Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's honestly probably easier to get into than it has been in years. With the core set free for everyone and improved quest/rewards track, it is a lot easier to do F2P than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'better than it's ever been' and 'still not very easy' aren't mutually exclusive

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I haven't played this game in literally years. Is it easy to get back into it without spending money?

You might be able to fill out your collection faster. Now, card packs won’t give you more than the deck limit of any card of a certain rarity until you’ve gotten 2 of every card of that rarity. No duplicate legendaries until you’ve gotten all of them.

It’s still a bit of work though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Maybe just make Stealer of Souls be the first card per turn get changed to health instead of mana.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

flatluigi posted:

'better than it's ever been' and 'still not very easy' aren't mutually exclusive

Sure, but what do you expect? Activision is a lovely greedy company, not a non-profit co-op.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
FaceHunter and Doomhammer Shaman can both be assembled pretty cheaply and I bet you could make an annoying Priest deck on the cheap these days.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Get Mankrik and that's the main Legendary that shows up in every deck.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Sure, but what do you expect? Activision is a lovely greedy company, not a non-profit co-op.

I think you're projecting more malice on me than I intend

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

flatluigi posted:

I think you're projecting more malice on me than I intend

Are you the personification of Activision? That's the only malice I'm projecting.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Desert Bus posted:

Get Mankrik and that's the main Legendary that shows up in every deck.

And it's free really early in the rewards track.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

goferchan posted:

Lmao the wallstreetbets gamestop guy? What the gently caress?

I mean, does that seem more like a fit for an endorsement vs Ana Joy Taylor or Awkwafina? Because those were options too.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Lister posted:

I mean, does that seem more like a fit for an endorsement vs Ana Joy Taylor or Awkwafina? Because those were options too.

Anya Taylor-Joy at least has an excellent recent show about playing a game.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I haven't played this game in literally years. Is it easy to get back into it without spending money?

i was in the same boat back when the newest expansion (Barrens) launched. It was a little bit of a slog for a couple weeks but then I figured out I could make a cheap version of face Hunter that just uses commons and rares, and I've been having a lot of fun since then

p.s. it wouldn't surprise me if awkwafina is a gamer haha

Ol' Limber Legs
Nov 20, 2002

PLEASE KILL ME NOW

a fatguy baldspot posted:

This deck has been pretty fun to play, since it’s got good tempo while also generating tons of value. Also everyone mulligans wrong against it because they think you’re control, lol.

### Buffboy
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Raise Dead
# 2x (1) Draconic Studies
# 2x (1) Holy Smite
# 1x (1) Psychic Conjurer
# 2x (1) Renew
# 2x (2) Condemn (Rank 1)
# 1x (2) Power Word: Feast
# 2x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver
# 1x (2) Shadow Word: Death
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (3) Apotheosis
# 1x (3) Mankrik
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 2x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (4) Kazakus, Golem Shaper
# 1x (7) Soul Mirror
# 2x (8) Power Word: Fortitude
# 2x (8) Primordial Protector
#
AAECAa0GBsi+A7TRA/zoA+fwA76fBMGfBAyTugObugOvugPezAPXzgP+0QPi3gOW6AOY6wOe6wPe7AOFnwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Nice… finally managed to break a terrible 3 days with no wins with this. And none of the games took more than 8-10 minutes.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
That DeepFuckingValue celeb endorsement comment made me so curious I went into my emails to do that survey. That was the longest loving survey ever, but it was pretty interesting. Not in terms of answering, but in the implied information they are looking for.

It seems pretty evident, to me at least, that they have at the very least considered (in the long-term future) doing a complete revamp of the game or a potential sequel. The questions about art style, how relevant the Warcraft link is, 'gacha' style games, and the piles of questions as to anime games like Fate Zero/Genshin Impact, potential anime show/studio tie ins and so forth.

