Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I know it's a regular complaint, but I really do want to see Warlock number of removals, and follow up with Tickatus, go so far into the loving sea they have to get passports for Atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Control Warlocks being able to destroy an entire deck’s with of minions without ever playing one themselves is loving toxic, and I hope someone at least has the decency to feel embarrassed about it. It’s like you’re playing Chess vs someone who has decided to play Twister on the board.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As Face, play-every-card-you-can Hunter is back, I need to remind myself this game is not targeted at people who want interesting decisions to settle their games, just give us your loving money nerds.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
So....

Quillboars, specifically Aggem Thorncurse, and a single Cave Hydra...

I mean, killing all 7 people in 7 turns was fun and all, but also... uhm... yeah.

(I moved all the Bloodstones onto it, and nobody got wise quick enough to poison me out.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Standard has just crept to the point where viable tactics have become strong enough that you can ignore whole sections of the game. Like, no Minion Mage? Fine and cool idea, generate everything via spells. But never playing ANYTHING Mage, so the board just doesn’t matter? Fuckin’ stupid.

The same applies to Paladin and buffs, Priest value, and so on. These systems are all cool and interesting, the issue is they’ve pushed the envelope on all of them to the point the core mechanic the game was built on is often irrelevant to the point of silliness.

The outcome is we’ve always had a Tier 1, but the gap between Tier 1 and 2 usually isn’t ‘don’t even loving bother’

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Poison Rogue has now carried me from Plat 10 to Diamond 7, in straight consecutive wins, including sealing 12 in a row off my Achievements. Deck is good, and super rewards never playing anything that doesn’t benefit you enough.

One Hunter was even running double Acidic (wtf) and still couldn’t hold me off. I don’t think there’s a single slot I’d change at this point, everything has a purpose.

### Poison
# Class: Rogue
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Preparation
# 2x (1) Deadly Poison
# 2x (1) Paralytic Poison
# 2x (1) Prize Plunderer
# 2x (1) Secret Passage
# 2x (1) Sinister Strike
# 2x (2) Silverleaf Poison
# 2x (2) Swindle
# 2x (2) Wandmaker
# 2x (2) Wicked Stab (Rank 1)
# 2x (3) Cloak of Shadows
# 1x (3) Coerce
# 2x (3) Self-Sharpening Sword
# 2x (3) Swinetusk Shank
# 1x (4) Apothecary Helbrim
# 2x (5) Cutting Class
#
AAECAZurBAKK0AOv6wMOqssD/tED1dQD99QD4t0D590D890DqesDqusDrOsDresDkp8ElJ8E958EAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 13, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

fanny packrat posted:

Any suggestions for replacing Helbrim? I've been running the VS list (all same except no Helbrim, only 1 SSS, double Coerce, and Mankrik) and it generally feels good and competitive, even when it loses.

Have you been facing many paladins, face hunters, or token druids? those have been really bad for me.

gently caress, whatever, he’s a good source of extra poison but also, you’re never that comfortable dropping at T4 Minion either - deck has poo poo to be doing. He’s be Kazakus if it weren’t for the fact I need to be face smashing people around T5, and it has no Minions to buff.

Another Coerce, a Backstab, Vulpera or MAYBE Vanessa would maybe be my preference. Nothing greedy, you don’t have time to be wasting doing setups.

E: Or, for mega utility, ‘waste’ the Slot, and put in an Owl or Fogsail Freebooter. Valeera needs to never be wasting a 7-10 Attack Sword on a Minion.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 13, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’d just like Discover to be universally a weaker mechanic. gently caress, I’d happily see all Discovers only give two cards.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Illuminti posted:

You're pretty much hosed if they play an Ogremancer aren't you? I don't normally play Rogue, but I like this deck....however, at this point if I see an Ogremancer come out I just concede.

Yes, you need to be planning for a way to do 7 damage on T5 without dropping more Spells for it. But otherwise, you're probably due to fold.

