker

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/cards/63059-reckless-apprentice/

Every other hero power buff seems to apply (i.e. damage increases), so why doesn't the freeze?

Maybe the code for Ice Walker is more specific than most hero power effects and they just forgot to check it? Because everything about the way the cards are written makes it seem like it would work.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Hey remember before the set release when people were claiming that Rogue would suck because it was losing Eviscerate with the core set?

People were claiming that Rogue might suck, then the cards were revealed and nobody said that anymore.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Thanks Duels buckets, those will help.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hysteria not triggering avenge feels really weird

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Acerbatus posted:

I am becoming increasingly convinced Veteran War Medic is the best 4-drop for libram/secret paladin. Mirror matches simply cannot deal with the amount of bodies you can put out compared to them.

what would you cut for it? the deck list as i understand it is pretty tight...

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

AnacondaHL posted:

47/48 brought Mage
46/48 brought Paladin
46/48 brought Rogue

Fortunately the mages are all Deck of Lunacy so there will be plenty of random and whacky poo poo to react to. I think most people are planning to ban paladin and roll the bones with mage. At least there's some diversity in the rogue decks?
https://twitter.com/LorindaGames/status/1379784156616527873
https://twitter.com/Casie_HS/status/1379727944931753986
in a somewhat expected move Zalae was banned from grandmasters
https://twitter.com/HSesports/status/1380206184418840576
backstory: https://twitter.com/lidlRini/status/1351316073946214401

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Never liked that guy

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
9 of the last 10 mages I've played have started with font of power :psyduck:

Last King posted:

what would you cut for it? the deck list as i understand it is pretty tight...

Cariel Roame because I don't have her. :v:

I also don't think she's that great, or at least wasn't so vital I had no issue getting to legend without her.

I also cut a libram of hope as sort of a tech thing because of how many deck of lunacy mages there are.

e: that new data reaper report is pretty dire.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 8, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Fortunately the mages are all Deck of Lunacy so there will be plenty of random and whacky poo poo to react to. I think most people are planning to ban paladin and roll the bones with mage. At least there's some diversity in the rogue decks?
https://twitter.com/LorindaGames/status/1379784156616527873
https://twitter.com/Casie_HS/status/1379727944931753986

Eh it's all still the same Pen Flinger core, which is most people's complaint.

Holy poo poo, not that this is happening, but the timing. Everyone expected this to happen, but as today rolled around everyone assumed it wasn't happening. I was literally looking at his decklists this morning, with Asia-Pacific matches already having been played :psyduck:

Like goddamn they are just gonna roll with 15 players this week (Eddie and Briarthorn get a free win) :psyduck: why did they wait so late for this

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

AnacondaHL posted:

Holy poo poo, not that this is happening, but the timing. Everyone expected this to happen, but as today rolled around everyone assumed it wasn't happening. I was literally looking at his decklists this morning, with Asia-Pacific matches already having been played :psyduck:

Like goddamn they are just gonna roll with 15 players this week (Eddie and Briarthorn get a free win) :psyduck: why did they wait so late for this
My guess is the conversation went like:
:) hey did that zalae thing blow over like the purple thing did?
:sweatdrop: ...well...uh...no. people are still really mad.
:ohdear: how mad?
:sweatdrop: it's going to be like...0.6 of a blitzchung.
:stare: get him out
---
new data reaper out

quote:

Libram Paladin is literally unbeatable and Secret Paladin isn’t that far away from being the same. There might be one or two decks that could eventually develop an edge against Libram Paladin (Watcher Rogue is one candidate), and Mage can stand up to it, but everything else just rolls over. Libram Paladin is the strongest deck we’ve seen in the game since Day 1 Ashes of Outland Demon Hunter, which was a complete outlier. Mage is getting all the fame but Paladin’s win rate at top legend is over 3% higher! It’s in a league of its own.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
so uhhh i guess i should get my weekly games in now huh before next week?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

No Wave posted:

Never liked that guy

he has been an unpleasant piece of poo poo for years and years so this is absolutely no surprise

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Playing Ye Olde Face Hunter against Lunacy Mage is like two people playing opposing games of solitaire.

The difference being that yours is made of Reffuhs and giant rear end Rhinos. :getin:

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006
The meta has been wild, but I got some hope last night after a crazy win I managed to pull off against a secret paladin (low level play, but it was identical to the net deck) with a control warlock that is basically the standard fair with Envoy swapped for Tickatus because screw that card.

I’m entering the qualifiers on Sunday and don’t expect to do well, but was hoping to get some advice as to what to put fir my third deck (I’ve got the control warlock mentioned above and no minion mage for sure).

Right now I’m debating between the watchtower rogue deck and the aggro shaman deck for the third slot.

