Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Wish I knew that was a thing because I just came back after dropping the game during Whispers of the Old Gods, mostly thanks to the core set shuffle feeling like the playing field is levelled a bit.

I'm just deckbuilding at this point and whatever gets to 30/30 first I'll probably be pushing - token druid seems to be in the lead but elemental shaman is getting up there. I'd prefer token since I've been playing with the Druid welcome back deck using the Darkmoon Menagerie and really enjoying druid cards and decks. Good to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Last King posted:

people might hate on this brawl, but at least it's coin toss and very quick

Let me introduce you to Crimson Sigil Runner/Kor'vas/Consume Magic deck.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Control warlock makes me want to take a cheese grater to my genitals, and while this:

enki42 posted:

Warlock and Mage both have sub 50% winrates right now (at Diamond+), so I really doubt they'd go after either of them.

is true, personally I find it very un-fun to play against. It's only been a couple of weeks so maybe the meta just needs time to evolve a bit but I do not enjoy going up against a warlock, ever, as a token druid. The removal they have at all stages of the game make it very hard to get any sort of momentum going (a-doy DBD it's a control deck that's the point) but I think it's a perfect storm of board clear at multiple levels, lots of healing to counter the damage from tapping, motherfucking Tickatus to push the fatigue/surrender win condition faster on your opponent that make me find it so obnoxious.

mcbexx posted:

I swear to god, three games in a row now my opponents played Mankrik and drew the spell the very next turn (none of them Hunters with Kodobane).

WTF?

While not the same thing, my token druid deck isn't finished (25/30 cards so subbed a couple) so I used to play a Darkmoon Menagerie deck while building, and in back-to-back games the opponent played his Vol'jin card late game and dragged my N'zoth out, wasting the battlecry. I swear that troll has some sort of old god homing device built into his ability because in one game I had four other cards in my hand, and in another six, and both times he just yanks out N'zoth.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

No way you could watch those streams without muting since the commentary is dreadful.

Yeah no kidding, nobody on these streams has any charisma. I'm just here for the freebie packs. Finally finished my Token Druid deck!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Guff is alright he's just very awkward to play in my experience. Anyone who understands how a token deck works will beeline to remove him if you play him on curve because of his statline. His effect doesn't proc from 10 cards in the deck I use him in ( https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/token-druid-deck) - I dunno whether you'd call them spells or effects whatever the proper term for them is but because they're not NATURE he won't buff other minions. He's nice when he pops up, but he hasn't been a game winner for me and usually only sees play if I can cheat out Mark of the Wild or Arbor Up to give him some bulk. I don't think he's amazing value and might re-evaluate him later down the line.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Todays messup; mulligan Thorngrowth Sentries, Solar Eclipse, 2x Innverate, and had coin. I look at that and correctly deduce "Wow, I can 4/8 with taunt on the board in turn one, that's insane!"

So of course I naturally get far too excited and pop coin > solar eclipse first. Instead of, y'know, being smart and going coin > innervate > innervate > solar eclipse > thorngrowth sentries.

I still won in the end but drat I was really salty about messing up that opener. I'd love to hear some board tales of misplays that either worked in your favour or against it.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 19, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Very excited to have gotten to Silver 5 for the first time ever. I know it's probably small beans to all of you but progress is progress!

Boy a Turn 5 Glowfly Swarm into a Turn 6 Lightning Bloom > Solar Eclipse > Arbor Up is absolutely beautiful to see. It's very hard to stop potentially 42 damage flying at your face (realistically it's lower) if you ignore the treant bit and go hard on raw stat buffs to set up an OTK (am I using that term correctly?) You'd think Guff is the MVP of the deck but it's Solar Eclipse into Arbor Up that gives me the big smiles.

I notice that Sir Annoy-O is in the shop right now - will these purchasable heroes be rotating? I would very much like Dame Hazelbark to replace Malfurion.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Does anyone have any recommended guides - either written or video format, I don't mind - to help me improve at the Arena/BG/Duel aspect of the game? I usually only manage to eke out 1-2 wins in arena which doesn't seem like a great investment for my tickets, and while I have a lot of fun in BGs and generally do very well early I get bamboozled by these people who somehow end up with these 30/50 unstoppable juggernauts around 8-9 coins. I think I'm doing something wrong but can't really see what it is I'm doing that needs changing.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Aaaaargh I am so loving salty right now!

I started tonight as Silver 3 and things were going well enough that I was feeling good, soon I was at silver 1 and thinking hey I could get to gold tonight!

Nope.

