Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

looking forward to tinkering around with various aggro Warrior rush packages before giving up and defaulting back to Rogue/Paladin :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dantheman650 posted:

I haven't played since Saviors of Uldum - thinking of checking out this expansion. Is there a "hasn't played in a few years" catchup post anyone would recommend? Or some general advice? The state of the same looks so entirely different now.

There will be.

In about a week or two.

Until then, pick the Rogue/Paladin returning player deck, and then hold on because everyone is going to experience this huge shift together

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

shoc77 posted:

Haven't played Hearthstone since I quitted during the Deathknights release due to the high cost and stale gameplay.

Is this a good time to come back to the game? If I intend to keep to F2P, will I be able to compete on the ladder on get steamrolled by guys with full golden legendaries.

The Rewards Track system in 2021 is the most F2P-friendly the game has ever been.

We all will be getting the Core Set (and all its legendaries) for free.

It's a great time to come back.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Should probably hold off on claiming your “free deck for returning players” until either the patch or the expansion itself drops, though.

The post-rotation recipes kinda suck though. The Rogue one that's available now for 3 more days has good Legendaries and Epics that are all Standard-playable after rotation.

It's kinda fine either way.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

are they taking out the current "classic" cards and replacing them with the core set on the 25th too? or just un-nerfing stuff that is already in standard?

I guess it's 2 night of grinding ladder to try and make the cut for me

No.

25th: Cards are being unnerfed, and Nitroboost nerfed, no changes to Standard rotation.

Enjoy the 5 day pocket meta.

30th: Rise, Saviors, DoD/GA, DH Initiate, Classic, and Basic rotate out. Core and Barrens rotate in. All at once.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

If that’s the case then I’m guessing the second expansion will be Westfall themed with a Deadmines mini-set. Stormwind and Stockades could work too.

It probably won't be themed on major cities, since those were taken for the e-sports Masters Tour names this year. Westfall/Deadmines sounds on point though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah, people moan about his every expansion but there are no "solved and optimised" decks that come out of the streamer sessions, decks are still being refined and experimented on weeks down the line.
There is still plenty of jank out there, you will still go up against zoo and face hunter just as much as people net decking some half arsed meme deck that Regis Kiblin chucked together.

If you're referring to the theorycrafting streams, they also have an arbitrary marketing requirement that all decks crafted and played need to use 10+ cards from the new set, which nearly guarantees by definition they won't be optimized. So anyone netdecking from those are putting themselves at a disadvantage (typically) anyways.

That said, a majority of the legwork on experiencing interactions and ideas towards next-step tweaking does get spoiled by these streams.

Take for example this 5-day pocket meta: even though the initial Warrior Charge deck was solved pretty fast, it would have sucked if streamers had a chance to play this a week before it came out, preparing everyone in advance:

### OTK Pocket
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Dragon
#
# 2x (0) Inner Rage
# 2x (1) Risky Skipper
# 2x (1) Shield of Honor
# 2x (1) Sky Raider
# 2x (1) Stage Dive
# 2x (2) Armorsmith
# 2x (2) Battle Rage
# 2x (2) Crabrider
# 1x (3) Ancharrr
# 2x (3) Bloodsworn Mercenary
# 2x (3) Charge
# 1x (3) Lord Barov
# 2x (3) Warmaul Challenger
# 2x (4) Sword Eater
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
# 2x (7) Bloodboil Brute
#
AAECAQcC3q0Dk9ADDhbYApAD1ATcqQPdrQOktgO7uQOcuwOR0AP31AO13gPB3gOR5AMA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

the otk runs off crabrider, I assume? crabrider drawn by corrupted stage dive > inner rage x2 > charge is 5 mana for a 9/2 with charge/windfury and you dupe it with bloodsworn?

Yes, mix in Shield of Honor for even more insane damage.

Also sometimes you just beat their face in, down to 10 health, then go Sky Raider + Inner Rage + Charge + Bloodsworn for lethal on 7 mana, or something like that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

is risky skipper the only barov activator? seems iffy

? This has been standard in Enrage Warrior builds for months.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Rhaegar posted:

I’m trying to rank up before the end of the season and my wins aren’t counting. What gives? A bug? I’m not actually playing ranked?

I got this bug once, relog and try again

edit: the symptom I saw is if you queue a ranked match but can't see your own rank in the match, it's bugged and the match won't count

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Nybble posted:

Maybe something gets unlocked, but I thought all Classic cards were free? Is that not the case? Do those still have to be crafted?