E: well, not going past D5 this month, because it is a loving barren wasteland of Paladin and nothing else. At least the counter deck you can build that loses to everything else keeps it I- oh, there isn’t one? Get hosed, play Yellow cards or lose? Your ‘nerf’ hit it where it doesn’t care, and overall made it stronger? Excellent.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 17, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Illuminti posted:

Either you're playing different decks to me because I'm only in gold rank or I'm doing something wrong(it's this one), because this deck is useless for me. Ogremancer comes out and you don't have a 7 plus attack weapon....dead. Any taunt minion, probably dead. Two taunt minions? Concede. More than two minions on their board. dead. Don't pull a weapon till turn 5? dead.

I'm feeling every win i have is totally reliant on me starting with a weapon in my hand and them not having a taunt minion. They manage to build up even a half arsed board and I might as well concede

Ogremancer is the problem; Taunts are usually fine. You must NOT waste Wicked Stab & Coerce if you expect/suspect a series of Taunts, and sometimes (Renowned Performer is an excellent example) you don't want to drop a Minion at all, just to avoid them being able to proc their Deathrattle. You should always be Mulliganing for Weapons first, Poisons second, and keeping Secret Passages as long as you have the first two.

quote:

Ogremancer is almost always an insta-concede but I've found taunts to only be an issue if they drop 4+, which doesn't happen in a lot of current decks. From your list, I would swap 1 x SSS for a second Coerce (I also use Mankrik instead of Helbrim but that's not relevant here) so that with 2 x Coerce, Wicked Stab, and Prize Plunderers you should be able to deal with the first few taunts they drop fairly consistently.

Hilariously, this is the exact set of Changes I made in Diamond. I stalled out at D5 (because it's NOTHING but Paladins, and even when you win it's incredibly unfun.) but it got me to there. I'm not sold on Mankrik either, but it's the one card slot you can argue a bunch of things to be.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 19, 2021

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Paladin however is just a loving joke. Let’s ‘nerd’ it at the point it doesn’t lose, but also in the process buff it in the portion that does matter because you +50% increased the chance of getting one of the incredibly good 1 cost utility drops who only don’t feature in decks because #Slotsm8.

And then there’s Conviction, which firstly combos incredibly well with <all this other poo poo> and means any turn you left them keep a Silver Hand recruit or whatever can turn swingy at an instant, and only costs 1 so who cares.

It’s just… amazingly poorly thought through.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Intentional Controversy - Every deck currently featuring C’Thun would be improved by swapping him to Yogg.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, I'm done until expansion.

We have two Classes, one of them (Paladin) is just flat better than everything else, and the other (Mage) is just basically saying 'While you play Hearthstone, I'm playing a side Pachinko and sometimes it says I win'. They're both poo poo to play against, for different reasons. One is an uphill slog vs just better cards, and the other feels like it doesn't really matter who did what, because occasionally it'll hand out a win for funsies by Discover or Lunacy or whatever.

I know to some extent That's Hearthstone, but it's fuckin' silly right now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Most mages don't run Lunacy anymore, it's all about whether they get the early incanter's flow and pop off with spring water. It's a very high roll deck like Token Druid.
Sure, and hence the That's Hearthstone comment - High roll has always existed (well, since early on, anyway) but I don't think it's ever been as common or as viable due to the mad prevalence of removal. When some Classes have the ability to literally destroy an entire average deck's worth of Minions from hand (what the gently caress Priest), they've just pushed the envelope too far, and just after a 'new base set' there's no way they'll walk it back. This is the new normal, this is clearly what makes them money.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

GTO posted:

I remember reading a good tip from a top player a while back about this. They were highlighting the opposite of 'playing around' what an opponent might have, which is 'make them have the card' ie you might try to play conservatively and avoid putting minions on the board in case they have a hysteria, the flipside is could you drop a board that isn't all in for you but that makes them answer it and they lose if they have the wrong cards in hand - as every turn gives them more of a chance to draw or generate the right cards.

I guess it's closely tied into the concept of knowing who is the aggressor in a given match up or game.