I think from a marketing perspective, Blizzard is looking at the great weeb rising as a horse to bet on for the future. Their house style has always been (and is increasingly) slanted towards an almost Western flavoured anime kinda thing - bright palettes, corny stories etc. So it makes a kind of sense when you step back and look. And you don't have to look much beyond the proliferation of anime avatars, Vtubers, the easy availability of anime shows on streaming platforms, the popularity of things like Genshin Impact and so forth to know that younger generations are into anime in a big, big way, and that WoW (including its lore, characters and stylings) is a game that has less relevance by the day to modern gamers. Whereas the skeleton of Hearthstone itself has the potential to be a kind of forever cash cow for Blizzard, presuming they can move with the times. That's not even mentioning the lucrative and rapidly growing Asian market.

Obviously I don't see a neat solution as to how they would incorporate this stuff into the game as-is. Probably they never will because it would be too radical an overhaul, but if they're happy to mostly let HS wither on the vine gently over the next X years, certainly the above stuff could play a big role in what they plan to replace it with.

Can't say I would be thrilled by that direction, but eh.

Also as a random side-note to anyone else who did the survey, how loving bad was the original marketing copy for Hearthstone lol. Like, it was eye-wateringly apparent that they'd never played it and had just been given a brief of the game's features and best-guessed it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this is getting a little off topic but uh i am pretty sure blizzard games have always had their share of bright colors and corny stories. if it makes you feel better to put that element of blizzard games over in a corner and label it "weeb" though, you do you

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Warcraft is arguably more popular in China than in the West lol, wild take

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Warcraft has always been tonally different. The orcs were portrayed as brutal, nasty guys in the Warcraft 2 story, and also they were bright green and talked like Yoda.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
the older art style blizzard's artists used to draw was on another level. i'm not sure if there was a larger direction change that was pushed down on them, or if they just left but the new stuff sucks.

you can easily tell this in a quick comparison between the hero portraits:

the only one that might be better is illidan, but it's really sad that the quality has gone downhill and they've literally turned all of them into anime. the fact that these new portraits are paid rewards off of their battle pass is even more sad and insulting.

their best and most iconic art came out well over a decade ago (tbc, wotlk, etc.) and it feels like they've finally used up all of what's left.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Yeah, I just made it to level 100 and the portraits are pretty disappointing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is getting a little off topic but uh i am pretty sure blizzard games have always had their share of bright colors and corny stories.

Jeza posted:

Their house style has always been (and is increasingly) slanted towards an almost Western flavoured anime kinda thing - bright palettes, corny stories etc.

:sweatdrop:

Firebert posted:

Warcraft is arguably more popular in China than in the West lol, wild take

Not that we'd ever know given how coy Blizzard is about player counts, but I don't 'disagree' strongly with that. But I would at least take issue with historical market share or whatever. WoW was the MMO colossus in the West. It completely dwarfed every other MMO. In China, WoW is just another player. Raw player counts may well surpass the rest of the world, but in terms of beating out homegrown alternatives in terms of player numbers or market share, I don't think that's ever been the case.

Nevertheless, the point about capitalising in Asia was just tangential. Blizzard already does very well in playing both fields, you only need to look at how carefully pitched Overwatch was to recognise how seriously they take that kind of thing, but it doesn't mean they aren't looking at ways to bolster the pre-existing success.

My point was more of where Blizzard wants to go stylistically and in terms of gameplay offerings in the future. And reading between the lines of the survey, they are really, really interested in how embracing 'full anime now' approach will land in their Western market. If you have nothing better to do in your life and you haven't looked at it, I encourage you to check the survey out. Maybe 50% of it is bread and butter 'how are we going to launch the marketing materials for Hearthstone: Mercenaries' - i.e. what key points are we stressing on launch, what areas are a key focus that will retain interest moving forward. And the rest is basically just scoping the interest of their playerbase towards stuff like JRPGs, gacha games, anime etc.