No, Core Set cards are free (out in 2 days).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Holy LMAO there was a bug (that has since been hotfixed) where you could craft a Demon Hunter deck in Classic Format (with 30 neutrals) and play it in Classic Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgrj4bpbp7o

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/mfid0c/hey_blizzard_demon_hunter_is_playable_in_classic/

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

GTO posted:

And good riddance. What is going to be the new most toxic card to play against?

Real answer: Secret Passage

Priest answer: still Illucia by a fuckin mile

Underdog answer: Celestial Alignment. Generally players will HATE mana destruction more than even Tickatus maybe.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

Yeah, Celestial Alignment is gonna be one of those win/lose cards where if the Druid gets the right draw theres not much you can do, but probably wont be so consistent that it sees a nerf anytime soon. So it'll be one of those background cards that you know you have won or lost when it is played.

How soon is soon to you? The Johnny's of the world have already crafted a v2 of the deck to address these issues, featuring the Deathrattle mana cheat combined with the spell tutor elemental:

Like I don't expect a 28 hour nerf, but if it's not included in the 1-month balance pass I'd be shocked. This is a Guardian Animals situation all over again.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

yeah the thing with Celestial Alignment will be is it too slow like Tickatus. Tickatus is a horrible win rate card because it takes forever to get it's effect off (it's a 1 of card so you need it in hand, it needs to be corrupted) and then when you do create the conditions to play it you are dead if the opponent has any real board presence. Even if you manage to get the full gameplan off of multiple Tickatus's using either Felosophy or Y'Shaarj your opponent can still very easily kill you from hand. Most games you have time to "win" with Tickatus you were basically already winning because your tempo removal worked to delete the other more aggressive deck's win conditions.

Celestial Alignment has some advantages over Tickatus, in as much as it's not a legendary and there's a good way to tutor it out of your deck with tempo from that 8 mana card. It also limits your opponents follow up to a much greater extent than Tickatus. it's still the same issue though where if you are in a board position late game where you can effectively waste 7 mana to set up a big combo without immediately losing you were probably already winning.

will be fascinated to see how the Celestial Alignment decks fare. I suspect they will do really well the first week, and then get crushed once aggro re-asserts itself in the meta.

Tickatus never comes online before Turn 8, and has no board impact.

Celestial Alignment is a Druid card, will be played on Turn 6 at worst, and has an actual gameplan for winning with great synergy with the other big Druid ramp strategies.

I'm going to argue these two things are not comparable.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

hmm so here's the situation, I left off last night at Diamond 2 after peaking 2 wins away from legend.

my plan is to let the game settle a bit for the next 6-8 hours then pick the most degenerate aggro deck out there and try to cheese my way to a +4 record

Any early candidates?

Token Druid. Only required Guff, which is a pretty safe craft, doesn't even need new epics. It is smashing face.

edit: Also everyone is ALL over the 3-3/5 Watch Post right now, and Token Druid makes that card look so awful lmao

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 30, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

drat, pulled 9 legendaries in 119 packs, but whiffed on nearly every legendary I wanted (including the additional roll with level 20's legendary) and am 0/4 on the druid Epics.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What list you running?

I was cruising to the top of Diamond but then started getting stomped.

vS list:

### GibberGuff
# Class: Druid
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Gibberling
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 1x (2) Mark of the Wild
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Fungal Fortunes
# 1x (3) Guff Runetotem
# 2x (4) Pride's Fury
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (5) Glowfly Swarm
#
AAEBAZICAvvtA4efBA7lugPvugP5zAObzgO50gPw1AOJ4AOK4APR4QOM5AOt7AOz7AOunwTZnwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I only played 5 games for the quest (going 5-0) before moving on to test if Hunter was bugged/broken

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Hunter seems pretty terrible? Or is that just because I'm queuing as Priest?