Which could be utilised as describing the exact complaint of the power of Discover effects, especially in a small pool of Spells; Maybe they don’t have the spell, but drop a Scorpid and you have decent odds of tutoring one up from nothing at all (instead of traditional Tutors which at least fish them from your deck) - It’s like a perpetual sideboard.

You can’t even make it so Discover can’t find things in your deck, because that makes it gameable even worse...

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh my. Just managed to see a Hunter have lethal on Turn 4, in Standard, going first. That's certainly A Thing.

T1:
Intrepid Initiate

T2:
Demon Companion (Kolek)
Demon Companion (Kolek)

T3:
Kolkar Pack Runner
Wound Prey

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Spell Mage & Discover Priest - Don’t worry about trying to work what what we’re playing, we don’t know either.

You said deck construction was too relevant and in-game choices not impactful enough, so we made deck construction totally irrelevant!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
D5 really is a brick wall now, huh.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
An actual intentional fatigue Priest in Dad Legend. Genuinely considered Seppuku by lamp.

Honestly, how long has Priest been like this now, a year? An entire class whose purpose is to randomly ensure one of the two players does nothing all game, and it’s just deciding which person it’ll be?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I think I just lived the dream.

Druid opponent plays Celestial Alignment.

I’m playing Stealer of Souls Warlock, and I have Hand of Guldan ready to go. :getin:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The big brain play is to realise you’re at the very intentionally manufactured gate where Time Played becomes much more impactful than Quality Played, and refuse to engage.

Dad Legend is Legend without the time sink trappings, and they need you to believe otherwise for those Engagements.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Fuuuuck D5 is a miserable sea of Control Priest, Survival Druids etc.

I don’t think I’ve ever actively resented feeling like playing before - like, you want to log on because you know it should be fun, then every game just isn’t. There’s one to three too many easy removal tools per class, so your minion better Rush, have a way to be cheated is out, or do a solid Battlecry or Deathrattle, or it’s worthless.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also huge congratulations Ana, didn’t mean to be such a downer right in the middle of your achievement, catharsis etc.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Because if they fixed it, we’d be calling out how hosed Standard is right now by comparison, so it has to stay poo poo so we don’t notice so much.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
You’re playing games on the Internet in 2021. If there’s an exploitative, lovely, cheating or just plain arsehole way to do something in a game, even if it makes the experience negative for everyone including the user in the long run, not only is a huge number of people doing it, a number of people are monetising doing it in streams and advocating it to others.

(I mean, still, don’t do it, don’t contribute to the problem, but also you’re pissing in the ocean to keep back the tide.)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There’s a mechanical problem with the game there too - they can put cool Strats worth drafting in that aren’t Tribe related (anything Macaw is an example of this) but they’re by definition always more weak to the way the drafting works in BG - you can get just plowed by the game telling you to go gently caress yourself a few turns later.

They like the idea, obviously, they keep making them, but the basic system doesn’t actually support them over either STATS STATS STATS or the gimmick of one of the Tribe enablers.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Already extremely bored of the ‘mini game that decides the whole game’ of ‘Who got Ysera Awakens off Naralex?’

If neither of you did, play Hearthstone.
If one of you did, that person wins off the clear, because your opponent either gets wiped or cedes the board holding back.
If both of you did, play Hearthstone.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How long do we have to actually suffer Priest like this?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It’s more Minions have a ridiculously short lifespan now, because there’s so many (many!) ways to remove one. What’s the point of holding board when you can do 20 from hand, or they might delete everything with a single card, etc.

Once upon a time Flamestrike was a gold standard.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AnacondaHL posted:

20.8.2 Patch Notes out
https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23686112/20-8-2-patch-notes

Apotheosis down to +1/+2
Renew to 2 mana
Gibberling to 2 mana

First entirely uncontentious patch in forever. Literally, is there a human on the planet, even habitual Priest players who aren't like 'Yeah, about right.'.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean, there's basically nothing left that will consistently beat Face Hunter now so get ready for even more of those fucks

So, at the risk of sounding like someone who would eventually homogenise everything (and I'm not, I care only about outliers) I'd say that's more a problem with Face Hunter than a problem with lack of Face Hunter counter-options. We shouldn't want an identity that says 'I only win by Blue-style counterplay until we go to fatigue' but we also shouldn't want an Identity that says 'I only win by ensuring your deck never gets off the ground'. Both of these are undesirable, because they're too binary for an interesting game to play.

