Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I want to see someone accidentally lose the game with a wildfired life tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

it's supposed to build hype for these expansions but in reality everyone hates the streams and would rather have the streamer just go back to playing BG's.

Zeddy is kind of a grump but I agree 100% with him that these pre-release streams are incredibly lame, it's like watching another kid at Christmas open his presents and play with the hot new toy through the window a week before you get to enjoy it.

And the toy is a puzzle and by the time you get it you already know how to solve the first half.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I went from no 1k win heroes to all of them except for DH :eyepop:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The best change by far is that non-eligible decks are grayed out.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Control warlock with Jaraxxus is really strong. Also small spell mage with arcane(?) giants and conjurer's calling.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

First time I don't preorder. I have 15k gold and about the same dust so I'll see how it goes. I might get the pass though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can BG perks be bought with gold?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Makes sense, I couldn't find the option earlier.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Speaker Gidra into celestial alignment is hilarious.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My impressions so far:

Hero power mage (7-0): My most successful deck so far. It is basically tempo with as many ways to discover wildfire as possible.
Elemental shaman: (2-1): If It draws well it can stay on the board and threaten with windfury, but if it doesn't then it is very underwhelming.
Secret/tempo rogue(2-1): Meh. Same old stuff.
Nature/taunt druid: (6-2): Surprisingly doing pretty well. It can win with big dudes, geryboughception or with a Yogg as a last resort.
Sacrifice zoo-ish lock: (2-4): I had high expectations for this one but it always seems to fall short, maybe I just had a few bad games or need to go more aggro.
Spell priest (1-1): Haven't played it too much to form an opinion.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

emocrat posted:

Can you post your Hero Power mage deck? I'm messing around with something similar and would love to take a look.

### Hero power
# Class: Mage
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Babbling Book
# 2x (1) Wand Thief
# 1x (2) Evocation
# 2x (2) Runed Orb
# 2x (2) Wildfire
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Combustion
# 2x (3) Firebrand
# 2x (3) Imprisoned Observer
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (4) Potion of Illusion
# 2x (4) Reckless Apprentice
# 1x (4) Varden Dawngrasp
# 2x (5) Ethereal Conjurer
# 1x (5) Jandice Barov
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (10) Mordresh Fire Eye
# 1x (10) Yogg-Saron, Master of Fate
#
AAECAaXDAwbFuAPZ0QOd2APY7AOd7gOoigQMw7gD+MwDlNEDpNED5dED0OwD0+wD1uwD/J4E/Z4ExKAExaAEAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I already despise secret paladin.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just had a game where a priest filled his entire board with watch posts (soul mirror) and then couldn't do anything. It was hilarious.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Priest can also play ysharaj.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IMO of those only spring water is busted. In spell mage it is literally 0 mana draw 2.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I wish there was somewhere I could play my homebrew decks against anything other than the top netdecks, because casual sure isn't it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

wow the meta is so toxic right now between mage and paladin, can’t even enjoy playing other classes

just gonna take a break and mess around in casual until they fix this crap

It is. I'm even enjoying arena again after a long while.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I’ll give blizz the benefit of the doubt on mage since it’s a combination multiple reasons that spell mage is so good right now (small spell pool from Core rotation, very little aggro due to watchposts, etc.) but Paladins have just been getting crazy strong cards and synergies multiple expansions in a row and it’s just cumulated in a deck where almost every single card is standalone nuts good and I have no idea how they thought any other classes would be able to stand up to them

Paladin had one of the worst basic/classic sets so it is no surprise that everything suddenly got out of hand with the core set. In the long run this is probably a good thing because they won't have to print OP cards for paladin (and other classes) to keep them afloat.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Lmao, just lost a game on a ~0.02% chance.
My opponent had a 2/1 and a DS 8/1. I needed Eye of Cthun to hit the divine shield at least once and it didn't.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 10, 2021

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Trip report:
Still hate libram paladin and pen flinger.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think Xyrella's "Such skill" might be the best emote ever.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've been doing well with corrupt priest. Even won against a warlock who played Tickatus.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Jeza posted:

If the occasional roping and emoting player didn't exist, you'd never experience the greatest feeling in Hearthstone where you're on the verge of losing but topdeck perfect counterlethal and you sit out until the last second of the rope while they smugly emote, thinking you're just salty and spite roping, only to crush their dreams at the last possible moment.

Then to snap message "ez" and nothing else when they immediately rage add you.