Here are the decks in question:

Rogue
### Watch Post Rogue
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Shadowstep
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Pen Flinger
# 2x (1) Guardian Augmerchant
# 2x (1) Brain Freeze
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Far Watch Post
# 2x (2) Efficient Octo-bot
# 2x (3) Mor'shan Watch Post
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 2x (3) Field Contact
# 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
# 1x (5) Jandice Barov
# 1x (7) Kargal Battlescar
#
AAECAaIHBNnRA/roA/zoA+fwAw3evgOqywOfzQPHzgOk0QPn3QPz3QP36AP56AOo6wOq6wOr6wP2nwQA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/H6AmHdaWCClsYaTBiTnjmc/

Shaman
### Aggro Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Primordial Studies
# 2x (1) Novice Zapper
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (2) Rockbiter Weapon
# 2x (2) Landslide
# 2x (2) Diligent Notetaker
# 2x (2) Cagematch Custodian
# 2x (3) Stormstrike
# 2x (3) Serpentshrine Portal
# 1x (3) Instructor Fireheart
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (4) Dunk Tank
# 1x (4) Bru'kan
# 1x (5) Ras Frostwhisper
# 1x (5) Inara Stormcrash
# 2x (5) Doomhammer
#
AAECAaoIBJzOA9DOA67eA+LsAw3buAOTuQPhzAPNzgPw1AOn3gOo3gOq3gOJ5APq5wONnwT5nwT+nwQA
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/uhbitjddzjvWECjyt4aH3e/

So goons, what do I take to both maximize my chances and maximize the lols?? Thanks in advance for the help!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're not picking paladin (you should pick paladin) rogue is the safer bet because paladin chews up heavy aggro decks.

Should probably cut the guardian augmerchants for cult neophytes for all the mages though.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

If you're not picking paladin (you should pick paladin) rogue is the safer bet because paladin chews up heavy aggro decks.

Should probably cut the guardian augmerchants for cult neophytes for all the mages though.

That’s super helpful, thank you. For some reason I can’t bring myself to play paladin, plus I have none of the cards. Rogue felt better when I was trying both out earlier today, will likely go with that!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

broken boy soldier posted:

That’s super helpful, thank you. For some reason I can’t bring myself to play paladin, plus I have none of the cards. Rogue felt better when I was trying both out earlier today, will likely go with that!

Good luck! I signed up for the wrong region because I wasn't paying attention, lol.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Good luck! I signed up for the wrong region because I wasn't paying attention, lol.

Oh dang that’s a big bummer! It’s my first qualifier, so any general tips would also be appreciated.

Also, if anyone would like the see the control warlock v paladin match I was talking about, will happily post the replay later. I know Tick is probably important to the deck competitively, but I really dig having envoy and the primes instead. It feels like I always get at least one prime that helps me out toward the end of the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, I feel like Tick is a big gamble and kind of questionable. He doesn't directly impact the board and you MIGHT get something important, but there's at least as good odds you either won't be able to play him at all or that he'll just burn some Knights or something else that doesn't help you right away.

broken boy soldier
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Honestly, I feel like Tick is a big gamble and kind of questionable. He doesn't directly impact the board and you MIGHT get something important, but there's at least as good odds you either won't be able to play him at all or that he'll just burn some Knights or something else that doesn't help you right away.

That’s what I was kind of thinking as well based on my experience playing against Tick.

“Cool you burned five of my cards but you didn’t do a thing about the 15+ damage board I was showing, thanks for the annoyance I guess?”

glad to know I wasn’t off base in my decision to craft the extra rogue cards I needed instead of it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So wild has a new Play Every Giant celestial alignment deck.

I've hit it 5 times so far. Just alignment then play 1-3 giants a turn til the game is over. I have beaten them with even mage 4 of those 5 times by heropowering down every single giant even after getting my Mana reset to 0. Deck is insanely fun.

This is my current list:
### even Mage v2
# Class: Mage
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (2) Book of Specters
# 2x (2) Explosive Sheep
# 2x (2) Fallen Hero
# 2x (2) Garrison Commander
# 2x (2) Ice Walker
# 2x (2) Manafeeder Panthara
# 2x (2) Spirit of the Dragonhawk
# 2x (2) Starscryer
# 2x (2) Wildfire
# 2x (4) Bone Wraith
# 2x (4) Reckless Apprentice
# 2x (4) Tournament Medic
# 1x (4) Varden Dawngrasp
# 1x (6) Coldarra Drake
# 1x (6) Genn Greymane
# 2x (10) Frost Giant
# 1x (10) Mordresh Fire Eye
#
AAEBAaXDAwTN9ALY7AOd7gPBoAQN0BPVE48U3M0Czu8CrYcD8qUD97gD+84D0+wD1uwDwKAE1aAEAA==
#

It's about 50/50 with the bullshit paladin deck and just about even with secret mage, but roflstomps most other things I hit.