Most of the builds are terrible right now. The beast mana costs are :psyduck: in almost every Tavish decklist I've seen. Add onto that the weirdness that was happening with Rinling's Rifle, which is reportedly fixed in the backend now but :shrug:

There is a lot of potential for improvement, especially once we see the real interaction with Mankrik and Barak, but it's possible this all isn't good enough compared to what every other class can do.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah I think it must have been, I was thinking if it had been discounted it'd show up in the sidebar with the new cost, but apparently not

usually I hate playing aggro decks but Secret Pally is a lot of fun, what are people's thoughts on Galloping Savior? I started off without it but I've just added it in because it's easy to run out of secrets if you draw both your swords early, and it feels much better than Goody Two-Shields which I cut for it

Should have been auto-include in pre-release theorycrafting lists, and I was stunned to see them left out of many. Provides great utility with the rest of the secret cards, it'll definitely make the cut once people narrow down the optimal total number of secrets to run.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Token Druid. Only required Guff, which is a pretty safe craft,

gah, pulling back on this part of my statement, early stats are indicating Guff is the worst card in Token Druid :(

So you end up with a boring decklist like this:

### Token Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 2x (1) Adorable Infestation
# 2x (1) Gibberling
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Thorngrowth Sentries
# 2x (3) Fungal Fortunes
# 2x (4) Pride's Fury
# 2x (4) Soul of the Forest
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (5) Glowfly Swarm
#
AAECAZICAA/lugPvugP5zAObzgO50gPw1AOJ4AOK4APR4QOM5AOt7AOz7AOunwTXnwTZnwQA
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/qYlBeX0mACL79beFel42qb/

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Flayer posted:

The building archetype does seem the strongest at this time, making Kargal a pretty safe looking craft (especially as a neutral card). However if you want to be really safe you can never be 100% sure on day 2 of a new expansion.

Kargal is slightly unsafe, as early numbers are profiling it as a win-more card in certain classes (and worst of the 30 in others), and the meta is kinda shifting to attempt to end the game before Turn 8.

Kazakus is the easy call for safe-craft, but even still there are too many strong 4's in a lot of the classes. Only Paladin, Rogue, and Warlock are using this lack of 4's the best, followed by maybe DH and Shaman.

edit: actually a "safe craft" right now isn't even a craft, it's Mankrik unironically. Featured as playable in a wide range of decks and classes.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 1, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I’ll check out those sites. I used to use something like Tempostorm, but I could be wrong. I’m a total net decker.

I used to play Zoolock, secret pally and I think jade shaman.

Highly recommend Vicious Syndicate and general decklists from HSReplay.net

Tempostorm in 2021 is basically a joke now, they just make up their numbers and data based on what their experts "feel", which worked in 2014 but is laughable today.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

mcbexx posted:

OMG OMG OMG

Arcane Luminary affects ALL cards not just cards in hand, right?

"Cards that didn't start in your deck cost (2) less, but not less than (1)."

Edit: Yes it does. YES IT DOES!

Yep, that kind of went as expected, lol.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/JEAfDvAEvxw7WGuPqcZ2E6

Seeing a mage not drop Lunacy on curve against no pressure on 2 is like seeing a Druid not drop Overgrowth on 4. For shame!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Twitch Drops are enabled; watch 4 hours of a participating HS stream and get 2 Barrens packs, ends Sun 4/4

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

RatHat posted:

Is Deck of Lunacy on 2 the new Prince Keleseth? I guess DoL is a bit less consistent.

No, because there are TWO Keleseths in this format, it's absurd.

Sword of the Fallen is showing a similar thing for Paladin, with or without Pen Flingers. Same as Keleseth/Lunacy, coining it out on Turn 1 is a more winning line than playing your 1-drop.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Secret Libram doesn't run Gossipers, no room and weaker synergy.

The early Aggro Secret build did, but it's weaker now.

Crabrider Secret does use them better,

and Rally Secret may or may not run them to increase the Goody Two-Shields rez chance

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ccubed posted:

As a very new player. Who started at the end of Feb just to play battlegrounds. And then everything got stale (bring back prizes.) So i put together a spell mage deck since i couldn't afford anything else. it's been really fun and now a nightmare. Secret Pally is so many magnitudes stronger. And most decks are competitive if spell mage doesn't get lucky early. I legit don't think spell mage should be nerfed.

I'll bet blizzard internal testing shows that spell mage falls off a cliff at a certain rank.

According to public data, it doesn't. Players just hate playing against it, and play these aggro decks designed to beat it but auto-lose to Paladin.

But also Paladin is just that good.

As fun as the RANDOMLOL meme is, this spell mage deck actually does take some skill to navigate. I've watched actual Grandmasters (who admitted it themselves) make multiple losing moves in mirror matches. And there are entire threads in CompetitiveHS around designing the deck (C'Thun or no), and which order to play Lunacy and Incanter's Flow.