That has literally never happened to me since beta.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I pretty much never accept/send friend requests unless they had a fun deck or it was a crazy match.

Only one time it was somebody salty that I didn't "let" them complete their combo when I was playing some homebrew combo garbage myself.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 26, 2021

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I had all the original classic legendaries plus Sylvanas and Velen when he moved to Wild. I did not have one though... Ragnaros. However, for some reason, it said I had all the classic legendaries though and gave me a Diamon Ragnaros. Sweet. Did they not count Rag/Sylvanas/Velen in that? Not that I'm complaining.

I don't know but I disenchanted Edwin when he got nerfed and I still got diamond Ragnaros.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Do you get anything for completing the secrets? Just achievement points?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The reason you want Neru is because you need a win condition and there is always a risk of burning one or more of them.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

If you are Paladin gently caress you

FTFY

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just +74/+74 every turn.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My sacrifice lock which was utter trash a month ago is now 7/10 after the patch.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Nozdormu day is a huge success at showcasing how nozdormu is a huge failure

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I really like Xyrella's last portrait but they got rid of the "such skill" emote so I'll probably have to stick with the first one.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Flat Tusk + Hogarr is probably the highest APM build.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just lost a 75%/10%/15% match. Followed by a 36/30/34. Then a 60/18/22. And finally died on a 91/4/5 with 1% lethal.
Clearly I shouldn't be playing battlegrounds.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Amaggan probably needs to be a 6*. And they could nerf the stats and gem frequency of the 9/6 and make it a 5*

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just had an insane game with golden Hoggarr, Flat Tusk and Amaggan which later turned into this:

I didn't know what the hell I was doing but it somehow worked out in the end.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think mutanus is probably a must include for any control deck for the mirror.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Flavor is mostly in the metagame anyway: art, flavor text (duh) and card names or themes. If you can have some of it in mechanics that's great but it should never come before balance.

While number adjustments might be "lazy" they tend to be the most elegant solutions. As a game designer myself I often see suggestions that would be overtly complicated, clutter the cards with text or swing the balance in the opposite direction. Sometimes they wouldn't even be feasible.

The upcoming Mutanus is a good example. The mechanic itself is very flavorful and the "eat a minion" is self explanatory even though it is not a keyword or existing mechanic. If for some reason it turned out to be OP it would be easier to increase its cost rather than changing it to something entirely different or adding unnecessary conditions.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Right, forgot about that card. But the point still stands regarding the flavor and mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Mostly, but there is some overlap with game mechanics. Like even defining what makes a card "feel" like a Hunter card vs Druid card vs etc. is flavor that will always overlap with game mechanics.
No arguments here.

quote:

Changing the mana cost of N'Zoth is literally the exact opposite of elegant. It was a brute force hamfisted fix. Pure functionality at the cost of style. For game designers, it was the easy fix. It's a fix I would have implemented myself if left to my own selfish devices, because I am not a game developer I am a competitive player and honestly I care so little about game flavor and I just want a functional in-game experience for competitive play. So it's :psyduck: that I'm the one that has to defend this position, because I can at least recognize that certain things should be done to keep the game healthy and at the very least can empathize with the game dev position.

There were many other possible solutions that could have been a better compromise between the style and the game mechanic balance. Armchair game devs across the Internet gave their speculations. And there is an example of this literally in the same patch: Crabrider.

The answer to why they didn't for N'Zoth's case unfortunately requires information from their development, balance, and testing black box that is not visible to the public. So I give them some benefit of the doubt, and say they went with this because of various logistical issues, whether it was time pressure or software coding issues, rather than any incompetence or worse, but ultimately this means an easy solution was chosen over a more appropriate harder solution, so without any inside details this is generically described from the outside as lazy.

I think this really depends on what your goal is and who you ask. For me game design is always king with very few exceptions so in this case it works as intended (as a buff) and remains as almost the exact same card so it is good. Then you have other times when they try to maintain the "soul of the card" and end up with a meme such as Warsong commander.

Another thing worth noting is that maybe something such as "giving all summoned minions rush" may sound simple but at a company like Blizzard it probably needs to go through a bunch of people and requires more work and coordination. Not only that, but it could even become a problem if it later turns out to be OP, like if there was an unintended OTK in there. The joke is that Blizzard is a "small indie company" but it might actually be easier for an indie to just change it quickly and see how it works out.
With something like crabrider you don't have that problem, first because it is a nerf so at worst it just ends up being bad, and second because it is a simpler effect which is much easier to anticipate.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2021