3 times I was at promotion match and either through the decks I faced or just bad card draw I lost. Aggro DH, Secret Paladin and a Face Hunter. Then I went on tilt and made the mistake of saying that I'd either hit Gold or Silver 2. Well, five back and forth games later and an aggro Shaman knocked me down to Silver 2. I logged off at that point.

Probably seems silly to you folks - I've seen some of you say that you hit Legend or Diamond but I'm usually very poor at card games like this and token druid has been a lot of fun to play and done very well for me. Alright whining over I'll have another crack at it this weekend.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Hey I'm starting to reach the end of my tether with these control decks that I can't get myself up and running as Token Druid - what's the most obnoxious, horrible cheese deck one could run in the current standard meta? I'm guessing it's some form of Priest deck?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Token Druid is an even matchup with Control Priest and Control Warlock. If you're looking to switch because of that, I'd recommend against it.

Otherwise, in a vacuum, the "cheesiest" deck right now is Poison Rogue, which destroys every slow matchup and gets wrecked by any aggro deck. There is also Rally Priest combo, which is a different kind of "cheese".

You should use https://hsreplay.net/meta/ to find a good deck for you, bonus if you use the deck tracker and it can show how far off in dust you are from crafting decks.

Actually at my level it is ALL Spell Mage/Control Warlock/Secret Paladin with Face Hunter as a fourth. Just very tedious since they feel like they shut me down as Token waaaaay too hard, so maybe it's time to think about expanding, you know?

E: Also my noob hot take right now is "Boo soul shards why is a class who's entire archetype sacrificing health for card advantage have so much self healing?" God I hate doing a bunch of face damage and they just patch it right back up by drawing a clown's pocket full of +2 health.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

im new to this game and loving it, but all the terminology in this thread has me a little lost

what's roping? It sounds like a euphemism for cumming

In card games it means to play right up until the alloted time for your turn. This is very literal in Hearthstone - there's a fuse that goes down as you take your time until it hits the end turn button and automatically ends your turn. I've seen it used before as bad sportsmanship to try and force a concede by boring your opponent with long waiting times until they can play their cards.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Ohhhh I see. I'm only at the very lowest levels, just got outa Apprenticeship, and have already encountered that. Another one I've noticed is people deliberately taking an exceptionally long time to do the fatal hit. I try to be well mannered and let them get their win sometimes if it's inevitable in the next turn, rather than conceding. Am I being the dick? Should I actually be conceding?

When you say an exceptionally long time is it people just taking forever to make a minion hit your face or they're playing card after card for overkill? Some daily quests have you cast X amount of spells or play X amount of minions so I tend to cut someone some slack if that could be a daily. If it's become painfully obvious that I can't survive next turn I usually just concede.

Also I don't know if it's just me but back when the game started, you used to see a lot of people using the Well Played emote as a catch for "I have lethal and this is the last turn" although a lot of games are very silent now...

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Last King posted:

updating this beta still in active development game's features to include a filter which would block inappropriate words is extremely time consuming and complicated work for this small indie game startup. when they can't even update without breaking old content (solo adventures) where it can lock you out of the entire game and your account, asking for something as complex as a word filter is a very, very lofty reach goal.

Off the back of this, is it still possible to clear Knights of the Frozen Throne and get the Arthas Paladin hero or is it turbo busted? If so I might have myself a project for my day off at the end of the week!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Are there any legendaries that are currently out of vogue/generally "bad" that are safe to dust? Here's my list of them so far:

Guff Runetotem
Deck of Lunacy
Xyrella
Neeru Fireblade
Overlord Saurfang
Moonfang
N'zoth, God of the Deep

I'm kinda hard up on dust right now and would wanna go for another deck for some variety. Some token druids use Guff but he hasn't been a gamewinner for me so I wouldn't mind losing him.

Alternatively here's my collection: https://hsreplay.net/collection/2/17464881/

Sorry if it's a bit presumptuous for someone to go through this, just don't want to fall into the trap of dusting something that was actually really good and was a silly move to do so.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

Aside from Deck of Lunacy, which you're unfortunately a few days late on the full dust refund but feel free to dust it now, all of these legendaries have high Regret Risk. You really should wait until at least the mini-set before dusting Standard-playable cards.

edit: Actual advice: you're many Rares short of a full set, meaning I recommend first focusing on spending gold/$ on packs until at least you have all the rares, then you can think about dust and crafting epics/legendaries afterwards.

Huh, quoting in dark mode makes everything pink. Interesting!

On another note thank you so much for this advice, I'll keep on keeping on as I am, at least I have one playable deck.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

kaaj posted:

None of those legendaries are super op, but I had fun with every single one of them. Maybe except Guff, he's the only one I didn't use in my decks yet.