So as you go up the ranks Spell Mage maintains as a top tier deck, but the dumpy aggro decks drop percentages because Paladin. (And the actually good aggro decks get to ~50% by the top 1k legend bracket).

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 6, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

mcbexx posted:

Everyone hates Mage and Refreshing Spring Water, but hear me out:

Why does it only refresh 3 Mana when you coin into it?
You get an extra Mana for the whole turn. Why would the coined mana vanish before refreshing to back to 4?

It's refresh, not gain.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Fenarisk posted:

Secret paladin isn't as good nowadays. I went from a 68% WR and tanked hard this week, including two aggro decks, lunacy mage that drew the nuts, control warlocks, and an oh my yogg that turned the enemy spell into humility allowing them to get past 2 taunts for exact lethal. People are absolutely teaching against it easily.

These are not examples of people teching against secret paladin, and actually are examples that support the fact that the deck is nuts good.

Secret Paladin is insanely favored against aggro decks, like 70-30 or 80-20 in some cases. It's also 60-40 vs Control Warlock. So yea boo hoo sorry you couldn't maintain 68% WR, but even at 56% or so the deck is Tier S.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Week 1 Grandmasters decklists have been posted:

https://www.yaytears.com/grandmasters/week/2021-04-07T08:00:26.363Z

47/48 brought Mage
46/48 brought Paladin
46/48 brought Rogue

best of luck to the commentators this weekend lmao

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

Fortunately the mages are all Deck of Lunacy so there will be plenty of random and whacky poo poo to react to. I think most people are planning to ban paladin and roll the bones with mage. At least there's some diversity in the rogue decks?
https://twitter.com/LorindaGames/status/1379784156616527873
https://twitter.com/Casie_HS/status/1379727944931753986

Eh it's all still the same Pen Flinger core, which is most people's complaint.

Holy poo poo, not that this is happening, but the timing. Everyone expected this to happen, but as today rolled around everyone assumed it wasn't happening. I was literally looking at his decklists this morning, with Asia-Pacific matches already having been played :psyduck:

Like goddamn they are just gonna roll with 15 players this week (Eddie and Briarthorn get a free win) :psyduck: why did they wait so late for this

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

fanny packrat posted:

Has anyone gotten their packs yet from the YouTube stream?

nope, this is a scam :lmao:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Random rant, but the Priest XP achievement to start 50 turns with a full hand is just the absolute worst. Why would I want to do this. Why would you intentionally ask me to do this.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

You don't have to burn a card, it works if you draw your 10th at the start of the turn.

This makes no sense :psyduck: now the achievement is even worse.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

you don’t start your turn until after you draw a card hth

No. Start of turn stuff happens before the card draw, such as Corruption/Nat Pagle/Amazing Reno.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

You're all missing the point anyways, which is gently caress Priest

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Gully Foyle posted:

I think I've heard a suggestion thrown around to make Spellburst only trigger when mana is spent on a spell (no 0-mana triggers).

No way. Spellburst almost certainly was designed with intent to give The Coin more utility.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This is probably going to be one of the most difficult balance patches this game has ever done. There is such a huge split between what's actually powerful, what feels powerful, and what feels bad to play with/against, multiplied by the difference in all of these between the general playerbase vs top players, let alone what actually sets up the metagame from a game design perspective going forward.

Add on top hopefully some bugfixes such as the constant disconnects and the animation bugs, it almost certainly won't be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

There's definitely more cards that people want nerfed than Blizzard is hitting (six). Off the top of my head, there's at least two Watch Posts, Pen Flinger, Deck of Lunacy, Refreshing Spring Water, Conviction, Sword of the Fallen, and Reckoning that are getting a decent amount of hate right now. Don't forget that there's at least one Rogue card that's getting nerfed besides though - that adds Efficient Octo-Bot and Jandice Barov to the list. That's ten right there without even going into "doubtful, but plausible" category.

edit: Honestly, the only real locks I see here are Deck of Lunacy and Sword of the Fallen. None of the others are guaranteed IMO.

The fact that you forgot to list Tickatus, which had an entire section of the last AMA dedicated to it, is exemplary of the situation.

It's pretty unfortunate that only Lunacy and Sword really need nerfs from a game health perspective, as the rest of the meta would likely adjust to compensate, but optically this just looks so bad that they are doing this 6 card change instead.