Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I'm totally going to try and stack as many Wildfires as possible for Hero Power Mage when I've gotten over rejoicing at the resurrection of Crystal Core Quest Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Gonna chime in the recommendations and say Griftlands is worth your time. It's another turn-based roguelike deckbuilder card game, but with a couple of key distinctions:
1) You are building not one deck, but two. One deck is used for combat, and one is used for negotiating. You'll make more friends if you err on the side of diplomacy (unless that diplomacy is used for things such as threatening to kick in someone's face), and having friends is good because you'll get passive perks that help you out. However, not everyone is reasonable and able to be talked down, so you NEED to build up a combat deck or else you'll be a sitting duck. But focussing solely on combat won't win you many friends, and may earn you enemies, which can really come back to bite you. The whole game is a balancing act between the two, and it's done really well.
2) It's very story-based, with plenty of characters to meet and interact with. As aluded to in my previous point, gaining friends is great because you gain perks. Not only that, but if you get jumped by someone wanting to stab your face in, any friends nearby will rush to defend you. Contrariwise, anyone who dislikes you in the area is liable to try and make your life as difficult as possible. You might realise that killing a certain character might actually not be a great idea since they're friends with somebody you're friends with, who will then hate your guts for killing their mate. The writing for the dialogue is excellent and well worth reading your first time through. Once you've learned the general story beats, it's pretty trivial to skip past it, but it's definitely a nice addition to the gameplay.

Outside of key distinctions, there's also three characters to play which all operate very differently, certain modifiers you can apply to a game if you want to shake the rules up a bit to make it easier or harder, a Brawl mode where the story is entirely cut out and you just go from encounter to encounter, Grifts and Mettle which are meta currencies that make your character stronger over multiple playthroughs (which is entirely optional to use, by the way!), and of course, it's a Klei game, so the artwork and animation is sublime and the music is well composed and really helps set the mood for each scene.

Would absolutely recommend.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

What the gently caress is this tavern brawl

Ai controls your moves? Seriously?
My Ai decided it was a good idea to play Xyrella's Elekk Mount on an enemy minion and generally keep them alive.

Then as Mage, when faced with the watch post that gives +1/+1 when casting a spell, proceeded to ignore it and cast as many spells as possible, giving my opponent lethal

Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

I'm going to be a little bit miffed if they decide to nerf Wild Big Shaman, particularly because I have a really bad feeling they won't touch aggro in the process.
Why is it that it's not okay to get big minions out early game as a highroll, but it IS okay to consistently poo poo out tons of pirates on turn 1 and 2, play an OP weapon on 3 and go hard face? I know what I'd rather lose to.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Again, I will be very sad if they completely ignore aggro in wild and nuke big shaman. Like, okay if you want to tie it back somewhat then eh, but please don't make it so our only option is making GBS threads out pirates as fast as possible

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

I am not surprised to find my fears were right. Can't wait to face endless Pirate Rogues in Wild, those are really fun.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Firebert posted:

loathe this

Instant gold craft. In Wild I'm going to play this followed by a ton of copied cards.

It won't win me games but by god it'll be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Look Demon Hunter was an edgelord class and I'd rather Monk get added before we get another edgelord class I'll never play

Illidan's greetings is 'Evil draw close' and Arthas greeting will probably be something like 'Join me in the darkness', why can't we have a happy 'Greetings, want a brew?' from Stormstout