And yes, the risk again is that you go too far and make everyone mid-range samey. There's a balance to be found.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kalko posted:

But when Priest plays against aggro and gets to the point where any other control deck would concede, half the time the Priest players themselves don't even know if they've lost at that point because they might be able to generate a bunch of random stuff to stay in the game. And when Priest plays against control, again, there is no point where both players understand that the threats or value generators have been exhausted, so there's no late game concede either. And so the Priest player keeps the game going, all the while thinking their choices matter, but when your generous random card generator only ever offers you three different ways to prolong the game and zero ways to bring it to a close, what choice do you have? And what did it matter what you put in your deck at the start of the game?

This is the crux of it. Why bother thinking about what's in your deck, when you can just 'I'll just have a sideboard of the entire Priest card pool' by putting all the generators in, or at least all the reliable ones that fire on Battlecry/Cast.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

RatHat posted:

Here’s the new card by the way

Seems very good against aggro.

Seems very good considering they already have Drain Soul, Soul Shear, School Spirits, Siphon Soul, Unstable Felbolt, Unstable Shadow Blast, Hellfire, Cascading Disaster AND Twisting Nether, all in Standard. Holy poo poo do not plan on seeing a Minion stick vs Warlock. :v:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
And then, as the Rush Warrior I’m against drops his loving FOURTH Samuro, I am reaffirmed that Discover is too loving good a mechanic for what it does that relied on the bloated end of a cycle to not be stupid.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, this seems like it's gonna be busted as gently caress and was developed to fuel Trolden videos (just posting the card image):

So in other words, drop that on Turn 8, then on Turn 9 and 10 drop your Primordials and get a free +4/+4 buff each time.

gently caress it's Battlecry, so you can't even kill him to avoid it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AnacondaHL posted:

Still a work in progress, but it's close to what I want:

### Anacondra Token
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 1x (1) Guidance
# 2x (1) Nature Studies
# 2x (2) Guess the Weight
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (2) Solar Eclipse
# 2x (3) Fungal Fortunes
# 1x (3) Speaker Gidra
# 2x (4) Germination
# 2x (4) Overgrowth
# 2x (5) Arbor Up
# 2x (5) Glowfly Swarm
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Lady Anacondra
# 2x (6) Nourish
# 2x (8) Cenarion Ward
#
AAECAZICBPXOA4rkA+TuA6iKBA3lugPmugPougPvugObzgPw1AOJ4AOK4AOk4QPR4QOM5AOunwTanwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

The Clown Druid deck is just vS's list for now, I haven't looked much into adjusting it to the new post-nerf meta
https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/decks/cenarion-clown-druid-2/

I love this when it works, but my, it falls to pieces very often in a world where people can often just remove 3-4 Anancondras.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Something I’ve never really considered until I started playing it a bit more with the new reward track…

Is there any consistency or system to how cards are offered when drafting in Arena? I just played vs a Shaman most of the meta Doomhammer deck in Arena, and I managed to draft 2 Malygos, but literally two Spells.

I foolishly assumed perhaps there was some internal consistency, and there was an equal number of value cards offered per person…

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I’m trying to even begin to wrap my head around Canal Slogger. That… that seems to be a hilariously over the curve card compared to… well, everything else in the set?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It's a very undervalued keyword. Hell, I'd say with the demise of most Silences, nearly all the Keywords are undervalued.

In aiming to prove that, thought experiment: What stats need to be printed onto a card with no text at the mid-range? What's the modern Chillwind Yeti look like to be playable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
If this was a physical game, I’d sell my collection.