I made a mistake when I started Hearthstone years ago, when I was dusting every card I wasn't playing and it just made it worse for me to build the whole collection once I decided that I want it. Based on what I went through, I'd have preferred not dusting then re-crafting cards I already owned, it felt super bad doing that.

I settled on dusting every single premium card if I have two (or one for legendaries) non premium copies as the source of my dust. Also, filtering the collection for all cards and dusting old premiums, etc.

How much dust are you short from being able to build your deck? (i.e. do you need to dust all the cards or some, etc?)

I'd be a couple of thousand dust short regardless of whatever deck I'd want to build, according to HSReplay's decks, I just figured I might have some dust locked up in a legendary card that would help go towards that but because I'm kind of new to using an ounce of gray matter here I'm anxious about dusting something that's actually really good. Your anecdote is pretty much what I'm afraid of - dusting a bunch of stuff and then regretting it later. I'll hold fire until the mini set and then grab that and re-evaluate.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Paladin seemed like the safest bet for me so I grabbed that one. Really I don't feel like I could've gone wrong with any of the sets that had Kazakus since he seems to have a fair bit of overlap across multiple classes, I just gravitated towards the highest winrate.

Also grabbed Dame Hazelbark from the shop because I wanted her since I came back. OLD LADY TREE POWER!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Ran across my first Priest deck out in the wilds of ranked silver 3. Haha wow yeah that deck's nonsense. I'm assuming it was either someone getting their rank back up or just bought the deck and we're taking it for a spin but I'm not convinced that pulling cards out of thin air endlessly until you find the perfect solution is a deck you can't really build to fight or react around. Just gotta roll with the punches I suppose.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Ever since the decks went on sale I've had absolutely rotten luck with token Druid. I think it might be time to gravitate towards another deck (I bought the secret Paladin deck) because while I could handle control Warlock and spell Mage pretty well and hold my own against secret Paladin there's a lot more face hunters/rush warriors/priests lurking in the silver 5-1 bracket which just crush it. Maybe it's time to go back to some sort of ramping Druid for sturdiness.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

My current mental state is being naked in the rain screaming and tantruming while covered in my own feces and banging on the gates of Gold 5 to just let me in.

I've been playing since about 10am (so on and off during work for six hours) and spent the majority of that time ping-ponging around the stars of Gold 6 and now I've finally been booted down to Gold 7. What a waste of the afternoon.

The highs and lows are real and I both love and hate this stupid children's card game, but it's time for a break for today and to come back tomorrow.

... So how's everyone's day going? :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

drat good advice

AnacondaHL posted:

More drat good advice

Hey thanks for the feedback you two, and I'm sorry if in general I seem to nerd rage or tantrum at the children's card game - I like to see it as a sign of my investment and enjoyment that I care enough about it. Good shout on playing what I find fun, because whie I can climb decently as secret pally I'm yearning to try some new decks. Think I might try a Demon Hunter deck or something a bit off-meta. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Did the thing got the prize folding for tonight because hahahaha I know when to walk away from the table.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

I got Dadgar from the shop, so I'm happy with all current cosmetics. Now just working on crawling toward a few more golden heroes and playing the awesome, yet difficult, Delete Warlock. Bring on the miniset.

Same I bought him because I love WoW Dadgar - is the same VA? At this rate I'm just happy not to put up with Jaina. Now if they can release Madame Lazul so I can swap out Tyrande that'd be great!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Wish I asked for the decklist of a Warlock I played in ranked last night. Some combination of 2x Felosophy, The Dark Portal, Free Admission and Tickatus in order to play 3x Corrupted Tickatus in a single turn and burn half my deck. Absolutley shocking but hilarious to witness.

E: I take it I've missed the Twitch pack drops now? Stupid GMT :(

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 13, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Piggy Smalls posted:

Would love to have seen this

Good news, I still have the HSReplay:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/SndvqLyYLMKHMmQZfofEfS

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 13, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sort of having the opposite experience where I go in and it's another sort of hand/miracle/control deck and it's intensely boring to play against. I actually just pushed the button and went face 5 times against a rogue because I didn't have anything I could play on my token druid (all the buffs, none of the minions) and he couldn't really do anything because the board was empty?