I wasn't intending to make some nuclear take, I just found it really interesting and somewhat surprising.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Last King posted:

the older art style blizzard's artists used to draw was on another level. i'm not sure if there was a larger direction change that was pushed down on them, or if they just left but the new stuff sucks.

the only one that might be better is illidan, but it's really sad that the quality has gone downhill and they've literally turned all of them into anime. the fact that these new portraits are paid rewards off of their battle pass is even more sad and insulting.

their best and most iconic art came out well over a decade ago (tbc, wotlk, etc.) and it feels like they've finally used up all of what's left.

I think the original art was by a different team, since almost all of it was recycled from the WoW trading card game.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Lest we forget that the dude from Penny Arcade did a few of the card arts.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah the older artworks are mostly pre-existing artworks, hero portraits included. I know that Valeera's was created specifically for HS but the rest were all re-used I believe.

I like the new card artworks well enough, but I also don't like the reward hero portraits in general. Confused and clashing color palettes and messy compositions all over. The only one that looks decent to me is Uther's, but they also stuck to the original gold and blue color scheme.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
For me any variety is better than seeing the same old poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Last King posted:

Idk why you made your links like this but it's a real pain in the rear end trying to expand these on mobile.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I wouldn't say it was "better" back then but it is a completely different style which you may or may not like. It is clear the art direction has been moving towards this more cartoony look over the years.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

loving Apotheosis needs a nerf. 4 cost? +1/+3? I dunno. Playing against Priest might be more OK if that loving card wasn't so good.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

sirtommygunn posted:

I think the original art was by a different team, since almost all of it was recycled from the WoW trading card game.

you're probably right but it's just really sad and depressing that you can see the style change so much. one of the best features of this game was all the high quality art that used to be on almost all of the cards, which made it really visually appealing.

even during the kft expansion for hs, the art was still way better than what we've got currently.

the golden versions of these looked incredible. i remember every deck of mine would have one just so i could jam it on turn to replace the stock portraits we got.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think I just lived the dream.

Druid opponent plays Celestial Alignment.

I’m playing Stealer of Souls Warlock, and I have Hand of Guldan ready to go. :getin:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just reached level 60 with my Hunter. Been playing a dirty net-deck face hunter. (I'm also embarrassed that it took me about 30 games to figure out that I should've been playing Mankrik -> Barak Kodobane; so it pulls Mankrik's wife)

It seems that the elemental Shaman is popular. Any suggestions or synergies I should know about? The deck looks pretty straight forward.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

All the art was better when Kibler was in charge.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Imagine being such a dick you roll Priest in a casual game, don't have any cards in your deck or in hand, and instead of conceding you rope until you're finally defeated.

A casual game!!!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Shwqa posted:

All the art was better when Kibler was in charge.

Brian Kibler should have been to hearthstone as Jeph and Afrasiabi were to WoW.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Yestermoment posted:

Brian Kibler should have been to hearthstone as Jeph and Afrasiabi were to WoW.

No way he ever takes that pay cut.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Strawberry Panda posted:

Imagine being such a dick you roll Priest in a casual game, don't have any cards in your deck or in hand, and instead of conceding you rope until you're finally defeated.

A casual game!!!

My response to this was to turn on a YouTube and return the favor. Many times the other guy would rage quit as he ate 3 exhaust damage after 20 minutes.

Bonus points if you are also playing a priest and heal his character to make it take longer.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I had someone flirt with me today in HS chat. They have an avatar pic that seems to show they are my preferred gender, but there is no way to tell what mine is so? Not a goon so I can bring it up here without making it weird (I hope!). I am curious if they are going to keep it up. I am no where near as clever or funny as they seemed to think. They also could also just be weirdly friendly or maybe they were very high, but I don't think I misread what was going on. I think the lesson here is to play FaceHunter in order to attract women.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
The Virgin Control Priest vs. the Chad Face Hunter.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Ulvino posted:

The Virgin Control Priest vs. the Chad Face Hunter.

Now i'm curious if there are HS memes. This is SA and i'm kind of surprised no one has posted any. May have to go digging around for some later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Desert Bus posted:

Now i'm curious if there are HS memes. This is SA and i'm kind of surprised no one has posted any. May have to go digging around for some later.

There’s a whole subreddit for them.