You wanna mulligan for wildfire, fallen hero, and ice walker mostly.

If you're against a dude deck you want spirit, explosive sheep, and garrison commander.

If you're vs secret mage Tournament Medic and Garrison Commander are critical. Medic to check for explosive runes then heal a bit, then if it lives you drop commander and gain a bunch of life, or they burn 8 damage on it that otherwise would go to your face.

If you're vs control mull for book of specters and starscryer. Your endgame is to get Coldarra drake down with 2x buffed hero power to 12 them on 10 mana for your burst damage finish.

The worst cards in the deck are Manafeeder Panthera and Bone wraith, but I don't know what to replace them with yet.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
wow the meta is so toxic right now between mage and paladin, can’t even enjoy playing other classes

just gonna take a break and mess around in casual until they fix this crap

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

wow the meta is so toxic right now between mage and paladin, can’t even enjoy playing other classes

It is. I'm even enjoying arena again after a long while.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wish they'd give arena tickets as a reward more regularly. It'd be nice to have a steady stream of bad players who get in free to make it so mediocre players like me can maintain a decent winrate.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cry Havoc posted:

I have a feeling this is what the new "mini-sets" are for.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

They've already said they're gonna do a balance patch next week, thankfully.

They kinda have to.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I basically settled on my plat 10 this month and instead started playing for fun. I'm checking if anything I can come up with has chances against mages / paladins.

My last game against mage, he got a Babbling Book as 1 of the 3 minions, book gave him second Deck of Lunacy and he also had blessing of authority and arbor up in hand. I lasted till turn 6, which feels like 4 turns more than I usually do.

I weirdly have more success against paladins, maybe because I'm trying to play slower control decks which have some means of sustain. I'm still loosing badly though.
From latest Vicious Syndicate report:

quote:

Libram Paladin is literally unbeatable and Secret Paladin isn’t that far away from being the same. There might be one or two decks that could eventually develop an edge against Libram Paladin (Watcher Rogue is one candidate), and Mage can stand up to it, but everything else just rolls over. Libram Paladin is the strongest deck we’ve seen in the game since Day 1 Ashes of Outland Demon Hunter, which was a complete outlier. Mage is getting all the fame but Paladin’s win rate at top legend is over 3% higher! It’s in a league of its own.

kaaj fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 9, 2021

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Chernabog posted:

It is. I'm even enjoying arena again after a long while.

Arena is fun right now apart from watchposts, and those aren't as common as I was afraid they'd be.

Running into the 3 mana one on curve is flappy bird levels of suck though.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I've played a fair bit of paladin, I think the vicious syndicate report has it about right. I think its just me but I don't like pen flinger. You get the machine gun nuts sometimes but if you're in that situation, you've probably won anyway cos you've got a huge minion on board. I run one judgement and murgl instead. You can pull prime off taelan and smacking them in the face for 5 fills the pen flinger gap. I think the deck will survive the nerfs, all they can really target is SoF, everything else just fits together nicely.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
You can recurse Pen Flinger multiple times off a even a single Libram of Wisdom and a couple of Silver Hand Recruits on the board. I've done it from behind too, trading up the libram'd recruits to stabilize the board. And yeah if you have a second copy of either it can be pretty nuts.

It's a real bitch to play on mobile though so I'm hoping they nerf him anyway, alongside SoF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Elysium posted:

Thanks Duels buckets, those will help.

Yeah, they really need to change their treasure/bucket weightings so that if, for example, you don't have a single Deathrattle minion you don't get offered any cards for it. The deck-building aspect of it really suffers when you aren't able to have your choices guide the kind of deck you want to make. I'm not saying every Harvest Time deck should always be offered a Nature's Army bucket, but they really need to tighten it up.

I caved and started playing Connections Rogue and got a few high scoring runs (including a 12-3), but I also washed out a bunch of times. One time I even got Band of Bees but that run only went to 5-3 because while that ability is devastating to some decks, others don't care about it (like DH), and also because as strong as that passive is it just can't compete with the mana cheating ones. Rally the Troops is ridiculously busted, and Duels is kind of at the point now where if you don't get that, or Emerald Goggles, or Orb of Revelation, your deck has a very low chance of making it past 5-6 wins. The only combo that competes is like the Rocket Backpacks/Special Delivery rush package, or sometimes Disks of Legend with a particularly good deck for it.

I haven't played Duels for a few days now, and Standard is kind of a bust too. Bring on the patch.