That doesn't feel right to me. Board should matter but it feels so trivial to clear it that why even bother playing any deck with minions? Just load up with spells and pelt each other in the face until HP hits 0. I actively dread dailies of the "play 3 matches as XYZ" type or the weekly win 5 ranked matches because ranked is such a snoozefest and I can't wait to go back to Battlegrounds where it's faster and more fun. Am I alone in feeling like this?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Are the golden standard/mega golden standard bundles the mini sets people keep talking about or is that something else? I don't think mini sets were a thing when I past played so I'm not familiar with the term

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Aha, thanks for explaining everyone - I'll hold fire until I see this mini set. :)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Chernabog posted:

Just lost a 75%/10%/15% match. Followed by a 36/30/34. Then a 60/18/22. And finally died on a 91/4/5 with 1% lethal.
Clearly I shouldn't be playing battlegrounds.

Yikes. For what it's worth I've been on the giving end of odds like that and usually I've decided to get up and put the kettle on because it looks like a lost cause and then I'm roping my next minion purchase!

On the subject of battlegrounds, since I hit 3000 rating players have gotten a lot smarter. I can't really get away with stacking one clan unless it's insanely lucky like a very early Goldgrubber or Toxifin spam through Primalfin Lookout. Then again I'm not exactly sure what the meta is right now, or where to read up on it, beyond "Quilboar is no longer busted but is still the best clan".

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

A turn 7 solar eclipse > arbor up is downright disgusting (if not a little greedy) if you have board presence and can watch out for those pesky flamestrikes. A fun combo is glowfly swarm on 5, into solar eclipse + pride's fury on 6 to potentially flood the board with 4/8s. Or you could go power of the wild into soul of the forest on turn 6 and have a bunch of 3/3s that deathrattle into 2/2s. It's very flexible around that midpoint especially since people have cottoned on that it's worth coining to destroy the gibberling if need be.,

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 21, 2021

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I have exactly two functioning decks right now - token druid and secret paladin. The other day a daily quest to play ten shadow spells. That means playing, at the very least, five secret paladin games, and probably more since I don''t think Sword of the Fallen proccing a secret from your deck counts as playing a spell, and the only shadow spell I have is Oh My Yogg!

I immediately rerolled and got "play 25 minions". Got this in a single BG by just playing a pirate tribe game and recycling to buff up my Goldgrubber

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Today in battlegrounds I learnt the glory that is Baron Rivendare, Kangor's Apprentice and Kaboom Bot to explode an enemy team in great succession. It finally clicked that so many deathrattles are summons so Baron feels like a natural upgrade from Khadgar.

Oh and I finally learnt that if someone picks George the Fallen? Pack an Unstable Ghoul. Ancient knowledge by now but it's so fun to discover how much depth is in this silly mode.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

mcbexx posted:

The video doesn't have close captioning enabled, so if I may, I can translate:

Everytime Kibler says "Mhh hmm" or "Yup", what he actually means is "Oh gently caress that guy. Holy poo poo how is this possible. I hate this game so much."

That was phenomenal to watch. Subbed. Well played to Kibler for biting his tongue, I know if I saw that amount of utter BS heading my way I wouldn't have been able to keep my cool!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I have a daily quest to watch a friend win in Spectator mode. However I don't have any friends that play Hearthstone. So my bnet tag is Dunxco#2125 - if some folks could hit me up with a friend request so I can spectate and get the daily done I'd be deeply appreciative. I promise not to be a creepy stalker (I probably won't even contact you beyond the odd watching a match for when the daily comes up).

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Managed to come first with Shudderwock using a heavy murloc tribe group because its basically a budget Brann and murlocs love dem battlecries.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I do not understand how/why they are so slow to tweak Battleground heroes, specifically the hero powers. There's an obviously enormous power gap between Ysera and Alexstrasza (and for some reason I normally see them show up together in a given BG so they're always fighting over dragon availability), that if you're playing the latter and see the former pop up you might as well just concede because you ain't getting those dragons, might as well forget you have a hero power.

I feel the same about N'zoth but then Dunkey showed you can do some insane stuff with deathrattles:

https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/1400494326715715585

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Last King posted:

the older art style blizzard's artists used to draw was on another level. i'm not sure if there was a larger direction change that was pushed down on them, or if they just left but the new stuff sucks.

you can easily tell this in a quick comparison between the hero portraits:

the only one that might be better is illidan, but it's really sad that the quality has gone downhill and they've literally turned all of them into anime. the fact that these new portraits are paid rewards off of their battle pass is even more sad and insulting.

their best and most iconic art came out well over a decade ago (tbc, wotlk, etc.) and it feels like they've finally used up all of what's left.

Little late to this but I absolutely loathe the vanilla Illidan art, because I just get fixated on his thin, greasy- looking hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Flayer posted:

Hearthstone is for me the best 1v1 strategy game for phones.

This for me, but 8-man FFA Battlegrounds.

On a different topic, my new strategy with Priest is to simply never surrender. Might as well waste someone else's time if they're going to waste mine, right?